Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

nnthomas, I'll host a session on Thursday. For all those who need the:

UPmbwds=.jpg
TRIAL BY, AND ON, FIRE (20G) - Survive Waves 1-10 on a Combustible Map Pack

Meet me online at 6:30 PM, EST on Thursday and I will host a game. Register here if you need the cheevo or just want to help out. I'll friend those that post and say they can.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Got from 79 to 82 last night. Some was social horde with randoms who were doing insane like that, then some friends ranked who insisted on going thru 50, then convinced the remaining two to do insane. On River the three of us lasted to round 8 twice.

I need the annex achieves and that xp sounds mighty nice.[/QUOTE]
The worst part of the Annex achievements isn't that you have to play with the lousy random players who never actually go for the objective...it's that you have to play on specific maps to get the achievements, while playing with the random online players who never go for the objective. I have yet to play a game of Annex on Flood, but I'm sure when I do it'll be painful to watch my team blow it.

If you make achievements like that, you should make DLC playlists with specific map packs selectable for rotation.

[quote name='drktrpr1']nnthomas, I'll host a session on Thursday. For all those who need the:

UPmbwds=.jpg
TRIAL BY, AND ON, FIRE (20G) - Survive Waves 1-10 on a Combustible Map Pack

Meet me online at 6:30 PM, EST on Thursday and I will host a game. Register here if you need the cheevo or just want to help out. I'll friend those that post and say they can.[/QUOTE]
I'm in.

That's ok... I probably cant get on either. I am getting set up with new internet on Saturday - this hickville DSL pushed me to the point of going with a Cable provider.

anyone else get like a random delay sometimes when shooting the gnasher? i'll pull the trigger, and nothing will happen, i'll pull again and it'll shoot at a delay, it's weird and has gotten me killed more than a few times in the past couple days.

besides that though, looks like I'll make it to 75+ which is better than I thought I'd do, hopefully get another xp event but I doubt it.

I hit 86, with luck I can make it to 90 before it's over, but without another event or three, level 100 isn't going to happen. I really only play this when they've got a bonus event, I've got MLB the Show, Motorstorm Apocalypse, and Wizardry that I could be playing right now that I've been ignoring for this. Maybe some late night KotH boosting will help. Any West Coasters or late night peeps look me up. I try to get on at 11pm and go til 2am or so depending on the quality of game.

I've gotten to level 89, just under 90, up from 79. I thought I'd be higher by now, but I haven't been able to play during the day and I've been starting later at night as well. Really hoped to knock it out this week. If anyone wants to team up for mp I need most of the achievements as well. I haven't even tried wingman or annex and need to win on the right maps for several other achievements. I need a team, though, cause every time I've tried recently I get matched with randoms against a good team and get slaughtered.

Hopefully, there will be a 4th of July event and a pre-launch of gears 3 to hype it up event cause I don't think I'll make the last ten levels the next two days, especially with this weekends free movie channel preview on Directv.

I'm hoping for a 4th of July thing as well... I just don't know if it'll be as high as 30 again.

I went from 76 to 85, but after level 82 I just found myself bored. Too many people joining into games, then leaving their controller, costing me games.

I finally got into Annex games of Flood and Fuel Station, with me also hosting each map one time, and had people join my team just to go idle the during the game. This better be addressed in Gears of War 3. They shouldn't just kick you out of the game for being idle, they need to seriously punish your XP. It ruins the game and encourages jackass behavior.

Last night... lets get some Horde in. Message me, I'll be on majority of the day just farting around Insane Horde getting as much XP as I can.

Will be on this evening for horde/mp/koth boosting. Will stay up aas late as possible to get as much xp boost in. Halfway thru 91 now.

Sorry I couldn't make it on at all, guys. Thursday my girlfriend lost her keys at work and needed help finding them, Friday through Sunday afternoon I was out of town, and last night when I really wanted to hop on, we had some really bad storms and lost power. Karma really didn't want me to play Gears...

I did manage to get to level 97 through just playing two nights last week, and only need around 800,000 xp for my wings.

Looking for a couple guys to flip Memorial and/or Nowhere Thursday night. Time TBD depending on the squad.

Also, any suggestions for the Snowblind map to flip?

[quote name='depascal22']Looking for a couple guys to flip Memorial and/or Nowhere Thursday night. Time TBD depending on the squad.

Also, any suggestions for the Snowblind map to flip?[/QUOTE]

Whichever you decide on, message me. I need to 1-50 a Snowblind map and all of Dark Corners.

[quote name='depascal22']Looking for a couple guys to flip Memorial and/or Nowhere Thursday night. Time TBD depending on the squad.

Also, any suggestions for the Snowblind map to flip?[/QUOTE]Underhill or Grind(yard?) In UH you can hole up in the garage and there's a shield right there with only one door. I did 50 with some other CAGs on Grindyard ( I think that's the name ). You can hit the spawns from the nearby buildings which are connected by the raised walkway which has a ramp down to the center building which is another good place to fire around the map.

Thanks to the extension of the xp event I've moved up further from 93 to 98. Will get winged tonite if 30xp is still going on. Haven't really played with any CAGs this event, but it would awesome to get a 5 man team and do custom horde. Then you can choose insane difficuly for the most xp, choose your map and just restart at wave 1 whenever you fail (as opposed to getting stuck with a social host who repeatedly tries to beat wave ten).

Aw crap, it's still going on? I went away for the weekend and got back Monday and didn't even bother to log in thinking it was over. I'm off tomorrow, so I hope they let it go for one more day, I'll try to jump on tonight as well. I think I didn't even break 87.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']yea we should get a group together tonight if its still going[/QUOTE]I'll be on somewhere around 10 or 11 est and can play till 3. I have 3 or 4 Live friends who have been playing some that I might be able to get to join up.

Redeema, yeah it gets so slow in the 80s, but playing 1-3 minute rounds in horde at 7500xp a round fills that level up bar quick enough. If we did a custom horde like that I bet you could get to 95 in 3-4 hours. I'd be done a few days ago if not for wasted time dealing with randoms, searching for games, playing lower xp level games cause the best I can find are 4500xp a round, etc. Did some Insane with 3 players and made it to round ten on a few maps so five on insane can be fun while challenging.

Epic's XP and kill expectations are ridiculous. Considering that in the Call of Duty games if there is a 2x xp event I can run thru a full prestige and maybe a little more, I could max out my prestige in a weekend if they did 30xp like gears. Meanwhile, I played 4-6 hours a night for over a week and went from 79 to 98. A buddy of mine played a few hours one night and went from 1-35.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be on a bit tonight as well, and I'd love to play some Horde. Hopped on to report that I got the 30xp this morning on public horde before work, but you guys beat me to the punch.

Played some Horde with Jdawg and his friend, I hit 89 he's stuck on 99. I'd love for this to stretch out some more, but if they're planning on staying with the 30x XP until 3 comes out I'm not going to rush it, so I'd like to know if that's what they plan on doing. At the very least they should go 5x XP for the next 3 months. In the meantime I'm going to boost as much as I can.

Also, any suggestions for the Snowblind map to flip?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='nnthomas']Whichever you decide on, message me. I need to 1-50 a Snowblind map and all of Dark Corners.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']yea we should get a group together tonight if its still going[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Redeema']Played some Horde with Jdawg and his friend, I hit 89 he's stuck on 99. I'd love for this to stretch out some more, but if they're planning on staying with the 30x XP until 3 comes out I'm not going to rush it, so I'd like to know if that's what they plan on doing. At the very least they should go 5x XP for the next 3 months. In the meantime I'm going to boost as much as I can.[/QUOTE]My Live friend marauder and I played some more last nite and I finally reached 100. Funny thing, it's still counting experience for me like there's another level to go. Shows my current xp and the xp needed just like normal. Another friend who hit 100 the other day has it say Congratulations for reaching level 100 every round.

For those above looking to go for horde achievements, if I'm online feel free to invite me if you need another for a team as I never get tired of horde even though I'm at 100. Also, I'll be helping my buddy do those very same achievements anyway so we should team up if possible. He needs the Memorial, 50 on a snowblind, 50 on nowhere and maybe another, but he's trying to rank up as much as possible in the event after being reset previously.

As far as the xp bonus goes, marauder says he saw on the net that it'll go on until Gears 3 comes out, but he's not sure where he read it and it seems doubtful. I think the xp should be around 10x or 15x all of the time. That seems like a reasonable progression compared to the ridiculous normal rate the game has.

Well if you decide to go on with yer buddy, just send me an invite. Gears 2 isnt my primary game, but I'm up for changing if I get a message while I'm on.

XP bonus is gone for me. I assume I jumped on before they killed it (right at midnight on the west coast) because we were doing insane horde and after dying on wave 2 of canals we'd just go back and do wave 1. I was only getting 500 XP, so it must be over, but they were logged in, so they were probably still getting hooked up. I don't know. Hopefully they do a 4th of July event, preferably the all tickers thing because that one was easy and you didn't need to play to get the XP. Maybe people can lobby for that on their forums?

Oh and I went from 91 to 90 for some reason after only playing horde for the past few nights.

There is one for July 4th. 21 XP.

It's supposed to have Boomers, Tickers and Flaming Bloodmounts for Horde, as well as more ammo for explosives, like the last one.

[quote name='Redeema']21Xp will have to do, if it lasts a week I think I can hit 100. Only about 10 levels to go, of course they're the toughest 10.[/QUOTE]

no kidding. it's around 150K-200K just to level up a single level.

21x xp is seriously better than the usual 2xp. doh.

If you play several matches of Guardian and Annex, you should be able to go from 90-100 in a few days. I'm sure there are people on this site who still need the Achievements from those respective games who could help you obtain 100 at the same time.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']If you play several matches of Guardian and Annex, you should be able to go from 90-100 in a few days. I'm sure there are people on this site who still need the Achievements from those respective games who could help you obtain 100 at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Annex was netting somewhere between 15K - 40K each match during the 30x XP E3 event. But there are still dick hosts which kick people off before the match ends and denies players their earned XP.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Annex was netting somewhere between 15K - 40K each match during the 30x XP E3 event. But there are still dick hosts which kick people off before the match ends and denies players their earned XP. [/QUOTE]
hosts cant kick you in this game they can only quit

[quote name='Mospeada_21']July 4th XP event starts July 1, 9AM EST and runs through July 5, 9AM EST. Source: Epic Games Gears forum.[/QUOTE]
It's 21X xp.

Would it kill them to let it run all week? I mean, more people would play, so what's the problem? Why only have it run a weekend and have people play it for two days and go right back to whatever other current game they're playing, when they can have the 'traffic' for an entire week? I guess no wings for me this weekend since I work.

Played some Horde mode and I always forget the name of the maps, but it's in the snowblind map pack (I think, since it is snowy) where the stairs lead up to a mortar that alternates with a longshot. Anyway, 17 mortar shots makes short work of most enemies and twice I played on this map (once to wave 47 and the other time I had to quit after 14) and with two guys firing mortars it's super easy, since they reach the main spawn points. I racked up 400 kills easy in my journey to wave 47. Unfortunately, 2100xp/wave was only enough to get me 2/3 of the way to level 92. This event isn't going to be enough to get me to 100.

Seriously, stop playing Horde. Play Annex, Guardian or Wingman to get the most out of these weekends. The matches are fast and you get more points doing this. Even if you lose most games, you're bound to win a few where the points you make will greatly increase you level.

I stopped playing horde and did some annex and king of the hill and remembered why I only play horde. The game makes me feel like I'm terrible, there were cheaters, quitters, and people who just kept disturbing the peace by joining and quitting repeatedly. It sucked.

[quote name='Redeema']I stopped playing horde and did some annex and king of the hill and remembered why I only play horde. The game makes me feel like I'm terrible, there were cheaters, quitters, and people who just kept disturbing the peace by joining and quitting repeatedly. It sucked.[/QUOTE]

ain't it the truth.

That's the snowblind map that I need waves 35-50 to get the snowblind horde achievement. If you're doing horde again and have a crew of 3-4, toss me an invite. GT is velvet396

Got my wings last week before the July 4th event, so glad to get that out of the way. No I can just dick around in the campaign to boost for Seriously 2.0 :)

Thanks to all the CAGs that played horde with me!

bread's done
Back