Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='dmaul1114']A lot of people who usually play it are probably playing Black Ops this weekend for the Double XP event as well. So that may have cut down the pool of people playing it this weekend.

I'm sure there will be a lot on next week with the Gears XP event.[/QUOTE]
Yeah the EX weekends are when everyone comes out and plays again.

I need the wingman achievements anyway as I've never even tried that mode out so I'll be looking to pla some wingman if anyone else wants to join in. Will be down for some horde as well.

[quote name='jdawgg76']I need the wingman achievements anyway as I've never even tried that mode out so I'll be looking to pla some wingman if anyone else wants to join in. Will be down for some horde as well.[/QUOTE]

I'll be on playing wingman, especially since we're getting the bonus XP. It's been awhile since I've played wingman, but when I did play, I was pretty successful.

Damn. We all missed out on a 22XP event from 2-28 to 3-7. 22 for the amount of pounds lost by Rod Ferguson on a diet. Coulda gotten close to wings in that too. Oh well.

I still need some horde achievements and stuff like Wingman as well. Doubt I'll bother boosting as I'm still a ways away from 100 (don't remember exactly where, somewhere in the high 60's to low 70s I think).

Gears lost, so no XP weekend? I can't believed I missed the other one, too. Kicking myself for every big chunk that I miss. I don't play otherwise, so I want to hit every XP bonus I can.

Hopefully they still do an event for those of you still looking to get your wings even though Gears lost the voting. Makes sense that they would try to keep people's interest up with the beta coming shortly.

Also, this probably doesn't apply to many people here, but they are currently running 22x/44x XP on Horde only in the Japanese version of GoW2 ONLY! That works out to 5,500xp per wave of horde on insane. This version of the game was never updated past one of the earlier title updates (TU4 I believe) so they are still on the original xp scale with no option to play social matches and no way to even chose your game type (you chose horde, wingman or players choice which includes the other game modes). This is running for the 'foreseeable future' so its probably a good idea to get on it quickly. If anyone has the game here send me a message. I'm trying to do 2 or 3 hours a night of security boosting so I don't go insane.

I don't know how you guys move up so fast, even with multi-xp. The last few times I got in, I played for hours and only moved up 10 or 20 levels...I must really suck, or I've been playing the wrong gametypes (TDM, Horde).

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I don't know how you guys move up so fast, even with multi-xp. The last few times I got in, I played for hours and only moved up 10 or 20 levels...I must really suck, or I've been playing the wrong gametypes (TDM, Horde).[/QUOTE]

That's it. People boost in King of the Hill by just capturing and recapturing the spot over and over--have to have two teams of boosters and switch which is boosting each round etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure we're getting bonus XP right now. Normal difficulty on Horde nets you 2700 xp per round, which seems way high to me... I'm playing annex and getting 17,000-24,000 xp per round...

18xp weekend for those waiting for the beta to start on the 18th according to the epic forums. Wish I knew yesterday. Looks like I'll be playing tonight when I get off work and tomorrow night. No end date listed, but I'm guessing it ends when the beta begins.

[quote name='jdawgg76']18xp weekend for those waiting for the beta to start on the 18th according to the epic forums. Wish I knew yesterday. Looks like I'll be playing tonight when I get off work and tomorrow night. No end date listed, but I'm guessing it ends when the beta begins.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Not getting into the Beta made me randomly boot up the game, and I've made it from 86-88 in a matter of hours :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Looks like the 18x will last until either Monday or next Friday, I'm guessing. If it's as jdawgg says, then until Monday.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Sweet! Not getting into the Beta made me randomly boot up the game, and I've made it from 86-88 in a matter of hours :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Looks like the 18x will last until either Monday or next Friday, I'm guessing. If it's as jdawgg says, then until Monday.[/QUOTE]Definitely Monday since it's 18xp for the 18th. It'd be nice if they did a 25 xp leading up to next week's beta. I preordered GoW3 at GS today to get my beta code.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I still need some horde achievements and stuff like Wingman as well. Doubt I'll bother boosting as I'm still a ways away from 100 (don't remember exactly where, somewhere in the high 60's to low 70s I think).[/QUOTE]At 18xp it's not too grinding yet, although we're only about halfway as strange as that sounds. Played horde for about an hour and went from halfway through 76 to halfway through 77. I guess if I could get to 80 tonight I'll be happy. The real challenge will be 100,000 kills. I have 9,000 or so right now.

EDIT: Just checked the Gears forums and the official XP thread states the xp event ends monday at 9am EST.

[quote name='jdawgg76']At 18xp it's not too grinding yet, although we're only about halfway as strange as that sounds. Played horde for about an hour and went from halfway through 76 to halfway through 77. I guess if I could get to 80 tonight I'll be happy. The real challenge will be 100,000 kills. I have 9,000 or so right now.

EDIT: Just checked the Gears forums and the official XP thread states the xp event ends monday at 9am EST.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've played through the campaign multiple times (co-op with my friend) and have played tons of online multiplayer (horde and otherwise), and I only have 40,000 kills... I'm going to have to grind for Seriously 2.0 when I'm ready for it.

I'm definitely down for 18x XP till Monday though, I hope to get to level 90!

Damn, wish I'd known about he event and I'd have tried top lay some Horde with you guys last night instead of Black Ops. Doubt I'll be able to play tonight.

Got to level 90 tonight! I'm gonna need some serious xp to get my wings, though. I still need 1,902,722 xp for level 100, apparently... I did get about 600,000 this weekend, so maybe level 100 is closer than I think.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Jeez, how did you get your hands on the Japanese version of Gears?[/QUOTE]

It is actually pretty easy to find, but DV8mad here at CAG got my copy for me. Just so you know you also need an NTSC-J console in order to play it.

Well after about 40 hours of security boosting over the past 10 days I got my wings in Gears 2 JP version last night! :bouncy: Can't believe I made it to level 100 in both the US and Japanese version of the game. Never would have even tried if it wasn't for them instituting the XP events. I'd like to think I can get the last few achievements in the Japanese version, but there is an achievement for competing all 50 horde waves on all 29 maps. :hot: Not sure I can bring myself to doing 80 more hours of horde...

after the gears 3 beta ends, I might get back to 2 to get the last two achievements (seriously 2.0 and co-op dc). then maybe a cag session for gears1!

[quote name='jdawgg76']Bonus XP still going on.[/QUOTE]

No fuck way! Looks like I'll be leveling up a bit more! Hope the 18x stays until Monday when I get into the Beta, maybe I'll be able to get my wings!

Glad to hear the XP event is still going. I'll be able to play some this weekend most likely. Probably could hop on for a bit tonight, though I can't play past midnight EST as I have a morning appointment.

I'm not really interested in boosting, just need to knock out a few more horde achievements listed below. I'm more than willing to start from scratch on any of them to help others.

1-10 on all Flashback maps (still need to do Gridlock, Mansion and Subway)
1-20 on Sanctuary (need all 20 waves)
1-20 on Waystation (need 10-20)
1-30 on All Father's Garden (need 6-30)
1-40 on Memorial (need 4-40)

[quote name='dmaul1114']Glad to hear the XP event is still going. I'll be able to play some this weekend most likely. Probably could hop on for a bit tonight, though I can't play past midnight EST as I have a morning appointment.

I'm not really interested in boosting, just need to knock out a few more horde achievements listed below. I'm more than willing to start from scratch on any of them to help others.[/QUOTE]

I'll be on consistently tomorrow night and definitely down for helping you out with Horde. My weekend's looking pretty busy, but I'm free at 7 EST tomorrow.

I really want to part take in this double XP thing, but if I play this, it means I'll be missing out on the GoW3 beta. Hopefully they have more double xp days or weeks as the release date of GoW3 nears.

[quote name='drktrpr1']I'll be on consistently tomorrow night and definitely down for helping you out with Horde. My weekend's looking pretty busy, but I'm free at 7 EST tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. I'll hop on tomorrow evening for sure. Probably around 8-9 pm est.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Sounds good. I'll hop on tomorrow evening for sure. Probably around 8-9 pm est.[/QUOTE]

See you then. I'll probably be playing annex until you get on, but I'll drop off and wait for your horde invite when you do. I'm sure any other CAGs would be welcome as well.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I really want to part take in this double XP thing, but if I play this, it means I'll be missing out on the GoW3 beta. Hopefully they have more double xp days or weeks as the release date of GoW3 nears.[/QUOTE]

I'm SURE they will, there's always a big event around July 4th (usually involving Boomers and Therons with torque bows:bouncy:). 2009 was double XP and 2010 was 8x xp, so this year will probably be 100x xp haha.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Sounds good. I'll hop on tomorrow evening for sure. Probably around 8-9 pm est.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='drktrpr1']See you then. I'll probably be playing annex until you get on, but I'll drop off and wait for your horde invite when you do. I'm sure any other CAGs would be welcome as well.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to join in on that if I can. I'm still pretty low in level (somewhere between 10-20 I think) but since I need most of the Horde achievements still , I can at least make progress in 2 things at once.

Sounds great guys. I have you both on my friends list so I'll send invites when I get on and see you on tomorrow night.

Anyone else that wants to join in, shoot me a friend request if you're not already on my list.

I haven't played since the Halloween XP event I think, so I'll be pretty rusty for a bit!

[quote name='drktrpr1']See you then. I'll probably be playing annex until you get on, but I'll drop off and wait for your horde invite when you do. I'm sure any other CAGs would be welcome as well.[/QUOTE]

Crap. I swear I'm getting senile....

I have tickets to the Hawks-Magic game tomorrow night, so I won't be home until 11pm or later, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get on and play at all tomorrow night. If I do it will be 11pm to midnight when I get on.

StarKnight, I'll be around as planned even if dmaul can't make it. I'm about to friend you, so if I see you online I'll invite you to a horde session and we can knock out some of your achievements.

XBL = Dark Trooper 87

Sorry about last night. I got on around 9 and saw that drktrpr1 was playing annex still , so I figured I'd do some practice horde rounds to warm up. I was so tired I was doing terrible. Should have just called off playing last night. Sometime between 9:30 and 10 I just shut the system down and went to bed.

Would anyone be up for trying something tomorrow?

Wow, I missed alot of 18xp with my surgery.

Just a heads up that on the epic Gears 2 forums Cher (mod and part of epic I think and always runs threads about XP events) has a thread that states that Rod Ferguson has given the approval for an XP event sometime shortly after the beta ends. No word on xp amount or game changes or exact start/end. I've got some mp achievements to knock out, but I'm down for horde as well.

bread's done
Back