Official Mass Effect: Andromeda Discussion (Hype/Speculation/Anticipation)

Oh shit... wait.  So, the game is live.  NOW?  I just saw Ryuu has a cheevo already.  Holy crap.  Ho-Ly Crap.  

THIS IS IT GUYS!!!  

Ugh, must stay strong.  must stay strong.....

check PM's, sent you a 1 month code.
Me getting that PM

tumblr_lqnrnmnKHf1qafrh6.gif

Thanks buddy!

The EA Access trial is live! Start customizing your Ryders and post what your impressions are (under spoiler tags, just to be safe).

Waited forever for it to download but I was watching hockey and didn't realize you can start at a certain percentage. I told myself I was gonna go and do multiplayer and leave the single player for when I experience the full game but I caved lol. Take into account I haven't seen anything about the game like previews or anything and have tried to stay spoiler free overall. Being as broad as I can be, you def can see the Dragon Age: Inquisition influence. The new dialogue process is similar of what we did in Inquisition and I'm fine with that. This isn't to be hard to expect as Dragon Age 2 had influences from Mass Effect 2, which previously came out that title. The exploration feels a little narrow but then again it was the first mission or so and you do have options of how you'll go about the mission. There's a lot of chatter and it feels quite lively with your squad and others. I've gone through and i'm at the third mission. There's a scene where you'll go oh shit. I wouldn't even spoiler tag it because it's def one to experience yourself. I've found the interactions with the A.I. seems natural and enriches how much the world feels alive and vast. I can't wait to dive back into it tomorrow. Oh and I went with Scott Ryder with Hardcore difficulty. From what I played, I enjoyed it and can't wait to get my hands on the full game.

I also set my Xbox One background to a screenshot I made, oohhh man can you remember when we used to pay for fuckin' themes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving it so far. :) Took me a little bit to get used to the new combat controls-- I kept pressing A trying to get into cover and flying around instead. Walking around, talking to people, soaking up the lore-- this is Mass Effect!! (Two references to people and politics from the original trilogy had me practically twitching with excitement.)

I'm still very early, I just got access to the Tempest. I had to do the first mission (which is quite long and detailed for an intro mission! even has sidequests!) over again, because I just wasn't happy with how my Ryder looked. One of those things where he looked fine in the character creator, and then as soon as he's in-game, boom-- eyes too close together.

All in all, it's everything I wanted from current-gen Mass Effect and I've barely even gotten started. :)

I think I might abandon this thread for a while, fellas. I want to go in fresh and avoid any/all potential spoiler chatter. 

(I'm not saying you guys have done this, just taking preventative measures.)

I heard the beginning is a slow start and the game gets way better later. I think most of the negative reaction so far is due to this. But I'm glad there's positive reaction so far in this thread because I trust your guys opinion.

Not sure it would, since ME: A starts at the time between ME2 and ME3 and finishes up 600 years later. There's not much that would pull over between the two series.
Yeah that's what I didn't understand. The creators made a point to tell people to hold on to their old saves, but for what reason?

I thought at the very most you would be asked to fill in which decisions you made as Shepard in ME 1-3, but to keep the actual save data makes no sense.

Yeah that's what I didn't understand. The creators made a point to tell people to hold on to their old saves, but for what reason?

I thought at the very most you would be asked to fill in which decisions you made as Shepard in ME 1-3, but to keep the actual save data makes no sense.
The other question is how you'd get to those saves. I'm betting they would have to be moved to cloud saves for the X1 to see them, though what happens with them, who knows?

At the point ME: A starts, Shepard would have beaten the Collectors, Cereberus was still around and kicking, the Reapers were on their way as we find out from Arrival in ME2 and general consensus that the Reapers were on the way was pretty minimal.

Loving it so far. :) Took me a little bit to get used to the new combat controls-- I kept pressing A trying to get into cover and flying around instead. Walking around, talking to people, soaking up the lore-- this is Mass Effect!! (Two references to people and politics from the original trilogy had me practically twitching with excitement.)
Hahahaha, I did the same and on Hardcore, you don't want to jump jet out of cover lol. Also pressing "back", which is now the three lines or "View Button" brings up your weapon wheel and holding it will holster your weapon. Yeah I had to grow accustomed into that one too.

Ahhh, you spend time in the character creator for the timed trial? Rookie mistake. :nottalking:

The other question is how you'd get to those saves. I'm betting they would have to be moved to cloud saves for the X1 to see them, though what happens with them, who knows?

At the point ME: A starts, Shepard would have beaten the Collectors, Cereberus was still around and kicking, the Reapers were on their way as we find out from Arrival in ME2 and general consensus that the Reapers were on the way was pretty minimal.
What??? Excuse my ignorance, but I thought ME: A happened after Shepard defeated the Reapers in ME 3 and chose one of the 3 solutions. My dumbass coworker (who loves ME) told me ME: A would run on the premise that Shepard chose "Destroy", and ME: A is centered around finding suitable planets for humans to live on.

So Shepard is still alive in ME: A, and not just the Michael Jordan of space? If so it would be cool to meet him/her with Ryder.

What??? Excuse my ignorance, but I thought ME: A happened after Shepard defeated the Reapers in ME 3 and chose one of the 3 solutions. My dumbass coworker (who loves ME) told me ME: A would run on the premise that Shepard chose "Destroy", and ME: A is centered around finding suitable planets for humans to live on.

So Shepard is still alive in ME: A, and not just the Michael Jordan of space? If so it would be cool to meet him/her with Ryder.
The arks leave the Milky Way in 2185 (around the time of Mass Effect 2) and arrive in Andromeda in 2819. So the events of Mass Effect 3 happened over 600 years ago, but no one in Andromeda knows what happened nor does it affect them.

I heard the beginning is a slow start and the game gets way better later. I think most of the negative reaction so far is due to this. But I'm glad there's positive reaction so far in this thread because I trust your guys opinion.
You know I read this and went on with my day and it just kept staying in the back of my brain. So I'm gonna say what I'm thinking.

Of course it's slow! You're not military alliance here, you're a freaking employee under the Pathfinder organization. These are the guys who will go and scan the local fauna and shit lol.

Nope. ME: A "starts" in-between the two games. Like this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-how-mass-effect-andromeda-avoids-dealing-wit/1100-6445195/

More specifically:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-07-now-we-know-exactly-when-mass-effect-andromeda-is-set

Your new character Ryder will leave the Milky Way galaxy on their 600-year journey to Andromeda in 2185.

That's the year that Mass Effect 2's events conclude, and that game's Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC takes place.

The following year, 2186, is when Mass Effect 2's Arrival DLC is set, when the Reapers actually invade the Milky Way, and when Mass Effect 3 begins.

By the time this happens, your ark ship (and four others) is already on its way to Andromeda, and its crew is in cryo-sleep. Hence, your characters will not have seen the Reaper war or how you chose to conclude it.

Or, if they are somehow informed after they awake, it already took place 600 years ago and was already resolved. Handy!

This places the main action of Andromeda somewhere in the region of 2785.
The arks leave the Milky Way in 2185 (around the time of Mass Effect 2) and arrive in Andromeda in 2819. So the events of Mass Effect 3 happened over 600 years ago, but no one in Andromeda knows what happened nor does it affect them.
Always makes me wonder why if we're that far ahead, we don't see Milky Way residents already out here, assuming the usual increases in drive speeds and the like over time. Or, maybe we'll figure that out in game and I should just shut up about it? ;)

There's plenty of sci-fi stories about sleeper ships being sent out that take generations to get to their destinations and they run into future descendants who are already there due to technological increases that happen along the way.

Like this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-how-mass-effect-andromeda-avoids-dealing-wit/1100-6445195/

Always makes me wonder why if we're that far ahead, we don't see Milky Way residents already out here, assuming the usual increases in drive speeds and the like over time. Or, maybe we'll figure that out in game and I should just shut up about it? ;)

There's plenty of sci-fi stories about sleeper ships being sent out that take generations to get to their destinations and they run into future descendants who are already there due to technological increases that happen along the way.
Wow, that's really interesting. I hadn't considered that possibility. Maybe the twist ending of Andromeda will be that Joker shows up wearing his Synthesis Hat. "Hey guys, I decided to drop by Andromeda, what's up? Everything going well?"

Wow, that's really interesting. I hadn't considered that possibility. Maybe the twist ending of Andromeda will be that Joker shows up wearing his Synthesis Hat. "Hey guys, I decided to drop by Andromeda, what's up? Everything going well?"
It wouldn't be that much of a surprise, though not trying to be a spoil-sport with this thought, that we see Milky Way people showing up during Andromeda on the assumption that drive speeds have worked up to the point of intergalactic travel being an option without sleeper ships.

Then, it brings up the interesting question of what that ends up being, if it happens.....

Speaking of past crew members, I just did

the part on the Nexus where you discover your father contacted Liara and there's a few audio logs from her. It was nice to hear her voice again. I about choked up, what an iconic character.

5 Days and Counting!

30541099230_0b37c6115d_h.jpg

There's been some ugly articles of recent today, bitching about the animations being all wonky.  I hope there's some stuff in the day 1 patch that fixes it, or helps it out. 

Not cool to hear some of the ragging-on that's going on with it. 

Argh! I just got to the point where the campaign is gated. Guess I'm going to spending the rest of my 10 hours on multiplayer.
Yeah I have strike missions where I could go into multiplayer but I don't want to run out of time for the campaign but yeah I bet you can do both right lol.

Another thing to get used to, Holding Y while in the Nomad will do an extraction lol, well whoops I thought it was to exit the vehicle.

I finally got to play this tonight and I love it!  I only played 2 hours of the multiplayer, didn't touch the campaign and I doubt I will until Tuesday.  The MP is so perfect!!!   It's the right blend of familiar from ME3 and new with the controls.  I love the jet pack, that works seamlessly. 

The music at the menu/start screen is great, too.  For all the talk of this game in the past few months, there has been very little about the music and that is one of the key ingredients to a ME title, I think.  I hope the overall soundtrack and score are good.  Do we even know who the composer is? 

4 Days and Counting!

IMAGE_01.jpg

Did some more snow removal today, now the UPS guy can turn around in our driveway lol. So much snow!

Apparently BB decided to make a joke and ship my two Nomads first before the games. :wall:

EDIT: Now my two SBs are being shipped out, by themselves.  Oh lovely. :wall: :wall:   Time to pray for no damage. 

I'm cancelling mine. I was a big fan of the series(I have the big limited edition Normandy statue, once owned nearly every ME2 lithograph), but that video of the NPC shooting their gun backwards, along with the news there is no real timeframe for fixes, did me in.

Yeah it's ridiculous that a few bad apples spoil the bunch. People are blowing the facial animations running animations out of proportion. I get it, it's the internet but other than a dumbfounded look on my character that's all I've seen that fealt "off".

Well it said I had about 6 hours left when I started the trial today and prob 30 - 45 mins in I came up to the gate's finish. So I started playing multiplayer and trying to do strike team missions. Man am I rusty and it only took me 1 match to realize I need supplies and that those exist lol. Nice to have loyalty packs up for grabs if you, I've assumed, linked your origins account with said game, Inquisition & ME3 in this case. I see a bunch of stuff in the multiplayer, this'll keep me entertained for days, as did ME3's.

The multiplayer is enough for me haha I was so engrossed in ME3's multiplayer that I decided that my 10 would just be dedicated to the multiplayer this week and I am almost out of time now! Lots of fun and cannot wait for the actual release!

My trial just expired during wave 6 of a multiplayer match. :(
That is what I have been worrying about... I wish they would just have a small countdown starting with your 10 hours. Clearly they are tracking the time, would it be that to have that timer visible to us as we play??

Ahh man Ryu, living the high life and then sorry guys I'm poor again. User signed off.

Also now that I got to the end of the campaign trial I'm listening/watching/reading to a lot of critics talking about their run with the beginning of the game and it sounds to me that everyone wants The Witcher 3 in space?! I don't, I want Mass Effect, (and I love The Witcher 3 as well). Mako, scanning, crafting, exploring, reading a bunch of lore are all things I like because other than the awesome combat and meaty dialogue, that's what Mass Effect is to me. Shrugs, I had a wonderful time with the trial, looking eagerly towards when the full game gets shipped to my house. Come on Amazon don't let me down, you said release day shipping.

Is it Tuesday yet?  No?  

[Sigh]

After seeing days of people screaming "Broken game!" over the facial animations, I think the cooler heads on the internet are starting to prevail (I know..."cooler heads" and "internet" don't really go together).  This morning I read a couple good summations of the situation that put things in perspective.  Talking to people who have actually played the trial over the past few days has me very excited.  The game sounds like the Mass Effect I know and love.  However, I had so much fun with the MP last time around, I'm worried that if I step into it too soon I will get distracted and forget to play the SP campaign.  

So I played a ton of ME3 multiplayer but largely going in solo so I never really realized the one huge downside that apparently is here too.... You can't party up?!?! There is no way for you and a buddy to group up and then go look for a quick match together. WTF?? You either have to make a private game and then open it up to the public and wait for people to join or you quick match and hope there is an open slot that stays while you invite your friend. How the eff is this feature missing... it is online gaming 101. Bah.

bread's done
Back