Official Mass Effect: Andromeda Discussion (Hype/Speculation/Anticipation)

Seriously, I was having a little bit of a conversation with someone on Instagram on this matter where I said:

yeah truly Mass Effect had Bring Down the Sky (which was great), Mass Effect 2 had Lair of the Shadow Broker (the best!) and Mass Effect 3 had Aria & Omega (Which was a lot of fun to finally ave her in your squad). Of course Citadel doesn't need to be mentioned, that's a given. From Ashes was more a day 1 thing and Leviathan really shined some light about the Reapers.
Just a shame we get nothing, not even an alternate appearance pack or some shit.

Look, I know I've been pooping all over ME:A, but that really does suck that we're left hanging after the end.  The Quarian Ark DLC would've been nice.  But, hey, give the series a couple of years in the cooler and they could come back with some cool stuff, who knows. 

h837895BD.jpg

Well truth is with the way they handled the ending to the trilogy they had to knock it out of the park and obviously that was an extremely high bar to obtain.

At some point people need to stop blaming EA and start blaming Bioware for design choices. If some EA studios can put out great games so should Bioware.

At some point people need to stop blaming EA and start blaming Bioware for design choices. If some EA studios can put out great games so should Bioware.
Yeah, people love to make developers the heroes and EA the villain, but in this case it's really not a matter of EA interfering with BioWare Montreal. For better or worse, Andromeda is the game that BioWare made, it's not on anyone but them.

Sad that this thread has gone quiet for over a month. 

I was at BB earlier this week and saw that the non-RC version of the Nomad model had been dropped down to $45 and the RC model was down to $129.   Might be worth looking into if anyone had been holding out on it for a while on the theoretical price drop. 

I'm 200 pages into nexus uprising on my vacation and plan to finish by the end of the week. Pretty good so far. I have the deluxe edition of Andromeda waiting for me on PS4 and plan to give it an honest shot. I need mass effect back in my life!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I've had some distance from this game...I've been rethinking my feelings toward it.  I may have been a bit harsh, because I did have fun when in combat.  But, in hindsight, I still think the game was fundamentally a mess.  It wasn't broken and the animation doesn't bother me at all.  It's the functional structure that made a mess of the pacing, progress and story for me.  Now that the game is like what, $12, I may pick it up again. 

I just hope they can salvage the franchise.  It's weird to think that one *not great* release can destroy a whole franchise, right? 

"I've seen people literally spend $15,000 on Mass Effect multiplayer cards"
Former BioWare dev speaks out against EA's monetisation of games
I'd like to put some credit into this article, but it's Manveer Heir. AKA a racist piece of fuck . Seriously, I cannot stomach this man.

Anyway, if his words are true or not, it does seem like EA is on a pro-'games as service' trend lately. At this point, it seems like all of the creative forces at Bioware have left, save Casey Hudson who just came back. I hope Bioware survives and finds themselves again. I'd love a new Dragon Age right about now.

^^  Yeah, Not sure how I feel about this.  Could be interesting if it teases out more of the Cerberus subplot.  Stinks that it's not DLC though. 

Twitter.png
Well friends, tomorrow we celebrate N7 Day.  A little different this year since the franchise kinda skidded into a ditch in some ways, but regardless, this is Mass Effect.  And it's the 10th anniversary! 

This N7 Day, we celebrate!!

There is a cool teN7 shirt at the biowarestore and there will be new items all week 

https://www.biowarestore.com/apparel/t-shirts?treehouse_options=77

There should be more news at the Bioware Blog tomorrow, as well. 

http://blog.bioware.com/

Call me a glutton for punishment, but just like every other year, I have my fingers crossed for an OT remaster on X1 and PS4. 

Cheers to the gang who's been hanging around for years chatting about this amazing series.  We have a fun little community of hooligans here.  Happy N7 Day, fellas!

me3ending-4f5e47d-intro.jpg

I type this in my N7 hoodie while I say:

meh-gif-7.gif

The whole point of N7 day was to celebrate while Mass Effect was great. No point now tbh imo. MMEGA!

I think a fellow FB ME fan points it out fairly well when they say "N7 day used to be a day about celebration, now it's a day of mourning."

https://youtu.be/fxFiRlPyIt8
I wasn't going to watch it because I knew I wouldn't like it. Decided to watch it and yup now I'm angry.

Bioware is like we should distance ourselves from Andromeda, the fans didn't like it (an over exaggeration of simplicity here of course), and focus on the trilogy.

Yet the people would say, um no Andromeda was a good fun game, you just handled it so poorly with the EA overlords in tow - another 6 months of polish and we'd be celebrating N7 day tbh. You didn't forget what made Mass Effect Mass Effect as one could argue Mass Effect Andromeda feels like a spiritual successor of the first Mass Effect. That's because you have the exploration, the combat and the stories told through the actions done by the player. I've enjoyed every Mass Effect game since the beginning, have a lot of respect for the series. However, then these developers have the nerve to act like they came up with some of these ideas. The whole romanceable options in the Mass Effect games all started with fan feedback for the first one. It wasn't even in the game in the beginning! You have a great sense of community and team when you're playing as Shepard /Ryder and it's only natural you'd want to step up that relationship with said crew member. Jack was one of the best character growths in the ME series and it was such a touching extra addition that really made the series stand out.

Bioware shot themselves in the foot when they, as a whole, transitioned their gaming stories and writing into SJW waters. Listening to the SJW fanbase has been the toxic pit that Mass Effect has fallen into as of late. Bioware's fans killed the series as much as the managers of EA did. They'll do a video on Mass Effect but will not put any effort into a remaster of the series, nor a X enhanced BC support and we all know they're not supporting Andromeda any more. /rant

I will always wear my N7 hoodie with pride but don't try and patronize me and not mention your screw up with Andromeda and the whole muddy the Mass Effect waters thing.

Bioware shot themselves in the foot when they, as a whole, transitioned their gaming stories and writing into SJW waters. Listening to the SJW fanbase has been the toxic pit that Mass Effect has fallen into as of late. Bioware's fans killed the series as much as the managers of EA did. They'll do a video on Mass Effect but will not put any effort into a remaster of the series, nor a X enhanced BC support and we all know they're not supporting Andromeda any more. /rant

I agree.  They really did embrace the SJW thing and it went from "hey cool, inclusion, right on" to them being defined by taking this mantle of inclusion to what some might say is a distracting fault.  All while employing that racist POS Manveer Heir. 

However, when I push all of that aside, just me, my controller and my game....ME1, ME2 and ME3 are magic.  Those stories are so wonderful, the virtual friendships so strong, the adventure so pure and the combat so smooth (even ME1 for me)....I love it.  I love Mass Effect and this is one time I'm choosing to not let the politics keep me from celebrating an adventure that I went on with these games. 

Even though Andromeda doesn't hold up at all compared to the OT, maybe I was a bit hard on it.  It was fun to play even if the story was cockeyed and the quest system janked up. 

I tell ya what, I have zero interest in the Xbox One X at the moment.  But, damn an ME1 with 4K HD upgrade would make me buy the system and a 4K tv for my game room.  I really wish EA would go for the, what I believe to be, low-investment cash grab and just do a remake of ME1 and remaster 2 & 3. 

Nothing too interesting for sale at biowarestore for the N7 sale.  The Ryder henley is kind of tempting for some reason. 

Finally cracked open my deluxe edition tonight with a cold Guiness and a night to myself. Was so excited to start this after finishing Nexus Uprsising. Played through the first mission with the pathfinder and now laying in bed as I type this.

WTF of a turd did I just play? I literally couldn’t care less about a single character I just interacted with. I know the bar is high with Shepherd but the original trilogy had me hooked instantly. Combat was awful clunky, acting/story sucks, I have no desire to boot it back up. Was I supposed to have feelings when Daddy Ryder gave me his helmet? He was introduced and written out so quickly I’ve almost already forgotten about it.

Why did I type all that? I guess it’s a personal blog about how sad bioware has become. I wanted to try the multiplayer but I’m just going to pass now.

So here here to echoing the calls for a ME Trilogy HD remaster.

Sorry to hear your experienced sucked, buddy.  I think most of us got farther in before getting to that point.  I was okay with the opening, but yeah, the squad isn't like the Normandy crew.  I will say though, in hindsight, some are good.  Not Mordin or Garrus, but okay in their own way.  

The gameplay and combat was good though.  Maybe?  

I'd say Andromeda definitely has a slow start but stick with it, the game opens up immensely afterwards and you get a lot more of the backstory which wasn't really presented well for the father. Yeah, I feel a lot of people were like this in comparison to the Mass Effect trilogies. I mean, the golden rule we learned in game design is you have to hook your audience right off the bat. We can see ME: A doesn't do that and it actually hooked me about 3 to 5 hours in, which in a RPG I don't know if that's too late or just par with the course lol.

Gotta get to the point where you're switching from one favorite to another with the powers and combat abilities. That's when the game really starts to shine in my opinion. Also the characters will build on you, there's a bunch of stale ones but like Chubby said you'll be introduced to a few good ones later on though.

As a Ryder twin, in the beginning you're just there along with a civilian centric organization. If you have this mindset in place, the beginning's lack of a bombastic action sequence makes sense - all not apologizing for Bioware's faults here but I can see how things got overblown. You're out there with a bunch of scientists exploring, scanning and discovering a new universe. Contrast that with you're in the front lines for the System's Alliance meant to combat the galaxy's dangers as Shepard and it makes sense how ME: A starts. Get to the first planet you're going to have to work with, multiple quests, storyline and such and if you're still not feeling it then by all means retire the game and play something else.

I’ll definitely take the advice of Spy and Chubby and put some more time in it. Sorry for coming off like that last night, was just confused and underwhelmed. But if the vets say it picks up I’ll give it a shot. Also now that I’ve had a day to sit on it, how high was the bar for this game anyway? Expectations probably couldn’t have been any higher.

I had trouble keeping my crosshairs and especially the avenger on target for anything. Maybe I need to tone down the sensitivity some, but the ME2 and ME3 combat/cover system I really enjoyed (or just learned to use). Concussive shot was definitely gratifying.

Did y’all get into the multiplayer much? I actually didn’t finish 3’s campaign for a long time (post extended cut) because I got stuck on the MP. I think I had 100 hrs it in before I quit.

And all this battlefront lootbox discussion always makes me think back to the ME3MP days when I bought my first loot box with real money. Then another.....then another, haha. Was ME3 the first pay to win lootbox?

I did play a bit of ME:A MP.  It's good.  Not great, not as good as ME3 somehow, though I couldn't tell you how.  

Ah, the ME3 MP days....that was my first foray into MP and my first real money paid loot box.  I probably spent about $60 or so on the MP portion of the game, but I got well over 400 hours out of that game.  Don't know if I'd consider it pay-to-win, because you still needed skill, and I never felt like there was a major game-changer weapon or anything.  

What do you think, Spy?

ME:A's multiplayer is just a continuation of what worked with ME3's so it's not much changed (I thought). That's a good thing and a bad thing (we all loved multiplayer from ME3 so nothing much changed or added). I liked it, I played a bunch when they were doing special weekend shit and having that Apex HQ companion app - oh yeah be sure to grab that to send squads out for stuff - was cool to set up your characters/check out stats and what not. I think Xtreme, you've hit the nail right on the head, what were people expecting? The trilogy was a masterpiece of gaming culture and gameplay, quite hard to live up to. Similar to what we saw with Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, new team, new ideas/new fan splitting product (although ME:A is prob more so). I think it def does matter your expectations getting into it. I've stopped playing Andromeda when pretty much that time it was announced no more support was coming for it - they pretty much murdered Mass Effect, it's sad. I do hope the franchise comes back. I'll finish off a few games on Game Pass first, that's got a $1 trial right now btw, and might go back to it some time later (as I did enjoy what it offered, similar to a HD remake of ME1). It's a hard sell this time of year with so many other good games coming out though.

I'd say Andromeda definitely has a slow start but stick with it, the game opens up immensely afterwards and you get a lot more of the backstory which wasn't really presented well for the father. Yeah, I feel a lot of people were like this in comparison to the Mass Effect trilogies. I mean, the golden rule we learned in game design is you have to hook your audience right off the bat. We can see ME: A doesn't do that and it actually hooked me about 3 to 5 hours in, which in a RPG I don't know if that's too late or just par with the course lol.
i quit the game after 1-2 hours on the 2nd planet as dialogues, story and missions were just boring. combat is ok, graphics are great.. so maybe i should go back..? can you ever just freely fly thru space, discover new planets and lifeforms?

one thing i found odd, in cutscenes sara ryder looks amazing but why only there ..

i quit the game after 1-2 hours on the 2nd planet as dialogues, story and missions were just boring. combat is ok, graphics are great.. so maybe i should go back..? can you ever just freely fly thru space, discover new planets and lifeforms?

one thing i found odd, in cutscenes sara ryder looks amazing but why only there ..
Yeah I believe you should go back to it and yes you can fly around space, that's one of the big additions they implemented into the game. This new galaxy is quite large so there's a ton to do and a lot to explore and discover. Later they patched that you can skip it via a button prompt but I found the immersiveness of that pretty cool. Don't know, I played as Scott Ryder. I knew the female Ryder, had issues early on so I went with Scott but I'll probably make another playthrough some time and play as Sara.

Hey all. Merry Christmas! I just finished the Initiation novel and I thought I'd check in. It was a fun read, fast paced and a nice way to spend a few hours in the Mass Effect universe. Of course it also makes you remember that Andromeda is over, there's no more DLC and no new ME game for the foreseeable future which sucks. I still haven't watched that Ten Years of Mass Effect video from N7 Day, guess I should finally get around to doing that.

I also read though Initiation while on vacation and find it to be a good read. Shame all we have left is the Annihilation book and that's it.

I'm reading one of the Discworld books now, but I'm considering getting these ME:A books next.  Like Ryuu said, it'll be nice to spend a few hours in the ME universe again.

By the way, ME2 and ME3 are on sale on XBL for $10 each.  Kinda cool to have them 100% digitally on the X1. 

2018 has been a whole new Mass Effect kick for me. I'm reading the Revelation novel, and doing a new playthrough of ME1. :) An Xbox One remaster with new gamerscore sure would be nice!

I bit my tongue when the sale was going and got ME 1 & 2 digitally. Seems silly but I have them digitally now and they were a decent price to pick up. I'm planning on going back to Andromeda after the 20th when my Game Pass ends. At the moment I'm working on games in that. Lol, I'm afraid if I go back and play ME1 or 2 that I'll continue to grow the backlog and that was already pretty bad because I was doing another playthrough of ME1 & ME2 lol.

bread's done
Back