Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely understand. I was under the impression that it was a special cable from the processor box to the headset, but I guess it could be two hdmi cables together. From my experience, I tried using a longer usb cable but it wouldn’t work. I might have had the wrong type though.

There is the new model of psvr launching soon, with built in headphones and it allows hdr pass through. Maybe it will include longer wires as well.

The camera 6 foot extension, is on top of the included camera cable correct?
Yeah the extension would make it 12 feet total basically. I have been doing searches all morning and it just appears there is no other extension cable out. Apparently it has to do with a power issue in that the wires that get longer than 13 feet or so need to be powered, which is why daisy chaining the extension cables doesn't work. There are some hacks in there that people have apparently done to get it to work, but it included USB repeaters and USB hubs powered, but I never found real clear cut instructions, so I'm guessing I am just going to be out of luck as far as using it in my normal location.

I saw that a v2 is coming out with the features you are mentioning, but Sony hasn't said when it is coming out outside of Japan yet right? I was hoping that the BF deals starting this weekend at $100 off would be for the new versions but I would think we'd hear about it prior right? Is the Skyrim bundle supposed to be the new version?

So as someone with a psvr and a ps4pro, I’m going to be purchasing a 4K hdr tv soon. Any good solutions to the no hdr pass through issue? Would using a splitter help, or am I bound to just swap hdmis? I’ve only been using the vr a few times a month, so I guess I could just unplug it.
Get the new version.

I just saw on the PS Blog that the Skyrim bundle is indeed the V2 of the PSVR.  I wonder when the other bundles will get V2 because I really have no interest in Skyrim, however I want to get the V2 of PSVR.  I'd rather get the VR Worlds game with it instead of Skyrim but not sure when that bundle will get V2.

Question for people who own PSVR already - are over ear cones something you would consider "necessary" to get the full VR experience?  Or are the normal ear buds that come with it good enough?  And if you recommend some cones to cover your whole ear, what kinda money would I be looking at to get some decent ones?

I just saw on the PS Blog that the Skyrim bundle is indeed the V2 of the PSVR. I wonder when the other bundles will get V2 because I really have no interest in Skyrim, however I want to get the V2 of PSVR. I'd rather get the VR Worlds game with it instead of Skyrim but not sure when that bundle will get V2.
Vr world is 20retail. I would bet a lot of money you can easily sell skyrim on ebay for twice that, or trade it in at gamestop for twice what vr world would be.

Vr world is 20retail. I would bet a lot of money you can easily sell skyrim on ebay for twice that, or trade it in at gamestop for twice what vr world would be.
Haha yeah you just said what I was just checking out myself - looking at how much VR Worlds is and since Skyrim is new, could probably sell it easily. I wonder if it's a downloadable code or the physical game.

Anyone know if Amazon is an "official" seller of PSVR? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if I could order the Skyrim bundle for $450 now and get it Friday, then when the sale starts next week and it's $100 cheaper, they can just credit me the difference since they have that guarantee if they lower the price within 30 days of purchase, they will refund you the difference.

Haha yeah you just said what I was just checking out myself - looking at how much VR Worlds is and since Skyrim is new, could probably sell it easily. I wonder if it's a downloadable code or the physical game.

Anyone know if Amazon is an "official" seller of PSVR? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if I could order the Skyrim bundle for $450 now and get it Friday, then when the sale starts next week and it's $100 cheaper, they can just credit me the difference since they have that guarantee if they lower the price within 30 days of purchase, they will refund you the difference.
30 days price guarantee? At Amazon? I know they have lowest price guarantee on pre-order items, but that just means that it's the lowest price between your order date and the release date. Not 30 days after.

30 days price guarantee? At Amazon? I know they have lowest price guarantee on pre-order items, but that just means that it's the lowest price between your order date and the release date. Not 30 days after.
They got rid of that 30 days price guarantee years ago. It was there many years back and I did that a few times.

However, since their prices now fluctuate more than stock market, they can't keep pace with adjustment request if they still do it.

Oh damn okay I didn't realize they got rid of that ages ago.  It would be nice to have it all weekend to mess with instead of waiting until Sunday to order, which means I'll get it Tuesday or so.  I guess I could just buy it at a B&M store around the corner at BB or GS or something, but I just like Amazon's return policy in the off case I didn't enjoy it and did want to return it.

There's no word yet on which retailers will be selling PSVR bundles for $100 off on the 19th?  It looks like Target is doing it but it doesn't start until November 23rd when their BF ad starts.

Wait a minute, is it just me or the new headset forces you to use the ear plugs? I have been using my bose headset, better sound and more comfortable. What happens when you have the earbud in a bind taking it out of the closet and it severs the earbud cable? I was going to upgrade, but i want to be able to plug in my bose

Wait a minute, is it just me or the new headset forces you to use the ear plugs? I have been using my bose headset, better sound and more comfortable. What happens when you have the earbud in a bind taking it out of the closet and it severs the earbud cable? I was going to upgrade, but i want to be able to plug in my bose
I was under the impression that the buds are just built in differently and are inline. You can still hook up other headphones though I am assuming, because on the side of the Skyrim bundle box they are advertising some Sony brand cans to enhance the experience.

The new version just integrates the headphone jack into the headset so there's one less cable to manage. It doesn't force you to use earbuds.

Im wondering if those are actual photos of the new box, or photo of old box then they changd the front and back
There is an image floating around you can see the new version number on the side of the Skyrim bundle. So while it could still be old photos that were mocked up to look that way, there is some difference to it. But it's 100% confirmed the Skyrim bundles have the v2 PSVR headset because Sony said so themselves in their blog.

Watched through the archived Skyrim stream and i'm liking the control options they have
It's probably the most customizable game yet for PSVR. Kind of a shame that early demos were teleport only and everyone got so salty about it. As long as the graphics are reasonable I see the game have a pretty huge word of mouth as people spend the next few months talking about the coolest part of Skyrim in VR.

I didn’t watch the stream. Is it true you only fight one enemy at a time?
On the contrary, you can now fire at independent targets using spells and move controllers. That said, I'd wager the combat was nerfed to accommodate VR as it would be difficult to rebalance everything in VR so I would expect to not get as overwhelmed as you would in the 2D version.

On the contrary, you can now fire at independent targets using spells and move controllers. That said, I'd wager the combat was nerfed to accommodate VR as it would be difficult to rebalance everything in VR so I would expect to not get as overwhelmed as you would in the 2D version.

I’ll have to check it out then. I remember reports after e3 were pretty negative on it. And fighting one enemy at a time seemed to be a huge negative.

The new version just integrates the headphone jack into the headset so there's one less cable to manage. It doesn't force you to use earbuds.
But if you're using an over-the-ear headphone, which I'm using, you might still use a longer audio cable or you will have a hard time to put on or off the headset and the headphone. So, it doesn't make much difference to me other than the sound control is now on the headset, no need to trace the cable blindly

Do you guys who have PSVR recommend getting some over-ear cone headphones instead of the in ear buds that come with it?  Is the immersion factor that much better?  Are any of these Turtle Beach headsets that are on sale during BF any good?  I don't know anything about headphones and what is good or not.  What kind of $$ would I be looking to spend on a good set that would be worth it?

Do you guys who have PSVR recommend getting some over-ear cone headphones instead of the in ear buds that come with it? Is the immersion factor that much better? Are any of these Turtle Beach headsets that are on sale during BF any good? I don't know anything about headphones and what is good or not. What kind of $$ would I be looking to spend on a good set that would be worth it?
yes get over the ear. I bought some sentey surround sounds of of amazon for around $30. They work perfectly. Spend more if you want a better brand though.

Do you guys who have PSVR recommend getting some over-ear cone headphones instead of the in ear buds that come with it? Is the immersion factor that much better? Are any of these Turtle Beach headsets that are on sale during BF any good? I don't know anything about headphones and what is good or not. What kind of $$ would I be looking to spend on a good set that would be worth it?
I use these in-ear buds and they work really well for the $15 they cost:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038W0K2U/

I have the Turtle Beach Stealth 350VR headset, which is designed to fit over VR headgear. They have great sound quality and are comfortable. I believe they are worth the I paid $50 for them.

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Amplified-Monitoring-PlayStation-4/dp/B01GTL4YSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510680777&sr=8-1&keywords=turtle+beach+ps4+vr

I don't think it matters much for immersion factor, unless you're in a noisy environment and depends on if you like playing games or watching movies with a headphone and what kind of headphone already. While an over-ear cone headphones might be more comfy than earbud, it definitely add more weight to already hefty VR headset and cumbersome to put on and off.

I don't think it matters much for immersion factor, unless you're in a noisy environment and depends on if you like playing games or watching movies with a headphone and what kind of headphone already. While an over-ear cone headphones might be more comfy than earbud, it definitely add more weight to already hefty VR headset and cumbersome to put on and off.
Well I typically game in my home theater with a pretty high end sound system. But I realize I can't get that same experience with VR since it's just different and I won't be in the same location I am when doing normal gaming. It's also not really noisy where I am gaming. But I just thought maybe the over ear ones would kind of completely drown out any kind of ambient noises, even just making a better "seal" than the ear buds so that it just is more immersive. I'm not too concerned about it being too cumbersome though, I used over ear headphones when demo'ing it and didn't really notice them as something that was bothersome.

Those $60 Turtle Beach headphones that @chipzilla linked to have decent reviews as well. I wonder if those are any of the ones that are on sale during the BF sales going on. I'll have to check it out thanks.

Well I typically game in my home theater with a pretty high end sound system. But I realize I can't get that same experience with VR since it's just different and I won't be in the same location I am when doing normal gaming. It's also not really noisy where I am gaming. But I just thought maybe the over ear ones would kind of completely drown out any kind of ambient noises, even just making a better "seal" than the ear buds so that it just is more immersive. I'm not too concerned about it being too cumbersome though, I used over ear headphones when demo'ing it and didn't really notice them as something that was bothersome.

Those $60 Turtle Beach headphones that @chipzilla linked to have decent reviews as well. I wonder if those are any of the ones that are on sale during the BF sales going on. I'll have to check it out thanks.
Since you don't need a mic on the headphone, you can pretty much use any headphone as long as the headband can be adjusted wide enough. I use whatever I have for music on it (having another true 5.1 headphone for PC) I've tried Tracks HD, Skull Candy Aviator, ATH-50x, they all fit fine. The ATH-50x has a little issue because of it's long proprietary audio cable. I'm using the Sony PS3 Wireless Pulse, which I sometimes use for regular gaming, must be used wired for VR, can either turned on for vibration or use it without power.

My only headphones I use for anything are my Jaybird X2's that I pretty much just use at the gym or if I'm in an airplane.  I also have some wired ear buds that are just old but work too, so I don't really have any headphones for anything like gaming.  The ones I have are all stereo too.

My only headphones I use for anything are my Jaybird X2's that I pretty much just use at the gym or if I'm in an airplane. I also have some wired ear buds that are just old but work too, so I don't really have any headphones for anything like gaming. The ones I have are all stereo too.
Sound processor is in that black box to create virtual surround sound on 2 channels, so do not need any fancy headphone that do more processing or another layer of surround effect, unless you plan to use it for non-VR. Active noise canceling will do if in a noisy environment, but over-ear cone already is passive noise reduction by nature.

Yeah maybe I'll just see how the ones that come with PSVR are before making a decision.

I just wish the damn Skyrim bundle was $350 at launch instead of having to wait until next week.  I'd love to be able to have it this weekend but I can't justify spending an extra $100 just to have it a few days earlier.

I use a pair of over the ear skull candy headphones I got from a bestbuy dotd. I’m pretty sure you don’t need anything with surround sound because the processor box does that for you? Maybe I’m wrong. Any headphone or earbuds I’ve used worked great. The included ones aren’t bad either and the cord is smaller and less of a hassle.

Cool yeah I'll probably try out the default ones and just go from there.  I may get some of the Turtle Beach VR ones someone recommended and just see if I like them and return if not.  They had good reviews.

Looks like Amazon is included in the retailers selling for $100 off over the next week.

https://bestblackfriday.com/ads/amazon-black-friday/page-5#ad_view

I hope it goes live on the 19th and I can get the Skyrim bundle asap!  I setup an alert on camelcamelcamel for the bundle so hopefully it comes through.  It's the first time I've used one of those alerts.

No new deals or anything like that, but there's some new content for Carnival Games VR:

Carnival Games VR - Alley Adventure - $7.99

The description suggests it adds quite a bit to the main game:

Carnival Games VR: Alley Adventure delivers two all-new adventure themed alleys, six new games to test your skills at, and enhancements to existing games for increased replayability.

2 new adventure-themed alleys:

• Cosmic Corner
  • Jurassic Junction
6 new games:

• Dino Stacker: Stand on the head of a raised dinosaur-themed platform and drop a random selection of blocks to successfully build a tower as high as you can.
  • Gravity Match: Use sci-fi gravity guns to rapidly catch objects and fire them back at matching objects to score points.
  • Putting Green: Complete a series of miniature golf putting challenges.
  • Horseshoes: Toss the horseshoes around the stake and score as many points as possible.
  • Trick Shot: Show off your skills in a series of randomized billiard-style trick shots.
  • Lucky Cups: Toss as many ping pong balls as you can into a grid of colored cups before time runs out.
All 12 existing games from Carnival Games VR have been enhanced for increased replayability.

Yeah maybe I'll just see how the ones that come with PSVR are before making a decision.

I just wish the damn Skyrim bundle was $350 at launch instead of having to wait until next week. I'd love to be able to have it this weekend but I can't justify spending an extra $100 just to have it a few days earlier.
I saw the GT bundle at Target already, thought it will be available at the same time as the Skyrim. Didn't ask if it's available for sale though

Cool yeah I'll probably try out the default ones and just go from there. I may get some of the Turtle Beach VR ones someone recommended and just see if I like them and return if not. They had good reviews.

Looks like Amazon is included in the retailers selling for $100 off over the next week.

https://bestblackfriday.com/ads/amazon-black-friday/page-5#ad_view

I hope it goes live on the 19th and I can get the Skyrim bundle asap! I setup an alert on camelcamelcamel for the bundle so hopefully it comes through. It's the first time I've used one of those alerts.
Too bad amazon has CA tax, looking for an online retailer doesn't have CA tax.

I'm planning on trying to pick up the PSVR during Thanksgiving/Black Friday at Target. I see it's listed as a 'door-buster'. Does anyone know for sure if Target will offer their door-busters online, or are those in-store only?

It looks like all the other stores are only offering deals on bundles, unless there's something I don't know about(?), so I'm gonna do everything I can to get it from there.

I'm planning on trying to pick up the PSVR during Thanksgiving/Black Friday at Target. I see it's listed as a 'door-buster'. Does anyone know for sure if Target will offer their door-busters online, or are those in-store only?

It looks like all the other stores are only offering deals on bundles, unless there's something I don't know about(?), so I'm gonna do everything I can to get it from there.
Not sure if it's listed as "door-buster", the Mario 3DS was available online last year and gone in 60 seconds (though back in stock later)

No, you can fight multiple at a time, but it looks like you're not going to get mobbed by a large group like you can in the normal game.
I'm not so sure about that. At one point during the stream, the guy attacked someone in a non-hostile environment and everyone in the room ambushed him.

If I can get a VR for only 200 at Bestbuy, I think it would be better to just build a bundle off that.
I think the only reason to get a bundle is if you need or want the revised headset.
The GT bundle comes with original headset is not much a good buy

So it looks like I can get around 200 bucks for my headset and camera on ebay. Are there any confirmed deals on the 300

It is very fuzzy so it may make you nauseous. That said, it plays fine for $8.00
Thanks, I'll check out a couple of youtube videos but will likely pass as the next two months are VR heavy. Eurogamer is streaming Skyrim right now and the guy seems extremely impressed. Only the distant lod looks especially poor considering the PSVR performance hit. The streamer said he'd play it in VR first if given the chance.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-16-watch-ian-plays-the-first-four-hours-of-skyrim-vr

So are there any confirmed deals on version 2 of PSVR for Black Friday? Looks like I can get about 200 bucks for my headset and camera and while I wouldn't necessarily recommend for average CAGer I'd be willing to pay a hundred bucks to upgrade since my HDMI switch has a few terrible side effects when using it.

I think the only reason to get a bundle is if you need or want the revised headset.
The GT bundle comes with original headset is not much a good buy
Thanks. So I have to determine with the extra 60 for the Skyrim edition (if it is Version 2) is worth the deal.

Does PS4 regular have decent HDR or is that really only a Pro thing? I already have a HDR console, so I don't want the Pro. Does the Pro help much with the VR?

bread's done
Back