Official PS2 Guitar Hero Thread (Rock the 80s/Guitar Hero III) - GHIII Out Oct. 29th

You're grasping at straws. Somehow Iron Maiden isn't mainstream, yet "Rockaway Beach" is? Yet stil, your argument is that Rock Band features songs "much more" mainstream than Guitar Hero, then ignore that Ramones really have 1-2 "mainstream" songs (Blitzkreig Bop/Sedated)? That is, of course, if you want to continue to rest on the faulty, faulty, faulty assumption that, somehow, somewhere, Iron Maiden isn't mainstream music. What about The Strokes? Aren't they yesterday's news? Weren't they a one-hit wonder? Why isn't Rock Band using "Last Nite?"

I suppose the answer is that Rock Band is always using mainstream music, except when they aren't. ;)

C'mon already. Don't make me get SneakyPenguin in here with his "I know bands so obscure even the guys in the band never heard of 'em" list of non-mainstream rock.

Both games heavily rely on FM-radio music that is popular, not too off-the-cuff, and not, frankly, very dangerous. I like both tracklists so far, however, and I think it is absurd to look at one tracklist, weigh one list against the other, and somehow come to the conclusion that one list is factually and objectively more "mainstream" than the other? That's absurd.

Short answer: pick a band. If you can buy their albums in "Best Buy," they ain't obscure, puddin' pop.

I do wish Rock Band had the Kiss song, as that fits Rock Band so much more than Guitar Hero.

Both have great soundtrack so far and I look forward to trying to afford both.

My gf surprised me with Rock the 80's today when I got back from New Orleans. Overall it is fun, but I dont think it is worth the 50 dollar price tag, plus I am still just getting the hand of hard on GH2. I did really get into "Shakin" by Eddie Money. Also, wasn't Wrathchild from the late 70's?

This will be some fun with my buddies after a few brewskies and some bud ;)

i got all 5 stars on Medium. its definitely not worth 50bucks. i dont like the songs in the game and it isnt as fun as the old GH games. whats the hardest song to play in expert mode? im currently at Hard mode.

What a load of shit. I finally picked up GH 80's edition today, and god damn am I disappointed. The same stages, the same menus, minute character changes, LESS characters to choose from, and some lame lame lame songs. And how much are they charging for this?! 50 fucking bucks?! Luckily I got mine at BB, but this is bullshit, and I hope Activision's HQ blows up.

[quote name='trunks982']i got all 5 stars on Medium. its definitely not worth 50bucks. i dont like the songs in the game and it isnt as fun as the old GH games. whats the hardest song to play in expert mode? im currently at Hard mode.[/QUOTE]

The last song (by extreme, forgot the name) and Electric Eye by JP. None were really "hard", some took a few tries.. but not as bad as GH2.

This has needed to be added to this thread for some time. Lots of people deserve it, but I'm thinking of mostly mykevermin's posts over the last 6 months or so.

elitismli5.jpg

For the most recent discussions, change "bands" to songs."

I agree that $50 is a complete rip off for 30 songs but I had no idea that so many people care about the characters and venues. I only look at the notes when I play so I don't really care what anything else looks like.

[quote name='Backlash']This has needed to be added to this thread for some time. Lots of people deserve it, but I'm thinking of mostly mykevermin's posts over the last 6 months or so.[/QUOTE]

That's rather unfair. My most recent posts weren't about my desires to see GH or RB have the most obscure, unknown songs imaginable, but, rather, objecting to evanft's argument that either game is more "mainstream" than the other.

Frankly, I adore both tracklists thus far, so I don't see what you're getting at. I save my music elitism for other threads. Not this one.

I didn't mean to call you out, and I wasn't referring specifically to your posts in just this thread. It just seems like a lot of people grow their e-penises by decrying popular songs and trying to flaunt their knowledge of lesser-known songs and bands. You did this a lot when the GH2 list was coming out and you started name-dropping rockabilly and punk bands. Though I guess that was a lot more than 6 months ago. Man, time flies. Also, Sneaky is much worse about this than you are, as you mentioned.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's rather unfair. My most recent posts weren't about my desires to see GH or RB have the most obscure, unknown songs imaginable, but, rather, objecting to evanft's argument that either game is more "mainstream" than the other.[/QUOTE]

It was, in retrospect, kind of a dumb argument, but perhaps I should rephrased my point as "Rock Band is like Guitar Hero 1, while Guitar Hero 3 is like Guitar Hero 2."

[quote name='mykevermin']:lol: I'm too old to name-drop, mon ami. But if it makes you feel better to think that way, so be it.[/QUOTE]

Necrophagist

Ow! My foot!

Oh, and anyone else notice the discussion of the new HOPO system in GH3?
We're explainign it wrong then. Its not a "feature" in terms of somethign where turnign it on and off has any meaning as a term. Its because in previous games the HOPOs were assigned by an algorithm that only looked at how far apart the notes were (and if they were single, chord, or sustain), whereas in GH3 that step is missing and instead the property of a note being a HOPOable is coded by a human in the notechart itself (or somethign). So while the old system you sometimes had artifacts where notes were HOPOable for no real reason (look at all those songs with liek a chain of etc where the R and the first G back are both HOPOs when really it only makes sense for the R to be). So it really overall doesnt make it harder, but it does make it a lot more fun, as well as making it instantly feel a bit different than the previous games in a good way.

For every case where you might need to train yourself to watch for a note that if it was in GH2 it would have gotten assigned a HOPO incorrectly (which mostly i just noticed in the verse or chorus secitons of easier songs), theres another case where theres a note that wouldn't get assigned a HOPO in GH2 but can be in GH3 (roughly). For example in a fast solo, on some GH2 songs you have a short sustain in the middle of a solo that instantly means that you have to strum the next note afte to start up the HOPO chain. I saw at least a few cases where you could HOPO straight through small sustains in the middle of HOPO solos (making it a bit easier, and also meanign that you can see more sustains in solos because they dont affect the HOPOability of the stretch, where in GH2 if there is a short sustain in a solo they sometimes model it with just a non-hold note i think for difficulty reasons).

Sounds cool.

[quote name='evanft']It was, in retrospect, kind of a dumb argument, but perhaps I should rephrased my point as "Rock Band is like Guitar Hero 1, while Guitar Hero 3 is like Guitar Hero 2."[/QUOTE]

It was a pretty dumb argument, but that's never stopped me before.

I'll merely say that the songlist for all these games are appealing and impressive (save for 80's pricepoint, but that's only somewhat related to the songlist).

Although, apparently I was an elitist snob because I thought including "Demented Are Go" in GH2 would be neat. Y'know, because they're sooooooooooo underground that fuckin' "Hot Topic" carries their merch. :roll: :lol:

I have come to one conclusion b/w GH3 and Rock Band: the first to announce the inclusion of a Prince song will be the one I buy first.

[quote name='mykevermin']It was a pretty dumb argument, but that's never stopped me before.

I'll merely say that the songlist for all these games are appealing and impressive (save for 80's pricepoint, but that's only somewhat related to the songlist).

Although, apparently I was an elitist snob because I thought including "Demented Are Go" in GH2 would be neat. Y'know, because they're sooooooooooo underground that fuckin' "Hot Topic" carries their merch. :roll: :lol:

I have come to one conclusion b/w GH3 and Rock Band: the first to announce the inclusion of a Prince song will be the one I buy first.[/QUOTE]

Prince? You sir, are a fucking genius.

Personally, I'm waiting for a Dream Theater track. :bouncy:

[quote name='mykevermin']:lol: I'm too old to name-drop, mon ami. But if it makes you feel better to think that way, so be it.[/QUOTE]

Nah, really I just wanted to post that comic. And I also like to use the word "e-penises" :)

And, just to be a hypocrite, if there's any Prince I would love Pussy Control (obviously won't happen) or Kiss, since they're both sooooo fun to sing along to like an idiot. But we'd probably end up with 1999.

Oh, and here's a pretty good argument for Cum on Feel the Noize being in GH:80s instead of Metal Health.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxVE8vUS82M[/MEDIA]

After experiencing a fair bit of Rock the 80s, I've come to decision that I'm completely and utterly happy that I wasn't listening to any music back then. Everything sounds like the same guy singing the same song and all the guitar work was all pentatonic scale exercises. Like 99% of the songs I've played are a wash. It's just so, so bad.

[quote name='evanft']Oh, and here's a pretty good argument for Cum on Feel the Noize being in GH:80s instead of Metal Health.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm surprised they didn't get it. It's the more well-known, popular song, and I sure like it a lot better. Ah, well.

[quote name='Backlash']Actually, I'm surprised they didn't get it. It's the more well-known, popular song, and I sure like it a lot better. Ah, well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and look at the chart. I know it's a custom, but it looks much better than Metal Health.

[quote name='Backlash']Actually, I'm surprised they didn't get it. It's the more well-known, popular song, and I sure like it a lot better. Ah, well.[/QUOTE]

Lyrical content?

Metal Health was hella fun in the GHII demo, and taking out the solo really ruined it. I don't think there would be any problems with it if they left it as is. I still want to know what they were thinking.

[quote name='Zen Davis']After experiencing a fair bit of Rock the 80s, I've come to decision that I'm completely and utterly happy that I wasn't listening to any music back then. Everything sounds like the same guy singing the same song and all the guitar work was all pentatonic scale exercises. Like 99% of the songs I've played are a wash. It's just so, so bad.[/QUOTE]

If you don't like 80's music, why did you buy it? Seems pretty pointless to me. Don't compare this games music to all of the 80's.. it's not even close. If I were to chose which tracks to stay I'd probably keep 4 or 5.

I like Asia and all, but it's not exactly Guitar Hero material.

[quote name='mykevermin']Lyrical content?

Metal Health was hella fun in the GHII demo, and taking out the solo really ruined it. I don't think there would be any problems with it if they left it as is. I still want to know what they were thinking.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they took out the solo to make it easier to put it as a first tier song?

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']If you don't like 80's music, why did you buy it? Seems pretty pointless to me. Don't compare this games music to all of the 80's.. it's not even close. If I were to chose which tracks to stay I'd probably keep 4 or 5.

I like Asia and all, but it's not exactly Guitar Hero material.[/quote]

I wanted to give it a try. I'm not saying anything about the game itself. Just the fact that I'm happy I wasn't raised on any kind of cock rock.

[quote name='Backlash']Actually, I'm surprised they didn't get it. It's the more well-known, popular song, and I sure like it a lot better. Ah, well.[/quote]

I like metal health better

[quote name='Zen Davis']After experiencing a fair bit of Rock the 80s, I've come to decision that I'm completely and utterly happy that I wasn't listening to any music back then. Everything sounds like the same guy singing the same song and all the guitar work was all pentatonic scale exercises. Like 99% of the songs I've played are a wash. It's just so, so bad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I was growing up in the 80's, not only did I enjoy this shit rock music, but I also listened to crap from Beastie Boys, Metallica, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Run DMC, Anthrax, etc. Oh, woe is me and the people of my generation I guess.

I'm sure music sounding like it's sung by the same person hasn't occurred in the 90's...or now. It's inconceivable.

Played through another tier last night. I was a little disappointed by the Ratt cover, mostly because I really, really like Round and Round. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Billy Squier cover. And also I thought my hand was going to fall off after What I Like About You (on Hard) - those chord changes were giving me carpal tunnel.

crap.. ebgames took off the used ps2 guitar from the site and i was going to order it..

wheres the cheapest place to get a guitar that will work with gh1,2,and 80's?

Well, after a week of complaining, Best Buy has agreed to ship my game and giftcard to the right address. It should be leaving the warehouse today or tomorrow and I should have it later in the week. Now I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it though - people haven't been kind to it and there are probably only 10 songs on the list that I'm interested in playing... eh, I'll probably open it as soon as it arrives...

That "Through the Fire and Flames" vid is just Galiath's chart that's been up on ScoreHero for months.

From what I gathered through the impressions of the guys who went to Neversoft's studios, the real version done by ChrisVance is infinitely harder... as a result of being more accurate I guess? Galiath did a good job, but those guys were saying those intro notes were entirely HOPOs if I read it right. Insane.

[quote name='greydt']Yeah, when I was growing up in the 80's, not only did I enjoy this shit rock music, but I also listened to crap from Beastie Boys, Metallica, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Run DMC, Anthrax, etc. Oh, woe is me and the people of my generation I guess.

I'm sure music sounding like it's sung by the same person hasn't occurred in the 90's...or now. It's inconceivable.[/quote]

There are always trends, ala nu-metal, but it's nowhere near as prevalent as it was back then. Alot of musical acts have their own identities now compared to back then when everyone competed to have the most fluffed up hair.

And even with the artists you just listed, the majority of music was complete and utter shit. You can namedrop as many as you want, but the only ones I appreciate from your list are The Pixies and the Beasties.

The rest is throwaway.

[quote name='Zen Davis']There are always trends, ala nu-metal, but it's nowhere near as prevalent as it was back then. Alot of musical acts have their own identities now compared to back then when everyone competed to have the most fluffed up hair.

And even with the artists you just listed, the majority of music was complete and utter shit. You can namedrop as many as you want, but the only ones I appreciate from your list are The Pixies and the Beasties.

The rest is throwaway.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I just wanted you to shift from "everything" to "majority". I was amused by how absolute your initial posting was, but at least now it's not as grandiose as before ;)

I just wanted to say all this bitching about Encore is pretty unjust. Just about every song on it was a hit back in the day and they all sound great. The only "bad" sounding song is "I want to Rock" and thats just the first few words, it sounds better as the song moves on.

Also the stages may be the same as GH2 but they have new, really cool looking lighting effects to add alot of color and that over the top retro feel.

and Turning Japanese FTW

Im moderatly impressed with encore. I won the game and it's pretty good. I like the songs I just thing it should have more. Also the lack of bonus song was a massive let down

New songs:

AFI-Miss Murder
Black Sabbath-Paranoid
Blue Oyster Cult-Cities on Flame
Mountain-Mississippi Queen
Queens of the Stone Age-3's and 7's
The Strokes-Reptillia
Slayer-Raining Blood

Are the bold songs master recordings and non-bold covers?

Decent list. Raining Blood is an excellent choice, but I think they single handedly picked the worst AFI song for wanting to play guitar to (but also their most popular, I lament).

So basically three songs from Rock Band are now going to be in Guitar Hero III as well? I'm kinda curious how different they'll play from one another or the cover band they get. Though I hope anyother songs similar to Rock Band's track listing end there (well except Welcome to the Jungle).

Updated the OP with the new tracks.

I'm disappointed with GHIII now having tracks from Rock Band, as it kind of hurts the appeal of both games. If tracks are free to be taken from the other game, I'd love to see Rock and Roll All Night appear on Rock Band, where it's a much better fit for the game.

Dude, it's only 3 songs right now. And if you don't own a next-gen console, then it won't really matter cause you're not going to be able to play those 3 in Rock Band, anyway.

Oh, and before I forget: SSSSSSSSSSSSLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='evanft']Dude, it's only 3 songs right now. And if you don't own a next-gen console, then it won't really matter cause you're not going to be able to play those 3 in Rock Band, anyway.

Oh, and before I forget: SSSSSSSSSSSSLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
That's the whole point, it's a disappointment for someone like myself that's going to be getting both games because I want both to have unique tracklists. It's only good for the people that only has the means to get just one of the two.

I'm going to guess that's going to be the Freebird of Guitar Hero III since basically same flow, but since master track it better be the whole eight minute song in there AKA im expecting my forearms and wrist to get destroyed.

Actually, I'd think it would be harder than Freebird. Even though the beginning is kind of soft and quiet, it's not all just long chords - there's some nice guitar work up front. And then of course, the end part is just ridiculous. Can't wait!

Anyone play around with that big glitch yet? I used it to get past BiM on expert last night cause the solo was pissing me off.

[quote name='evanft']Anyone play around with that big glitch yet? I used it to get past BiM on expert last night cause the solo was pissing me off.[/QUOTE]

big glitch? Care to enlighten the uninformed?

[quote name='Warner1281']big glitch? Care to enlighten the uninformed?[/QUOTE]

Basically it allows you to clear a song by only playing a part of a song. I'll break it down for you:

1. Go into training and pick a song or portion of a song. I've only tried it with the intro of a song, so I'm not sure if any part will work, but give it a try.

2. Pick a speed. I'd suggest slowest, as this will make it easier.

3. Play the part of the song. I think you can just let it scroll, though.

4. At the very moment that the menu with the percentage would pop up, pull out the controller from the PS2. This has to be right on the dot so that the "You're rocking out too hard." thingie pops up instead of the menu.

5. Plug the controller back in. If you did it right, the fret board should continue scrolling after you've hit "resume".

6. Exit out of training and pick a song in career mode.

7. When you play the song, you only have to play the portion of song you played in training mode. The pitch will also change. There won't be a rock meter and I think you can't possibly fail the song.

8. After the song finishes, you'll get credited with beating it.

9. You won't be able to play another song, as it'll just play the part from training no matter what, but you can save and get the money/advancement.

Here's the original thread about on GameFAQs.

Here's a vid.

[quote name='evanft']Anyone play around with that big glitch yet? I used it to get past BiM on expert last night cause the solo was pissing me off.[/quote]'Splain.

bread's done
Back