Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Velikost, thanks for the Horde.

If you are gonna try KOTH later today/tonight (Halloween) I'm still up for it

( already sent u a message on XBL but this is another reminder )

[quote name='jman619']Finally reached level 100. I'm so happy! =D[/QUOTE]

Congrats on getting your wings. I got mine during the last event during Labor Day weekend. It was such a goddamn grind at least for me (I went from 20 to 100 in a weekend). :wall:

I ended up doing wave 10 of Subway by myself last night so I just need Allfathers Garden 17-30 now. Can do the whole thing of course and willing to help others do other maps cause I'm still just at level 68 and still only have around 8000 kills.

I'm starting to think that I can't reach lvl 100 without Koth boosting cause I only get to play 3-5 hours of horde a night during xp promo weekends.

I'll hopefully be online tonight around 9-10 est.

[quote name='shosh']anyone need to get up to waves 10 on the flashback map packs?
or need 30 on allfathers garden on horde?[/QUOTE]

I still need those. I may be on around 9 est tonight, but not for sure as I'm beat from playing late the past couple nights.

Anyway, I still need the ones below. And like jdawgg I'm fine starting from the beginning and helping people with others (i.e. don't mind doing the two flashback maps I've already done 1-10 on again, or the early waves on some of the others etc.).

I also don't mind playing after the EXP weekend is over to knock out achievements as I don't care that much about trying to get to level 100.

1-10 on all Flashback maps (still need to do Gridlock, Mansion and Subway)
1-20 on Sanctuary (need all 20 waves)
1-20 on Waystation (need 10-20)
1-30 on All Father's Garden (need 6-30)
1-40 on Memorial (need 4-40)

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Congrats on getting your wings. I got mine during the last event during Labor Day weekend. It was such a goddamn grind at least for me (I went from 20 to 100 in a weekend). :wall:[/QUOTE]

Ah. I got up to 71 legit and thought it was going to take forever. This weekend someone asked me If I wanted to boost and I took them up on it. I believe it went from 71 to 94 with the boosting and I got from 94 to 100 legit. So from 1-71 legit and from 94-100 still seems like a big deal to me. Took forever to get to 71. I've been playing gears 2 on and off every since the day it came out. I think I'm almost done with it now. It got old a whole back,but I still play it every now and then.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I still need those. I may be on around 9 est tonight, but not for sure as I'm beat from playing late the past couple nights.

Anyway, I still need the ones below. And like jdawgg I'm fine starting from the beginning and helping people with others (i.e. don't mind doing the two flashback maps I've already done 1-10 on again, or the early waves on some of the others etc.).

I also don't mind playing after the EXP weekend is over to knock out achievements as I don't care that much about trying to get to level 100.[/QUOTE]

Hey I've been trying to get these too...if you guys wanna play tonight my gamertag is Matedawg611...let me know

[quote name='kylerg']How easy is Horde with Hween mode?[/QUOTE]

I would say from very easy to a bit challenging. The First few waves are a piece of cake, pretty much chainsaw everyone. It gets a bit hard when the Locust with guns come out since if you chainsaw someone and they are close, there is a pretty good chance you will get chainsawed.

I thought this mode was fun for about the first couple of waves and then it got boring.

Anyway, I got my wings, now to knockout other achievements.

I think it's easier than usual. You have to watch out not to get chainsawed, but at least you don't have to deal with Boomers, Grinders, Blood Mounts, Theron's with torque bows etc.

Just have to hang back and let the wretches and sires come to you and saw them up and make sure there isn't a guy with a chainsaw gun nearby. Try to shoot them from a distance.

Have a party of 4 or 5 doing that and it's damny easy and you should rarely fail a wave.

I've been playing Guardian exclusively cuz of the best points to XP exchange rate and got 83 to 94. I really wanna try to get 100 but I don't see it happening.

I'm still trying to do 46 to 50 on Underhill but it does get hard cuz the locust with guns like to rush you sometimes while you're chainsawing a sire.

I went from ~54 to ~93 from 1 night of boosting. Had some hiccups finding a match but I got some nice ones in. I can definitely mop up the last 7 today.

[quote name='jdawgg76']I'm starting to think that I can't reach lvl 100 without Koth boosting cause I only get to play 3-5 hours of horde a night during xp promo weekends. [/quote]

I don't see it happening... Maybe if you expand past the promo but I can honestly say it takes about 38 levels of Horde to get from level 89-90 when they have a 30x xp going on (as I did that this weekend) so you are looking at a massive amounts of Horde to do it Horde only.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']I don't see it happening... Maybe if you expand past the promo but I can honestly say it takes about 38 levels of Horde to get from level 89-90 when they have a 30x xp going on (as I did that this weekend) so you are looking at a massive amounts of Horde to do it Horde only.[/QUOTE]Damn. What difficulty was that on? I think I'm on 69 or 70 and that has been almost entirely from horde with around 20 and up coming during the xp promos. What time does it end? I thought it was 9am, but nnthomas seems to think it lasts long?

[quote name='nnthomas']Found this... apparently another xp boost Thanksgiving week. Probably not 31xp... but anything to help me clean up

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=749780[/QUOTE] I may be down for Koth during this one.

I got from 68-71 this past weekend, and I only played for a few hours on Friday and Saturday. Knocked out all of my Horde cheevos, all I have to do is level 100, and Seriously 2.0!

[quote name='dmaul1114']I still need that one, but can't play tonight.[/QUOTE]
well i can pretty much do any night, around 10 central. but still need 3 more players

[quote name='jdawgg76']Damn. What difficulty was that on? I think I'm on 69 or 70 and that has been almost entirely from horde with around 20 and up coming during the xp promos.[/QUOTE]It was social horde... So I think that's what normal but it might be hardcore.

And, I was in the same boat as you... Lots of Horde to rank up early on but the gaps between levels become huge.

Yeah after level 50 or so it starts to take ages. I got up to 57 or so just playing horde during the labor day event, but only got up 2 or so levels from horde this time.

I did do some KOTH boosting and gained 6 or 7 levels, think I'm at 69 now.

That KOTH boosting match had possibly the biggest douche I've encountered in live on our team though (a couple other cags and a random). He was already a level 100 and was just constantly sniping the other team and going for kills trying to ruin it for everyone. Then to top it off spewed every racial and gay slur in the book in taunting the other team in the lobby. :bomb:

You'd think people would have better things to do on a Saturday night than get online and try to ruin other's fun.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah after level 50 or so it starts to take ages. I got up to 57 or so just playing horde during the labor day event, but only got up 2 or so levels from horde this time.

I did do some KOTH boosting and gained 6 or 7 levels, think I'm at 69 now.

That KOTH boosting match had possibly the biggest douche I've encountered in live on our team though (a couple other cags and a random). He was already a level 100 and was just constantly sniping the other team and going for kills trying to ruin it for everyone. Then to top it off spewed every racial and gay slur in the book in taunting the other team in the lobby. :bomb:

You'd think people would have better things to do on a Saturday night than get online and try to ruin other's fun.[/QUOTE]
no they don't. i don't know why they just don't leave the game. one guy just stayed with us for probably over an hour just being a douche. but i did level up this weekend from lvl 3 to 89 using just a few koth boosting matches. makes up for being reset i guess

[quote name='hustletron']They will probably do a Christmas one too. I didn't get to play late last night unfortunately so I think I'm still at 94.[/QUOTE]Yeah, they've been pretty much doing most holidays recently and during other events as well, right? Didn't they do an event during E3 or something? There should be several between now and GoW3 and the fact that they've already announced the thanksgiving one is a promising sign. I know they can't double kills or anything. What about a horde event with only wretches. They would be easy kills and tons of them on each map. Got bookoos of kills in this last event as it was.

[quote name='shosh']well i can pretty much do any night, around 10 central. but still need 3 more players[/QUOTE]Allfathers was the last one I completed but I'm always down to play horde. Feel free to send me an invite if you see me online and need another player.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']It was social horde... So I think that's what normal but it might be hardcore.

And, I was in the same boat as you... Lots of Horde to rank up early on but the gaps between levels become huge.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I did some insane which was 7400 or something a level, hardcore was 6400 I think and normal in the 5000s believe.

Is the XP event over? Got an invite from a random I met last night and he claimed he had never logged out of the game since before the event was to end and he was still getting the extra XP. I joined and sure enough the waves were 90% wretches and sires and we were getting 4600 (give or take) xp per round.

I suggested we boost in KoTH so he started a social Koth and we were getting 15000 to 35000 a match. Is that the normal amount of xp or bonus amount? I presumed it was getting bonus xp cause a couple of his friends joined (before it was the two of us and bots) and one guy jumped from lvl 4 to lvl 13 then to lvl 21 in two matches.

Another crazy thing is that guy played as a skin I've never seen before. It looked like Dizzy with a doorag on. Another guy thought it was Marcus from Gears 3 or something. Couldn't ask him as he mostly spoke spanish and "don't speaka da english."

Still I only moved up from 70 to 72 tonight. But, I did get several steps towards achievements for playing on or winning on certain maps in mp as I've hardly played competetive mp. Very close to most of them and got the snowblind ones and thus the lvl 50 gear one. Funny thing is those bots can kick some ass, especially when your bots do bad things. Right before we quit a team of five very high xp'd players joined and we beat them in two games in a row with just us and our three bots. We thought it was weird that they were the only randoms to join in the hours we played.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've really been meaning to try and get on to get horde done. I don't think I have any of the horde mode achievements so I really need to get on the ball. My work schedule tends to make arranging any kind of game (not just on gears) kind of a pain though.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Is the XP event over? Got an invite from a random I met last night and he claimed he had never logged out of the game since before the event was to end and he was still getting the extra XP. I joined and sure enough the waves were 90% wretches and sires and we were getting 4600 (give or take) xp per round.

I suggested we boost in KoTH so he started a social Koth and we were getting 15000 to 35000 a match. Is that the normal amount or boosted? I presumed it was boosted cause a couple of his friends joined (before it was the two of us and bots) and one guy jumped from lvl 4 to lvl 13 then to lvl 21 in two matches.

Another crazy thing is that guy played as a skin I've never seen before. It looked like Dizzy with a doorag on. Another guy thought it was Marcus from Gears 3 or something. Couldn't ask him as he mostly spoke spanish and "don't speaka da english."

Still I only moved up from 70 to 72 tonight. But, I did get several steps towards achievements for playing on or winning on certain maps in mp as I've hardly played competetive mp. Very close to most of them and got the snowblind ones and thus the lvl 50 gear one. Funny thing is those bots can kick some ass, especially when your bots do bad things. Right before we quit a team of five very high xp'd players joined and we beat them in two games in a row with just us and our three bots. We thought it was weird that they were the only randoms to join in the hours we played.[/QUOTE]

35000 from a good boost session? That's awful. I got ~700000 from a solid boost match.

[quote name='nnthomas']35000 from a good boost session? That's awful. I got ~700000 from a solid boost match.[/QUOTE]

In a full boosting session you can get over 85k and 30k is not bad with the several bots involved.

[quote name='nnthomas']35000 from a good boost session? That's awful. I got ~700000 from a solid boost match.[/QUOTE]Oops. I'm gonna blame that on a lack of sleep. I should have typed that I suggested we boost Koth and we started a social koth, but we were just matched with bots until the very end. I meant to ask if that seemed like a regular amount of xp for a regular competitive KoTH match or if were still getting bonus xp, not boosted.

JDawgg, sorry I wasn't able to play last night, I lent my GoW2 disc to a friend. I'm going to pick it up this afternoon, so I'd be down for a bit of boosting or whatnot, tonight.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Well Epic just gave a big fuck you to all the Gears Players.

Only 10X XP for Thanksgiving Weekend.[/QUOTE]

Wow has epic really spoiled its community that much, and on a day (my bad 10 days) where we are supposed to give thanks? LOL Seriously though, Gears 3 doesnt come out for another year, which means a lot more holiday events for those who didnt reach level 100 yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The 7th Number']Wow has epic really spoiled its community that much, and on a day (my bad 10 days) where we are supposed to give thanks? LOL Seriously though, Gears 3 doesnt come out for another year, which means a lot more holiday events for those who didnt reach level 100 yet.[/QUOTE]Agreed, although deep down at first I had some of the same reaction as Vendetta, but I figured there was nowhere to go but lower. Yeah, it's a little disappointing, but when you think about it, we have gotten really spoiled with the last couple of events. 10 is still good especially assuming that there will still be several more events until G3 is out.

I've finished up horde, but will still be willing to help out others. Might just go for some KOTH boosting as well just to get close as I'm at 72 now and if all of the events are more in this range I don't want to have to do a mega boosting session near the end. I'll be getting AT&T's 6.0 DSL for 19.99 a month deal soon (unless someone here has had a bad experience with them) which will be a nice change from my 1.5 so I'll be eager to check out a less disadvantaged regular mp as well.

I'm surprised no games (especially military ones) did an event for veteran's day. Guess CoD woulda had one for MW2 if BO hadn't come out right before it. Still really surprised MoH didn't have one since CoD just came out.

Oh well, I may still be up for some Gears on Friday or Saturday of that weekend to knock out some of the horde achievements I still need. If I can pry myself away from Black Ops and Reach anyway.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Well Epic just gave a big fuck you to all the Gears Players.

Only 10X XP for Thanksgiving Weekend.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/misc/gears210xpevent

Good luck to all of you going for your wings. I figured they would at least do 30x due to some game that goes by the name of Call of Duty. I mean who plays COD? ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah 10XP after that 31XP sounds weak and considering Black Ops is out. Epic should do more to get people to play Gears 2. I already got my wings and don't have gold so I guess I'll miss this whole Thanksgiving XP event although I played it last year during Thanksgiving and the year before that. I feel like I should play it since I have the past two,but I won't be doing that this year.

[quote name='nnthomas']Rod said they would do something for Horde to help with Seriously 2.0 as well

I need a ton of Horde achievements so I am interested[/QUOTE]I've been thinking that if they just flood every round with wretches it could help. It would mean more enemies per round and easy kills/faster rounds.

Wow, no wonder it's 10x since it lasts about a week and a half.

i hope enemies count for 10x to help with seriously.
i mean i got this game day one and played a lot and im only halfway. i refuse to grind the burmak stage for pointless griding

[quote name='jdawgg76']I've been thinking that if they just flood every round with wretches it could help. [/QUOTE]Even better if its nothing but tickers. One shot would kill the whole lot. ;)

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Even better if its nothing but tickers. One shot would kill the whole lot. ;)[/QUOTE]

^This. Add wretches too though for a bit of variety and have default weapons be the boom shot. Along with boom shot and frag nades as the default weapons on the map :D

[quote name='shosh']i hope enemies count for 10x to help with seriously.
i mean i got this game day one and played a lot and im only halfway. i refuse to grind the burmak stage for pointless griding[/QUOTE]It's been stated on the message boards by someone with the Gears people that it wasn't possible to be done, but that would try to find some way to help folks out a little bit. Halloween was a boost in the kill numbers I think. I got a lot more kills due to the numbers and easier opponents.

Tickers, not a bad idea. That would be an assload of little bombs running around!

bread's done
Back