Official Steamdeck thread

This is pretty much my dream device and I can't believe it exists. Maybe I'll finally play more than two hours of Control and won't restart for the 5th time...
I will buy one because I want to play my PC games on the go. Then, I will vow that it will never leave the house because of how much it costs and my irrational fear that it will get stolen or damaged. Then, it will collect dust because I won't use it enough. Then, I will re-discover it a year later and play it a bunch.

But I will still buy one.

This may be a dumb question, so I think when I got it through it mentioned Q1 2022. Is there a way to check this based on our order?

This may be a dumb question, so I think when I got it through it mentioned Q1 2022. Is there a way to check this based on our order?
Supposedly you just return back to the reservation page and it should show your reservation box under the one you reserved and then a date. I say supposedly because the page doesn’t show a date for my reservation, but it does show dates for the other two variants.

Supposedly you just return back to the reservation page and it should show your reservation box under the one you reserved and then a date. I say supposedly because the page doesn’t show a date for my reservation, but it does show dates for the other two variants.
yeah same here! It shows the date I did it and the ability to cancel as well as the dates for the other 2 models.

I just logged out and then logged in on mobile and now it shows an estimate of Q1 2022. Guess we’ll see how it plays out.

That's weird someone posted an email where Gabe Newell said that your able to upgrade the internal SSD storage yourself but the video said you can't.

Edit: Never mind he just said that there is a M2 SSD, he never said anything about upgrading.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's weird someone posted an email where Gabe Newell said that your able to upgrade the internal SSD storage yourself but the video said you can't.

Edit: Never mind he just said that there is a M2 SSD, he never said anything about upgrading.
All three models have an M.2 2230 slot. Yes, even the cheap one. They say it's not upgradable in the sense that there's no access door, but apparently if you dig in there and void the warranty you can upgrade it.

All three models have an M.2 2230 slot. Yes, even the cheap one. They say it's not upgradable in the sense that there's no access door, but apparently if you dig in there and void the warranty you can upgrade it.
I feel like if you have to void the warranty it's absolutely not worth it. The SSDs that the Steam deck use are expensive anyway so it's not cheap to upgrade

I feel like if you have to void the warranty it's absolutely not worth it. The SSDs that the Steam deck use are expensive anyway so it's not cheap to upgrade
It would absolutely worth it in terms of price. I don't think it's been disclosed exactly which drive the 256/512 versions will have. But I'd speculate that a comparable 1tb drive are the ones that can be found under $100 already.

It would absolutely worth it in terms of price. I don't think it's been disclosed exactly which drive the 256/512 versions will have. But I'd speculate that a comparable 1tb drive are the ones that can be found under $100 already.
It's confirmed to be a 2230. A 512gb goes for around $200. I personally don't think it's worth voiding the warranty for because we don't know if the Steam Deck will have any issues down the line. For example it could have drifting issues similar to joycons and in that case it's better to have the warranty. Only situation I can think of where it might be worth upgrading to someone is if they want to use a 1tb ssd but I'd imagine that would be expensive

It's confirmed to be a 2230. A 512gb goes for around $200. I personally don't think it's worth voiding the warranty for because we don't know if the Steam Deck will have any issues down the line. For example it could have drifting issues similar to joycons and in that case it's better to have the warranty. Only situation I can think of where it might be worth upgrading to someone is if they want to use a 1tb ssd but I'd imagine that would be expensive
Agree totally with you on that. If it does void the warranty, not worth it. Now with it being dockable, wonder if external drives will work instead of just relying on a sd as backup storage

I put 5 bucks down on the 64gb version. If it ends up being internally expandable I'll probably hack it some day but not until way down the road when things would be cheaper. I don't even have an SSD in my pc so loading speeds from an SD will probably be fine for me.

So I just got a response back from Valve support - they advised that steam wallet funds will be an option at time of full purchase. This is pretty good to know!

Good deal. What is the best discount we can get for this?
Thats a good question. I'm going to keep an eye out on Target who does the b1g1% off and Right Aid does a lot of digital currency bonuses that can be flipped for money off more.

I guess it also wouldn't hurt to flip some trades in at gamestop for steam cards :whistle2:k

Good deal. What is the best discount we can get for this?
I don't think I ever added money to my steam wallet before (always bought via paypal or credit card) but I'm looking at several different ways to shave the cost of that $649 mode (plus tax and the cost of the Dock).

Gamestop trade in schemes -

Follow the Gamestop thread on CAG to see if there are any flipping chances going on. You can use Gamestop credit to fund Steam Wallet.

Slide app - You get $5 off your first 4 orders, so you can get $40 Gamestop credit for $20 and buy Steam cards. Then use your referral link to get other people to do the same and get up to $100 in credit to buy more steam cards (My link is in the referral section of this site if you wanna use mine)

Raise.com

Sells discounted gift cards. Usually where I go to save a few buck off Xbox/PSN/e-shop codes but Steam code discount are extremely low in comparison. At the very least, you can get $10 off your first order when you spend $50.

Target

Sometimes runs buy 1 get 15% off for gift cards

5% off everyday if you have redcard. They sometime run a promo where you get a $40 voucher for signing up for the redcard.

Microsoft Rewards

Search and earn points, usually reeeaaaaaaaallly good for this type of thing ( I got a Series X and Xbox One X free because of it) but in this case.....it depends. You can cash out gift cards to Microsoft store, which doesn't sell Steam cards. You can cash out to Walmart or Target for gift cards......but you can't use those gift cards to buy other gift cards (in this case, funds for steam wallet). If you have an account made before 2019, you can cashout for Amazon gift cards and you CAN use these to buy funds for your steam wallet. Otherwise......you can trade/sell digital codes online to fund steam wallet or just use gift cards to buy physical games to trade into gamestop or ebay to fund your Steam Deck.

Steam Deck is only being sold by Valve I believe, if it were sold at Amazon or Walmart this would hands down be the best method for getting a Steam Deck for free or a drastically reduced price.

Cashback Credit Cards

If you have good credit, you can open up an account at a major credit card company and sign up for a card that gives a one time cash back bonus. Lots of these cards like Capitol One, American Express etc have a one time bonus payment of about $200 (or more) after you exceed $1000 in purchases for the first time. You live in the 21 century and have access to the internet, you can spend $1000 in a month or two (rent, bills, food, etc). Just pay off what you spent asap so there is no extra cost and pocket the rewards for Steam Funds.

Open a New Checking Account

Hit up something like Bank of America or any bank and see what offers they have available. You can usually find a one time bonus payment for depositing money into your new account. This is free money, highly recommend looking into something like this.

Survey sites

So for the most part, survey sites are tedious slogs that rob you of your precious time and just pay you pennies for it. There are only two I bother with and that is pinecone research and prolific AC. Both sites pay decently and have surveys that typically only take a few minutes to complete. You can get paypal/amazon gift cards and just use those to buy Steam Wallet codes.

There is also focus test groups from sites like userinterviews.com. You have to take a small pre screener to see if you qualify and you have to speak with someone via zoom for about an hour, but they compensate pretty well. Usually $100-$200 in amazon gift cards or Paypal.

Any other ways people know to get Steam codes, please share. I'm looking to pay as little as possible for this system!

I don't think I ever added money to my steam wallet before (always bought via paypal or credit card) but I'm looking at several different ways to shave the cost of that $649 mode (plus tax and the cost of the Dock).

Follow the Gamestop thread on CAG to see if there are any flipping chances going on. You can use Gamestop credit to fund Steam Wallet.

Slide app - You get $5 off your first 4 orders, so you can get $40 Gamestop credit for $20 and buy Steam cards. Then use your referral link to get other people to do the same and get up to $100 in credit to buy more steam cards (My link is in the referral section of this site if you wanna use mine)

Raise.com

Sells discounted gift cards. Usually where I go to save a few buck off Xbox/PSN/e-shop codes but Steam code discount are extremely low in comparison. At the very least, you can get $10 off your first order when you spend $50.

Target

5% off everyday if you have redcard. They sometime run a promo where you get a $40 voucher for signing up for the redcard.

Microsoft Rewards

Search and earn points, usually reeeaaaaaaaallly good for this type of thing ( I got a Series X and Xbox One X free because of it) but in this case.....it depends. You can cash out gift cards to Microsoft store, which doesn't sell Steam cards. You can cash out to Walmart or Target for gift cards......but you can't use those gift cards to buy other gift cards (in this case, funds for steam wallet). If you have an account made before 2019, you can cashout for Amazon gift cards and you CAN use these to buy funds for your steam wallet. Otherwise......you can trade/sell digital codes online to fund steam wallet or just use gift cards to buy physical games to trade into gamestop or ebay to fund your Steam Deck.

Steam Deck is only being sold by Valve I believe, if it were sold at Amazon or Walmart this would hands down be the best method for getting a Steam Deck for free or a drastically reduced price.

Cashback Credit Cards

If you have good credit, you can open up an account at a major credit card company and sign up for a card that gives a one time cash back bonus. Lots of these cards like Capitol One, American Express etc have a one time bonus payment of about $200 (or more) after you exceed $1000 in purchases for the first time. You live in the 21 century and have access to the internet, you can spend $1000 in a month or two (rent, bills, food, etc). Just pay off what you spent asap so there is no extra cost and pocket the rewards for Steam Funds.

Hit up something like Bank of America or any bank and see what offers they have available. You can usually find a one time bonus payment for depositing money into your new account. This is free money, highly recommend looking into something like this.

Survey sites

So for the most part, survey sites are tedious slogs that rob you of your precious time and just pay you pennies for it. There are only two I bother with and that is pinecone research and prolific AC. Both sites pay decently and have surveys that typically only take a few minutes to complete. You can get paypal/amazon gift cards and just use those to buy Steam Wallet codes.

There is also focus test groups from sites like userinterviews.com. You have to take a small pre screener to see if you qualify and you have to speak with someone via zoom for about an hour, but they compensate pretty well. Usually $100-$200 in amazon gift cards or Paypal.

Any other ways people know to get Steam codes, please share. I'm looking to pay as little as possible for this system!
Don't forget that places like Sam's Club and Costco sell them for some money off.

Reading through that I'm just gonna say....do not pay rent with a credit card lol. you also don't need good credit to get Cashback cards. Fair credit is fine, some may get lucky with bad credit with capital one.

Raise.com

Target

Microsoft Rewards

Cashback Credit Cards

Survey sites

Lots of good ways. Thanks!

Can this still only be done in-store? (As in I have to physically get out of my uber-deluxe gaming chair w/built in toilet, climb the stairs from my basement abode, and operate an automobile in some capacity or worse, walk!?!, to get to a B&M GameStop. Then...ugh talk to people, like face to face?)

Last time I checked Trade Credit doesn't work to purchase Steam Wallet online.

I’m extremely excited for this. I’m more of a console gamer but there’s a back log of older PC only games I’m dying to play. I plan on getting a monitor to jimmy rig this into a lite gaming rig.

According to the Steam Deck reddit, if your reservation page doesn't show an expected delivery date you're most likely in the first run shipping in December. My email invoice was 10:05am and mine shows no date.

I've already used my $5 monthly Gamestop coupon (FYI you can use this twice a month. Copy the EBC number of the voucher when they email it to you. Use the coupon in store and then use it by entering the EBC code online to double dip) so I can't check but make sure it's at least a $10 gift code.

Let's gooooo!
attachicon.gif
Screenshot_20210719-181923_Chrome.jpg
Your post made me go check mine, which had been blank for some time. Shows December now.

I pre-ordered the 399 model but I wanna change to the middle model. Has anyone tried this and not lost their preorder?
You will lose your preorder if you switch. I'm fairly certain they came out and said that with the initial announcement. Once you're locked in to a model, you're locked into a model.

Game Informer published a list of PC games that you can't play on the Steamdeck.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/07/19/here-are-the-list-of-games-you-cant-play-on-steam-deck
Some of those games use easy anti cheat which I've heard valve is working with to try to get working on the steam deck before it launches. Probably not a huge deal in the long term I'd be more worried about general game compatibility. I don't expect games to run perfectly compared to how they do on windows.. but you could always just install windows on it

bread's done
Back