OH SNAP! CAGFC IS BACK! EA UFC Xbox One League! Sign Up Now! Heavyweights! See OP For CAF Limits!

I downloaded the game last night and played for a few hours. So far I can tell that I'm going to have a hard time learning the controls and the ground game is much tougher than I remember in Undisputed. I was able to win pretty consistently on easy, but haven't won a match on normal yet. Maybe it is because I'm trying to force myself to refrain from brawling, or I just need to play more. Is it just me or are slips and parrys really tough to pull off? Hopefully it is bad timing on my part, but so far RT is the only blocking I can make happen.

In regards to how the game looks - those Onedrive clips must be compressed or something because, for the most part, the game looks pretty damn amazing. The intro's and presentation are solid, but the commentating is fairly lackluster (no surprise from EA here).

I'm also enjoying the training features, god knows I need them. Haven't made it into Career or Online yet!

Yeah...I think you just have to mentally reach a level of acceptance where you assess EA Sports games on their own scale. Like for instance, the numbered complaints I listed above mostly don't affect gameplay in any way....so they're not "game breaking"...just lazy programming on EA's part.

My complaints from last night ARE more of the game breaking variety...but they're based on online...and on people playing in a non-realistic "never seen a fight before" style. And that's just how people are in online gaming. It doesn't matter if what they're doing makes any sense at all...as long as they win. Obviously, I need to get better and learn more how to limit that as much as possible...but like most EA Sports game exploits, people will find them.

The game itself is serviceable though (specifically, offline...or friendly online). It has flaws, but it's enjoyable and you can tell they tried to make it a good game. It could have been a lot worse.

As for OneDrive's compression, I have no idea. The entire system seems incredibly clunky and not in any way seamless. From having to record the clip on the One, then having to save the clip, then going into upload studio, editing the clip (which most of the time, I just want in its entirety), uploading and saving it to OneDrive, then loading up the OneDrive site to make sure it's shared properly. Just way more effort than I'd like. Just give me an "upload to Youtube" option already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it is cumbersome. PS4 lets you upload straight to Facebook or Twitter in seconds. Even Mario Kart 8 on Wii U makes sharing 30 second highlight clips on YouTube easy.

All right, I think I'm starting to figure out this game a bit more. Specifically, becoming a more complete fighter, and learning how to deal with spam. It's still not perfect because in EA's infinite wisdom of never thinking "What if somebody plays the game wrong?", it seems like you can't power through a strike to get a takedown.

Which means...if your opponent just throws continuous body strikes (even kicks), you're either going to get hit shooting in...or you'll just glitch and neither fighter will connect with anything. I've tried this both with regular takedowns and power takedowns. One guy was doing the freaking Capoeira kick with Anthony Pettis over and over again, and I'd just keep missing my takedown no matter when I tried to do it.

When this happens, the best strategy I've been able to find is use the parry/quick step to get away...and see if you can screw up their rhythm...then hit the takedown. I did this to a guy, then blocked him from getting up for about 3 minutes...and I could hear him bitching through his Kinect calling me a "pussy". Yes...because those continous spinning body kicks with Bruce Lee aren't cheap at all...

Anyway, I've actually worked my way up to brown belt division and was one point short of winning the purple belt division championship. For the purposes of CAGFC (and really, just helping each other improve), I'm always in favor of sharing information and showing each other how to stop spammers and exploiters (not that that should happen in here anyway). But the game is way more enjoyable and way less frustrating once you start figuring out how to put these asshats in their place.

That's not a bad idea. I might be able to do some tomorrow night.

Also, I just noticed the "Highlight Reel" that you can view at the end of the fight can actually be saved and uploaded to EA's proprietary "UFC Spotlight" service (which, I would imagine is viewable through easportsworld.com like anything else). At least there's another option for sharing fight videos. I still haven't figured out how to get "Xbox Record That" to do more than the last 0:28 of the fight.

That's not a bad idea. I might be able to do some tomorrow night.

Also, I just noticed the "Highlight Reel" that you can view at the end of the fight can actually be saved and uploaded to EA's proprietary "UFC Spotlight" service (which, I would imagine is viewable through easportsworld.com like anything else). At least there's another option for sharing fight videos. I still haven't figured out how to get "Xbox Record That" to do more than the last 0:28 of the fight.
"Xbox, Go To Game DVR" or "Xbox, Snap Game DVR". Then follow the prompts and you can record up to 5 minutes. There's no way to change the default "Record That" time though to anything more than 30 seconds . . .

Speaking of which:

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251651-smartglass/suggestions/6084413-shortcuts-for-commands-features - my feature request to fix that on Smartglass :D

"Xbox, Go To Game DVR" or "Xbox, Snap Game DVR". Then follow the prompts and you can record up to 5 minutes. There's no way to change the default "Record That" time though to anything more than 30 seconds . . .

Speaking of which:

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251651-smartglass/suggestions/6084413-shortcuts-for-commands-features - my feature request to fix that on Smartglass :D
Ah, ok. Thanks. That's good to know. Not sure that'll solve my issue though since I probably don't want to just be recording everything. Usually, I'm like "Oh, WTF was that???" and then yell at my Kinect to record it for me, haha. Lot of "after the fact" stuff.

Like the time earlier tonight when my fighter was eating some ground and pound (naturally, block wasn't working)...and the ref called for a stand up. My fighter got up...started to move toward the center of the cage, and then just fell over KO'd. I tried to record it as fast as I could...but it didn't come out right (possibly because the game got paused). But be on the lookout for that one, lol.

Ah, ok. Thanks. That's good to know. Not sure that'll solve my issue though since I probably don't want to just be recording everything. Usually, I'm like "Oh, WTF was that???" and then yell at my Kinect to record it for me, haha. Lot of "after the fact" stuff.

Like the time earlier tonight when my fighter was eating some ground and pound (naturally, block wasn't working)...and the ref called for a stand up. My fighter got up...started to move toward the center of the cage, and then just fell over KO'd. I tried to record it as fast as I could...but it didn't come out right (possibly because the game got paused). But be on the lookout for that one, lol.
HA! That's awesome. One solution is to broadcast on Twitch with past broadcasts archived, then check your archive and make highlights from there. The quality isn't as good, but it does the trick for multiplayer games like Titanfall where you can't pause in the middle of a match to record.

This is what online ranked looks like

IMAG03021_zpsfcdfb88c.jpg

Soooo satisfying to put these "quantity over quality" fools in their place. :)

I think I accidentally figured out cage grapple defense. Anderson Silva got me in the Muay Thai clinch against the cage and started throwing knees. I discovered that I was able to parry those strikes by holding RT and pressing the correct button, same as with standing strikes. The parry would then open up an opportunity for me to transition, go for the takedown, or attempt to break the clinch. Hope that helps.

I'm having a hard time defending against takedowns. Been playing career and maxed out my takedown defense, but no matter what I do, or when in the fight it is, my dude goes down like a cheap whore. Definitely a fun game, but I can't get anything done once it goes to the ground game.

The ground game takes A LOT of practice. 

For defending takedowns, as soon as your opponent shoots in, press down on the right stick (not click...but move it down). I haven't done anything with career yet...but online, there are some fighters that I've had a hell of a time stopping them from taking me down (Cain Velasquez being the biggest example). I think this is by design though since some guys are ridiculous wrestlers.

Once on the ground though, I'm pretty sure there are certain positions that can only be escaped with major transitions. Major transitions are performed by holding LB and doing quarter circle turns with the right stick. This is also how you can sweep your opponent and end up in a top position.

You also need to plan when you're going to go for the transition. If your opponent has you mounted and is wailing away trying to knock you out, resist the temptation to freak out on the right stick. Hold RT and just block for a bit until he slows down and gives you an opening. If you think you're taking too much damage and NEED to go for it, then that's up to you. But the important thing is keeping your cool and seeing what's happening.

Same thing goes for the muay thai clinch against the cage. It is VERY difficult to get out of...and it makes you want to just keep frantically trying transitions. From everything I've seen, this will just get you KO'd quicker. Again, you want to hold RT and just let your opponent gas himself. Once that happens, usually you can break the hold by clicking the left stick. I'm still not even 100% sure if this is all you have to do to get out of it (you might need to transition to a slightly better position before clicking the left stick will work), but at the very least, you need to let them wear themselves out.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

I think I accidentally figured out cage grapple defense. Anderson Silva got me in the Muay Thai clinch against the cage and started throwing knees. I discovered that I was able to parry those strikes by holding RT and pressing the correct button, same as with standing strikes. The parry would then open up an opportunity for me to transition, go for the takedown, or attempt to break the clinch. Hope that helps.
Oh, wow. This is good to know too. I didn't realize parry would work against the cage.

I played till I got those two achievements, cause like you said, it started to get even worse. Ground and Pound with no blocking. Non Stop pausing. I think Brown? Whatever the first belt is.

Belts/Divisons go White > Blue > Purple > Brown > Black

I had a decently successful run with it yesterday. I think my record is 39-33 now...and I think was like 27-27 when I started yesterday. This type of game just fits my gaming time really well. Very easy to pick up and play (once you learn what you're doing of course). I'll do a couple fights here and there, play for a bit while my daughter is napping, etc. Not taking very long and not having any story that I need to remember is intoxicating, haha.

My 70+ fights feels like a lot (and it does feel like I've been playing the game a lot), so I can't even imagine the dude that had 250+ fights done when we saw on Thursday. He's probably well over 1,000 by now. The biggest thing with online is just negating whatever your opponent is trying to do. If he's just throwing a million strikes, take him down and either try to submit him, or just win on points. You just gotta time your takedown very well for the guys who just relentlessly throw...because they'll catch you coming in most of the time. If he's a takedown/submission spammer, you can try to stay away from him...but most likely that won't work. You might be better off using his own strategy against him.

One of my last fights last night was against some idiot using Cain Velasquez, who just shot takedowns the entire time. Cain's takedowns are almost impossible to stop. He was getting slams even when I was ready for them. Then, as soon as he had me down, he'd go for a kimura. When I escaped it, he immediately went for another one. This went on for the majority of the round. So, in the 2nd round, I came out and did the same thing to him....took him down and spammed submissions (I had Werdum). 3rd round...I did the same thing.

And I ended up winning the decision, lol. It was incredibly stupid and boring, but when you're playing against some moron who doesn't care anything about playing the game...and just wants to rack up wins to get his name on a leaderboard, you almost have to turn their bullshit around on them. Either that or just pause and quit out (which I almost did...until I decided to show him how much of a retard he was being).

White Belt. Some reason, I'm probably only going to play this once we get the league going. I can't stand the filth of online players in this game. Somehow, you can rock a person 4 times a round, but if they get more slams, they win by decision. Had that happen to me Sunday afternoon. Makes no sense to me. It is what it is with EA online I suppose.

White Belt. Some reason, I'm probably only going to play this once we get the league going. I can't stand the filth of online players in this game. Somehow, you can rock a person 4 times a round, but if they get more slams, they win by decision. Had that happen to me Sunday afternoon. Makes no sense to me. It is what it is with EA online I suppose.
It's like most online games, it's going to take a decent amount of practice to be good enough that you can beat people who are trying to exploit the game. In general, that's the worst thing about online ranked gaming. You could be legitimately better than somebody...but since they're trying to win at all cost and don't care if that means playing the game wrong, you have to be probably twice as good as they are just to eke out a win.

In several of my fights, I've been seeing a pattern of my opponent throwing twice as many strikes as me, but me landing more. If I just stood there and traded punches with them, I'd get smashed. Just have to be smart about it and do everything you can to ruin their gameplan.

One of the most satisfying things in the game is taking Chris Weidman and beating the shit out of all posers who pick Jon Jones. :)

It really blows my mind how the games come out and you would think the company had never made an online game before. In addition to the stuff that can be spammed since stamina doesn't have near the effect it should, somebody posted that there is indeed a pause glitch that people will use to get out of submissions.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN_kqVBbpLo[/youtube]

On top of that, apparently, you can just quit out of the match and you won't get a loss...and your opponent won't get a win.

Seriously...2014...next gen consoles...and we still have developers who can't think "Well, what if somebody quits?" This stuff makes me really nervous for Madden and NHL because so far, this is same old, same old. Yes, the graphics are prettier, but if the programming doesn't get any smarter, it means we've hit the ceiling in terms of gameplay. Really hoping things get better.

It's just like one of the first things you should think of when you're considering putting competitive online multiplayer in your game. "What if somebody gets mad and quits?" "What??? Who would ever do that??? That's ridiculous!" It just boggles the mind.

On a positive note, the community for this game doesn't seem to be completely terrible. I've messaged a few guys who obviously knew what they were doing after beating me, asking them how they were so good at a particular aspect of the game (sweeps/reversals, parrying, etc.) and they actually told me how to get better at it. I completely expected "I banged ur mom!" responses.

They also told me that parrying is the best way to deal with people spamming strikes. In addition to letting them wear themselves out this way, the parry counters tend to be ridiculous and can get them in a rocked/knocked down state very quickly. In case anyone hasn't explored the game well enough to learn about parrying (funny that it's in the controls list, but not in the tutorial) you hold RT and press X/Y to block high or A/B to block low.

Slipping strikes also gives a pretty solid counter (double tap left stick in any direction). Once you start putting all these skills together...parrying, slipping, sweeps, submissions, and of course the most obvious...striking, the game definitely starts to take shape a little better and you start to feel a little more well-rounded. I had some really close fights earlier tonight when both of us were utilizing these skills.

I started getting into the challenges last night. Even though the achievement merely requires you to finish them, I've been trying to get a black belt from each before moving on. I think I went through 12-13 of them and I already learned a lot. There's even a section on cage striking. Lots of shit that isn't in the manual or tutorial.

From my understanding, there's a counter for early quits.  I think I remember EA saying that they will ban for it in this game.

So, you may not get a win . . . but the douchenozzle is likely to get banned if they keep it up.  So there's that at least.

fuck this Cage Strike challenge! I have easily been able to earn a black belt on every other challenge, usually on my first try. But I don't know what I'm doing here. I execute the commands as instructed, but only 2-3 times total (in 4-5 attempts at the challenge) was I able to get off a cage strike, much less land one. Blocked every time. What am I missing?

Yeah...that's what I'm trying to work out now. There was still plenty of work that needed to be done before actually "starting" anyway. I had totally forgotten, the last Undisputed game, we didn't even have to worry about stat caps because the game allowed for equalized stats, which was nice. But with this game, we're going to have to consider all of that stuff again.

So, I just ran through the game, looking at all the best and worst fighters to see where the line in creating a "realistic UFC fighter" is. And here's what I've got:

Cain Velasquez and Jon Jones are the highest rated fighters in the game at 97 OVR each.

When you look at their attributes, Velasquez's points total up to 2,087 and Jones's total up to 2,070.

You would think "Ok, well let's just have that be the limit." But I guess EA decided to scale the attributes according to weight class...even though it's not like you'd ever have Demetrious Johnson fighting Cain Velasquez anyway. So, despite Johnson being a 96 OVR (only one point lower), his attributes total up to 1938 points. Even though we can't create female fighters, out of curiosity, I even looked at Ronda Rousey's (who is also a 96 OVR) attribute total...which is 1944. So, basically, the more you weigh, the more points you get to play with.

Knowing that, it makes me think we should have a cap for each weight class individually...especially if we're going to use the logic that nobody in CAGFC needs to be creating a fighter better than the best in that division.

I even went as far to make sure there weren't any weird instances where a really well balanced fighter with a lower overall didn't have a higher point total than the champion/best guy in that division. The only times this happened were really, really razor thin margins. Aldo > Pettis (LW), GSP > Hendricks, A. Silva > Weidman

Here's the actual breakdown and my proposed CAGFC CAF Cap (I basically just rounded down to the nearest 5):

Flyweight: Johnson - 1,938 | CAGFC CAF Cap - 1,935

Bantamweight: Barao - 1,967 | Faber - 1,926 | CAGFC CAF Cap - 1,965

Featherweight: Aldo - 1,978 | Mendes - 1,931 | CAGFC CAF Cap - 1,975

Lightweight: Pettis - 1,967 | Aldo - 1,971 | CAGFC CAF Cap - 1,970 (really have no idea why the points went down for LW...somebody can double check my math if they want)

Welterweight: Hendricks - 1,979 | GSP - 1,993 | CAGFC CAF Cap - 1,990 (again, GSP's total is surprisingly high...feel free to double check)

Middleweight: Weidman - 1,984 | A. Silva - 1,988 | Souza - 1,971 (checked because he has 100 sub) | CAGFC CAF Cap - 1,985

Light Heavyweight: Jones - 2.070 | CAGFC CAF Cap - 2.070

Heavyweight: Velasquez - 2,087 | CAGFC CAF Cap - 2,085

The other stipulation of course is min and max stats per attribute. There are fighters who do have 100's in different attributes...so that's not completely crazy. But nobody had any attribute under a 50 (Frank Mir...blocking and punching speed...poor Frank Mir, lol). So, that would be the range you'd have to use your points in as well.

Thoughts?

But yeah, other than ironing out those details, we can start getting guys signed up. Not sure if we want to start with one weight class as we've done in the past...or just kind of let people sign up where they want.

Just thinking it through, I know we have Gail Pennyfeather as the reigning Heavyweight champion...and I know Gary has a HW made. And I wouldn't really mind starting with a HW because those KO's have been absolutely hilarious. Might not be a bad place to start and then let people branch out from there. I'd definitely like to have a 125 or 135'er eventually too.

Sounds good to me. I foolishly underestimated EA's use of nonsensical "logic" when determining things. Thanks for taking the time to go through all the stats in order to come up with that.

Hope people are ready to get this going. I haven't seen any objections/suggestions for the points caps, so I'll solidify those and put them in the OP as soon as I get home (7/11).

Online ranked was starting to drive me nuts before I left. I was back down to a blue belt because people would just throw quantity over quality and end up winning. How EA thinks the guy blocking punches should get tired before the guy throwing punches, I'll never know.

Really need to play this game with people who play like they've actually seen an MMA fight before.

All right, let's get this ball rolling. I had no idea who to create as a fighter (hate that the options are so limited). So, in watching Austin Powers last night, I got inspired.

Fighter Name: Dr. Evil (I didn't go to six years of Evil Medical School to be called Mr)

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 255lbs

Hometown: Brussels, Belgium

dr-evil.jpg

Great choice! That also gives you an obvious choice of second fighter if we do lightweight or lower. And Dr. Evil could be his corner man. "SCOTTY DON'T!"

I hope people are still wanting to do this. In finishing setting up my fighter's attributes, I noticed the numbers seemed off (shocking, EA). Even though Cain Velasquez attributes total up to 2,087 giving him an overall rating of 97, I was able to obtain a 98 OVR using just 2,060 points. And because of the natural limits that Heavyweight has (ie. punch speed, stamina, etc. have a max of 65), it just started feeling like everything was maxed out.

So, I tried setting up my guy using 2,000 points...and he came out to an 95 OVR..and there was at least a little bit of strategy with deciding which attributes you wanted to leave lower. Here's how it breaks down.

There are 24 attributes. 8 of them are maxed at 65. Assuming you max all of them out, 8 x 65 = 520. 2,000 points - 520 = 1,480. 1,480 points / 16 remaining categories allows for an average of 92.5. So, you're still able to make a pretty great fighter. I'm not sure if that 8.5 points from max is enough to really consider anything a "weakness"...but I guess if you're boosting some attributes up 8.5 points to max them out, other areas would naturally suffer.

Anybody have any thoughts? I hope there's still enough interest in this so it's not just Dr. Evil and Gail Pennyfeather rolling around over and over again, lol. This is the only XB1 game I have, haha. I know it's lacking in a lot of areas, but I'm trying not to have buyer's remorse here.

I'm mostly interested. I mean, assuming we're not doing a daily event, I'm down ;)
It definitely wouldn't be more than weekly. For anybody who is interested, please post your fighter info and we can get things moving.

For reference (and I'll add this to the OP as well), we're going to start with Heavyweight CAFs made in the regular "Create Fighter" menu (ie. not career CAFs).

There are no limits on moves (at least at this time), but for attribute points, you cannot use more than 2,000...with no single attribute being lower than 50.

Use the following format when signing up:

XBL Gamertag:

Fighter Name:

Height:

Weight:

If you want to include Hometown or any Bio info for your fighter, that's totally up to you. The more people have fun with this, the more enjoyable it will be for everyone.

I just never made a fighter for various reasons. Barely played the game while you were gone, haha. I'm definitely still in.

Have you not been getting the Games with Gold? Also, Killer Instinct base version and Project Spark's beta are available.

So were not using real fighters? But we have to beat the whole career mode to get our ratings higher for our cafs? I barely touched  the career mode, all i do is play online matches.

I just never made a fighter for various reasons. Barely played the game while you were gone, haha. I'm definitely still in.

Have you not been getting the Games with Gold? Also, Killer Instinct base version and Project Spark's beta are available.
I have. Just didn't download anything because I went way over my bandwidth last month. Then, with being gone for a week and a half, I'm just now getting back into the swing of things. And the XB1 Games with Gold aren't really anything I'd go out of my way to play (though with so few games overall, I don't expect them to be giving away great stuff either). Not to mention all those games are on Steam too.

So far, I'm not really blown away by the XB1. I had to turn off the standby (aka "Xbox On") feature because I noticed it starts lagging the dashboard really bad after a couple days. I couldn't figure out what was happening. I was trying to type messages to people, and I was seriously typing faster than the dashboard could keep up, so it kept skipping letters or not putting a space where I wanted one (I mean, I type pretty fast...but with a controller? lol). It was really starting to piss me off.

I Googled the issue and found out it's related to standby and the super convenient feature that devices use now of "managing" your apps for you, so nothing actually gets closed when you exit. As anyone could expect, this starts hogging RAM and slows the system down...basically forcing you to need a clean boot every few days anyway.

Until they get this sorted out, I'd rather just boot cold each time, rather than get into a game and then figure out my dash is lagging. I always manually close out of apps on my phone and Touchpad for this same reason. That's not to say problems like this don't happen on PC, but I guess with consoles being such a closed format, I expect more. If they're not going to make it work perfectly, open the damn thing up and let me fix it myself, haha.

All that said...I do need to download Killer Instinct. I've heard it's not great, but at least that one is something different.

So were not using real fighters? But we have to beat the whole career mode to get our ratings higher for our cafs? I barely touched the career mode, all i do is play online matches
Using real fighters just would never work. The idea is to keep the same fighter the entire time. So, ultimately, somebody would get Cain Velasquez...and somebody would get Frank Mir. How long do you think the guy with Frank Mir would hang around?

But no, you don't have to play through career at all. Just go to the "Customize" menu and select "Create Fighter". Then, just make your guy within the limits. All points, moves, and abilities are unlocked in this mode...so it's actually possible to make a maxed out 100 OVR fighter with perfect stats in this mode. But fighting with "super heroes" is also very boring. That's why we have a limit of 2,000 points. You can make a damn good fighter...but he won't be perfect at everything.

Guacamelee is seriously a 9/10 type of game. Already playd it on PS3 but the new version has more content. And Spartan Assault isn't on Steam, although it is on Windows 8.

Sooo...nobody motivated enough to do this? Do I need to talk some kind of trash or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w27meg0YfEU

"You were born in your mother's ***!!!!"

Well, I could post the name, height, weight, etc. but I was intending to create a bio of a few paragraphs or so. Some is carried over from past games, but I'm trying to expand upon it and I haven't been able to find any thinky time these past couple days, lol.

I'm still ready to start whenever. Well, ready as in able and willing... not necessarily ready in the skills department. Heh.

bread's done
Back