Official Sony Press Release: PSP US Launch Info

[quote name='Doom Gaze']I'll be sure to pick it up in several years when it's in the bargain bin.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I love the DS, I love Nintendo (look at my sig and avatar!) and I'm personally going to have to wait to buy a PSP until after huge price drops, hardware redesign (i.e. the button and the game ejecting while playing) and after it has proven itself to be a viable competitor (I've seen nothing yet to make me want to buy it, even if I were independently wealthy). But with a sig like yours and in a thread like this, that comment just makes you look like a complete hoser. If you don't like something, stay out of a thread devoted to it (unless the purpose of the thread were to debate the product, I guess. :roll: )

shame on me b/ i like having the touch screen on madden ds. the graphics cld be a lot better b/ i bought it at the same time that i bought the vaunted mario in december and i have not opened mario yet. what am i waiting for? time to really sit and enjoy the game since so many of you speak so highly of it.

[quote name='ryanbph']I will be getting it at lunch, I got the ps2 at lunch and still use it.[/quote]

Way to keep with it! I'm sure you can make it until dinner as well!!!

jk. sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Sony says that want 1 million shipped by April 1st, whereas Gamestop and other gamestores have told me that their Sony rep was saying something like 200K at launch. Somebodys wrong.

I returned my deposit today at EB. I just can't swing $250 for the launch pack. Hopefully there will be other, less expensive options later on that i can get in on. The douche at my EB tried to dissuade me form returning the preorder by saying "you know, they're saying that if you don't get one at launch then you won't be able to get one for like, a year later." :roll:
BS! and even if he were right, that doesn't change the fact that I don't usually have $350 to drop on a portable and 2 games!

Sony says that want 1 million shipped by April 1st, whereas Gamestop and other gamestores have told me that their Sony rep was saying something like 200K at launch. Somebodys wrong.
Your Sony rep obviously had the regions confused. Sony is promising to ship 1 million units to N. America by the end of March; the 200K figure applied to the Japanese launch (to date, 800K have been shipped for the Japanese market)

$250! F*ck! What happened to $150? From what I hear the "extras" included in the value pack are shit, so I think I'll pass for now. I already got burnt with the NDS, it sucks.

And the DS still looks better then the PSP. The graphics are comparable, it has a better battery life, doesn't require memory cards, and costs $100 less, ... the deal breaker for some is the lack of games but E3 is just around the corner and I expect some really great games for it. Nintendo just didn't give developers enough time with it.
You'll need to provide screenshots of upcoming DS games that are comparable in quality to any PSP offering. Metroid Prime: Hunters is arguably the best looking game on the DS currently, but it still falls short of the lowest denominator on the PSP.

I never expected the PSP's battery life to be on par with the DS. I think the PSP's Lithium-ion battery is a bit under-powered at 1800mAh and my hope is that a larger capacity battery will be offered in the future (preferably 2200mAh+).

The PSP does not use memory cards; it uses the Memory Stick Duo (and one is included with the Value Pack for saving files). Those who wish to use larger capacity media (for MP3s or movies) can opt for these, but it's a matter of personal choice, i.e. no one is obligated to buy these. The included 32MB Memory Stick Duo offers more than enough storage space for saving games. It's not a proprietary storage format; companies such as SanDisk and Lexar already offer these in configurations up to 1GB.

I'm sure there will be solid offerings for the DS at E3, but the same can also be said of the PSP. If Nintendo didn't allot sufficient lead time to its third-party developers, isn't that Nintendo's fault? When it comes to game development, you can't have it good and fast.

The PSP will do well because of PS2's pop appeal and recognition. Most consumers will think the PSP is
1) A portable version of the PS2
2) a really cool looking device (one reason why the Ipod is doing so well)

You have to remember that the majority of people don't do research of this stuff before they buy. Most normal people have never heard of a DS, and they certainly aren't aware of the PSP's battery life problems or UMD ejecting.

You also can't directly compare the N-Gage to the PSP. The truth is that the Sony and Playstation brand will give the PSP instant credibility. Nokia is a well known brand, but they didn't do enough good marketing, the hardware was poorly designed and didn't look cool (yes, that really matters apparently).

Personally, I'll be waiting for the DS and PSP's redesign. The DS is too bulky and the dual screen is currently a gimmick. The first wave of PSP's will be unreliable. GBA wins for me.

Hardcore gamers with money will buy it, those who don't will wait. The end.

I was really rooting for Sony this time around but with this news, I am really let down. I am not a handheld gamer but I really wanted to see some competition in the handheld market. Out of all companies, I thought Sony could do it.

I might be wrong about this, but didn't MS do a similar thing with the XBOX. I remember one of my friends getting it on launch and he said he was forced to buy a game and a controller with it so it cost him $400. It might've been something they were only doing at Gamestop though.

Anyway, I don't see the PSP flopping at all. If Sony was able to sell the PS2 despite having one of the worst launches ever and inferior hardware to the upcoming systems (including nintendo), then they will be able to sell the PSP.

The main problem is that XBOX 2 is coming up and if MS manages to advertise it before the PSP launch, most casual gamers will probably think.."hmm for $50 more I could get a next-gen system".

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Targeting the teen audience and above for a handheld has failed many times over. The Turbo Duo had a similar price and for it's time it was as ahead of it's time as it could possibly be. It played every Turbo Graphx game released and could tune in television, and it failed. The NGage obviously targeted a more mature audience, and it was a huge failure. The Nomad targeted the Genesis audience, which was on average 4 years older then the audience for the SNES and Gameboy, and it failed. [/quote]

The SRP for the TurboExpress was $399. A price that put it completely beyond even consideration of much of the potential audience.

THe Turbo Duo was not a portable. It was a later version of the PC Engine/Turbo Grafx with the CD-ROM integrated instead of an add-on. It was released much later, when the TurboGrafx was already a lost cause in the US. Its initial SRP was a mere $299, driving home just how expensive the TurboExpress was.

The Nomad existed solely at the behest of TRU. Sega didn't invest any effort in engineering it to be a viable portable because they weren't interested in pursuing that market again at the time. For all means and purposes the Nomad was never a serious product with the backing of its own manufacturer. It was done to keep TRU happy and ready to buy when the time came to sell them on the upcoming 32-bit product.

I just saw the price a minute ago and I've decided to sit out on the PSP launch. I would rather put that $250 towards the Xbox 2.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']

But I'm sick of hearing how the PSP is 'not competing' with Nintendo. The primary reason to own a PSP is to play video games. If that's not an attempt to take over the handheld market then I don't know what is. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

As a video game machine, the PSP is heavily flawed by a battery that lasts only a third of that of the DS, and much much less then the SP. Forget about the DS. It's a stop gap for the next Gameboy. It's PSP vs. Gameboy Advance.

The Gameboy Advance has the largest user base of any platform in history. It plays, at this time, about 1000x the amount of games that the PSP does. The SP has a longer battery life and better GAMES. It's all about the games. PSP has some good launch games, but at a price that is three times greater then the SP is, which includes NO games, and requires additional money to be able to save more then a couple games worth of data. PSP games sell for $20 more then Gameboy games. The greater battery life means less time is spent charging and more time is spent playing GAMES.

Nintendo has the benefit of having the best first party development in the industry. Nintendo is for kids? Tell that to the adults that made the Castlevania games, Metroid games, Zelda games, and Mario games such a rousing sucsess. Nintendo makes games that anyone can enjoy for the Gameboy, without spending premium prices. The PSP's price point is greater then some 27 inch television sets.[/quote]

The Honda Accord and BMW Z3 are both sold in the same market for automobiles but would you consider them in competition? Having products in the same broad category does not mean there isn't a wide demographic gap between them. The fact remains that the GBA base was built on Pokemon selling to kids. Without the 12 and under demographic the GBA would have less than a quarter of its sales to date. It is unavoidable that many people abandon or greatly curtail video gaming as adulthood sets in. Some are just too busy. Some see it as part of an appearance of maturity. Some will only have contact with the stuff bought for their kids. This excludes the GBA if they might be seen with it in public.

The kid demographic is very dependable compared to adults. One very important part of this is keeping the price to within what a parent considers a reasonable expenditure for a child's toy. Especially one that demands further feeding with games. This is why Nintendo has adamantly always kept new models within a ceiling of $99 and under. (If you factor for inflation the GBA SP is amazing value compared to the first Game Boy.) This is also why the DS is not a GameBoy. Nintnedo is not producing a stopgap, it's testing the water for more expensive platforms within the handheld market. Even if the PSP didn't exist this would be worth pursuing, especially when you have the home team advantage of being able to build in compatibility to an existing strong platform. When the next GameBoy platform appears it will be $99. It will probably quickly outstrip the DS in installed base due to lower cost of entry and strong targeting of the 12 and under market but that won't affect whether the DS develops into a worthy business or not.

And no, at 65 million units the GBA is not the most common platform in the world. The PS1 is over 100 million and the PS2 is at 80+ million. Even if bring in all of the previous GB incarnations the PS1 combined with the PS2 is still tens of millions ahead in terms of the single most common game platform in current use and support.

At this juncture it is hardly fair to compare the volume and quality of the GameBoy's library to a new handheld that hasn't even been launched yet. It is getting silly, even at this early date, to suggest that the GBA has some slamdunk advantage. Among the many millions of affluent young adults Sony is hoping to reach there is a considerable percentage who'll simply not look at a product that lacks strong 3D capability. They don't care about the latest Zelda if it looks pretty much like the SNES Zelda they played as a child. In their mindset they've moved on. You can argue that they're denying themselves some wonderful experiences but it is always a losing bet to try dictating to a consumer what they should consider fun.

Sony doesn't need to take over the handheld market. THey just need to prove there is a large number of people with money to spend who don't feel they're being served by the current offerings.

You spout all these stats, how about some information somewhere that actualy backs it up?

I myself have never picked up a home system on launch. On the other hand almost all the portables that I have picked up I have gotten on launch. My Neo Geo Pocket Color still severs me well today as it did years ago. My Nintendo DS has made me a very happy person with renowned faith in Nintendo! And lastly, I plan to get a PSP due to the commitment of Q entertainment (the most creative team in gaming of our time) and the release of a MGS card game (a dream come true for me!).

Truth be told, I have gotten way more satisfaction out of all of my handhelds than any of my home consoles.

One thing to consider: Don't say crap about the US PSP until it is relased. Sure the JAP PSP has "Ninja Star" and Square Button problems, but don't think sony has not taken notice of this (at least the ninja star thingy seems to be fixed).

lastly, GTA is going to be what makes this system sell as well as movie playback. From what I see "light" or "non-hardcore" gamers would prefer an all-in-one over just a regular system (besides, alot of 'normal' people are weirded out by the DS, not including me).

I say wait it out, and see. I hate the price, but I am picking mine up for launch and will prob. sell my Spider Man 2 UMD on ebay :)

Shouldnt a Spiderman 2 UMD be utterly worthless, given that the first million people who have PSPs will have one, and only people with PSPs would be looking for one.

And Sony doesnt recongize the square button as being problem.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/24/news_6116985.html

"This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to. "

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Shouldnt a Spiderman 2 UMD be utterly worthless, given that the first million people who have PSPs will have one, and only people with PSPs would be looking for one.
[/quote]

true, but I really don't care for the movie (never really did) and I have no need for it. If I can make at least $5 off of it, I'm fine.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Shouldnt a Spiderman 2 UMD be utterly worthless, given that the first million people who have PSPs will have one, and only people with PSPs would be looking for one.

[/quote]

Just put rare in the title. THeres alot of suckers on eBay ;)

[quote name='maxflight']

The battery life isn't too big of an issue, if you charge it every night (assuming you play it quite a bit everyday) you should be ok. (but then again I never really played PSP TOO much)

the must have games will be all the must have games from ps2, so I don't think anyone has to worry about that unless they actually want portable-friendly games.

$150, not too sure about this since they're starting at $250 for value pack and maybe $200 whenever they have a regular.

$30 games will come eventually for sure, but definitely not for the must-haves.[/quote]

How is the battery life NOT an issue? People here say the battery will die after watching a single movie. I think that's pretty bad. I also read Wipeout Pure kills the battery in about three hours. I don't know about you, but I work forty hours a week and I play games a good six hours a day sometimes if I'm bored. If I want to play Metal Gear Acid hardcore, I won't be able to with such crappy battery life. If Sony works on this that will also make me happy.

Well even $150 for the DS was a bit of a stretch. I managed to get my discount and christmas money to pay for it. I wasn't really willing to pay more then $100 for it.

And lastly this is CAG, most people here aren't willing to shell $50 out for a game unless It's a serious must have. I'm hoping theres good sales on the games come three or four months after the system is launched.

I solely dissapointed in the PSP pricing.. $250 GAWD DAMN! adn $39-$49 for a game. when DS games are around $30

around $270 after taxes.

Sorry sony, but you won't be gettin my money this time.
I was expecting around $150-179 for a basic package. & $199-$215 for value.

And Sony thinks adding Spiderman 2 movie (which the whole damn world has already seen) is goin to help hide the $250 up marking.

I'm happy with my NINTENDO DS.

SO fuck Sony on this one.

I think the PSP will sell like crazy at $250. I'm not impressed with the launch titles though...I'll probably buy either Lumines or MGS Acid and that's it. I think the PSP game publishers are going to find out quickly that the $50 games aren't going to sell as well as the $40 ones. I think gamers as a whole are getting a little sick of $50 games.

I'm very torn... the PSP looks like an amazing gadget (and I'm a gadget FREAK), but I dont think I need it. I'll watch movies on my iBook when I travel, play videogames on my DS. I'm only considering the damn thing cause of Lumines. A puzzle AND music game... friggen awesome.

About the PSP's potential market... check out this thread. Summary, I don't think there is a mainstream market.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49297

It Washington State, where I'm from, the PSP will cost around $270 with tax, and $324 with a game after tax. For that price, I could buy five games for any other machine. Or a dozen $20 games. Or I can bid on 100 games off of ebay for one of the other machines I collect.

I think I'll wait until I can get it all for under $200 with a game after tax.

I would also like to point out to those that will accuse me of being a Nintendo cheerleader, I always hope that a machine by any company is sucsessful. I'm a gamer. I like a varity. I like to collect rare games. I like to play good games. The more, the merrier.

I have played the PSP. I think it's an OK piece of hardware. My eyes bugged out of my head when I saw Ridge Racer in motion. My god, the screen is so awesome. It's better then almost any portable DVD player I've seen. I thought the DS' top screen was good. The two are not even comparable.

But I know for a fact that (1) some PSP batteries are good, some are awful. The one I played was of the 'awful' varity. 3 hours for a game is pathetic. Yes, you can charge it so it doesn't cost you anything extra. But handhelds are all about convience and durability. PSP is neither. (2) The analog control is awful. It's not even Analog control. It's a glorified Intellivision controller.

All I have to say, is that with all these CAG deals on PS2, XB, and GC games, I've got well over thirty games just warming the benches- still shrink wrapped and all. And they are all non-sports. SOOO- EB here I come for my 10$/2 and PSP Pre-order, baby! To boot, I've got about another 10 not even played past the first three hours, and another lot that I've actually managed to beat. All in all, roughly 45 games. That's a crap-lot of credit to begin with, neglecting their core credit values as well. Really, EB is bracing the market for this, giving the CAGers (the Stockpile variety, such as myself) the opportunity to hop on the boat and get one of these for free. And, with their President's day B2G1 sale on PP, I plan on buying more cheapass games to double down on my profit. All in all, I can see myself spending 100$ out of pocket, and with their sales and trade-in promos to a seasoned CAG as myself, this is like getting money back!

-The_K

[quote name='Rihan']You spout all these stats, how about some information somewhere that actualy backs it up?[/quote]

Use the Google, Luke!

When it comes down to it.

Sony acknowledges the Square button as a flaw and has ZERO intention of fixing it.

Also stated one of the funniest things i've ever read in my life :
"Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that." "

Aparently a non working gate doesn't affect anyone. Not only do they know the problem exists, they don't intend to fix it. That right there is enough to steer me away from ever paying more than 2 bucks for that system.

Sure i'd like to see it and try it out, chances of me owning it? Zero

[quote name='marmilin']When it comes down to it.

Sony acknowledges the Square button as a flaw and has ZERO intention of fixing it.

"Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that." "

Aparently a non working gate doesn't affect anyone. Not only do they know the problem exists, they don't intend to fix it. That right there is enough to steer me away from ever paying more than 2 bucks for that system.

Sure i'd like to see it and try it out, chances of me owning it? Zero[/quote]

I try to imagine how Kutaragi would enjoy the use of an office building where doors opened upon brick walls or into thin air several stories up.

Lovely building but approach any door with caution and you'll be fine.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='marmilin']When it comes down to it.

Sure i'd like to see it and try it out, chances of me owning it? Zero[/quote]

I try to imagine how Kutaragi would enjoy the use of an office building where doors opened upon brick walls or into thin air several stories up.

Lovely building but approach any door with caution and you'll be fine.[/quote]

Exactly, he misses the point entirely. If I go and buy something great looking, and it doesn't work damn right its going back. Especially laying down 250 for a flawed electronic. Sadly I was hoping for PSP to do well, reading that shot down all hopes I had.

Sony isn't even trying to sell that system with statements like that. Functionality and misplacement are completely different in this case.

Let's assume some fairly obvious things:

*The PSP that launches on March 24th will be a solidly built product. Most will work and those that have problems will be in the numbers along the lines of the NDS' pixel problems.

*The "launch window" games will actually be released in a resonable amount of time from March 24th. March 24th you will probably be able to buy half of that, perhaps less than half.

*Sony will try, at least in the short term to push UMD media on us. You can bet that for at least a couple months UMD movies will be released (ala MiniDisc albums when they came out).

Given these things, I still don't see the PSP as being as successful as the PS2 (and by extension the GBA). Whose their market? Obviously older gamers. The materials used to build the device, the large screen, the media chosen. All these point to the market being much older than that of the GBA. Do older gamers have time away from home where they can whip out a device and devote their full attention to it? Step out of your gamer shoes for a second and think about Older Joe Gamer. Does Older Joe Gamer own a GBA:SP? No. Why? Because he games on his large television at home. Will Joe Gamer see the PSP's graphics and say... "Holy Crap... its a portable PS2". Probably. But will he whip out $250 bones to get the experience he's probably getting at home right now. The answer, IMHO, is no. The PSP is aimed at a market that doesn't exist and is priced high enough that it can't penetrate other markets. Unless Sony succeeds in making the UMD a viable portable video option (and those battery life statements don't put it much better than a laptop for playing DVD's) I don't think it has a market.

Is the PSP a bad device. No, actually quite the opposite. It looks to be an amazing device. A true multipurpose on the go entertainment solution, and I want it. Is it going to topple the Nintendo grasp on the handheld market? No. Because the nature of the handheld market in America is limited by age. Kids play the GBA (videogames at school) , and some business men play the GBA (for airline trips and such). The PSP might look attractive to the latter, but thats a pretty limited market.

Can you tell me where you saw that Sony guy talking about how it's wrong to be critical of the PSP because it's a masterpiece? I want so bad to be able to slam that, but I feel that nobody could have been dumb enough to say something like that.

If it's true, then it's one of the dumbest things ever said in the video game industry. That sort of cocky crap got Trip Hawkins boucned from EA.

Everytime a company has gotten that arrogant it's cost them.

"I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

:shock:

Wow. Just... wow. You can see Sony aims to please :roll:

OK, I am now opening rooting against the sucsess of the PSP. I'm sorry, a game company should strive for nothing short of perfection. If a company has such contempt for it's users that it doesn't even try to make a fully functioning piece of hardware, that company should not be supported.

I guess his current success is getting al little to his head..

Hmm this DS vs PSP comparison reminds me when the PS1 and the N64 were released near each other..too early to see where this war is gonna go..fun fun fun

I'll stick with my N-gage QD with 256 MB MMC, thank you very much. I can watch movies, play mp3s, play NES, Arcade, and GameBoy games, make phone calls, use it as a voice recorder, it has wireless multiplayer, online multiplayer, and a hell of a lot better battery life than the psp. The QD also only cost me $50, and the games are usually around $10 or less..

Between that and the DS, i'm all set. I just don't see who they're targeting with the PSP. It just doesn't have a market. Portable DVD players that play real dvds are down to around $150-200 now, mp3 players can be had for less than $100, and the DS is 100% games oriented, plus it plays the entire GBA library.. The only reason someone would want to buy a psp is for graphics, and to be an early adopter, on the cutting edge. But that's a pricey title to have at $250.. I think people are gonna look at the PSP and DS and see that $100 difference. Is there really $100 worth of difference there?

Something that I think a lot of people are missing in the DS vs. PSP is the kewlness factor. The PSP has a whole string of problems, but it without a doubt looks 20 times sleeker than the DS. In addition, the Sony name has a lot higher cooless cache than Nintendo - Nintendo still suffers very much from their 'kiddie' reputation. There's a good 10 million high-school students who would never DREAM of taking a Gameboy/DS to school for fear of looking stupid, but WILL take a PSP in and show it off. Add in another 5 million college students who feel the same way, plus a whole bunch of older people who will buy it as part of their 'I'm young, I'm cool' delusion...

I honestly believe that the DS is going to be the better game system, with far better games, but in terms of who's going to sell more units - its the PSP, all the way. Hands down, no contest. Nintendo has made a lot of positive steps to improve their hipness factor, but they're still far behind Sony.

I was pissed about the pricing, I still can't get over the the $250 + the taxes + 1 GAME $50. a Total of $320

I wanted the system @ Launch, but now I want the system to fail!

WHO feels the same way?

I remember back then, when the Sega Saturn was @ launch and had a set price of $399.99
I was waiting for this system over a yr. & so did many of my friends.
I felt cheated by Sega & price was way above anybodys head.
No one bought the system & everyone decided 2 wait til it drop in price.
Playstation lanuch came with a better lanuch price, I believe $299.99

Everyone got a playstation instead. and the saturn just kinda die out.

I believe a lanuch price will affect how people 1st react & judge a product. Sure the system sure look cool, I'll agree 2 dat. But looking back to when the GBA SP & GB DS Lanuch. both system are set at a fair resonable price. If there was 1 reason why I didn't get these system at lanuch it sure wasn't "It's too expensive".

This topic has be set on FIRE all over FORUM across the WWW. This is the main reason why I think the PSP will fail. I mean an average consumer walks in to a retail store, see DS and PSP . one is $100 cheaper and then has NINTENDO written all over! which has ruled the handheld market over the past decade.

Sony should know better! Specaily when entering a new market, They are diggin their own grave on this one.

Well I'll wait & pick this up @ TRU for $40 on clearence someday :lol:

For all that the PSP offers, it is a bargain. It is much more capable than an entry-level Sony Clie and is launching at a cheaper price. I love how everybody loved PSP at $200, but now that it's $250, everybody wants Sony to fail. You're playing in the wrong game if $50 makes that big of a deal to you.

Well... you enjoy your N-Gage... We will be playing PSP next month

;D

[quote name='jer7583']I'll stick with my N-gage QD with 256 MB MMC, thank you very much. I can watch movies, play mp3s, play NES, Arcade, and GameBoy games, make phone calls, use it as a voice recorder, it has wireless multiplayer, online multiplayer, and a hell of a lot better battery life than the psp. The QD also only cost me $50, and the games are usually around $10 or less..

Between that and the DS, i'm all set. I just don't see who they're targeting with the PSP. It just doesn't have a market. Portable DVD players that play real dvds are down to around $150-200 now, mp3 players can be had for less than $100, and the DS is 100% games oriented, plus it plays the entire GBA library.. The only reason someone would want to buy a psp is for graphics, and to be an early adopter, on the cutting edge. But that's a pricey title to have at $250.. I think people are gonna look at the PSP and DS and see that $100 difference. Is there really $100 worth of difference there?[/quote]

[quote name='peteyrose']For all that the PSP offers, it is a bargain. It is much more capable than an entry-level Sony Clie and is launching at a cheaper price. I love how everybody loved PSP at $200, but now that it's $250, everybody wants Sony to fail. You're playing in the wrong game if $50 makes that big of a deal to you.[/quote]

*Looks at URL*

Hrm, you sure about that?

[quote name='pumbaa']Do older gamers have time away from home where they can whip out a device and devote their full attention to it? Step out of your gamer shoes for a second and think about Older Joe Gamer. Does Older Joe Gamer own a GBA:SP? No. Why? Because he games on his large television at home. Will Joe Gamer see the PSP's graphics and say... "Holy Crap... its a portable PS2". Probably. But will he whip out $250 bones to get the experience he's probably getting at home right now. The answer, IMHO, is no. The PSP is aimed at a market that doesn't exist and is priced high enough that it can't penetrate other markets. Unless Sony succeeds in making the UMD a viable portable video option (and those battery life statements don't put it much better than a laptop for playing DVD's) I don't think it has a market.[/quote]

This is so way off I don't even know where to begin.

[quote name='peteyrose']For all that the PSP offers, it is a bargain. It is much more capable than an entry-level Sony Clie and is launching at a cheaper price. I love how everybody loved PSP at $200, but now that it's $250, everybody wants Sony to fail. You're playing in the wrong game if $50 makes that big of a deal to you.[/quote]

Your argument is that the PSP offers a lot at the $250 package. I agree that the PSP offers a lot, but not at $250 dollars. What are you getting for $250? A game machine. Nothing more, nothing less. Sure, the first 1 million people are getting a Spider-Man 2 UMD but I'd bet that over half of them already have it on DVD. You can't use it as any kind of mp3 player out of the box since you only have enough storage space for about 10 songs (max) encoded at 128bps.

So for it to function as a gaming machine, you need to first buy a game.

$250 + $40 = $290

For it to function as a true mp3 player, you need to purchase a MemoryStick Duo that can actually store a respectible amount of mp3s. I would say nothing less than a 512MB stick (and a Gig would be better).

$290 + $80 = $370

So add taxes to that and in some states, you are pushing $400 for the PSP to give you all it offers.

To me, that is insane. I could get an iPod Mini and a DS for that.

[quote name='soulwish2003']Well... you enjoy your N-Gage... We will be playing PSP next month

;D

[quote name='jer7583']I'll stick with my N-gage QD with 256 MB MMC, thank you very much. I can watch movies, play mp3s, play NES, Arcade, and GameBoy games, make phone calls, use it as a voice recorder, it has wireless multiplayer, online multiplayer, and a hell of a lot better battery life than the psp. The QD also only cost me $50, and the games are usually around $10 or less..

Between that and the DS, i'm all set. I just don't see who they're targeting with the PSP. It just doesn't have a market. Portable DVD players that play real dvds are down to around $150-200 now, mp3 players can be had for less than $100, and the DS is 100% games oriented, plus it plays the entire GBA library.. The only reason someone would want to buy a psp is for graphics, and to be an early adopter, on the cutting edge. But that's a pricey title to have at $250.. I think people are gonna look at the PSP and DS and see that $100 difference. Is there really $100 worth of difference there?[/quote][/quote]

I totally agree with jer7583. The N-Gage offers everything the PSP does with the exception of next-gen graphics, but at a fraction of the price.

I'll wait until the PSP or DS has a library and price point that satisfies me. Until then, I'll be happily gaming on my N-Gage.

[quote name='epobirs']

And no, at 65 million units the GBA is not the most common platform in the world. The PS1 is over 100 million and the PS2 is at 80+ million. Even if bring in all of the previous GB incarnations the PS1 combined with the PS2 is still tens of millions ahead in terms of the single most common game platform in current use and support.[/quote]

Really take a step back and think about this...

Nintendo is an A+ company. They back their product and do repairs. Most people have bought around 2 or 3 Playstations and 2 or 3 Playstation 2's. IT'S NO WONDER THEY SOLD A LOT OF CONSOLES!!! If Nintendo sold 2 of the GBA to everyone they would sell over 100 million consoles too.

I don't hate Sony...I own a PS2 but if you ask any gamer what is the worst console in terms of reliablity it would be the PS2.

Then the PSP

1. We know the battery sucks but don't worry we will fix it down the road. (Most likely at another cost)
2. We know we made a shitty button but we like it that way. (DEAL WITH IT!)
3. We want to charge you $$$ for things you don't need.
4. UMD games (fine) UMD Movies??? Pointless...reminds me of the minidisc.

It's all about the big $$$ for SONY and not the gamer. They want to sell you everything having to do with multimedia. Say what you want about Nintendo but they make a GAME CONSOLE and back their products. If there is a problem they fix it.

Oh and if your'e playing a PSP instead of a DS because it looks cooler you are not a gamer.

[quote name='jkam'][quote name='epobirs']

And no, at 65 million units the GBA is not the most common platform in the world. The PS1 is over 100 million and the PS2 is at 80+ million. Even if bring in all of the previous GB incarnations the PS1 combined with the PS2 is still tens of millions ahead in terms of the single most common game platform in current use and support.[/quote]

Nintendo is an A+ company. They back their product and do repairs. Most people have bought around 2 or 3 Playstations and 2 or 3 Playstation 2's. IT'S NO WONDER THEY SOLD A LOT OF CONSOLES!!! If Nintendo sold 2 of the GBA to everyone they would sell over 100 million consoles too.

I don't hate Sony...I own a PS2 but if you ask any gamer what is the worst console in terms of reliablity it would be the PS2.

Then the PSP

1. We know the battery sucks but don't worry we will fix it down the road. (Most likely at another cost)

It's all about the big $$$ for SONY and not the gamer. They want to sell you everything having to do with multimedia. Say what you want about Nintendo but they make a GAME CONSOLE and back there products. If there is a problem they fix it.[/quote]

Most people have bought 2 or 3 PS1's and 2 or 3 PS2's? Over generalize much?

[quote name='shipwreck'][quote name='jkam'][quote name='epobirs']

Then the PSP

It's all about the big $$$ for SONY and not the gamer. They want to sell you everything having to do with multimedia. Say what you want about Nintendo but they make a GAME CONSOLE and back there products. If there is a problem they fix it.[/quote]

Most people have bought 2 or 3 PS1's and 2 or 3 PS2's? Over generalize much?[/quote]

The facts don't lie. Go over to the PS2 General Discussion forum and people talk about how many systems they have had. Threads like "Convinced PS2's are made to break."

Sony didn't even address all the DRE problems until it became big enough of a problem and they couldn't hide from it any longer.

FACTS NOT BULLSHIT

The facts don't lie.

Those aren't exactly facts that support most people have had to buy 2 or 3 PS1's and 2 or 3 PS2's. It's much more likely that most haven't. I could just as easily get a large sampling of people who have only needed to buy one of each system. Using the broken PS2 theory for why there have been so many PS2's sold is ridiculous. It's contributed some to the number, but it's not as big of a factor as some people make it out to be.

[quote name='soulwish2003']Well... you enjoy your N-Gage... We will be playing PSP next month

;D
[/quote]

I know there's plenty of N-gage owners here on CAG who can tell you it's a very worthwhile handheld, if you want a cheap cell phone that does a lotta other stuff. $50 with a new plan and $20 for a 256 MB mmc gives it all the side fancy things as the PSP, for a fraction of the cost. The screen isn't as big, but the N-gage QD itself is probably smaller than the PSP screen. Besides, I'm having more fun with Ashen(which I really like, strangely enough) and Pathway to Glory then I would with any of the launch PSP titles. Don't even get me started on the great GBA games still coming out.. Minish Cap, Astro Boy, Guardian Heroes Advance, etc.. my ds is plenty busy.

Have fun paying $300 to play ridge racer, wipeout, and atv offroad fury again..

I just checked EB on their PSP package, since things have been announced and pretty much for the most part set in stone..

Here is how the pre-order looks

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/520683.asp

your package will vary between 399 and 549 depending on which games you select, and which accessories you choose...

i own a DS, i was considering a PSP also, until alot of the issues and weighing of the pros and cons, but if i do get a PSP in the future, it's going to be in the WAAAAY future. Too many negatives and problems for me to deal with.

bread's done
Back