Official PixelJunk Thread - 4/20: PixelJunk 4AM out May 15, Beta for PS+ Begins May 1

Played through the first four levels so far - been going back to try and 100% everything, but it's definitely a great game - glad to see another quality release, and no doubt there will be an expansion for this one too.

One trophy left to get, couple of stages I'm missing a treasure in.

Do wish it was longer too.
It ended just a bit too quickly for my liking.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
Was the ending suppose to mean anything? Was the dude attacking you? Also, I can't see them doing a sequel - maybe an addon pack.
[/QUOTE]
The drilling machine went crazy due to the magnetic fluid, so it attacked you, obviously. Then the monster one of the special miners warned you about swallows you up, Star Wars-style.

They're definitely doing an Encore pack since the ending leads right into it and the "to be continued" message shouldn't give you any doubt.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
The drilling machine went crazy due to the magnetic fluid, so it attacked you, obviously. Then the monster one of the special miners warned you about swallows you up, Star Wars-style.

They're definitely doing an Encore pack since the ending leads right into it and the "to be continued" message shouldn't give you any doubt.
[/QUOTE]
Yea, I typed that during the credits. Then I saw the ending video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went ahead and purchased the bundle for 19.99. I certainly wasnt expecting there to be tax. Oh well, I played the demos and I'm sure I'll be happy with my purchase.

Well…what a great GDC we had. We spent most of our time in Sony’s Blogger’s Lounge previewing PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap for the various press people who came around to visit. And I’m here to make it official and let everyone know that we will be releasing PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap on the PlayStation Network this Spring.

So, to recap for those who haven’t seen the various blogged reports on it, PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap is a bit of a fan service really – we went back to the original Racers and added Trophies, but we didn’t want to just stop there (just adding the bare minimum isn’t really what we do). So we added a whole new feature – ghost attack. What this does is record how you played whenever you register a new score on the high score tables, so anyone else in the world (including your friends of course) can play against you, trying to best your score.

On top of that we made the single-player tournament a little easier to complete, so you can open up the ghost attack and various party modes even more quickly (and of course gain those Trophies more easily too!).

Just to go on the record – this game *isn’t* really a racing game. It’s as much a racing game as, say, Rally-X was back in the day, really. It is a slot-car based arcade game with lots of fun, wacky modes and ideas in it, and as a result is excellent fun if you get a few people round. And if you can’t get a few people around, the ghost mode opens up a ton of competition with your friends on the ‘net.

Now that I’ve covered off on 2nd Lap, I’m also here to deliver more news to the PixelJunk fans out there. This Spring, we will also be making PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe available on UMD! So, for those of you who prefer to have a hard copy of one of your favorite games … you are in luck. The UMD version of PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe will be available at participating retail outlets begnning April 27 for $19.99.

For more information on the PixelJunk franchise, please check out our blog posts here and here. Continue to check back in with us for more information on 2nd Lap and everything PixelJunk here on the PS Blog!
It's good to see that PJMD's appearance on Gamefly was indeed correct about a UMD version of the game.

Bumping this up for the big PixelJunk sale that's going on this week and PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe's release on UMD with a price drop to $9.99 on PSN to match the UMD price.

It's pretty good for a party/mini-game collection kind of game with a good variety of modes, though it was a bit too hard and they really hit their stride on the three games that followed it to make Racers look decent at best by comparison. I'd say it's a ~6.5 before what 2nd Lap is supposed to fix and add, which could easily bump it up to a 7.5 or so if they are done well.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Bumping this up for the big PixelJunk sale that's going on this week and PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe's release on UMD with a price drop to $9.99 on PSN to match the UMD price.[/QUOTE]

I picked up Shooter finally because of the sale. I like it a lot... So far. I finished the first stage. Think there are two more. Not as tough for me as the other in the PJ series so perhaps that is why I am liking it more. At least at this point, haha. I know each stage is going to get tougher.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I picked up Shooter finally because of the sale. I like it a lot... So far. I finished the first stage. Think there are two more. Not as tough for me as the other in the PJ series so perhaps that is why I am liking it more. At least at this point, haha. I know each stage is going to get tougher.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't get to be all that hard, but I would've liked to have seen multiple difficulties to make replaying it more fun/challenging.

I dont really like Shooter and to see a sequel announced is a bit disappointing. But not nearly as disappointing as buying PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe and realizing IT IS THE EXACT SAME as PS3 version. Exact waves, exact levels exact strategy. What a crock of shit. All they did was add like 5 new levels on some island

It was really an impulse buy since I recently got all PJM trophies and was looking for more PJM. But it sucks since it was also in my group account, so I already had it I guess. Still no wonder its only ten bucks, as remote play is basically same thing. Maybe PJM2 will come out some day

Not really. They rebalanced all of the extra content (Encore and new islands) so the entire campaign plays like it was all made at the same time and online co-op through the game or the PS3.

I'm not talking about the first few levels. I'm talking about the way the extra islands are integrated into the campaign, as the encore island required you to re-earn the abilities you already unlocked on the main island on the PS3, so it's not as hard on the PSP. Those extra islands now feel more like they're a natural evolution from the main island in difficulty than extra levels that were added in much later.

Hoping they add some ship customization abilities (even if cosmetic) to Part 2/encore of PixelJunk shooter as find it kinda hard to get motivated to find all the gems throughout the levels. That and the ability to assign "spin" to a face button as it was so fucking annoying swishing the stick to execute that move.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/18/pixeljunk-shooter-2-in-full-production/

Shooter 2's been announced:
Well, I hope everyone has recovered from the PixelJunk sale bonanza we had last month – as far as I could tell people were buying up PixelJunk titles by the tenfold which is great!

For those that haven’t already heard, PixelJunk Shooter 2 is in full production, full steam ahead, anchors away and all that… commotion to that order. I can’t say much about it now, but it will have some features that are new to the PixelJunk series in general and will be bigger than the first game! We’re busy implementing all the ideas that were left on the drawing board for the first game to make Shooter 2 as jam-packed full of crazy fun as possible… I’m pretty sure we won’t make a Shooter 3 because everything and the kitchen sink (probably quite literally) is going into Shooter 2. Keep your eyes glued to the Blog (in-between playing PixelJunk games of course) for more info on this in the future!

And for those who still aren’t sure about the awesomeness PixelJunk Shooter really (no, really!) is, we’re going to release a free demo of one of my favourite levels in the game on May 25th. The level has explosive gas, magma, water, tons of cool enemies, volcanic eruptions and you can wreak all kinds of havoc with the fluid physics. This will push you over the edge to get the game!

[quote name='guardian_owl']Hoping they add some ship customization abilities (even if cosmetic) to Part 2/encore of PixelJunk shooter as find it kinda hard to get motivated to find all the gems throughout the levels. That and the ability to assign "spin" to a face button as it was so fucking annoying swishing the stick to execute that move.[/QUOTE]
When did you ever actually need to spin though?

The main reason to use it was to cool down your ship when you were around magma. Spinning was good to pull in those star coin things through obstacles without having to move around and it also reflected shots from enemies. It was easy to pull off though, as I'd do it all the time even when it wasn't necessary.

Looking through the new issue of OPM and it says the game will feature:

1. Online head to head battles over PSN with voice chat.

2. Ghost racing to beat friends and world rankings.

Racers 2nd Lap will have the ghost racing thing too.

Some nice details on PixelJunk Shooter 2:
Online Multiplayer Gameplay – The game features a competitive online multiplayer mode, with a distinct rule-set and many specifically designed battle arena stages.
Ghost Players
– PixelJunk™ Shooter 2 contains an advanced Score Attack mode over the original game. Player ‘ghosts’ can be stored online for each personal best performance and players can choose to challenge a ghost from the ranking table or from their friends list, and fight for the high score.
New Virtual Co-Op Play
– PixelJunk™ Shooter 2 introduces “Ghost Docks,” where a scripted ghost will be called upon to complete a path and certain tasks by itself. The player will need to utilize and work with the ghost in order to proceed.
Distinctive Visuals and Music
– Features several unique worlds with stylishly designed graphics and brand new music from High Frequency Bandwidth.
Fluid Dynamics and Effects
– The dynamic rendition of water, magma and other substances is the visual centerpiece in PixelJunk™ Shooter 2.
Stages as Puzzles
- Players attempt to change the terrain and environment around them to progress. It takes strategy, planning and addictive replay to succeed.
Online Rankings and YouTube Uploading
– Share your scores and game footage with the world
Rumble Support
– Feel the effects when the craft bumps into the cavern’s wall.
Remote Play
– Supports Remote Play for PSP® system.
Trophy Support
– PixelJunk™ Shooter 2 will fully support PlayStation Trophies
It's also supposed to be out this summer.

And a bit about PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap, which will also be out this summer:
TROPHIES – To reward players for their high-scoring laps, PixelJunk™ Racers 2nd Lap will offer 15 new trophies for players to chase!
GHOST RACER – Players can race against ghosts from their friends list, staff ghosts, or top scorers around the world, using data uploaded by players Score Attack or Ghost Racer modes. Players can compare their performance while racing the ghost of another player who has completed the same course.
UPGRADED SINGLE-PLAYER TOURNAMENT – Earning higher cups will now be easier as players can now earn the maximum cup of each tournament instead of the minimum cup.
UNLIMITED RACING ACTION – Over 15 core racing modes with varying degrees of difficulty for over 30 modes, including an in-depth single-player tournament and offline multiplayer modes.
FULL HD at 1080p – Speed through 10 richly detailed courses.
RUMBLE SUPPORT – DualShock vibration functionality has been added to all rounds for the full effect of the game.
GLOBAL ONLINE RANKING – Plan for your personal best in Score Attack and see how you compare against other racers around the world.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...d-lap-free-update-gets-early-access-tomorrow/

So… better late than never right? Yes, finally PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap is coming to PSN and we’ve had a lot of fun fiddling with the original Racers to bring it up to date with the other titles in the PixelJunk series. Instead of going back and just adding trophies we decided to go through and give it a difficulty overhaul — making the game far easier than it used to be (we used to make these games pretty tough back in the day eh). It is still a pleasant challenge of course but not the insurmountable cliff face it used to be.

Trailer: http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/1144/0

Let me be the first to say this, but PixelJunk Racers is *not* a racing game – it is more like a PixelJunk reaction-based party game based loosely on slot-car racing. There are all kinds of different rules to play with, for example in one rule all you do is hold the trigger down to “puff up” your car, release the trigger and your car flies along the track like a balloon, the goal is to get as far as you can without hitting anything. We support up to 7 controllers and it makes for a superb game to play with friends around. In another mode you can only keep your speed up by “eating” the other cars (by hitting them and destroying them). For anyone who enjoys fun rules with a bit of a driving motif, this should be right up your alley. It is one of our favourite games in the PixelJunk series — it’s a personal favourite of mine and the one that kickstarted it all off.

On top of this we added a new global scoreboard called Driver’s Points which add up as you play the online score attack modes. This should give everyone a nice long-lasting challenge, especially as to enhance this further we have added ghosts of the other players in the high score rankings that you can play against. You can only select ghosts from either your friends’ list or from the other players near you in the high score table so as you go up through the ranks you should be able to see some incredibly skilled play from some of the best players out there. It makes for a very addictive challenge.

Before I forget, 2nd Lap is totally FREE to existing owners of Racers, and you get to keep the original (difficult) Racers for posterity (it doesn’t overwrite it). PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to get this upgrade a whole two weeks before everyone else too, with also a 25% discount (those lucky folks!) Regular PSN users will soon catch up though, two weeks isn’t too long to wait I hope – it will be available on Aug 24th for just $6.99!

Whether you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber or not, if you’re an existing owner of Racers, be sure to get the FREE upgrade to 2nd Lap. All you have to do is click the FREE button on the 2nd lap product page, add to cart and install… that’s it! For those that are new to Racers, you will automatically be upgraded to 2nd lap at the time of purchase.

Anyway, it’s time for me to get back to work finishing up PixelJunk Shooter 2 (looking pretty cool btw!), I’ll be back in a little while to talk it up and perhaps even to discuss our latest collaboration with Baiyon of PixelJunk Eden fame, so see you soon!
Seems that 2nd Lap essentially replaces the original Racers and it's cool that they're not charging for the update nor increasing the price of Racers with its release.

PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap is out now. It doesn't quite replace the original game, so you have to start over in the Solo Tournament mode.

The new Ghost Attack mode is kind of cool, though it seems like it needs more people playing it to work well, as I'd beat a score and then be told to race against myself. I like the video capture option, as it offers to save each race for you to the hard drive or upload to Youtube depending on where you set as default in the options.

bread's done
Back