Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Metagame, Friendcodes, Battling & Trading!

[quote name='Nohbdy']Are you daft? Event Pokemon have unique things about them, from items (either a berry or something hard to get) or moves not learnable by usual means.[/quote]

So what? There are rarer Pokemon to be distributed. An Enigma berry won't change the fact I still won't have access to all the characters in the game, which can be used for battles and contests.

Call me crazy all you want but free Lickitungs that know the move "wish" doesn't exactly light my world on fire. The Darkrai we all got was excellent because it was a Darkrai, not because it knows two dragon moves that don't even take advantage of its strengths.

Is wrong for me to just want these people to prioritize?

Why is there so much more focus on Giratina in this game?
What about those other guys..sorry for the incorrect spelling..by Shaymin and Arceus? Aren't they the only ones we don't actually have..?

[quote name='lilboo']Why is there so much more focus on Giratina in this game?
What about those other guys..sorry for the incorrect spelling..by Shaymin and Arceus? Aren't they the only ones we don't actually have..?[/quote]

Because Giratina looks cooler, duh. Seriously- I have once seen pre-teens chosing to buy pokemon emerald over another game because Rayquaza looked cool.

[quote name='lilboo']I know I know. I think alot of people picked up Diamond over Pearl because of the colors...:lol:
Palkia > Dialga[/quote]

I don't know, I kind of prefer dialga over palkia because of his types.

But as for shaymin and arceus, we should be getting shaymin in the not-too-distant future, but as for arceus, he doesn't even "exist" in japan yet ;)

LOL I'm really dumb, I don't get the sarcasm. You mean like.. officially, right?

Anway, the game has been out for OVER a year now for us..and probably a lot longer in Japan. Why hasn't Arceus/Shaymin been released?

well japan is getting shaymin when the next movie comes out in about a month I believe.

I say arceus doesn't "exist" yet because he hasn't had an official release in japan and the only people that have him are through action replays/gamesharks. There is no legit arceus at this time.

Damn.
There's like, no reason as to why they both aren't out!

..Is Darkrai considered a legendary?
Besides basically getting him as a Mystery Gift, would there have been any other way to get him (Minus AR/GS)..If not, what does this consider him?

Like I never understood the differences between someone like Mew and Mewtwo. Mewtwo is a rare? Because anyone could get him..but you only have that one chance to. Same goes for Pokemon like Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres..right?
Where as Mew, is only obtainable as a mystery gift too (or through the old trade system lol)

Basically I'm just more confused with the terms of these different Pokemon.

[quote name='lilboo']I know I know. I think alot of people picked up Diamond over Pearl because of the colors...:lol:
Palkia > Dialga[/quote]
Word. :cool:

I can't wait for this game. I need my Pokemon fix.

[quote name='lilboo']Damn.
There's like, no reason as to why they both aren't out!

..Is Darkrai considered a legendary?
Besides basically getting him as a Mystery Gift, would there have been any other way to get him (Minus AR/GS)..If not, what does this consider him?

Like I never understood the differences between someone like Mew and Mewtwo. Mewtwo is a rare? Because anyone could get him..but you only have that one chance to. Same goes for Pokemon like Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres..right?
Where as Mew, is only obtainable as a mystery gift too (or through the old trade system lol)

Basically I'm just more confused with the terms of these different Pokemon.[/quote]

Legendaries are just that, they're more or less "legends"

A large majority of the time, they're too powerful to be allowed in competitive play or they're just too good. Mew is a great example because his base stats are all even at 100, meaning you could train him in anything and he'll almost dominate in that area.

All "legendaries" are only obtainable once, with the exception being phione. They can't be bred and there's only one of them in the game. Yes, ones like Mewtwo anyone can catch, but you only get one shot at getting him and to this day he's still too powerful.

So even these crazy ass event type Pokemon are considered legendaries, too?
If that's the case, there are WAY too many legendaries in the Pokeverse :lol:

[quote name='lilboo']So even these crazy ass event type Pokemon are considered legendaries, too?
If that's the case, there are WAY too many legendaries in the Pokeverse :lol:[/quote]

Depends on what event pokemon you're talking about.

event pikachu or electivire are not.

event regigigas yes.

I haven't played any of the Pokemon games, but my kids have played (but they are really too young for it - mostly they get their older nephews to play it for them, and then they just mess around.) I'm wondering what the difference is between Platinum and Diamond/Pearl. If you have Diamond, is there any reason to get Platinum? Is it a new adventure or would you just be playing the same game with some minor differences?

[quote name='lilboo']Why is there so much more focus on Giratina in this game?
What about those other guys..sorry for the incorrect spelling..by Shaymin and Arceus? Aren't they the only ones we don't actually have..?[/quote]

They wouldn't have unobtainable Pokemon be the cover art. That would just be dumb.

As for Arceus, I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets released, as it's crazy powerful being able to change its type.

[quote name='StinkyCheese']Because Giratina looks cooler, duh. Seriously- I have once seen pre-teens chosing to buy pokemon emerald over another game because Rayquaza looked cool.[/quote]

Ken Sugimori's art has that effect on people. It can make some of the most horribly conceived Pokemon look like something I'd want to catch. That said, love the boxart.

I'm convinced that's why the Mystery Dungeon games sold so well. Honestly if you pulled a kid over and explained to them what a rogue-like was, they'd probably give up on video games and want to play outside.

Thanks for the links Looks like there will be a figure pre-order gift like diamond and pearl in Japan I wish we'd get those as pre-order bonus items.. :drool:

[quote name='Rocko']They wouldn't have unobtainable Pokemon be the cover art. That would just be dumb.

As for Arceus, I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets released, as it's crazy powerful being able to change its type.[/QUOTE]

Its type? fuck, its base stats are through the roof!

[quote name='DQT']Ken Sugimori's art has that effect on people. It can make some of the most horribly conceived Pokemon look like something I'd want to catch. That said, love the boxart.

I'm convinced that's why the Mystery Dungeon games sold so well. Honestly if you pulled a kid over and explained to them what a rogue-like was, they'd probably give up on video games and want to play outside.[/quote]

I LOVE his work. BTW, I liked Mystery dungeon. I dont know what made me like it, but it was fun for me.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Still looks like the same game I played back in 98....[/quote]

If it aint broke dont ETC ETC

I like Hikari's new coat.

[quote name='SL4IN']In celebration of the 11th movie in japan, everyone attending gets a Regigigas. It's an even pokemon. I imagine they'll do the same over here so that we'll be able to obtain Regice, Regirock and Registeel in-game as well.[/quote]I'm not saying the Regi's wont be available in Platinum, but Japan has done movie give aways before and we didn't have the same. I think most of the legendary give aways were available through the Summer tours, NASA and other special locations, but not quite as readily available as going to see a movie.

[quote name='lilboo']So even these crazy ass event type Pokemon are considered legendaries, too?
If that's the case, there are WAY too many legendaries in the Pokeverse :lol:[/quote]I totally agree with you on that. I was happy to catch an episodeo of Diamond/Pearl where a girl was friends with a Suicune. Legendary, sure. But not quite *that* legendary. Legendary where just about everyone can have one kind of legend.

And wanna know just how cool Rayquaza is? When I caught my first one, I named him Raygun. In honor of Ronald Raygun. ;) Coming from me, that's pretty high praise. Next, to come up with a good Winny Churchill honorific.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Still looks like the same game I played back in 98....[/quote]

Blinders on much? lol.

Anyway, after seeing the sweet pre-order figure japan gets, makes me wonder if online pre-orders will get the same treatment? Pre-orders on online sites start July 19th.

[quote name='StinkyCheese']I LOVE his work. BTW, I liked Mystery dungeon. I dont know what made me like it, but it was fun for me.
[/quote]

I love his art too. It's simple but elegant. His character designs are excellent as well (although the recent group of gym leaders kinda boring). I really disliked the art style of the Gamecube games because he didn't work on them.

I'm necessarily trashing Mystery Dungeon, but it is from a pretty hardcore genre.

i would love to seem them make an actual "walk around 3d world" pokemon game. and not really for kids, a T rated one lol. With some killer graphics. Regardless the Pokemon series is great!

Hmmm...I've finished Pearl and caught most of the legendaries in the game, but would not be able to get Regigas et al without going back and finishing R/S/E, which I'd rather not do. If Platinum facilitates me being able to pick them up, that'd definitely be an incentive for me, though I don't know if I'm crazy about playing through the same story again.

Does it seem like the frequency of "event" pokemon here in the U.S. is increasing? Manaphy last fall, now Darkrai and Deoxys within weeks of one another. Hopefully we'll see more. It definitely helps keep me interested in the game. After I download a new legendary, I usually play for a few more hours catching or evolving some more expanded pokedex pokes. I don't have any interest in competing, but I do harbor the dream of someday completing my pokedex.

I was really turned off by the idea of a Regigigas giveaway before, but now that I think about it, it sort of is an event Pokemon. It doesn't bother me as much now because I realize I can relate to the people who don't have RSE. I didn't have Diamond until long after the Manaphy giveaway and will have to rent Pokemon Ranger eventually.

The cute thing about the Manaphy giveaway is that my wife and I were on an anniversary trip down to the Georgia coast when it took place. I was willing to forgo it, but my wife found out and said, "We're getting you that pokemon." Sure enough, there was a TRU in Savannah and we just stopped in there that Saturday morning and it didn't interrupt our trip at all. So now Manaphy always reminds me of that great trip. :)

I wanna pick this up
I can't delete my save file on pearl because of the legit shinies i have, but i want to replay the story.
I was gonna buy diamond, but I figured I would wait till the 3rd version came out

Awww! :applause:

That's, sadly, really cute!!!
It really is the most asinine things in life that make it all worth while :lol: :)

[quote name='SL4IN']Blinders on much? lol.

Anyway, after seeing the sweet pre-order figure japan gets, makes me wonder if online pre-orders will get the same treatment? Pre-orders on online sites start July 19th.[/quote]

Yesasia had the pokemon diamond and pearl figure preorder figures that's where I got mine I'm hoping they do the same with platinum that's the only reason I'll import it is for the figure and to get extra legendaries for my english platinum...

I forgot the prices on them the whole set for the two games, dialga figure, palkia and the starters was $200 something and I think just pearl/palkia or diamond/dialga was like $70 or so it's been awhile, but I'm hoping yesasia or some other site whille to the giratina figure.. :drool:

[quote name='lilboo']What's this new battle frontier? What am I missing? I'm confused, :lol:[/quote]

It's a more extensive Battle Frontier from Pokemon Emerald.

[quote name='lilboo']But what is it? I never played Emerald.[/quote]

It's more or less a very extensive battle tower like in Diamond and Pearl. In Emerald, there are 7 battle domes, each with their own level of experienced trainers. They act like gyms, where you can obtain the 7 battle frontier badges. All the battles are 1v1 and there are two different types: Lv 50 and open level. Lv 50 is pretty self explanatory, it's the same thing in the battle tower in Diamond and Pearl. Open battle is a little different, with all of the opponents pokemon being the same level as your highest. So, say for example you bring various pokemon ranging from level 58-64, but you have 1 pokemon in your team at level 88. All of your opponents pokemon will be level 88.

What SL4IN said. The Battle Frontier incorporated a lot of cool gimmicks to each of the facilities (gyms). One forced you to only use rental Pokemon. Another only allowed 3 turns in a battle. One them was a really tedious dungeon crawler. You would have to run through the facilities multiple times to be able to meet the leader. Each successive visit got progressively harder. If you lost on one the runs, you would have to start over.

The Frontier Brains weren't afraid to kick your ass either. That is if you were lucky (or skilled) enough to make it to them. Of course that made it so much more satisfying when you beat them. I've never been so enthralled in Pokemon battle until I battled them (I probably forgot to breathe during some battles).

Let me reiterate that I hate Nintendo sucking me in and Ken Sugimori for creating more artwork that just screams "BUY ME. DON'T EVEN TRY TO RESIST."

I recently rebought Pokemon Pearl, just wanting to play some Pokemon again, but since I had sunk 80 hours into the first one, I grew bored within a few days. I'm considering selling Diamond and buying Platinum when it comes out, but I wonder if it will be compatible with Pokemon Battle Revolution and Pokemon Ranch?

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm considering selling Diamond and buying Platinum when it comes out, but I wonder if it will be compatible with Pokemon Battle Revolution and Pokemon Ranch?[/quote]

Probably. You can look at last generation for precedent. Fire Red, Leaf Green, and Emerald all came out after both Colosseum and Pokemon Box and work together just fine.

ETA:
Nintendo is pretty forward-looking when it comes to their Pokemon games anyway. They program hooks into their current games in anticipation of stuff they'll release in the future. For example, Ruby/Sapphire for the GBA has the programming for all of the pokemon from RBY/GSC. At the time, there was no way to actually get Squirtle, Bulbasaur, et al., but when FR/LG came out, you could trade to R/S and they'd work just fine. There were also some moves that you couldn't get in R/S but were introduced in the later games like Volt Tackle or Hydro Cannon. These worked just fine in R/S too.

So what I'm saying is... I'm pretty sure that PBR and Pokemon Ranch already have the programming to support Platinum, and all the new stuff in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
With ranch they might do an update to it so it's compatible with platinum unless they already have the new forms in the game..

With battle revolution it should be fine I don't know if platinum has any new attacks in the game if not maybe both shaymin sky form and giratina's diminsional form will just appear as their other forms or something like that..

regardless of what new stuff nintendo introduces in platinum that wasn't in diamond/pearl/revolution/ranch, it'll be taken care of. nintendo always seems to do that with the pokemon franchise.

Looks like both playasia and yesasia just selling the game I was hoping for yesasia to offer the pre-order figure like they did with the diamond and pearl ah well..

I think I'll just wait unless I can find a place or ebay or something for it if not I rather spend the money towards something else.. =\

bread's done
Back