Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Metagame, Friendcodes, Battling & Trading!

Just got my 6th badge, at 13:32. Here is my team:

Infernape Level 40
Kadabra Level 34
Roselia Level 30
Staravia Level 33
Luxray Level 40

UPDATE!!!!! I used Staravia throughout the entire fighting gym and as of the leaders Lucario dishing out 1300 Exp, I now have a Staraptor. Sweet! I still need that Shiny Stone though!

Damn maybe I should stop running around the same patches of grass to see what Pokemon show up. :lol:

Eh, I guess there is no rush and I'm enjoying the game.

I'm trying see how fast I can get through the metagame, since I played through it month ago.

Filler, I might have an extra shiny stone if you want to trade tonight/tomorrow.

Wow... I feel behind. I'm JUST headed towards getting my 2nd badge and we've already got people near the end. Sheesh, and I thought I was doing decent!! But eh, I'm enjoying the play through. Been a while (Since I lost my diamond :( ) so it's a good refresher.

Unfortunately no.

Just remembered i gotta get my geodude to evolve too. Gotta trade graveler, haunter, kadabra and machoke so they all evolve. Ill Keep you posted. Thanks SL4IN.

[quote name='the_punisher']Where's the best place to buy this, either for the lowest price or best bonuses? Walmart seems to have a good thing....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10927445[/quote]

thanks for that man, looks like ill be buying from them (since i missed out on the preorder bonus every where else, i was gonna get it on launch but my ds is messed up). or is that just a preorder thing and not around anymore?

edit: nvm says theres none in stock within 100 miles. oh well. gonna get it used at gamestop next b2g1 or coupon off i guess.

Don't worry Jeremiah lol, I'm right along-side with you, I just beat my 2nd and headed to the 3rd now. Before this thread I thought I was making good time but now I've learned better heh.

im still not sure if i should get this game. i havent played a pokemon game since red and blue and reading some of those updates seeing there being over 400 pokemon is kinda daunting. and hearing about breeding and something about IV stuff about stats is kinda confusing.

[quote name='jeremiahkd']Dang how far have you guys gotten? im barely at my 2nd gym. :([/quote]
I have 7 badges, just beat the Galactic Warehouse and I'm on my way to the Spea Pillar, around 17.5 hours. If I could get the 8th badge by 20 hours that'd be great imo.

[quote name='thisjustanother']im still not sure if i should get this game. i havent played a pokemon game since red and blue and reading some of those updates seeing there being over 400 pokemon is kinda daunting. and hearing about breeding and something about IV stuff about stats is kinda confusing.[/quote]
I highly recommend picking it up, like you I haven't played a Pokemon game since the first games and I'm enjoying it immensely. I like it because I find it is easier than most RPGs in my opinion, I like the simplicity, and yet there is some underlying depth to the game, whether you want to get involved with that stuff is totally up to you.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']edit: nvm says theres none in stock within 100 miles. oh well. gonna get it used at gamestop next b2g1 or coupon off i guess.[/QUOTE]

Toys R Us currently has the game on their website with free shipping, and a $5 off coupon good today only -- Toystwitter25 (thanks go to CheapyD for the code).

[quote name='HuBu']can you still get the pokemon download from toys r us?[/quote]

Unfortunately not. The last one ended on the 21st, and they could only be downloaded to Diamond/Pearl. Though, we should see some downloads this year to support Platinum.

I'd say it's probably the Official Pokemon Platinum guide that just came out. IMO, it's the most comprehensive guide available for this generation.

Well, I'm trying to catch Giratina right now, and obviously it's a bitch. I have him paralyzed and down to a few HP (I know I could get it down a sliver more, but I don't want to risk it). I like paralyzing legendaries since it's permanent, unlike sleep and freeze. I know it'll be tough, though. In diamond, it took me 3 trips and over 200 ultra balls to catch him. Haven't gotten more than one shake yet.

I understand your frustration Ski Hawk. When I played through my Japanese copy, it took 4 tries to finally catch Giratina. It's such a bitch to catch.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Well, I'm trying to catch Giratina right now, and obviously it's a bitch. I have him paralyzed and down to a few HP (I know I could get it down a sliver more, but I don't want to risk it). I like paralyzing legendaries since it's permanent, unlike sleep and freeze. I know it'll be tough, though. In diamond, it took me 3 trips and over 200 ultra balls to catch him. Haven't gotten more than one shake yet.[/quote]

When I caught Palkia in Pearl, I finally ended up catching it with full health. I saved right before I started the battle and only had about 20 Ultra balls, so when I ran out I just had to restart. After about the 3rd or 4th restart, I just starting throwing ultra balls on a whim - caught it on about the second one thrown.

I think the game just operates on a percentage chance for the legendaries, regardless of how you have their health. Although I could be completely wrong, it's worth a shot.

I finally picked this up last night after one of the Walmarts around me was completely sold out. Next is that behemoth of a guide I am going to need.

I know the rate of catching is completely random, but the game even demonstrates that you should damage the Pokemon and get their health down before you attempt to catch them.

[quote name='SL4IN']Am I the only person in the world that absolutely hates double battles?[/quote]

Maybe. I just kinda dislike them.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Argh, he used struggle and killed himself. Trying again...[/QUOTE]

Use a Master Ball.

Then, trade for a copy of Emerald on Goozex. Exploit dupe glitch. ??? Profit!

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, just tell me when you need to do the trades.[/quote]

Right now would be good, if you're down.

edit: gotta hit a pkmn center, on iron island atm, lol

edit 2: k im at a center now. lemme know where you're on.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Use a Master Ball.

Then, trade for a copy of Emerald on Goozex. Exploit dupe glitch. ??? Profit![/quote]

Whats the Dupe glitch on emerald?

Something the devs overlooked in the game. :3c

To make it short, in the game's Battle Frontier (like Platinum's Battle Island), there's an NPC to chat with to have you enter one of the competitions. What you do is gather the Pokemon and items you want to duplicate and put them in your PC and save. Then talk to the NPC as if you were entering that competition. This is a unique action because it's the only place where the game saves TWICE: one to save your Pokemon team, and once more for a full game save. However, after the first save, when you are prompted to save your game, you back out. Reset the game and load up the save. Your team is still there. But they're also in your PC as well. You duped your Pokemon AND items.

It is a very valuable thing to have when you don't need to play through the game just to get a single Master Ball from the Team Aqua hideout. You can dupe restorative items, held items, battle items, TMs, berries...anything except Key Items. Friggin' awesome.

My Emerald cart is special because someone traded me an official Nintendo cart over Goozex. I'm NEVER going to let it out of my hands.

People have said that exploiting that glitch makes the save game less stable or something but I've yet to see anything.

Sorry will, I feel asleep!

I'll PM you right now if you are on, as I'm going to be heading out in a few minutes so I can't do the trades until later tonight. Sorry about that.

[quote name='yukine']Sorry will, I feel asleep!

I'll PM you right now if you are on, as I'm going to be heading out in a few minutes so I can't do the trades until later tonight. Sorry about that.[/quote]

No prob. I'm in the wifi club thing right now.

Just got my Platinum in the mail.
Now waiting for my DS Lite in the mail.
I just signed up for Club Nintendo.
Is it good?
How do I earn more points easy?

[quote name='adriley313']thx man
Hopefully when i get my DS Lite and Platinum this week a can trade and battle with you guys.

I see the guide for 12 bucks on Amazon Does this one contain a complete pokedex that has moves learned at what levels and where to find pokemon and all that stuff?[/quote]
The guide has a full pokedex and a walkthrough and everything. It's huge. Bigger than a lot of my college textbooks.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']The guide has a full pokedex and a walkthrough and everything. It's huge. Bigger than a lot of my college textbooks.[/quote]

That guide looks epic, and I'm looking forward to getting mine from Amazon eventually (ordered, but still hasn't shipped). This will be the first time I've bought a full priced guide (although $12 is a steal) since Pokemon Gold/Silver.

All the talk in this thread has me excited to play this game. I haven't played Diamond or Pearl, but I have both. I think I'll just do a blind run through of this game to get to the metagame. I haven't done a blind run through any of them since Red (and Fire Red, but that shouldn't count).

bread's done
Back