Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Played some great matches of King of the Hill yesterday. Met two new guys to add to our party so we ended up having a great team of five guys. It's refreshing to play with and against people that don't feel the need to cheat.

[quote name='decrot']does anyone know how people do the sideways cartwheel jump. im so sick of my character moving so slowly.[/quote]

A+ Left or Right...

[quote name='BackInBlack']A+ Left or Right...[/quote]
its not like a regular roll, its like they spin one way but jump the other way.

Are you talking about a way they cartwheel over objects?

In gears 1 I remember you would see other players do this animation randomly when vaulting over things, but it never actually showed your own player do it. That's just the way it was. Maybe the same thing in gears 2.

Maybe he's referring to jumping over barricades? I think different characters each have their own animations. The helmeted guy, whose name escapes me does a flip over stuff unlike the others who basically just hop over them.

I like the idea of them redoing the ranking system, I'd play more ranked matches if they did instead of playing horde exclusively.

naw, just some players are able to maneuver very well in the game. I'm always running then sticking to walls. i just want to be able to maneuver better.

[quote name='decrot']I'm always running then sticking to walls. i just want to be able to maneuver better.[/quote]
Go to control options and max out your turn/look sensitivity.

Anyone up for going though Co-Op on hardcore or insane, my tag is the same as my name here.
I still need to do an Insane run and I am usually on by 10 pm (and play to 1 am). Add me to your friends list and I will look for you when I get on.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I haven't. Might be on tonight late.[/quote]
add me then. Ill be on tonite too. hopefully some other folks will join

[quote name='thrustbucket']Is anyone really playing this anymore? Or is the serious downtime between matches turning everyone off?[/QUOTE]

What downtime?

I usually get into a match in about 30 seconds.

what's the cag gt? I wanna finish up horde (3 or 36 was my highest wave) and get the flashback horde achievement (I dont have combustible pack yet).

[quote name='seanr1221']What downtime?

I usually get into a match in about 30 seconds.[/QUOTE]

The downtime that's been discussed here a lot.

The fact that if you say, have 2 hours to play, you can get far more actual PLAY TIME in Gears 1 than Gears 2 because of forced ranked matches, no player matches, 30 second scoreboard timer, shitty matchmaking sometimes.

I know several people that have quit because of this. They don't have a lot of time to play, and it feels very wasteful to spend 1/3 of the time in lobby's or staring at scoreboards.

In Gears 1 you could literally play 2 or 3 solid hours without ever seeing a loboby. The only break being loading the next match.

When I do play, I only play territories now. Because Warzone/Execution is over too quickly which = more waiting.

I'm EXTREMELY interested in this part.

"We also have some improved standby detections, but we don't want to go into too much detail, because we don't want to give away what we're doing. Essentially, we're able to tell when people are standby and we're able to penalize them in a sort of undercover kind of way."

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']glad with the update but gears needs more to bring me back.[/quote]

I agree that Gears needs something to bring me back, but this isn't it. The EXP system sounds fine...until they get to the part about achievements being awarded for leveling up. It's so arbitrary.

They also need to make the Combustible Map Pack free.

The only thing they need to do in order for me to go back is to make it harder for people to standby. I really hope this new update does some severe damage to those people.

i need some people to help me get a match on public for annex at tyro station. i've been playing for weeks and most people will not vote for it. add my tag or send me a pm. you need to have the flashpack maps.

[quote name='shinryuu']I wonder if they're going to make the last map pack free... please.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft won't let them, even though they want to.

It is highly unusual that you get new achievements from just a free patch though.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Good updates. But I'm amazed they still won't give us player matches.[/quote]

It seems that Player Matches are going by the waist side, though. Mainly in favor of vs. Everyone and vs. Friends. No middle ground to play with friends vs. everyone for fun.

A nice but long over due update. I can't say I'm looking forward to being penalized for dipping out due to atrocious lag or time constraints, but I am glad the old ranks are sitting on the bench where they belong. It's nearly impossible for me to rank up when every third, fourth and fifth rank quit like little bitches mid-game if it isn't in their favor thus hustling me out of deserved experience. ;\

No public matches = FAIL.

Seriously, i dont care for leveling up, just playing against randoms on all maps is what i want, just like gears 1. Why does epic fail at this so hard?

Ultimately it seems like if they added public matches everyone would be happy outside of weapon balancing. But I guess you can only get so much. Hopefully GOW3 has public matches on release.

what are "public matches"?

anyway I hope the Combustible Map pack becomes free soon or at least drops by 50% which is when I'll bite. These new maps seem interesting but the $20 rumor price (1600 pts) is a bit much

Public matches are like GOW1 where you can join someone's game, even in progress, and then cycle through maps you specify indefinitely, all the while as people drop out others can join.

Many of us prefer it to wasting time in lobbies after every match. And many of us don't care about ranks, we just like to play.

oh so I guess it's essentially the same as Private matches now [in Gears 2], though I wouldn't really like the joining of games in progress already (as in actual game play not the lobby where choosing game type etc)

I just got the maps that came out a couple of months ago and want to start playing this game a lot. Any CAGs that frequently play this game together?

[quote name='Gamer SDP']oh so I guess it's essentially the same as Private matches now [in Gears 2], though I wouldn't really like the joining of games in progress already (as in actual game play not the lobby where choosing game type etc)[/quote]

Kind of but, you're playing random people instead. It would be great considering that in Gears 1 I NEVER got standby'ed.

[quote name='thrustbucket']

Many of us prefer it to wasting time in lobbies after every match. And many of us don't care about ranks, we just like to play.[/quote]

I agree with this comment.

[quote name='doodle777_98']Anyone notice that joining teams of 3 or less have seem to increase as of late.[/quote]

Yep. People are booted and lagging hard out of games. Oh, and Waffles I'm pretty sure you're on my FL and I play a reasonable amount with a lot of different people so if you want to squad up just send me an invite.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Yep. People are booted and lagging hard out of games. Oh, and Waffles I'm pretty sure you're on my FL and I play a reasonable amount with a lot of different people so if you want to squad up just send me an invite.[/quote]Sounds good, I'm not sure if I'm getting the new map pack yet, but if I start enjoying Gears online, I'll get it. I prefer just playing with bots right now since it starts so quickly.

bread's done
Back