Official Microsoft Points and Xbox Live subscriptions Deal Thread - Read rules in OP!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Xbox Live Subscription and Microsoft Currency deal thread!

This thread is for in-store or online deals on Live subscriptions or Microsoft currency/Microsoft Points.

It is NOT for:

• Discussion of Bing Search and using Bing to get currency or other rewards
  • Discussion of exploits related to receiving a free month of Xbox Live
Happy gaming!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChernobylCow']I have a $10 Reward Zone coupon at Best Buy. Will I be able to use it for a 1600 points card?[/QUOTE]

Yes you will. I plan on doing the same thing since I was emailed about a $10 coupon. I may just grab the 4000 points instead for $40.

[quote name='Spanky']Yes you will. I plan on doing the same thing since I was emailed about a $10 coupon. I may just grab the 4000 points instead for $40.[/QUOTE]

Where?! I want 4000 for 40!

[quote name='Spanky']Yes you will. I plan on doing the same thing since I was emailed about a $10 coupon. I may just grab the 4000 points instead for $40.[/QUOTE]

The 1600 is a better value

1600 = $2.5/400pts
4000 = $4/400pts

[quote name='Corvin']The 1600 is a better value

1600 = $2.5/400pts
4000 = $4/400pts[/QUOTE]

This is not really true. It would be if you were talking about a $10 1600 points card vs a $40 4000 points card, but because a RZ reward cert is essentially cash at Best Buy you're still really talking about $20/1600 vs $50/4000. It just appears as a better deal because you're taking a larger percentage of the cost off the card. It's like saying "the better deal is to save up $50 in RZ certs and get a 4000 point card."

[quote name='Izod517'] It just appears as a better deal because you're taking a larger percentage of the cost off the card. [/QUOTE]

Unless my math is off it doesn't appear to be a better deal, it is a better deal. I Why pay $4 for something you can have for $2.50?

Simply put you are paying:
$40/4000 = $.01 per
MSpoints_12_12.png

$10/1600 = $.00625 per
MSpoints_12_12.png

Since we're talking currency to currency the end result is what matters, not the initial conversion or discount percentage.

[quote name='Izod517']because a RZ reward cert is essentially cash at Best Buy [/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't matter what a RZ is considered because you still walk out with a $10 discount. It can't be considered cash unless they are willing to give me $10 cash for my coupon and let me walk out the door to spend it somewhere else.

Then again, it's early in the morning and maybe I've got this all wrong. :lol:

[quote name='Corvin']Why pay $4 for something you can have for $2.50? [/QUOTE]

Why buy Chinese food when they give away little samples of General Tso chicken for free? Because you want more.

If he wanted more than 1600 points, buying a 4000 point card with the $10 RZ certificate is no worse a deal than buying a 1600 point card for $10 and 2400 more points at regular price ($30).

Now if you could buy multiple 1600 point cards at half price, sure. Otherwise it's a whole lot of fuzzy math.

[quote name='Corvin']....
I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't matter what a RZ is considered because you still walk out with a $10 discount. It can't be considered cash unless they are willing to give me $10 cash for my coupon and let me walk out the door to spend it somewhere else.

Then again, it's early in the morning and maybe I've got this all wrong. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It does matter, because the way an RZ cert is treated it's an opportunity cost of $10 - it is cash AT best buy - you could spend that $10 on anything else in the store, it's like saying "I got a better deal than you on this new X360 game because I got it $10 cheaper with my RZ Cert", no you didn't you still spent a total currency of X on the game, same as I did, just because the FORM of payment was different doesn't mean you got a better deal. It's like saying "because I paid with my credit card for $10 of this, I got a better deal." Again you could say "its a better deal to save up $50 in RZ and get 4000 points for free!" by your math you'd be getting an absolutely amazing deal - which really you are not because you're just spending $50 for 4000 points. It's not a 50% off discount. I understand how you came to your conclusion but really it's like saying $20 for 1600 is better than $50 for 4000 points - which is wrong.

[quote name='Izod517']It does matter, because the way an RZ cert is treated it's an opportunity cost of $10 - it is cash AT best buy - you could spend that $10 on anything else in the store, it's like saying "I got a better deal than you on this new X360 game because I got it $10 cheaper with my RZ Cert", no you didn't you still spent a total currency of X on the game, same as I did, just because the FORM of payment was different doesn't mean you got a better deal. It's like saying "because I paid with my credit card for $10 of this, I got a better deal." Again you could say "its a better deal to save up $50 in RZ and get 4000 points for free!" by your math you'd be getting an absolutely amazing deal - which really you are not because you're just spending $50 for 4000 points. It's not a 50% off discount. I understand how you came to your conclusion but really it's like saying $20 for 1600 is better than $50 for 4000 points - which is wrong.[/QUOTE]

It's dependent upon whether or not you consider that RZ certificate as cash upon receiving it, or as a discount on a future purchase. Neither view is necessarily better than the other, but you may lean towards one or the other depending on how much you actually shop at BestBuy.

If your RZ Certificate is cash, it was cash given to you to spend at Bestbuy on whatever you choose. In this scenario, purchasing either of these point cards isn't saving you a single thing. You were given cash, and you view that as your bonus, and you blew this cash on something that wasn't on sale.

If you view your RZ Certificate as a coupon (which more infrequent shoppers of BestBuy might do), then you would choose your item carefully and your savings as a percentage of a single transaction (since you're not likely to spend the Certificate on anything else), much like Corvin did.

Ultimately, it all depends on how frequently you shop at BestBuy.

Good point Guardian. All depends on your point of view. To me a RZ cert is the same as a gift card/coupon. It's a discount I otherwise wouldn't have gotten without it. It's not a deal for everyone, but it was a deal for me. Like Guardian said, I don't go there often, so I try and use them on something that "counts."

[quote name='Izod517']It does matter, because the way an RZ cert is treated it's an opportunity cost of $10 - it is cash AT best buy - you could spend that $10 on anything else in the store, it's like saying "I got a better deal than you on this new X360 game because I got it $10 cheaper with my RZ Cert", no you didn't you still spent a total currency of X on the game, same as I did, just because the FORM of payment was different doesn't mean you got a better deal. [/QUOTE]

So in this scenario, you are handed a $50 gift card for your birthday and buy Madden '11. Do you tell people you paid $60 for Madden or $10? It was $50 you otherwise wouldn't have had that gave you a nice discount on the item you wanted. Same as a RZ certificate. Again, it may not be a deal for everyone, but it was certainly a deal for you.

The credit card example isn't analogous since you owe 100% of the SRP out of your pocket when you walk out the door. Not quite the same as gift card/certs.

Personally, until they let you convert it at the register to a $10 bill you can walk out the door with(never gonna happen), it's still simply a $10 coupon/gift certificate good for anything in the store. I don't have one in front of me, but don't they have something along the lines of "has no cash value" in fine print?

Interesting debate, btw. :)

For those of you without RZ coupons... Maximus Cards are having a sale, 4000 MSP for $42.5, not sure how long it's going to last.

Site is trustworthy, just ordered a card and got it after a few minutes, worked fine. Although the normal checkout wouldn't accept my card for some reason, had to pay through Google Checkout.

You can find it on this page: http://www.maximuscards.com/itempage.php?cat=1
And if you feel like earning me some referral cash, go through here: http://www.maximuscards.com/?ref=hera19wtj9 :)

Cheers!

[quote name='totoguy']For those of you without RZ coupons... Maximus Cards are having a sale, 4000 MSP for $42.5, not sure how long it's going to last.

You can find it on this page: http://www.maximuscards.com/itempage.php?cat=1
And if you feel like earning me some referral cash, go through here: http://www.maximuscards.com/?ref=hera19wtj9 :)[/QUOTE]

Can anyone else here comment on this site?
I'm in need of a quick fix for some points, and I like the fact that the code is emailed to you. I'd hate to spend $40 to figure out it's not a very reputable place.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Can anyone else here comment on this site?
I'm in need of a quick fix for some points, and I like the fact that the code is emailed to you. I'd hate to spend $40 to figure out it's not a very reputable place.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter much now as it seems the deal is over, and they're back to their crappy normal prices.

For what it's worth to you, I can say once again that the place is reputable (got my code at least), and I know many other people who use it. Not sure why though, to be honest, since the normal prices are higher than what you can usually find on ebay. I guess people find online "stores" to be more reputable than random ebay sellers.

[quote name='DeathBringer']I use to get 4000 point cards for $30.

Those were the days!

Sigh...[/QUOTE]

Yeah until the morality police showed up.

[quote name='vlv723']Yeah until the morality police showed up.[/QUOTE]

You mean until Amazon started to crack down on CC fraud. There was a reason the 1600 and 4000 MSP cards were always top sellers.

Hey when Xbox.com says you have reached your "Daily purchase limit" how long do you have to actually wait to redeem another card? Like, does the limit reset at a certain time each day or is it just a full 24 hours after your last code redemption?

Man, I missed the deal on Amazon for $34. I figured I would wait and buy it again with my next 1600 MS points card. :whistle2:(

How long does it normally take Amazon (along with other retailers) to fluctuate between their competitive prices?

Any Dell coupons at the moment, or would the coupon be unstack-able since this is a limited time offer, and $15.00 is being deducted?
Thanks, vwbeetlvr for the deal and msu89dawgs for the information.

Edit: To clarify, free ground shipping comes automatically with orders over $49 before tax, hence FS with two 12-month codes.

Any idea if this is a week-long sale or "while supplies last" type thing?
I'm in for 6 – my brothers' birthdays are in a couple months and subscriptions run out shortly after and this would keep all three of us going for the next 2 years.

Anyway, I'd like to hold off until this Thursday to do this, but don't want to miss out either.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Any idea if this is a week-long sale or "while supplies last" type thing?
I'm in for 6 – my brothers' birthdays are in a couple months and subscriptions run out shortly after and this would keep all three of us going for the next 2 years.

Anyway, I'd like to hold off until this Thursday to do this, but don't want to miss out either.[/QUOTE]
The website states "Expires Thursday, August 19, 2010." I clicked "View Details" on the checkout screen after it says "Save $15 off this item!
Limited Time Offer!" but it's probably while supplies last as well.

[quote name='vwbeetlvr']http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...d=10550055-1225267-u202226t2180651f9fp0c0s441

DELL has a 12 month subscription for $29.99 right now. Buy 2 and get free shipping. You probably have to pay tax so its about $32 each with tax when youu buy 2. After tax and $6.99 shipping for me comes to $39.57 so its not such a hot deal to buy only 1.[/QUOTE]

I jsut picked this up. Nice one. I got one for a friend at work to get the free shipping. :D

I found a guy on eBay who sells 4000 point cards for $35. These are legit cards. I bought one and he emailed me the code along with a photo of the back of the actual card with the code visible. I was a little worried because he is a new seller (with no feedback at the time) but I used PayPal for protection. Anyway, I redeemed the code in my account and it worked great.

Since then I have bought more cards from him directly. He offers 2 1600 point cards for $25, which is a great deal. I bought 4 cards and he gave me even more of a discount ($47 total for 6400 points). All of the codes have redeemed fine, and I am back up to my 15,000 point comfort zone. :)

I have no idea where these cheap codes are coming from but he seems legit and he asked me to spread the word. I would post his email address for interested parties to contact him, but I don't remember CAG.com's policies on that. I don't know this guy myself so it's not a referral, but still. What's the best way to let others know about this deal?

[quote name='illennium']I found a guy on eBay who sells 4000 point cards for $35. These are legit cards. I bought one and he emailed me the code along with a photo of the back of the actual card with the code visible. I was a little worried because he is a new seller (with no feedback at the time) but I used PayPal for protection. Anyway, I redeemed the code in my account and it worked great.

Since then I have bought more cards from him directly. He offers 2 1600 point cards for $25, which is a great deal. I bought 4 cards and he gave me even more of a discount ($47 total for 6400 points). All of the codes have redeemed fine, and I am back up to my 15,000 point comfort zone. :)

I have no idea where these cheap codes are coming from but he seems legit and he asked me to spread the word. I would post his email address for interested parties to contact him, but I don't remember CAG.com's policies on that. I don't know this guy myself so it's not a referral, but still. What's the best way to let others know about this deal?[/QUOTE]Buying them off a stolen credit card?

[quote name='Envel']Buying them off a stolen credit card?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought about that. But you know, I just investigated a little further and I am not so sure. He sent me the URL of a gaming website he runs and it seems like the site accepts MS point cards as payment for something or other. It's very confusing to me and it's not a very good site, but it does seem like he accumulates these points cards from his users/customers. So it might be legit after all. No guarantees of course.

There was an ebay seller about a year ago offering crazy cheap cards too, I didn't ask any questions, I just bought 8 cards, heheh.

[quote name='illennium']I found a guy on eBay who sells 4000 point cards for $35. These are legit cards. I bought one and he emailed me the code along with a photo of the back of the actual card with the code visible. I was a little worried because he is a new seller (with no feedback at the time) but I used PayPal for protection. Anyway, I redeemed the code in my account and it worked great.

I have no idea where these cheap codes are coming from but he seems legit and he asked me to spread the word. I would post his email address for interested parties to contact him, but I don't remember CAG.com's policies on that. I don't know this guy myself so it's not a referral, but still. What's the best way to let others know about this deal?[/QUOTE]

Who the heck is this guy?

Please tell me.

[quote name='DeathBringer']Who the heck is this guy?

Please tell me.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to know as well. I've been spending a ton of points lately and would love to stock up again.

If you don't want to post, at least send us a PM.

I would be interested in buying points from this ebay seller as well. Thanks for the information in advance.

yea were all interested in that ebay seller.

about a year ago though i got 4000 points on ebay for $32 because he had a bunch of 4000 point cards that expired at the end of that month i guess.

[quote name='svtcobrastang1984']yea were all interested in that ebay seller.

about a year ago though i got 4000 points on ebay for $32 because he had a bunch of 4000 point cards that expired at the end of that month i guess.[/QUOTE]

But they don't expire. I'd be interested in knowing the eBay seller. May as well just post it in here, unless you're worried about him being outed or something.

[quote name='GuardianE']But they don't expire. I'd be interested in knowing the eBay seller. May as well just post it in here, unless you're worried about him being outed or something.[/QUOTE]

i know they don't expire but that's what he said in his auction. didn't bother me one bit since i got 4000 points cheap.

I did a quick look at past listings and could only find one seller that I think fits the description. "baseball" is somewhere in the ID but some negs were given for one of the 1600 msp. hopefully that CAG can verify the name

[quote name='darthballz']You can only order 1 point card from amazon? That is weak. Will I be able to order again at the $16 price.[/QUOTE]I think you're allowed 2/month

I ordered 1 last week and it says that I've reached the maximum allowable quantity. That's been my only amazon order for the past 6 months. Tough luck for me. I guess I'll hold off on getting Scott Pilgrim and Shank next week.

bread's done
Back