Official Mass Effect: Andromeda Discussion (Hype/Speculation/Anticipation)

The fact that there are single player patch notes seems like an optimistic sign if you are inclined to lean that way about single player DLC.
I haven't picked up ME:A and even when it was on sale at $20, my gaming pile of shame is too large to justify me making another purchase.

That being said, some of my favorite gaming memories are some of the ME 1 & 2 DLC. Lair of the Shadow Broker in particular comes to mind. I always played FemShep and in ME2 romanced Jason even though Liara is my girl (always and forever). It was cool that in the DLC you could finally see what Liara was up to and recommence your romance if you had in ME1. I thought this brought a lot of closure to a great character.

I haven't picked up ME:A and even when it was on sale at $20, my gaming pile of shame is too large to justify me making another purchase.

That being said, some of my favorite gaming memories are some of the ME 1 & 2 DLC. Lair of the Shadow Broker in particular comes to mind. I always played FemShep and in ME2 romanced Jason even though Liara is my girl (always and forever). It was cool that in the DLC you could finally see what Liara was up to and recommence your romance if you had in ME1. I thought this brought a lot of closure to a great character.
Mass Effect: Andromeda is a whole other story, with a whole other crew and adventure. There are a lot of cool moments, many of them spoilers but I'd say the first outpost you set up is a cool feeling. It's like wow, I did that, oh shit, this is only the beginning. :shock: Screenshot taken. Also thinking back there were a lot of cool combat moments, the combat in the game is a lot of fun. Combos that you'd had set up in ME3's multiplayer are prevalent in Andromeda's Campaign and things like Primers, Detonators and what not are pivotal when on higher difficulties.

The Trilogy shows just how good ME 1, 2 & 3 were and ME: A has a high note to reach. Andromeda is a worthy spinoff imo, just a shame that due to the way they launched it they automatically set it up to fail (they knew they'd release it with mediocre reviews - this was before all the memes hit & public opinion was set. The game doesn't make any money when it's in development and it was in development for a very long time lol. I'm not surprised they released it when they did but it's a shame it put a bad taste in everyone's mouth for the franchise. It's def a recommend at $20 or even $30 though.

Black Widow

• Increased damage from 771-891 to 900-1041
  • Increased gun weak point multiplier from 1.7 to 2.0

Holy shit! 

Last edited by a moderator:
What!? But How?!
Rare Class: Brawler tank who locks down enemies and devastates them at melee range.

The Scrapper is one of two batarians who provided evidence against the leader of their former pirate gang. When Alliance protection services failed, the batarians negotiated an asylum deal with the Initiative.

The salarians granted the batarians cryo pods on Ark Paarchero to gain potential security assets. Happy to abandon pirate life, the Scrapper is starting to enjoy fighting for a greater purpose.
giphy.gif

This new multiplayer economic environment is bananas. Mission funds became super powerful - enough so that I regret almost every previous purchase prior to this patch.

Going back to basic packs to get characters to XV? Feels a step backwards, but the bonus seems worth it.

And now daily/weekly challenges? If that super Apex pack is the reward every couple of days for completing a mission, that is quite the carrot to stay invested in multiplayer. The extra daily mission funds are just gravy.

Yeah, that makes me a sad panda as I think EA fuckery caused a lot of what happened. I'm 30% in at 50 hours played, at level 25 and I'm loving it. The characters are all having great inter-party banter, the game is fun, the combat enjoyable even when it's frustrating when playing on Hard, even with the visual warts that happen from time to time, I'm still wanting to play it every moment I have to do so.

Another year in the oven, I think it would have been stellar, maybe even six months. Since I'm such a ME direhard, I would have loved it to some degree even after the initial jarring issues and DA-I like Hinterlands issue with the Habitat 7, though the patches have helped and taking my time to feel my groove with the game had helped.

I think ME: A had a huge bar to start at, there was some venom that was going to be fired out if the game wasn't aces right out the door. ME: 1 was a buggy mess as well, in the infancy of the X360, though it was a joy to play since it was so damned different and made a great gameworld to play in.

^ Same here, I don't have a lot of faith in Hudson any more either. I'm thinking they're going ahead of a more focused approach on Anthem with this change, not anything new for Mass Effect - believe they're leaving that behind sadly.

I was at Target this evening and saw on the clearance shelf with some other Funco POPs was a Peebee with gun (the Target exclusive one) on there.  It wasn't stickered with a price tag, though most of the ones there were 50% off with one of them being only 25% off. 

I will have to admit that even though ME: A has the DA: I "issue" with the big open world / near-MMO setting, though there have been far less of the "filler" quests that I've found to be grindy in ME: A over ones I've done in DA: I. 

I've spent numerous hours on Voeld over my last few gameplay sessions and all of the side quests have been great that I've done or I'm working on. 

I downloaded ME: A for the free 10 hour trail and I couldn't get five hours in. The opening was bland and uninspired, the characters uninteresting. The gameplay, particularly the car in the open-world sections on planets just wasn't fun for me.

Not sure I would pick this up even for free. How we have fallen from ME:2

I downloaded ME: A for the free 10 hour trail and I couldn't get five hours in. The opening was bland and uninspired, the characters uninteresting. The gameplay, particularly the car in the open-world sections on planets just wasn't fun for me.

When you make it to Eos, the game picks up dramatically. It is the same issue with DA: I and The Hinterlands.

When you make it to Eos, the game picks up dramatically. It is the same issue with DA: I and The Hinterlands.
Man, I wish I felt the same way. I don't even know what the high points for me were in this game. Wait! It was Drack's loyalty mission. That was my favorite. Followed by Vetra's. And those were like "just okay" missions from ME3, if I were to compare. No, I take that back. Not one mission in Andromeda can live up to the original trilogy. God, I hate being negative, but I really hate Mass Effect Andromeda.

Man, I wish I felt the same way. I don't even know what the high points for me were in this game. Wait! It was Drack's loyalty mission. That was my favorite. Followed by Vetra's. And those were like "just okay" missions from ME3, if I were to compare. No, I take that back. Not one mission in Andromeda can live up to the original trilogy. God, I hate being negative, but I really hate Mass Effect Andromeda.
High points for me are like DA: I, the big set pieces.

Rescuing the Moshae and fixing the vault on Havarl, both big plot points that I had a great amount of enjoyment out of.

The filler quests haven't been as "filler" as was in DA: I, such as:

Explore the ice cave on Voeld, which turns into a big cavern, where you find the AI at the end of it.

"Remove The Heart" - a great tactical quest to knock out a major kett base.

Taking out the Kett base on Eos and taking out the Invictor - another great tactical quest.[/quote]

Even tooling around in the Nomad has been better than the Mako from ME1 and the scenery on the planets is much better and much more diverse than the trilogy. There's a bigger sense of exploration in ME: A than the trilogy games, though it's something where things can get lost in the sheer size of it.

I have been impressed over and over again at party banter, especially when Jaal is part of the party. Though, yes, there's some goofy dialogue, mostly on the Nexus with the humans.

Yes, there's still some wonky animations and yes, there's some bland design with the kett, as well as some story elements lightly borrowed from the trilogy.

It did take getting off Hab 7 to get into the game and once I hit level 15, everything just clicked for me.

It did take getting off Hab 7 to get into the game and once I hit level 15, everything just clicked for me.
Very much feel the same. It's not until you can get a few powers that you switch back and forth and play around with profiles where things start to feel like a new entry into the Mass Effect universe.

One of my fav scenes was when the gang were sneaking around a ship and whispering but then pointed out why are we whispering the entire ship knows we're here. :rofl: That whole mission was epic imo.

My favorite moments:

- first time figuring out how to do the decryption puzzles, activating monoliths, and exploring a vault (love learning and discovering new things; felt like a good epic puzzle)

- first time fighting Architect (haven't fought anything of that scale in a game in a while)

- one of Liam's loyalty mission -- for the amazing dialogue and unique gameplay design (I'm deliberately being vague to avoid spoilers)

Man what a bummer to hear you say that not a single mission in ME:A is of the same caliber as previous entries in the game. I *might* play the remaining five hours of the trial just to see if it gets better, but I get the sneaking suspicion this game will be relegated to the dustbin of history for me.

Yeah, that's about how I feel as well. Not a single mission or character compares to the trilogy for me. I can still remember bit characters in ME1 like Maeko Matsuo and Ian Newstead, but couldn't name more than a handful in Andromeda. Just a forgettable experience sadly.

I'm curious, those who feel it doesn't compare, did you play the original trilogy games more than once or twice?

I know personally, I'm impressed with myself when I can remember all of the major party members in a game I played thirteen years ago, never mind the minor NPCs. But, I also have a horrible memory. So I wonder if there is an element of repetition reinforcing positive memories when comparing the games.

Sort of like the difference between long-time friends instead of that one cool roommate you had in college who you haven't kept in touch with and can't quite remember how to spell their last name.

I'm curious, those who feel it doesn't compare, did you play the original trilogy games more than once or twice?

I know personally, I'm impressed with myself when I can remember all of the major party members in a game I played thirteen years ago, never mind the minor NPCs. But, I also have a horrible memory. So I wonder if there is an element of repetition reinforcing positive memories when comparing the games.

Sort of like the difference between long-time friends instead of that one cool roommate you had in college who you haven't kept in touch with and can't quite remember how to spell their last name.
Yes sir. ME1 = 8 times, ME2 = 4 times + partial playthroughs, ME3 = 3 times + partial playthroughs + hundreds of hours in MP. I consider myself a pretty hardcore ME fan. I've read all the books, all the comics, I've researched the very mysterious ARG before ME3 extensively, collected the collectibles. I know ME and I love ME. Andromeda is just a horribly produced game with, luckily, some good gameplay and a scrambled egg for a story.

Oh, I even played that rough game on mobile twice.

Oh, I'm not implying anyone is not a fan. Almost the opposite.

I'm more wondering if there is a sort of nostalgia factor involved when comparing the games for the superfans who played the original trilogy multiple times. The mention of bit characters from ME1 got me thinking, because I sure as heck have no idea who those people are. I can probably only name a handful of non-party NPCs, and those are mostly the ones who appear in multiple games or have major impact to the main story line.

I only completed each game once, and read the first few books. I know I enjoyed it all and put the series high in my personal Top Games, but the details are fuzzy to me. Just curious if that is part of the reason some can enjoy Andromeda, and other cannot, despite playing the same game.

It could also just demonstrate my personal Swiss cheese of a memory and have no bearing on anything.

Right I believe he was stating you might have a different perspective on it after you played Andromeda as many times as either Mass Effect - and nobody is saying you must in order for it to be what you've expected (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say lol). I was thinking about it tonight while I was staring up at the stars while walking my dog, god I love space. Maybe that's just it, I don't care that this isn't Bioware's magnum opus, it's a hell of a thing to be able to experience traveling and exploring a whole new galaxy - with all the lore and species I loved from the originals. Oh the team members haven't really grown on fans of the trilogy and I can understand that, some of them were in three games which originated a decade ago, yeah a decade.

I think I played Mass Effect 8 times as well, there was a reason to play multiple playthroughs even so when each ME2 and ME3 were over and you wanted to go through it from inception.

I'm fine with Andromeda being a spin off and existing as its own thing.

Right I believe he was stating you might have a different perspective on it after you played Andromeda as many times as either Mass Effect - and nobody is saying you must in order for it to be what you've expected (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say lol). I was thinking about it tonight while I was staring up at the stars while walking my dog, god I love space. Maybe that's just it, I don't care that this isn't Bioware's magnum opus, it's a hell of a thing to be able to experience traveling and exploring a whole new galaxy - with all the lore and species I loved from the originals. Oh the team members haven't really grown on fans of the trilogy and I can understand that, some of them were in three games which originated a decade ago, yeah a decade.

I think I played Mass Effect 8 times as well, there was a reason to play multiple playthroughs even so when each ME2 and ME3 were over and you wanted to go through it from inception.

I'm fine with Andromeda being a spin off and existing as its own thing.
portal_space_core_by_brotherkantor-d5gbslx.jpg

Oh, I'm not implying anyone is not a fan. Almost the opposite.

I'm more wondering if there is a sort of nostalgia factor involved when comparing the games for the superfans who played the original trilogy multiple times. The mention of bit characters from ME1 got me thinking, because I sure as heck have no idea who those people are. I can probably only name a handful of non-party NPCs, and those are mostly the ones who appear in multiple games or have major impact to the main story line.

I only completed each game once, and read the first few books. I know I enjoyed it all and put the series high in my personal Top <X> Games, but the details are fuzzy to me. Just curious if that is part of the reason some can enjoy Andromeda, and other cannot, despite playing the same game.

It could also just demonstrate my personal Swiss cheese of a memory and have no bearing on anything.
My bad, I guess I didn't really get the point you were making. You bring up a good point. But, I don't think that's whats creating my discord with Andromeda. I'm really okay with the idea that this was supposed to be something different from the original trilogy.

But, as ....to use Spy's subtitle....a game scholar after being in this hobby for 35+ years, it's the way the pieces were put together that bothered me the most. I'm not talking glitches. I didn't run into many and, seriously, after ME1 (my favorite game of all time) there is no room to complain about glitches. I'm talking about the way the story plays out and how disconnected it is from the world exploring/building AND the way the missions are sequentially and technically built.....go here, talk to this person, go there, talk to this person, go back, talk to original guy......Sure there weren't laughable elevator rides, but the back and forth reeeeeeked of filler nonsense to pad the game.

The story wasn't bad, but it didn't come together well. It seemed like there were two distinct things going on with one being the world building and the other fighting the kett. And there was too much time between meaningful story sequences.

The characters. Woof. Well, Peebee is good. Vetra is okay, but underdeveloped. Jaal was okay, too, but his overall species just blows when compared to ANY species in the original trilogy. The rest are blah and for some reason I just hate Liam. Other than Peebee, nobody on this crew would be a welcome addition to the squads in the original games. I played as Scott Ryder and regardless of how I interacted with characters, I disliked his tone. This was the first time in recent memory in an RPG where I just couldn't connect with my avatar.

I'm not the type of guy that is overly sensitive about language, violence or sexuality, but there were a few times in this game where I feel sexuality was forced upon me. I don't play games to see digital alien boobies (note: i like boobies very much as a general comment) and I certainly don't play games to see my character kiss dudes. Yet, it seemed like everyone was ready to either touch or accept my 'Lil Ryder despite my purposely avoiding flirting with anyone except my LI.

This is all my opinion and high five to all my pals who are and have enjoyed the game. For me, though, as a Mass Effect game it did the series a disservice (EA agrees) and as a game, it was not very well produced.

And here I was thinking +65 on an APEX mission was bad-ass.  Check out this crew:

First time I've seen more than +65 on an APEX mission in the phone app as well as a success percentage over 90% on a Gold mission. 

So my Strike Teams were all using the Exceptional Human Intelligence but now I've given each their own specialty. Breaching Charges IV, All Weather Gear IV, Night Vision IV, & Quick Response Vehicle IV are equipped with each team with EHI on two teams (as I'm still saving up for maybe something else).

Also today's dailies are Firebase Magma & Bronze Waves. That's seems like an easy on to grab some more Mission Funds.

So my Strike Teams were all using the Exceptional Human Intelligence but now I've given each their own specialty. Breaching Charges IV, All Weather Gear IV, Night Vision IV, & Quick Response Vehicle IV are equipped with each team with EHI on two teams (as I'm still saving up for maybe something else).

Also today's dailies are Firebase Magma & Bronze Waves. That's seems like an easy on to grab some more Mission Funds.
You forgot Empowered Shields for We Need A Hero missions.

https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/899030727089569792

"Our last update, 1.10, was the final update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no planned future patches for single-player or in-game story content.

In the coming weeks, our multiplayer team will provide details of their ongoing support and upcoming content, including new multiplayer missions, character kits, and what’s in store for N7 Day."

That truly makes me sad that this is the end of the road.  No single player content, nothing else, save multiplayer content they'll be milking for money until it'a a dry desiccated corpse.

I was wondering what would come N7 day.  Kinda weird this year, for me at least.  ME isn't riding high and I hope the day is still a celebration of all things Mass Effect.  It would be cool if they featured OT stuff and not just Andromeda for this N7 Day. 

bread's done
Back