OFFICIAL MSRP Vita Price reduced to $199.99

Twitter

Banned
Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure there will be new games bundles, but I doubt they will throw in PS+ at the new MSRP price.
But a $50, $75 or $100 GC would solve that problefm & if they upgrade the 8 GB card to a 16 GB in the bundle with better/newer game it`s better too.

But a $50, $75 or $100 GC would solve that problefm & if they upgrade the 8 GB card to a 16 GB in the bundle with better/newer game it`s better too.
Point taken, but I think any hopes of seeing $75-100 GC with the Vita is a pipe dream.

$50 GC maybe, but I think a GC in the range of $20-30 is more realistic.

So tempting but I missed the Walmart deal. Think I may wait for an Amazon match, or just be patient until black Friday. I almost got the AC bundle last year. This year's deals will probably be even better.

Just out of curiosity, what was the AC bundle last year?
It was the white PSVita, 4 GB memory card, Assassins Creed Liberation (physical) and PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale (digital) and 3 months PS+ - all for $179.99

Waiting for incoming disappointment as new Vita owners quickly realize that half the retail stores have either clearanced their vita sections or relegated them to the smallest corner of the store already.

Waiting for incoming disappointment as new Vita owners quickly realize that half the retail stores have either clearanced their vita sections or relegated them to the smallest corner of the store already.
The game cases are like 2" x 4".... how much space does the Vita section actually require?

Why the hell would a Vita owner care about that? Most people shop online anyway...

Why the hell would a Vita owner care about that? Most people shop online anyway...
Exactly. And that's one of the reasons it's turning into an indie powerhouse. High digital-only title attach rates at higher prices than Steam = attractive to self-publishers.

Point taken, but I think any hopes of seeing $75-100 GC with the Vita is a pipe dream.

$50 GC maybe, but I think a GC in the range of $20-30 is more realistic.
$20-$30 that`s the pipe dream those are gc for ipods lol $50 gc is the sure thing
There`s 19 weeks left till yrs end & these 11 retailers
Fry`s
PC Richard
Bestbuy
Target
Sam`s Club
Costco
Newegg
Amazon
Kmart
Sears
TRU
Which means.you have at least 209 weekly ad chances. That doesn`t including 2 day, 3 day, holiday & special event sales. The odds are heavilly weighed in the customers favor.

Seemed like alot of people were busy scoring the clearanced items before getting the system. If sales truly skyrocket they will restock(sparingly at 1st) & reorganize accordingly

"Awww man, I don't have to pay much for new games for my new system!?!?! What gives!?!?"

...?

I'm going to keep holding off.  I'm sure around Black Friday, something will pop up.  I'm not into handhelds at all...just can't do it, but there are some stellar games I wanna play on the Vita.  Just gotta get it for cheap.

Lol ... the games are gone in most stores. TRU and Fry's have nearly killed their vita sections and Best Buy's section is looking more and more sparse each time I visit (of course, Best Buy has entirely shrunk their general gaming section).

And yes, you can buy a ton of digital stuff, if you enjoy never being able to resell your games or filling up that brand new 32 gb memory card with 6 or 7 games.

The system can be fun, but like so many of Sony's products, it hasn't received nearly enough support and I'm beginning to think most retailers have already given up on Vita.

Lol ... the games are gone in most stores. TRU and Fry's have nearly killed their vita sections and Best Buy's section is looking more and more sparse each time I visit (of course, Best Buy has entirely shrunk their general gaming section).

And yes, you can buy a ton of digital stuff, if you enjoy never being able to resell your games or filling up that brand new 32 gb memory card with 6 or 7 games.
Again, there is online shopping.

And personally, I do not know why would need more than a few games on your Vita at a time. The rest can be locally stored on the PS3/PS4, and transferred when you need them.

Not having the game in stores alienates a large portion of those who would buy a game or even the console. There are still plenty of people out there afraid of online shopping(or plain and simple don't have internet access) and plenty of children that aren't going to have credit cards. Not to mention those who are absolutely obsessed with having a box on their shelf as some kind of trophy that they own something. Working retail for a couple years taught me that. All the time I would mention how a game was on sale on the PSN store (so they could buy the $20 gift card instead of the $60 retail box still in store) and they would scoff at the idea. There's a reason that Gamestop is still in business, and it's not because they're reprinting games for $90.

At least be realistic... a 32 gb card has 29 gb of usable space, which means the average game (in your reality...) would be 4.14 gb. BlazBlue CSE is or at least was the largest game at 3.3 gb, so that would be a minimal of 9 (rounding up) games. I would say the average is closer to 800 mb - 1 gb, which is around 36 games total.

As far as the stock goes... not many places were carrying them in the first place. Target has actually expanded their Vita section, Walmart almost never gave it a shot, BestBuy is replacing gaming with tablet space (or the Samsung experience), Sears is removing gaming, TRU is one of the last places I would go for gaming and rarely have niche titles, Kmart doesn't have much of a section in the first place... so you have GameStop / Amazon like usual.

At least be realistic... a 32 gb card has 29 gb of usable space, which means the average game (in your reality...) would be 4.14 gb. BlazBlue CSE is or at least was the largest game at 3.3 gb, so that would be a minimal of 9 (rounding up) games. I would say the average is closer to 800 mb - 1 gb, which is around 36 games total.

As far as the stock goes... not many places were carrying them in the first place. Target has actually expanded their Vita section, Walmart almost never gave it a shot, BestBuy is replacing gaming with tablet space (or the Samsung experience), Sears is removing gaming, TRU is one of the last places I would go for gaming and rarely have niche titles, Kmart doesn't have much of a section in the first place... so you have GameStop / Amazon like usual.
As someone who has owned a Vita since November of last year, I can tell you that your estimate for average game size is on the extremely low side. Even at 32 gigs, I have to swap things out. If you have PS+, half those games will take up your whole card ... and don't forget that demos are also around 800 to a gig. Granted, I haven't updated my firmware in awhile, so I have a few other things that take up room on mine ... but 32 gb cards fill up faster than you'd think.

My target just redid the video game area and the vita section was reduced and hidden. I couldn't even see where they kept the systems themselves. The demo unit was gone. As for my Best Buy... to make room for the new Infinity figures, they shaved the area where the vita stuff was i.e. barely recognizable that it is still there.

Without shelf stock, Vita is just a figment of the imagination. Digital can only go so far.

As someone who has owned a Vita since November of last year, I can tell you that your estimate for average game size is on the extremely low side. Even at 32 gigs, I have to swap things out. If you have PS+, half those games will take up your whole card ... and don't forget that demos are also around 800 to a gig. Granted, I haven't updated my firmware in awhile, so I have a few other things that take up room on mine ... but 32 gb cards fill up faster than you'd think.
I've had a 32 GB since release and own over 40 digital Vita titles... Also don't forget that a lot of demos have unlock keys. Anyway just some random from plus / normal.

Star Wars pinball - 182 mb

Germinator - 363 mb

FFA - 1.9 gb

Kyntt - 640 mb

Zombie Tycoon II - 658 mb

Guacamelee - 327 mb

DoA 5 - 2.5 gb

Plants vs Zombies - 70 mb

Jet Set Radio - 1.1 gb

Chronovolt - 261 mb

Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 2.1 gb

Foodball - 134 mb

Gravity Daze - 1.4 gb

WipEout - 1.6 gb

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - 2.9 gb

Sly 4 - 3.3 gb

EDF - 631 mb

Jetpack Joyride - 29 mb

All-Stars - 1.3 gb

Uncharted - 2.9 gb

Ragnarok - 1.1 gb

Orgarhythm - 1.2 gb

Zero Escape - 1.2 gb

Dokuro - 310 mb

Retro City - 28 mb

Little King Story - 649 mb

Zen Pinball 2 - 241 mb

Tales from Space - 127 mb

Stardrone - 135 mb

Disgaea 2 - 2 gb

Sumioni - 287 mb

Motorstorm RC - 646 mb

Army Corps of Hell - 625 mb

Just some of my games in order as I wait for my show to start. These cover a LOT of the plus titles (which most people on this site have) and a lot of these games are close to the 1 gb mark I mentioned with some higher and some lower.

This may sound crazy, but the Vita still doesn't have any system sellers. Sure, it has some great ports and it's the psp you always wanted, with a better screen and two sticks, but as far as must have games go, there really isn't much. I'm saying this as someone who bought the system because I wanted to love it, and I do in a way, but not because of the vast library of high quality games. It has some good stuff, but it needs more 3rd party support to compete with the 3DS. Too many cancelled games or games in limbo (bioshock) and being ignored by certain publishers has left the Vita in an awkward spot.

Even the PS4 support sounds dicey, unless they really force developers to use the hardware and mandate the ability to play on the Vita as a second screen or portable streaming device. I support Sony, but they have a history of leaving things to die ... look at Move. Such a waste, even if they're trying to rekindle interest by adding support on the PS4.

Personally I think $199 is still too much, I paid $179 last November for a limited edition console that came with Assassins Creed and All Stars ... for those on the fence, waiting until BF can't hurt.

Actually, I have 81 games on my 32gb card (mixture of full Vita, smaller Vita, larger PSP, smaller PSP, PS Mini, and PS Mobile games). And I have 4gb free still, but only one slot left for a game. So a 32gb card really holds a lot of games, we're not all buying full Vita games anyway; PSP games look and play great on the Vita, plus there are the other types (small Vita, PS Mobile, etc.).

So really, you're not realistic by saying "6-7 games" per 32gb card; thats just straight BS.

I've had a 32 GB since release and own over 40 digital Vita titles... Also don't forget that a lot of demos have unlock keys. Anyway just some random from plus / normal.
Star Wars pinball - 182 mb
Germinator - 363 mb
FFA - 1.9 gb
Kyntt - 640 mb
Zombie Tycoon II - 658 mb
Guacamelee - 327 mb
DoA 5 - 2.5 gb
Plants vs Zombies - 70 mb
Jet Set Radio - 1.1 gb
Chronovolt - 261 mb
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 2.1 gb
Foodball - 134 mb
Gravity Daze - 1.4 gb
WipEout - 1.6 gb
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - 2.9 gb
Sly 4 - 3.3 gb
EDF - 631 mb
Jetpack Joyride - 29 mb
All-Stars - 1.3 gb
Uncharted - 2.9 gb
Ragnarok - 1.1 gb
Orgarhythm - 1.2 gb
Zero Escape - 1.2 gb
Dokuro - 310 mb
Retro City - 28 mb
Little King Story - 649 mb
Zen Pinball 2 - 241 mb
Tales from Space - 127 mb
Stardrone - 135 mb
Disgaea 2 - 2 gb
Sumioni - 287 mb
Motorstorm RC - 646 mb
Army Corps of Hell - 625 mb
Just some of my games in order as I wait for my show to start. These cover a LOT of the plus titles (which most people on this site have) and a lot of these games are close to the 1 gb mark I mentioned with some higher and some lower.
I'm jaded because I can play many of those on my iPhone, when I'm thinking Vita games, I'm considering the games that get a full retail release, not PSN, PSP, PS1 or throw away dollar games. Just a difference of perspective really. 3DS is still dominating the handheld market with full priced retail releases, like it or not.

Here's a good comparison ... Pokemon X and Y are going to sell hundreds of thousands of copies this Christmas. What does the Vita have in the same release time frame that will realistically compete?

I'm jaded because I can play many of those on my iPhone, when I'm thinking Vita games, I'm considering the games that get a full retail release, not PSN, PSP, PS1 or throw away dollar games. Just a difference of perspective really. 3DS is still dominating the handheld market with full priced retail releases, like it or not.

Here's a good comparison ... Pokemon X and Y are going to sell hundreds of thousands of copies this Christmas. What does the Vita have in the same release time frame that will realistically compete?
Even then those are the ones that are averaging 1 gb - 2 gb. Even amazing ones like Dragon's Crown are like 960 mb. Though I don't want to play the game of what you consider right and wrong, since I can't argue with ever changing rules... I mean Sumioni / Dokuro / Little King Story had retail releases in Japan, which are some of the lower file size titles.

How is that a good comparison? You're comparing a 20 year old franchise with an EXTREMELY large fan base on a console that has a larger demographic to the Vita when Sony is pushing for the PS4. Killzone Mercs is the best shot they have, but even then Killzone on the PS3 / 4 couldn't match Pokemon X and Y...

I'll keep my opinions of the entire Killzone franchise to myself, but the point is that the Vita release calendar is still pretty light and games like Tearaway ... hmm, not entirely convinced yet. But you raise a good point, Sony is wholly focused on the PS4, just as they were on the PS3 before that. The Vita has been relegated to the back burner and has never been a priority. New system owners should know that going in, because there are long periods of downtime as a vita owner who wants new, top tier experiences.

when Sony is pushing for the PS4.
I think you nailed it right there. Sony has failed to support Vita and all these embracing indie stuff is just something cheap and effortless that they can do to give the illusion of support... No need to convince publishers on the viability of making game on this platform... the indie developers are more than willing participant to have access and be able to sell $1 games on phone/pc for 5 to 10 times more to a game starved market. Indies, cheap ports... ya... not much push to make Vita a viable platform that can stand on its own.

I think you nailed it right there. Sony has failed to support Vita and all these embracing indie stuff is just something cheap and effortless that they can do to give the illusion of support... No need to convince publishers on the viability of making game on this platform... the indie developers are more than willing participant to have access and be able to sell $1 games on phone/pc for 5 to 10 times more. Indies, cheap ports... ya... not much push to make Vita a viable platform that can stand on its own.
Don't forget how easy that makes promotions (like the indie cross-buy one, PS Play) and offering more with Plus.

The system can be fun, but like so many of Sony's products, it hasn't received nearly enough support and I'm beginning to think most retailers have already given up on Vita.

laughter.gif

I love the Vita but I think it might be the most under utilitized hardware to date.

Nothing would get me off more then if they made a revised version with an android OS and an HDMI out. Think of all the possibilities.

You just can't do enough with the hardware for me to justify using it for anything other then gaming... and don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoy the gaming experience but I have devices better suited for watching netflix (i.e. smaller and more portable or larger and better viewing experience) and I just don't see them adding more worthwhile apps outside of YouTube and Netflix. Even checking my email on that is a PITA.

If the Vita only had indie games release on it from now on, I'd still be more than happy with my purchase.  I don't care if you can play these games on your phone or the computer, playing them on the Vita is the best way to play them.

I really want to get one of those IGC bundles for $199. But waiting til black friday in the hopes of a $150 or even $130 Vita bundle is too much.

Remember, even after the 3DS price drop to $169 in 2011 there were still $99 sales on BF

If the Vita only had indie games release on it from now on, I'd still be more than happy with my purchase. I don't care if you can play these games on your phone or the computer, playing them on the Vita is the best way to play them.

No I agree hands down it is the best thing I have ever held in my hands in regards to portable gaming... and I'm saying this as someone who was a very slow adopter when it came to owning a smart phone but it is just very nice to effortlessly be able to check my e-mail, send a CAG message, track an eBay purchase/sale, look for a deal, or one of any other acts of convenience that I can do from my phone.

And I get it... the Vita isn't a phone, and I'm glad it's not and that it isn't trying to emulate one but I want a real OS sooooo damn bad on this thing.

and it sucks even more so knowing it ain't gonna happen

I really want to get one of those IGC bundles for $199. But waiting til black friday in the hopes of a $150 or even $130 Vita bundle is too much.

Remember, even after the 3DS price drop to $169 in 2011 there were still $99 sales on BF

There were $99 sales on BF that year? Where? The planet formerly known as pluto? The best I saw on BF after the inital price drop was $130 from Buy via their eBay store.

If they were willing to take $80 off the Vita last year on BF with official bundles, maybe we'll get a $100-$130 bundle this BF? Since there isn't a lot of vita demand there wasn't as much demand for it during BF last year making it one of the easier items to get in a packed store. I mean, they only sold 225k Vita during ALL november 2012. I remember being in Target and seeing stacks of that vita bundle lying there as everyone rushed to get tvs, 360s, etc.

There were $99 sales on BF that year? Where? The planet formerly known as pluto? The best I saw on BF after the inital price drop was $130 from Buy via their eBay store.
Heb Plus in certain states had 3DS systems for $99 on black friday in 2011. I know some people who price matched at other stores that morning.

If they were willing to take $80 off the Vita last year on BF with official bundles, maybe we'll get a $100-$130 bundle this BF? Since there isn't a lot of vita demand there wasn't as much demand for it during BF last year making it one of the easier items to get in a packed store. I mean, they only sold 225k Vita during ALL november 2012. I remember being in Target and seeing stacks of that vita bundle lying there as everyone rushed to get tvs, 360s, etc.
I think it is more likely that they'll do a small price reduction (i.e. either $169 or $179) and add in some games or a PS+ membership. I don't see them discounting this further.

I would expect lighter discounts between $180 and $170 on BF with downloadable game codes packed in at places like Amazon or Best Buy, or a few months of PS+, maybe a memory card too.

This is Sony's equivalent of putting out a burning 10 story building with a squirt gun.

$50 off and around $20 or so off memory cards is STILL ridiculously expensive. Maybe retailer deals get it down to even more reasonable levels, but a 32GB card of ANYTHING for $80 is a friggin JOKE. I can find the SD equivalent for under $20 on any given Slickdeals thread each couple days.

$200 for the library it has is also a joke. It may get to tolerable levels like when the 3DS XL gets retailer deals, but there haven't been many for Vita at all since it launched, unlike 3DS where if you're paying full $200 MSRP any given week you're a sucker - Vita has slim to no presence from a given retailer.

And on top of all that, the supposed best thing about the Vita is the PS Plus package. Even repeating the ridiculous memory prices I've already said, there's this big Indie push on Vita - and you're paying full price for a bunch of old Indie games you can get for next to nothing in a given humble bundle or on Steam.

If Sony wanted to become a real player, not a ressurgence by any means, but at least have a PULSE they would redesign the Vita, get it down to about $175 MSRP, ALLOW SD CARD SUPPORT, and team up with Humble Bundle for Vita keys for Indie games purchased just like Steam.

Otherwise, that's horribly overpriced memory, overpriced system, and overpriced games. One, two, three strikes you're out Sony.

Price drops happens and the same dumb asses that wanted it to drop in price in the first place now want it to drop further.  At this point people that still want the price to be reduce weren't interested in it in the first place.

Price drops happens and the same dumb asses that wanted it to drop in price in the first place now want it to drop further. At this point people that still want the price to be reduce weren't interested in it in the first place.
Because it's that much overpriced. The 3DS dropped what, like $80 when Nintendo knew they screwed up?

I remember when this board used to discuss deals instead of collapsing into GameFAQs-styled fanboy pissing matches.  

Don't want a Vita?  Who cares.  Why shit up threads just to tell people who don't care just how much you don't want one?

I remember when this board used to discuss deals instead of collapsing into GameFAQs-styled fanboy pissing matches.

Don't want a Vita? Who cares. Why shit up threads just to tell people who don't care just how much you don't want one?
Discussing deals = discussing whether the topic of price is a good deal or not.

Has nothing to with fanboyism. I'm not a fanboy of anyone, I own no system right now, I'm just an advocate of good pricing. Sony hit it out of the park with PS4 pricing, at least relative to competitors. Vita pricing was, and still is, horrible.

Don't want a Vita? Who cares. Why shit up threads just to tell people who don't care just how much you don't want one?
oh come on, how often do Vita get in the limelight! We got >insert name< consoles always get shit on whenever there is a deal thread. This is Vita's time to shine! :)

FYI used Vita price at GS is $170 for the ones freshly traded in, not the Gamestop-refurbished ones. I had bought an AC white Vita that was in pretty good shape before the price drop then went back in and got my $30 back, put it towards a preorder.

bread's done
Back