Official NHL 11 CAG Team - CheapyD All Stars - Hockey Nights Tue @ 10e / Fri @ 8e

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, October stats have been compiled. As before, remember that FO%, OFF, Give, and Take includes drop-in games. So, depending on how many you've played, the numbers could be a bit off. To help aid that, I added a new stat column to show everyone's Give/Take ratio. To me, this is an EXTREMELY telling stat because it basically equals turnovers...and how many negative ones you have for every positive one you create. In general, the people with the highest numbers are the ones who need to improve their passing and awareness on the ice.

Hopefully these numbers shine some light on what each person needs to work on during the next season. Players who didn't play this season had their numbers zeroed out to make reading the chart easier. But EVERYONE is more than welcome to play in November to try to earn a spot on the playoff roster. There is absolutely NO REASON why anybody can't make that happen. The only thing stopping you is you.

October 2010 Stats
(stats can be sorted by clicking the category name at the top of each column)

I'm surprised my shooting percentage is that high. I thought it would be closer to 5-6%, not almost 9. Decent Give/Take ratio. Also, that's a heckuva PPG out of Alan playing D. To me a Dman who averages one or more is doing a great job moving the puck.

Nevermind on my first point, deleted.

As for getting those 83 in, it's really just getting people together to play on the spot. Multiple teammates are online? Lets get an impromptu hockey night going.

[quote name='moojuice']Nevermind on my first point, deleted.

As for getting those 83 in, it's really just getting people together to play on the spot. Multiple teammates are online? Lets get an impromptu hockey night going.[/QUOTE]

No, he's still right though. You had 85 points in 83 games. Granted, there were a few times where you played LW. But there's no question the majority of your games were as a defenseman. So, I agree. That's pretty damn good.

Yeah, 85 points in 83 games is pretty damn good. Granted you probably played LW more this month than last month. But still, the majority of your games were as a defenseman, so that is pretty freaking impressive.

Probably.

With Statnut and DT shooting close to over over 10%, we really should be getting them more shots. We usually only need 2 or 3 goals to win, and we've been getting close to 30 shots per game lately.

[quote name='moojuice']Probably.

With Statnut and DT shooting close to over over 10%, we really should be getting them more shots. We usually only need 2 or 3 goals to win, and we've been getting close to 30 shots per game lately.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think that's why my assist numbers took a ridiculous jump this month. When I can get either of them set up, it usually leads to good things. I don't know if this is a stupid idea or not, but maybe having one of them hang back in the defensive zone to help the d-men get the puck out, so I can get out on the break to set the other winger up would increase our scoring? I know when I'm able to carry the puck into the zone, I try to draw guys to me, or circle back and see if I can catch their defense scrambling and find who they're not covering.

Either that or statnut and DarkTower just need to get more comfortable playing with and passing to each other. I did notice a few times last night where you guys were overlapping the same area and bunching up their defenders. Brandon and I have played so many games together now, I generally know where he's going to go on most plays, and I'll purposely go the other direction to try to spread their defense. So, maybe it's just a chemistry thing.

To go along with that, you guys should trust your shot. Know that you're scoring often and put one on net instead of looking for that extra pass. I like being set up for a goal as much as the next guy, but if you've got a chance to put something on net, definitely take it. Maybe not if you're the first guy rushing into the zone and the goalie has nobody else to worry about. But if we move the puck around and it comes to you, fire away! haha :)

That chemistry will come in time I think. I know where Nate and Alan headed most of the time as soon as I see their first few steps so I know where to put the puck. That comes with playing so many games together.

[quote name='DarkTower80']That chemistry will come in time I think. I know where Nate and Alan headed most of the time as soon as I see their first few steps so I know where to put the puck. That comes with playing so many games together.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, definitely.

We're aiming at making our playoff run tonight right? I know Alan said he had to work, but was maybe, possibly getting off early? I messaged Gary about playing (since I think he had signed off by the time we talked about it), and he said he could play. We just need to figure out a time.

Any time works for me tonight. I'm off today and have a short work day tomorrow. Will probably be playing on Fable 3 or Force Unleashed 2 most of the night. Just message me and I'll switch.

[quote name='jza1218']Looks like Matt and Vulcan are pretty even stat wise, though Vulcan has played more games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out when nobody else noticed. I didn't even compare and contrast stats; I just went by what I saw in games. So I actually have better overall letter grades, a lot fewer penalty minutes- least on the team by far, besides Destro, Regian, and Wpark, who barely played any games. I did play in half the number of games Gary did, though. But in those games, I only scored 3 fewer points than he did, so that's pretty good.

My plus-minus is only a little worse, but Gary did play goalie in some games and didn't get a plus-minus rating for those. However, I had that really bad game referenced earlier, plus I played 2/3 of my games before the new tuner set came out, so we allowed more goals in those games. Blocked shots, Gary has a lot more than me. The game doesn't count blocked shots correctly, though that's supposed to be patched. It only counts them now when you hold down the bumper, and not when you just stand in front of the puck.

Hits, he has a little more than twice as many as I do in around twice as many games, minus however many he played as a goalie. My give/take was pretty bad and will be worked on, but I'm not sure how much of that comes from battling for the puck in the corner and behind the net and passing it back there, switching possessions several times. Still, Gary was much better than me in that area for sure.

So I definitely have a couple areas I need to work on, but it looks like I am well qualified for the playoff roster.

[quote name='Matt Young']My give/take was pretty bad and will be worked on, but I'm not sure how much of that comes from battling for the puck in the corner and behind the net and passing it back there, switching possessions several times. Still, Gary was much better than me in that area for sure.[/QUOTE]

For me, this was the difference maker. Give/Take is having possession of the puck stolen/stealing possession of the puck. It doesn't count loose pucks behind the net. Like it or not, you turn the puck over a lot, Matt. I went back and looked at your G/T ratio from September, and it was just as bad. You also played in less games than last month. Gary played in more games and improved his passing. Can we draw conclusions from that? I don't know. But we decided that he put in the work to improve his play and it showed. That gave him the edge.

But almost 5 giveaways for every takeaway is awful. No other way to look at it. And as a defenseman, you don't have anybody behind you when you lose the puck, so it often leads to goals. Your defensive positioning has always been good (as reflected by your position grade). Turning the puck over/passing is probably the weakest part of your game. Improve on that, and you'll be a beast.

[quote name='Matt Young']So I definitely have a couple areas I need to work on, but it looks like I am well qualified for the playoff roster.[/QUOTE]

You definitely are qualified, and I never said it wasn't close or that you weren't in consideration. There were just others who were more qualified this month. That's all there is to it. It was never and will never be anything personal.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']For me, this was the difference maker. Give/Take is having possession of the puck stolen/stealing possession of the puck. It doesn't count loose pucks behind the net. Like it or not, you turn the puck over a lot, Matt. I went back and looked at your G/T ratio from September, and it was just as bad. You also played in less games than last month. Gary played in more games and improved his passing. Can we draw conclusions from that? I don't know. But we decided that he put in the work to improve his play and it showed. That gave him the edge.

But almost 5 giveaways for every takeaway is awful. No other way to look at it. And as a defenseman, you don't have anybody behind you when you lose the puck, so it often leads to goals. Your defensive positioning has always been good (as reflected by your position grade). Turning the puck over/passing is probably the weakest part of your game. Improve on that, and you'll be a beast.

You definitely are qualified, and I never said it wasn't close or that you weren't in consideration. There were just others who were more qualified this month. That's all there is to it. It was never and will never be anything personal.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. It's just that, like I said before, I felt I was playing mostly well and the stats backed that up with those few exceptions. I just wanted to make sure I got a fair shot. I wasn't trying to make anyone else look bad or unqualified, because everyone who's playing is qualified.

I never thought it was anything personal, and I hope no one else did, either. I hope I actually get a chance to play with you guys so I can work on passing. I don't know if single player or drop in games could help that at all.

Good luck tonight, but know that I intend to be on the roster for next month's playoffs.

[quote name='Matt Young']I never thought it was anything personal, and I hope no one else did, either. I hope I actually get a chance to play with you guys so I can work on passing. I don't know if single player or drop in games could help that at all.

Good luck tonight, but know that I intend to be on the roster for next month's playoffs.[/QUOTE]

This is how we were hoping you'd respond, Matt. Nobody here has ever questioned your commitment to the team or your willingness to improve. Personally, I hope you can get in more than 29 games in November, but hopefully the new tuner set will help with that. As for getting better with your passing, any time you play probably helps.

Even with crappy drop in games with people who don't know what they're doing (although as a defenseman, the only time you'll probably touch the puck is when you dig it out to pass to a forward cherry picking) you can at least strive to be the best player on your team. And like we said before, if you see a couple of us on during the week and you feel like playing hockey, by all means, send a message. And it's not like you're the only person who can improve. We all can get better, which will only help the team moving forward.

And dammit, I suppose if you want to make out, now would be as good a time as any, haha ;)

Yeah, I wish we could have gotten more playoff games in, but then everybody started having weird connection issues. Not sure what everyone's availability looks like the rest of the week.

Tonight is my wife's birthday, so I'm almost certainly out. I'm working tomorrow night and won't finish until 230 EST, if you guys feel like waiting for me. Otherwise, good luck!

I'll be able to play up until Saturday night, then I'll be in Orlando till Monday and I know the play offs end in 3 days.

[quote name='jza1218']Tonight is my wife's birthday, so I'm almost certainly out. I'm working tomorrow night and won't finish until 230 EST, if you guys feel like waiting for me. Otherwise, good luck![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind starting it at that time but not sure about every body else.

[quote name='jza1218']Tonight is my wife's birthday, so I'm almost certainly out. I'm working tomorrow night and won't finish until 230 EST, if you guys feel like waiting for me. Otherwise, good luck![/QUOTE]

[quote name='moojuice']Gotta work tonight, but I'll have the weekend off.

EA hates North Carolina[/QUOTE]

Hmm..sounds like aiming for late Friday night is our best bet then. Playing tonight would be a bit difficult for me as well. I got the "Hockey night again???" look from my wife last night. I countered with "But it's the playoffs!!!", but I don't think it worked. If I go 3 nights in a row, I might wake up dead, lol.

Also...

Electronic Arts does not care about North Carolina people.

*cue uncomfortable look from Mike Myers

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hmm..sounds like aiming for late Friday night is our best bet then. Playing tonight would be a bit difficult for me as well. I got the "Hockey night again???" look from my wife last night. I countered with "But it's the playoffs!!!", but I don't think it worked. If I go 3 nights in a row, I might wake up dead, lol.

Also...

Electronic Arts does not care about North Carolina people.

*cue uncomfortable look from Mike Myers[/QUOTE]

Mental note, do not try "But it's the playoffs!" on my wife.

Come on man, I really didn't come back here to fight. I havn't even played the game online since the night after I was done here. Dunno, maybe I've changed, maybe I havn't, but I've barely used my Xbox in the last few weeks. Real life stuff has been helping me quite a bit though.

[quote name='Magicking610']Come on man, I really didn't come back here to fight.[/QUOTE]

You asked a question. He answered.

I, for one, and glad you're back. This thread is a lot more interesting with you here.

[quote name='Magicking610']Come on man, I really didn't come back here to fight. I havn't even played the game online since the night after I was done here. Dunno, maybe I've changed, maybe I havn't, but I've barely used my Xbox in the last few weeks. Real life stuff has been helping me quite a bit though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Magicking610']Yeah, same feeling. Already moved on and have won 12 straight games.[/QUOTE]

You're a horrible liar.

I'm going to say it again. I havn't played the game online since the night AFTER I was done here. I played the day after you guys got rid of me, but not after that. Look, if I wanted to fight, I would just say it. If I wanted to come back here, I would just say it. I'm not saying it, am I?

Late Friday is going to be tough for me as I have to work at 8:30 AM on Sat. I will check tonight at work and see if I can switch shifts with someone who works later.

[quote name='Magicking610']Look, if I wanted to fight, I would just say it. If I wanted to come back here, I would just say it. I'm not saying it, am I?[/QUOTE]

GOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

I like turtles.
i-like-turtles.jpg

No go on the shift swap but as long as it isn't too much after 2:30 EST I should be able to play a handful of games and still be fine for Sat.

[quote name='DarkTower80']No go on the shift swap but as long as it isn't too much after 2:30 EST I should be able to play a handful of games and still be fine for Sat.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not like tomorrow isn't a regular Hockey Night anyways. So we can get some games going at the regular start time and just kinda play it by ear. Maybe we can even make the other team quit and get some quick playoff wins, haha.

[quote name='DarkTower80']No go on the shift swap but as long as it isn't too much after 2:30 EST I should be able to play a handful of games and still be fine for Sat.[/QUOTE]

Did you tell them it was the Play Offs?! :D

Not sure who will be available for 8 PM EST tonight, but just wanted to throw out there that everyone is welcome to show up for some regular games before we try to continue our playoff run. Regular games during the playoffs still count for your player stats, but don't count toward team record or anything. So, if anyone wants to get a jump on next season or keep their skills sharp, come out and play.

EDIT - Annnnnnd...heads up. Dash update. So, plan for that when you turn your system on.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Not sure who will be available for 8 PM EST tonight, but just wanted to throw out there that everyone is welcome to show up for some regular games before we try to continue our playoff run. Regular games during the playoffs still count for your player stats, but don't count toward team record or anything. So, if anyone wants to get a jump on next season or keep their skills sharp, come out and play.

EDIT - Annnnnnd...heads up. Dash update. So, plan for that when you turn your system on.[/QUOTE]

I was in the last level of super meat boy, just ready to beat it, and I got the update. Stupid ass updates. I'm thinking I might just TRY to wait till 2:30am and be sharp as a knfie and take a nap but I'm so tempted to play some more games to get my games to 90. 15 more and I hit my next card! yah!

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I was in the last level of super meat boy, just ready to beat it, and I got the update. Stupid ass updates. I'm thinking I might just TRY to wait till 2:30am and be sharp as a knfie and take a nap but I'm so tempted to play some more games to get my games to 90. 15 more and I hit my next card! yah![/QUOTE]

Well, whatever works for ya. Unless we have a team that takes 8 billion penalties like in our first playoff game, we could probably bang out 3 games in an hour (assuming we make it to the final round). So, we'd most likely be done by 3:30. But if you're tired now, then yeah, do whatever you need to do.

Well, the CheapyD All-Stars playoff run fell short this month. This time we managed to win 2 games and get half way to raising a banner. But we ran into a tough team in our 3rd game that skated fast and hit hard. The thought of being crushed must have been in the back of our skaters' minds because we had some trouble receiving passes and picking up loose pucks. We did also struggle with our passing, but I think we played decent.

Below is the final stat line from that game. You can see we didn't get dominated...but we weren't able to play our game either. Also, they seemed to mostly go for one-timers, though none of their goals resulted from one (though maybe there was a rebound goal off of one). Oh well, it's still progress...two games further than we made it last month. Two more games further and a banner will be ours. Just gotta keep improving.

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

good two games I played with you guys before playoff run. Sorry bout the second game and the goal on my side but I was playing in the zone and the guy basically cherry picked for an outlet pass and I didn't see him. Bummer.

They had to have there discipline up in the 99's. Seems like they just got away with more than a couple minutes. There is always next month. But man, what a ball buster. I was quite depressed after that game. lol

[quote name='Vulcan2422']They had to have there discipline up in the 99's. Seems like they just got away with more than a couple minutes. There is always next month. But man, what a ball buster. I was quite depressed after that game. lol[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm going to switch some things around for next month to try to make my guy less of a pushover on the ice. I don't know if there's really any benefit of being smaller and fast in this year's game (my guy is 6'1" 190lbs)...because I've seen some really big guys that seem like they catch up with me no problem.

Alan and I talked about swapping positions so I can work on getting my legend card earned so I'll have those extra points to play with too. I'm thinking about increasing my guy to maybe 6'4" 230lbs as a defenseman (or should I go even bigger?), and I might even keep him in that range when I go back to center, just to see if it would help me hold my own a little more on the ice.

Teams like that last one just get away with too much. It felt like we weren't getting any protection from the refs. Sure, we didn't play great, but it was one of those games where you feel like you can never get started. I don't know if anybody looked after the game was over, but all five "highlights" from the game were checking. In a game where three goals are scored, it's pretty ridiculous that the hits were more impressive. It seems like those kinds of teams are the ones that give us the most trouble.

I know once I hit Pro or superstar or what ever card is next, A LOT of my points are going to discipline. My slap shot is 99, acurracy a 85, strength a 95 and discipline is like at 86. I just don't know. I guess this just makes me want to be a better player honestly. I really want a banner. But when we face a pro team like that, it really drains ya.

Wow, EA is hating North Carolina again. I was in the middle of creating my new bad ass defenseman, and as I'm editing attributes, I get kicked out and told that my online statistics are not currently available. I check and yup, disconnected from EA servers. Of course, now it's saying they're unavailable. What the hell, EA?

Really looking forward to starting the November season. Once I was finally able to set up my defenseman last night, me, Alan, and Brandon played a few games. We didn't face top notch competition, but we pretty much dominated them, scoring at least 3 goals in every game and winning all 3 by 2 goals. Alan notched 12 points in 3 games, haha.

I was also able to raise my skater grade from a B to a B+ in those three games, so being a defensive d-man helps a lot with that. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone to get some time back there at some point if they're having trouble reaching their next card level. You just gotta play the position right, get some hits, and you shouldn't have anything lower than a B-. If EA would just leave the tuner set alone this month, I think we could do some serious damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back