Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']This to a T. Gears 1 was so much better for the multiplayer aspect that 2.

Also to those complaining about us calling people douchebags and dickbags... what is the fun for said dickbag going in and killing people standing still? Cuz you know that requires so much skill... :roll:[/QUOTE]

The only thing that really sucked about Gears 1 was quitters. If it wasn't for the quitters I probably would still be playing the shit out of that game.

I don't have the hostility that many do for Gears 2, but Gears 1 is so much better.

Last night I went from being overjoyed that I reached level 100 to being completely frustrated with the imbalance of Gears 2 multiplayer in just one hour of playing Annex mode. I don't blame the mode so much as the game itself. I lost track of how many times I ended up dead on the floor without even seeing or hearing a shot. Is that what is considered a lag kill?

[quote name='daphatty']For reference, I've made it from lvl 44 to 97 in about 8 hours playing in two hour increments. I haven't had much trouble finding Koth boosting groups. With any luck I should hit 100 in the next two games.[/QUOTE]

I hate you. I played over 3 hours yesterday and couldn't fine one boosting group. Went from 51 to 54 :/

If anyone wants to play at all during the XP weekend go ahead and add me on live. I'm down for anything Horde/Boosting/anything else. Though, I will warn you, I'm not very good at multiplayer, decent at Horde.

GT: bringnthaheat24

EDIT: NVM Not going to even bother boosting, but I'm down to play horde if anyone wants to.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LinkinPrime']I hate you. I played over 3 hours yesterday and couldn't fine one boosting group. Went from 51 to 54 :/[/QUOTE]

I might have played it 4 hours total and I haven't found a single boosting group either. I've went from 63 to 68.

I know I'm really late to the party, but if anyone is doing one of those King of the Hill boosting sessions and you need an extra man/have an opening, shoot me a message. I'll likely be on all night

I have a question for those of you having trouble finding boosting groups.

How are you connecting to the internet? Wireless or Wired?

I have a theory that I developed regarding GoW2's matchmaking system. Several months back I was having a hell of a time getting into Horde groups. In most cases, the game would end up making me the host and few people would join. I couldn't explain why this was the case so on a whim I decided to pull out my 100' Ethernet cable and wire up the 360. To say my problem was solved is an understatement. I still don't know why my wireless connection caused so many problems but frankly I don't care. It works flawlessly now so you might want to give it a try.

Mother fucker. Got my wings last night, played some co-op with my son today and I went to sign in to play some horde and my rank was back to 1. GRRR. Well after one match I am level 43 and climbing :) Might cap at 50 since I only need to be 50 to finish my horde achievements. Thank goodness my level 100nachievement popped last night.

Just knocked out the Veteran Gear Achievement. IMO the more people that get their wings the harder it will be to boost xp events.

/edit: I find it funny I still don't have the 1999 achievement.

I'm sure as hell not getting anywhere with this bonus weekend. I just played for a little over 2 hours, after choosing to play Madden and NHL with friends rather than Gears on Friday and Saturday, and spent that time trying to boost after being put in a game with all bots to start. We'd always get 5-6 people, but then be stuck with bots, or occasionally someone would not wish to boost and would start killing.

I went from a 59-68, only getting in 4 complete games- 2 of them boosting- before I said, "fuck it" and got off. I wish I had tried to play on Friday and Saturday, but it's just not that much fun for me, even playing legitimately, if I'm into at least with a couple friends. I guess that's why I didn't play this weekend till now.

I want to get to 100 just for the achievements. I do like the game when played legitimately, but there's no way I'd have the time nor the attention span to get to 100 legitimately. Too many games unplayed already, and many more coming out in the next few months.

If there's a CAG group, I'll try boosting again Monday evening before the XP bonus is gone. If I/we can't find a good group for that, I'll join people for Horde achievements. A few CAGs invited me to Horde the past couple nights, but I declined.

Still, I'm sure there will be at least 2 more bonus XP weekends between now and Gears 3... right? :whistle2:\ Before, I just would have stayed up and stayed on due to severe insomnia. But now that I've been sleeping on consecutive days, I don't want to mess that up.

Probably, but you can still make some good progress toward it if you're lucky. I came back to ask, since many sites surprisingly don't specify- the event ends at 6 A.M. Pacific Tuesday, right?

[quote name='Matt Young']Probably, but you can still make some good progress toward it if you're lucky. I came back to ask, since many sites surprisingly don't specify- the event ends at 6 A.M. Pacific Tuesday, right?[/QUOTE]

yeah 6 am pacific on the 7th. And if people on here want to make a KOTH boosting party im up for it tomorrow just message me or add me

I'll be on again tonight and my son can join as he still needs to get his wings to get his achievement. I want to get mine back just because :)

I'm going to try to be on tonight again. I'm more interested in going for some of the 'Beat waves 1-10 on Map X' Horde achievements, the bonus XP is just a bonus. :) So if anyone is planning some Horde on Highway or War Machine or whatever, please send an invite. Thanks!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm going to try to be on tonight again. I'm more interested in going for some of the 'Beat waves 1-10 on Map X' Horde achievements, the bonus XP is just a bonus. :) So if anyone is planning some Horde on Highway or War Machine or whatever, please send an invite. Thanks![/QUOTE]
Send me an invite. I had 30-40 done on Highway and 17/20 on war machine before my stats went to heck.

I've barely played any horde, so doing waves 1-10 on any map is cool with me. I keep on getting kicked out of horde maps because apparently I am not good enough to hang with all of the cool high level guys lol.

[quote name='DeskLaser']I've barely played any horde, so doing waves 1-10 on any map is cool with me. I keep on getting kicked out of horde maps because apparently I am not good enough to hang with all of the cool high level guys lol.[/QUOTE]

I dont see how they can kick you out, unless they leave themselves. I know the message can be misleading when it says the host removed you, or something similar. But that really isnt the case.

Went from Level 5 to 28 in about 4 Horde matches. Don't need to get to 100. I just had fun jumping over 20 levels in a few fun filled hours.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm going to try to be on tonight again. I'm more interested in going for some of the 'Beat waves 1-10 on Map X' Horde achievements, the bonus XP is just a bonus. :) So if anyone is planning some Horde on Highway or War Machine or whatever, please send an invite. Thanks![/QUOTE]Haha, we had a group together last night and did both of those. I've had a major migraine all day that I just can't kick so no playing tonight for me. Hope you guys had fun.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Haha, we had a group together last night and did both of those. I've had a major migraine all day that I just can't kick so no playing tonight for me. Hope you guys had fun.[/QUOTE]
It's cool, kklems and DeskLaser and I were able to knock out a few cheevs last night. I think I went from level 15 to 38 by the time it was said and done. Hopefully they're not totally finished with these events!

ETA: So, do we get to keep the gold Lancers now?

[quote name='jdawgg76']Haha, we had a group together last night and did both of those. I've had a major migraine all day that I just can't kick so no playing tonight for me. Hope you guys had fun.[/QUOTE]

Hope you've gotten rid of that! Was a blast playing the night before.

I'm definitely up for going for some more horde achievements in the future. If nothing else we should knock out the other two combustible map pack 1-10 horde to get the achievement for that map pack.

[quote name='seanr1221']The best part of this weekend is killing boosters, it's hilarious.[/QUOTE]

I think you hopped into one of my last few games that I needed to boost in to get my Wings.

It was funny listening to people bitch when they got killed.

Most of the time my team dealt with people that killed us. So it wasn't more than just a little hassle to deal with. My buddy and I are going for some horde tonight :D

[quote name='seanr1221']The best part of this weekend is killing boosters, it's hilarious.[/QUOTE]

I think I ran into Traken and another mod from here on Friday, the only day I went hunting...well the gt's looked like their cag names :roll:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It's cool, kklems and DeskLaser and I were able to knock out a few cheevs last night. I think I went from level 15 to 38 by the time it was said and done. Hopefully they're not totally finished with these events!

ETA: So, do we get to keep the gold Lancers now?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hope you've gotten rid of that! Was a blast playing the night before.

I'm definitely up for going for some more horde achievements in the future. If nothing else we should knock out the other two combustible map pack 1-10 horde to get the achievement for that map pack.[/QUOTE]Between these two groups ad anyone else from this thread that wants to join in, we should be able to get a group of five together pretty easily and do some custom horde to pick maps and knock out the horde achivements pretty easily. When's the next time anyone can play? I can play most nights between 9pm to 1am EST. And thanks dmaul, hopefully the migraines are done. Went to the dentist today and got that fillingless tooth taken care of and he said it was most likely the problem.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']The only thing that really sucked about Gears 1 was quitters. If it wasn't for the quitters I probably would still be playing the shit out of that game.

I don't have the hostility that many do for Gears 2, but Gears 1 is so much better.[/QUOTE]

Gahhhh I forgot about the quitters in Gears 1.... On my old tag, my friends & I would shred people and then the quitting starts... It was because we all had good teamwork from playing Halo 2 so much with each other.

Hopefully Epic takes a page out of Bungie's supposed fix for quitters in Reach and apply that to GoW III. :D

[quote name='jdawgg76']Between these two groups ad anyone else from this thread that wants to join in, we should be able to get a group of five together pretty easily and do some custom horde to pick maps and knock out the horde achivements pretty easily. When's the next time anyone can play? I can play most nights between 9pm to 1am EST.[/QUOTE]
I'll probably be on tonight. I still need all of the 'Play 10 waves on every map in X Map Pack' cheevs, plus the 50 wave achievement. If we want to do 50, we can pick a Snowblind map and get Icy Dead People at the same time.

I actually lost my Gears of War (1) campaign data today. I was on chapter 5 too, on insane. At least I hadn't put any time into boosting the mp because I'm sure that is all gone now too.

So the only achievement I still need is Seriously 2.0; anyone interested in letting me kill you roughly 87k times? Can't say I'm especially excited to spend 29 hours grinding the first 60 seconds of the Brumak level out to do it in campaign.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'll probably be on tonight. I still need all of the 'Play 10 waves on every map in X Map Pack' cheevs, plus the 50 wave achievement. If we want to do 50, we can pick a Snowblind map and get Icy Dead People at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Hit me up for those tonight

Quick question.
Does the Game of the Year have DLC codes or an extra disc like Fable 2 and Mass Effect?

The reason I asked cause my local Play n Trade had it used for $9.99. My friends have this game and wanna try it. For $10 would be sweet if it has the DLC on disc.

thx a bunch

[quote name='jdawgg76']Between these two groups ad anyone else from this thread that wants to join in, we should be able to get a group of five together pretty easily and do some custom horde to pick maps and knock out the horde achivements pretty easily. When's the next time anyone can play? I can play most nights between 9pm to 1am EST. [/QUOTE]

I can probably do that time Saturday night. Might could hop on Friday night as well, but probably not until 10 or 11 pm EST.

[quote name='adriley313']Quick question.
Does the Game of the Year have DLC codes or an extra disc like Fable 2 and Mass Effect?

The reason I asked cause my local Play n Trade had it used for $9.99. My friends have this game and wanna try it. For $10 would be sweet if it has the DLC on disc.

thx a bunch[/QUOTE]

GOTY has a code to redeem over XBL. No disc for the extras.

[quote name='adriley313']thx a bunch

is $10 worth a used copy[/QUOTE]

Yes. The campaign alone is worth $10. Personally I like the multiplayer in Gears 1 better but GoW 2 isn't anything to laugh at. Plus Horde mode with friends is quite fun.

If the codes in that used copy are unused then that is a total win for you since the GOTY contents alone go for $10 on the XBL Marketplace

bread's done
Back