Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
My best advice is to get there the minute they open. I work at a Movie Gallery Game Zone (one of the biggest game zones in the company), and we always tell people to come in the minute we open, but few ever really do. I'm gonna be opening the store I work at on Friday, and I know it's gonna be a friggen madhouse.

Also I'll be able to leak any info for Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery that comes around. I'm new, so I thought I'd bring that up.

Our hours are normal on black friday. Call your local place to see when they normally open. It's usually 10am for Movie Gallery, and like 8 or 9am for Hollywood, but I'm not entirely sure.

Well I went to a few Hollywood Videos last night to see what they have and the first one only had Boom Blox that I was interested in. The next 2 are closed forever. Does anybody know if a Hollywood Video with a recent closed Gamecrazy next to it will run this deal?

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before but I looked and couldnt find the answer.

Does this sale officially start on Thursday or is it YMMV?

[quote name='deletion']so this happens on thursday? or black friday?[/QUOTE]

Black Friday is the word I've gotten from every manager.

Sorry I haven't been around in the past few days..busy! :)

OKAY...$4.99 used games (all $29.99 or less) runs officially 11/26 to close of business on 11/29 code +CHMBF499 we are open normal business hours on thanksgiving ...and on black friday...atleast thats for my store and I'm sure the same for others. 11/30 the deal returns to 3 for $15 until 12/9

ps. don't bother coming to my store in Tampa...! ;) picked clean.

*...note...in next weeks market guide I did notice that select stores will be receiving more $4.99 ($29.99 or less) game signage on 12/4...what this means...I dunno.

The PV DVD MOVIE deal has changed....there are two deals going on (some stores have one...some have the other)

$7.99 ($14.99 or less)
$4.99 ($12.99 or less)
$3.99 ($9.99 or less)

OR

3 for $25 ($14.99 or less)
3 for $20 ($12.99 or less)
4 for $20 ($9.99 or less)
3 for $10 ($5.99 or less)

We need to start listing games that are mismarked, I saw at least 3 different games that had both $35 and $30 price tags for same game. Sadly, I cannot remember any of them because I was in a rush but they exist.

Interesting, the official store locator says there are no Locations in Florida. Sorry Dawn, I guess you're out of a job now, lol.

[quote name='Bezerker']Interesting, the official store locator says there are no Locations in Florida. Sorry Dawn, I guess you're out of a job now, lol.[/QUOTE]

Neither does the CA store locator! it only lists Game Crazy locations now...

I went to the nearest HWV to scout the game selection and the store doesn't even open until noon! I have 2 HWV relatively close to me and I'll have to blindly decide which one to hit first. The second store I hit will most likely be picked over by my competition.

Thanks for the confirmation super_dawn.

Awesome. I'll head over there tomorrow morning, and hopefully if they are open normal hours and are running the sale I'll be able to sleep in on black friday.

:edit: hm, i called randomly to see if there would be an answering machine with a message or something listing their hours or what not. Someone picked up, i mentioned the $5 deal, and the guy told me it's only 3 games for $15 at $15 or less. Hmm.... Maybe the guy I talked to was uninformed about the deal? Maybe it starts Friday? Do I really want to waste a 20 minute trip to find out there isn't a $5 deal? Decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Neither does the CA store locator! it only lists Game Crazy locations now...[/QUOTE]

yep same with IL. guess they don't want my business

I was at my local HWV the other day and some of the games that I know qualify for the sale are:

* Lego Batman (DS)
* Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer (Multiplatform)
* Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass (DS)
* Timesplitters (Xbox 360, PS3)
* Saints Row 2 (Xbox 360, PS3)
* Alone In the Dark (Xbox 360, Wii)
* Clive Barker's Jericho (Xbox 360, PS3)
* Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360, PS3)
* Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360, PS3)
* Silent Hill Homecoming (Xbox 360, PS3)
* Infinite Undiscovery (Xbox 360)
* Condemned 2: Bloodshot (Xbox 360, PS3)
* The Darkness (Xbox 360)

Hopefully I get a chance to go tomorrow to see if there are anymore. I'll post what I find if I'm able to make it tomorrow.

Wow ... HWV is dead ... just swung by the last one here in San Jose that I thought for sure would still be around (on W. Capitol, nicest store in the area) ... nope, dark, empty and gone .... looks like somehow, even in it's own death throes, Blockbuster managed to beat HWV. Well, I enjoyed the last $4.99 sale ... guess that actually turned out to be the "Goodbye sale" around here.

Is this sale for only non-gc stores? I went to one and they told me they had no video games for sale, and this one was at a location that have a GC close down.

[quote name='J7.']We need to start listing games that are mismarked, I saw at least 3 different games that had both $35 and $30 price tags for same game. Sadly, I cannot remember any of them because I was in a rush but they exist.[/QUOTE]

Yea...most stores do not keep up to date with stickering new prices. Look at the OP...there is a list of anything I found (that was, by me, a good game) that qualifies. :)

[quote name='Bezerker']Interesting, the official store locator says there are no Locations in Florida. Sorry Dawn, I guess you're out of a job now, lol.[/QUOTE]

OMG..you're right!!! :lol: hahaha...that is too funny!

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Awesome. I'll head over there tomorrow morning, and hopefully if they are open normal hours and are running the sale I'll be able to sleep in on black friday.

:edit: hm, i called randomly to see if there would be an answering machine with a message or something listing their hours or what not. Someone picked up, i mentioned the $5 deal, and the guy told me it's only 3 games for $15 at $15 or less. Hmm.... Maybe the guy I talked to was uninformed about the deal? Maybe it starts Friday? Do I really want to waste a 20 minute trip to find out there isn't a $5 deal? Decisions.[/QUOTE]

He probably just didn't flip the page of the market guide to find out... ;)

[quote name='RedGamer']Does anyone know if Punch-Out is still going to be discounted by tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

for the Wii...yes. Again, check the op. ;)

I went to a Hollywood video with a still-live GameCrazy attached. I went through the HWV section first and noticed they don't even have any games for sale at all. I asked the lady if HWV sells any games on their own and she said "no, this location does all video game sales through Game Crazy."
Game Crazy is doing their buy 2 used, get 1 free deal with no relation to the HWV 3 for $15 deal.

argh.

I went by two HWV today in miami the only two left and their selection was so poor. It was basically all ps2 and xbox games. :(

[quote name='bob101']I went by two HWV today in miami the only two left and their selection was so poor. It was basically all ps2 and xbox games. :([/QUOTE]

That sounds like one of my local HWV stores. Their selection is horrible. Now, the other one though, that may be my goldmine today if I can get there early enough.:D

The beauty of working at Hollywood Video is the ability to find out about these deals in advance, pick out the games I want, and stash them away until sale day arrives.

That being said, I'm going to be picking up a good number of 360 games, as our PS3 selection is lacking at the moment. Taking home Prototype, Resident Evil 5, Gears of War 1 & 2, Naruto: The Broken Bond, Halo 3, and Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.
All with an employee discount, too! Hell yeah.

[quote name='MirrIll']The beauty of working at Hollywood Video is the ability to find out about these deals in advance, pick out the games I want, and stash them away until sale day arrives.

That being said, I'm going to be picking up a good number of 360 games, as our PS3 selection is lacking at the moment. Taking home Prototype, Resident Evil 5, Gears of War 1 & 2, Naruto: The Broken Bond, Halo 3, and Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.
All with an employee discount, too! Hell yeah.[/QUOTE]

Question for the employees.

I'm wondering how they are restocking for this sale after most were demolished after the sale in July.

Would you say most are old rentals? I'm just worried about stock on hand at the only 2 HWV left in the area (the 2 that provided the most last time sadly closed since then...)

The employees at my hollywood video told me today that the store wasn't running any sales for black friday. I specifically asked them about any video game sales and they all said "no." Also, there isn't a GameCrazy attached.

Are these employees wrong? Will all Hollywood Video's be running this $4.99 sale?

If they still don't know about the sale on black friday, I guess I'm pretty much screwed because they need to scan a barcode for the sale to work. I'm only asking all these questions because this hollywood video is the only one in my state and the traffic around the store is horrendous, so I don't want to drive out there on black friday and leave empty handed.

Maybe I should go in when they open on Friday with the "+CHMBF499" code and ask them to apply it. I dont know.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

[quote name='vicks']Question for the employees.

Would you say most are old rentals? I'm just worried about stock on hand at the only 2 HWV left in the area (the 2 that provided the most last time sadly closed since then...)[/QUOTE]

Where else would they come from?

Though hollywoods do, technically, accept trade-ins and all that now (though, I have yet to find a store that has actually taken off in, apart from people flipping), 99% of their previously-played games for sale are converted rentals.

Hypothetically, a hollywood could receive a fattening shipment from a nearby gamecrazy but it always works in reverse order.

So is the sale officially starting today in the end? I am still getting mixed messages from reading this forum.

[quote name='savagepastry']

Hypothetically, a hollywood could receive a fattening shipment from a nearby gamecrazy but it always works in reverse order.[/QUOTE]

That was mostly what I was wondering - stock from closed game crazys and from still open game crazys - how they somewhat fulfilled this deal later on during the last time...I figured that would be the major way (rental conversions, at least initially) it would be stocked - but I'm guessing it would not be as impressive as a sale as last time - newer games sure, but having seen most HWV cleaned out of most games last time, not much time to restock for this sale...but we will see...this is my most exciting deal for black friday - only one I'm leaving the house for...may even go out today if I confirm it starts today...

Its simple math, and no hollywood opens before 10 a.m. :)

eastern 0, central -1, mountain -2, western -3

Unless you live in Hawaii or Alaska, then I apologize. I have no clue what time it is for them.

[quote name='savagepastry']Its simple math, and no hollywood opens before 10 a.m. :)

eastern 0, central -1, mountain -2, western -3

Unless you live in Hawaii or Alaska, then I apologize. I have no clue what time it is for them.[/QUOTE]

Ha, for some reason I thought eastern was 2 hours from central, which it isn't... Damn Amazon + CAG for being up all night ;)

Anyway... its 10AM on the east coast. Anyone been to their local stores yet? Is it running today?

how can i convince a clueless HWV employee that the sale is going on? he said he doesn't have any barcodes to scan but i know they would be running it since the last $4.99 sale they ran it.

[quote name='stevecrime']Sale is on, FYI. They hadn't even posted the sale yet, so I got first pick.[/QUOTE]

What did you end up getting?

Picked Up:

The Darkness (PS3) - NEW
Devil May Cry 4 (PS3) - New
Dead Space (360) - Used
Wario Ware Smooth Moves (Wii) - Used
Halo 3 (360) - Used

The guy didn't have a problem doing the new games under $30 for $5.

Sadly, the selection was very little.

I picked up street fighter IV and resident evil 5 for 360. The lady that worked there just had to look for the promotion bar code and it worked for $4.99 each. To my surprise the games looked brand new even though they were in the used section. They had original cases and manual. There was not that great of a selection though.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Stopped at the local Hollywood Video and scored a nice take! Got all for $5 apiece:

Metal Gear Solid4- ps3
Midnight Club:LA- ps3
Halo Wars- 360
Mortal Kombat vs DC- 360
Street Fighter 4- 360
NFS undercover- 360
The last Remnant- 360
Resident Evil 5-360
Saints Row2- 360
Rainbow Six Vegas2- 360
Guitar Hero Metallica- 360
Chronicles of Riddick- 360
Dead Space- 360
Ghostbusters- 360
Guitar Hero 2- 360
Guitar Hero World Tour- 360
Prototype- 360
Prince of Persia- 360
Gears of War2- 360
Assassin's Creed- 360
Ace Combat6- 360

Great, now I think both Hollywood Videos in my area closed. The one with the Gamecrazy is still open, but I can't find any other Hollywood Videos on the store locator within 100 miles. Called the store and got nothing.

For some reason the coupons that my store got only allowed one $5 game per transaction, but i picked up the following:

Gears of War 2
Midnight Club LA
Saints Row 2
Street Fighter IV

Acording to the lady, Modern Warfare 1 rang up as $34.99, but that lady has always been a total bitch, so she could've been lying cuz she wants it for her kids or something.

Stopped by a Movie Gallery, so I can confirm that they are doing the deal as well. Here's what I got:

Fight Night Round 4 (360)
Soul Calibur 4 (PS3)
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga (360)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Wii)
Saints Row 2 (360)

[quote name='tiffany360']Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Stopped at the local Hollywood Video and scored a nice take! Got all for $5 apiece:

Metal Gear Solid4- ps3
Midnight Club:LA- ps3
Halo Wars- 360
Mortal Kombat vs DC- 360
Street Fighter 4- 360
NFS undercover- 360
The last Remnant- 360
Resident Evil 5-360
Saints Row2- 360
Rainbow Six Vegas2- 360
Guitar Hero Metallica- 360
Chronicles of Riddick- 360
Dead Space- 360
Ghostbusters- 360
Guitar Hero 2- 360
Guitar Hero World Tour- 360
Prototype- 360
Prince of Persia- 360
Gears of War2- 360
Assassin's Creed- 360
Ace Combat6- 360[/QUOTE]

holy shit

[quote name='Bezerker']Acording to the lady, Modern Warfare 1 rang up as $34.99, but that lady has always been a total bitch, so she could've been lying cuz she wants it for her kids or something.[/QUOTE]

It rang up that price for me as well. My haul was:

:360: Street Fighter IV
:360: Gears of War 2
:360: Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.
:360: Fable II
:360: Resident Evil 5
:360: Midnight Club LA
:360: Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires
:360: Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
:wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

All of these have original inserts and manuals. Sadly, I missed out on a Halo Wars - another customer had apparently asked the manager to set aside games the night before.

Got a pretty decent haul, but there was a complication. After she scanned the games then scanned the coupon for the deal, It was ringing up the games as a raincheck. So, she had to ring up all the games individually :/

:360:Left 4 Dead
:360:Bioshock
:360:Dead Space
:360:Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
:360:Dynasty Warriors Gundam
:360:Assassin's Creed
:wii:Zack & Wiki

All in all, not too bad. There are still a few games I wanna go back for but I'm very broke.

[quote name='Crass']My HWV said that there is no sale, no codes to scan, nothing. That sucks. Maybe tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Same here, same answer. Even though they did it last time. I am thinking about checking tomorrow.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Got a pretty decent haul, but there was a complication. After she scanned the games then scanned the coupon for the deal, It was ringing up the games as a raincheck. So, she had to ring up all the games individually :/

:360:Left 4 Dead
:360:Bioshock
:360:Dead Space
:360:Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
:360:Dynasty Warriors Gundam
:360:Assassin's Creed
:wii:Zack & Wiki

All in all, not too bad. There are still a few games I wanna go back for but I'm very broke.[/QUOTE]

I'm sitting this sale out, so don't worry about me buying em. Even have cash this time.

bread's done
Back