Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dinovelvet']I went to two HWVs today and found PS3 Lair, Lego Batman, and X360 Infinite Undiscovery. I tried to buy all three at the first one and he would only give $5 off one game, he said that was the promo and was for one game only. The second store said exactly the same thing, but they allowed me to do separate transactions so I could get $5 off each game. So who knows what the official policy is on this deal.

PS3 Lego Indy is also 9.99 and qualifies for the $5 off.[/QUOTE]

Same thing when I purchased multiple games as well. I had to get them one at a time in separate transactions.

I was told tonight that you had to trade in a game to get the discount I just so happened to have a copy of X blades and picked up lego batman and infinita undiscovery for $10.58 total.

[quote name='smashngrab77']I was told tonight that you had to trade in a game to get the discount I just so happened to have a copy of X blades and picked up lego batman and infinita undiscovery for $10.58 total.[/QUOTE]

That should not be the case. Most of the time, you are able to combine transactions and get the discount on each game, and I am 99% positive that you are not required to trade anything in to get the discount{s}.

[quote name='ackbar7']This happened at my HWV, but I don't think it is what the rest of you are thinking. The HWV by me one night had the regular set up that had been there forever, and then I went back the next day at open, the last day of the $5 game promo, and they had a bunch of the "all new games 19.99" signs up and they had shipped out everything that was more expensive.
And a comment on the OP, can we stop posting every random thing that people say might be the deal at HWV, and instead get real info up that has been confirmed by some of the HWV employees that are CAGS. The info in this thread is ridiculously confusing, and doesn't seem to be kept up to date. I think this is a good idea for a thread, I just think the OP is not kept up very well.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I entirely agree! Why put stuff in the OP when you don't know whether it is true or not?! For example...
ALL New Games $19.99 or Lower!!

This is completely false. What happened was after the last sale Hollywood Video switched many stores from a complete Gamezone store to a Discount Gamezone! They would only carry new games priced $20 and under because that particular store was not getting the business that it should have been for new game purchases. No way you're going to find Halo ODST for $19.99...it was shipped back to corporate and taken to a gamezone store that is not discounted.

I'm sorry but the OP is very confusing and has false information.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']OP has been updated *even though none of you are showing HWV any love*[/QUOTE]

Earlier today, I was passing by the HWV that is a couple blocks away from where I live and someone in the car noticed that the HWV sign had been removed. I pulled into the parking lot and sure enough the store had closed down. WTF?? As far as I know, they never had any type of "going out of business" sale. Everything was gone including all the signage and fixtures. The only thing left was a note, written on a piece of cardboard, saying that the store had closed down and that the nearest HWV was located at blah, blah, blah.

It's hard to "show HWV some love" when they're slowly disappearing like this. This is the 4th store that has closed in my area (since I joined CAG). Now there are only 2 left and 3 that are about 12-15 miles away.

Picked up a Lego Batman (360) Today but it was $9.99 and not $5 so yes like the OP stated this is probably a YMMV thing..

Good price for me seeing I missed out when it was $9.99 at Gamecrazy .

Thanks OP :cool:

[quote name='Derrick1979']Picked up a Lego Batman (360) Today but it was $9.99 and not $5 so yes like the OP stated this is probably a YMMV thing..

Good price for me seeing I missed out when it was $9.99 at Gamecrazy .

Thanks OP :cool:[/QUOTE]

yep, this is nationwide that this $5 off deal is ONLY good on select NEWER games so once again there's NO REASON TO GOTO HWV, ever!

Just called my local store and they are not running any deals or sales on games whatsoever. I had been there a little while ago and they were still running the 4 games for $20. The only reason to ever go to HWV is when they do the $5 sale. Then the place is a gold mine as I cleared it out the past two times they have had this sale.

[quote name='super_dawn']:lol: I entirely agree! Why put stuff in the OP when you don't know whether it is true or not?! For example...
ALL New Games $19.99 or Lower!!

This is completely false. What happened was after the last sale Hollywood Video switched many stores from a complete Gamezone store to a Discount Gamezone! They would only carry new games priced $20 and under because that particular store was not getting the business that it should have been for new game purchases. No way you're going to find Halo ODST for $19.99...it was shipped back to corporate and taken to a gamezone store that is not discounted.

I'm sorry but the OP is very confusing and has false information.

[/QUOTE]

This is what I experienced today Super Dawn. I was actually headed to GS when I saw a sign on my HWV (not one with a GC attached) that said "All new games 19.99 or less." Naturally I went in to check it out.

There were old to ancient PS3, 360, PS2, Xbox, PSP and DS games. The newer titles included: Mercs 2, Lego Batman, and Infinite UD. The majority of them were things like God of War, NCAA Basketbal 2k7, Madden 08, Call of Juarez (the first one for 18.99), etc. Obviously, they got rid of everything remotely new that was already there and are not going to be getting anything else.

Also the same store had signs on the used game racks that said "$5 off when you trade in a game."

[quote name='emg28']Earlier today, I was passing by the HWV that is a couple blocks away from where I live and someone in the car noticed that the HWV sign had been removed. I pulled into the parking lot and sure enough the store had closed down. WTF?? As far as I know, they never had any type of "going out of business" sale. Everything was gone including all the signage and fixtures. The only thing left was a note, written on a piece of cardboard, saying that the store had closed down and that the nearest HWV was located at blah, blah, blah.

It's hard to "show HWV some love" when they're slowly disappearing like this. This is the 4th store that has closed in my area (since I joined CAG). Now there are only 2 left and 3 that are about 12-15 miles away.[/QUOTE]

This has happened to two locations in Tampa..No liquidation sale..just closed doors. That's where I'm at right now! My store closed its doors with NO warning this past Wednesday...us employees are constantly going back n' forth with our DM about whether we will reopen. In our case its because HWV didn't pay rent on the building for the past two months...:bomb:

So yea...probably will be no need for a HWV thread by the end of next year...just one that lists store closures.

[quote name='bgame2']This is what I experienced today Super Dawn. I was actually headed to GS when I saw a sign on my HWV (not one with a GC attached) that said "All new games 19.99 or less." Naturally I went in to check it out.

There were old to ancient PS3, 360, PS2, Xbox, PSP and DS games. The newer titles included: Mercs 2, Lego Batman, and Infinite UD. The majority of them were things like God of War, NCAA Basketbal 2k7, Madden 08, Call of Juarez (the first one for 18.99), etc. Obviously, they got rid of everything remotely new that was already there and are not going to be getting anything else.

Also the same store had signs on the used game racks that said "$5 off when you trade in a game."[/QUOTE]

Yup, my store got a shipment in of about 200 brand new games (yet old titles) from a GameCrazy in order to fill the cabinets where we had the new games.

[quote name='ballbarfer']yep, this is nationwide that this $5 off deal is ONLY good on select NEWER games so once again there's NO REASON TO GOTO HWV, ever![/QUOTE]

select newer games means new games that are priced $10 or less. So 50% off $10 games isn't a bad deal if you find something you'd like to try out for $5...if you go quick like with any other deal I'm sure you'd find something good.

Alright you ungreatful wolves. The OP has been updated, with new information. Also, I do go to as many lengths as I can to confirm these deals before I post them in the OP. Settle it down guys, this isn't exactly easy and honestly, I don't care if you don't "approve" of this thread as long as it helps at least one person score something on the cheap.

Good day!

Appreciate the thread. I have since quit renting at HWV because of the employees ineptitude but may go back for some deals if they are good enough. Hopefully the morons that work at my 2 closest HWVs know their shit when a good deal does pop up. Those tards make the salesmen at Best Buy look like rocket scientists.

Whats funny is that the other thread specifically about this sale (by Kabuki) has almost as many post in less than 2 days. Chill out krack, less is more & put down the pipe...just kidding. You get a A+ for effort...C - needs improvement for the descriptive writing skills.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']That should not be the case. Most of the time, you are able to combine transactions and get the discount on each game, and I am 99% positive that you are not required to trade anything in to get the discount{s}.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was told earlier tonight that you had to trade TWO games in to get the $5 discount. Of course, they didn't mention if there was a certain TIV the games had to have, so I would say go stock up on some .99 Maddens for PS2 and trade those puppies in if they give you a hassle about getting the deal.

I also asked while I was at a local HWV with Gamezone inside if they took hardware and they confirmed that they do indeed take in hardware now and that they will match Gamestop's values.

I only remember that the 40 gb PS3 got the lowest TIV of all of the PS3 models at $110, while the BC models got some of the highest($160-170) and the slim got $150.

I skimmed through the 'Discount Gamezone' memo. The only HWV here apparently doesn't do too good with game sales. Thankfully, they still haven't shipped out their games yet. Make this one more confirmation for the 19.99 sale actually meaning the approximate MSRP of 19.99, and not ANY new game.

They also let me know that on Thursday the rental price was going to increase on the games to something around $10. I see that they really want to promote powerplay.

so I went to rent Need4Speed Shift this afternoon and was persuaded to pay for the sliver account. the cashier then pull out some signage if I wanted to buy any new games. the $5 off sinage said its for select new games, but he then told me to disregard that part and said that it is for any new games. picked up lego batman for 360 and ps3 and infinite dis for 360. got all of them for $5 each. they do have to scan the barcode for each and each had to be paid separately in order for it to work.

The end is near for HWV. They need to change the way they do business FAST or die. Netflix and Redbox are the way of the future. I truly feel bad for their employees who go to work each day wondering if their key still works.

Still, I'm checking out the HWV down the street. Thanks!

[quote name='FinsUp99']The end is near for HWV. They need to change the way they do business FAST or die. Netflix and Redbox are the way of the future. I truly feel bad for their employees who go to work each day wondering if their key still works.

Still, I'm checking out the HWV down the street. Thanks![/QUOTE]

agreed...end is near. i'm very glad that I have a full-time job elsewhere and hwv has only been my extra job on the side for free rentals.

Found LEGO Batman, Infinite Undiscovery, Phantasy Star Universe, Lair.... and the HWV apparently isn't doing the $5 off deal. Asked about the scan code and everything... nada.

More $5 games IF you can find them and get the HWV employee to find/apply the bar code for the sale:

:ps3: Lego Batman and Lego Indy

Mercs 2 for 360 and PS3.

(But otherwise these are just $9.99 and that may be a good deal regardless)

Talked to the store manager yesterday when picking up Mercs 2 for $5 (the code's still working) and he said HWV are not going to be selling new game titles from now on so I'm hoping there's another video games sale during the festive period to clear out their existing stock...

Nice tip estofan. Hopefully we get a great deal; perhaps similar to the $5.00 used games deal a bit back. I wouldn't mind $10.00 for all new games :lol:

Edit: Updated the OP with some new titles. Slow deals as of late it seems...

Odd how some are not able to get the discount. The employee will have to scan a coupon that they usually have at the front checkout; if its not there or whatever else I don't know why?

They scanned a coupon and it work but each game had to be rung up separately. I got a new $4.99 game for free :), it was an old sports game though.

We actually had a coupon for $5 off any USED game as well at my store that I didn't even know about until a few hours ago. Needless to say, I wiped out a lot of the $4.99 stock, so I came home with about ten free games, mostly sports titles that I can trade in somewhere to at least cover the tax on a purchase, haha. Got a couple of goodies, though. Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater and Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams for $3.99 each. Pretty successful all around!

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
Edit: Updated the OP with some new titles. Slow deals as of late it seems...[/QUOTE]

You forgot to add Lego Batman and Lego Indy for the PS3 ;).

Went to HV yesterday, and patiently explained to the worker about the deal I heard about. He even called another store to confirm. He did find the barcode, but still rang up each game separately. He was very surprised each game rang up at 9.99, then he applied the barcode, so I got these 3 games for $5 each:

Lego Batman (360)
Lego Batman (PS3)
Mercs 2 (PS3)

Thanks OP!

[quote name='labrat34']Went to HV yesterday, and patiently explained to the worker about the deal I heard about. He even called another store to confirm. He did find the barcode, but still rang up each game separately. He was very surprised each game rang up at 9.99, then he applied the barcode, so I got these 3 games for $5 each:

Lego Batman (360)
Lego Batman (PS3)
Mercs 2 (PS3)

Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't really get the point of the separate transaction thing. The barcode will only work once per transaction, I guess as a way to deter people from using it on multiple games. I'm not gonna be the douchebag employee to fall for that, I swear this corporation doesn't want business sometimes.

anyone know how long this is on for? I was able to convience the stoner clerk at HWV to try the barcode and to his suprise it worked:
Picked up:
Lego Batman (360)
Lego Batman (PS3)
Mercs 2 (360)
Infinate (sp?) Undiscovery (360)
5.00 ea after discount
four seperate transactions, I tried to get Lost (via domus), which was clearly stickered at $9.99, but it rang up at 19.99 and I has already pissed of the clerk by proving him wrong on the deal and doing four ring ups.

Not too sure SIAJ, there rarely is any "cut off" dates with these deals. I mean, nobody has said and from what I can find the deal is still going on. Maybe this is another deal to just clean out some old games, and when they are dried out the deal ends.

I have a baaaaad feeling HWV is doing this to prepare for a final, massive, closeout sale to end them though....

The one by me isn't participating in this anyway, so I wouldn't mind it closing. The $5 sale was awesome, but they literally have nothing but the stuff that would have been eligible for this current deal.

My HWV closed its gamezone. I still have credit with them.

And Thekrakrabbit, they always have a set end time. Nobody really cares right now, though. Standalone HWVs are dying..

Is there a sign that says the deal? I'm thinking about checking one around my area. I've never been to one so I'm not sure if it's just something you ask about or it's actually labeled on the games.

While driving by HWV today, I noticed a sign on the window that said:

ALL NEW GAMES $19.99 AND UNDER

Unfortunately I didn't have time to stop.

So yeah, I guess my question is, can anyone confirm? is it actually "ALL new games", meaning brand new, 60 dollar ones? ;) or just some? x_O

bread's done
Back