Ohio CAGs...UNITE!

CYRiX

Banned
Hey any CAGs from O-H-I-O? If so lets discuss all local(er) dealers here. I live in a suburb off of columbus. We can also discuss garage sales for charites and churches and such.

So anyone from OHIO?

Was at the EB near Target on Alexis to pick up the new Shadow Hearts (best game ever btw), and I saw they had 3 copies of Guitar Hero lying there. The clerk was also bashing on the PSP, which gave me a chub and I wanted to passionately make out with the guy and have my way with his man teats.

I hope he doesn't read this.

I know there are plenty of Columbus-area people here, so... I'll be down there next weekend on a little mini-vacation. Is there anywhere I should stop by, game store or otherwise?

Got a couple hotels I'm looking at booking cheaply (La Quinta Inn in Reynoldsburg, HoJo on Morse Rd, Holiday Inn Express North on Dublin Granville - any of these in places I should avoid?), but I have to see where they relate to COSI, Anheuser Busch, and the Museum of Art. Feel free to recommend any other cheap hotels.

Has anyone seen a Rainbow Six 3 XBOX Headset Edition at their local CC lately?
I am going to one in Niles tomorrow(the Akron one closed:( )and I don't know if they have one.

Chapel Hill Best Buy has a lot of copies of Guitar Hero if anyone was looking.

Anybody trying to pricematch the $20 XBL Subscription tomorrow?

If anyone is in or going to Columbus, the Polaris Mall's Sam Goody and Suncoast are closing. They're both 40-70% off, but most of the games/dvds were 40%. Suncoast's discount really only brought it down to like average price, but in a week it may be worth it. The Sam Goody has some Everquest expansion packs for $5-$10 and some good, new games but nothing that appealed to me. Also, the Sears had some $3-7 and alot of $10 games, and 2 copies of ICO. I picked one up so the other is still there, the video games bin looked hardly touched so someone might find some gems there

I heard Meijer is a good place to try pricematching the XBL kit. Just take it to the register. Most people say they have gotten 1 or more no problem.

Does anyone here frequent the Macedonia GameRush? I'm getting sick to death of the employees at the Cleveland Heights store, and Macedonia is the only other one in driving distance. Curious if I should bother taking my business there for better employees and whatnot.

[quote name='Yusuke-Urameshi-']If anyone is in or going to Columbus, the Polaris Mall's Sam Goody and Suncoast are closing. They're both 40-70% off, but most of the games/dvds were 40%. Suncoast's discount really only brought it down to like average price, but in a week it may be worth it. The Sam Goody has some Everquest expansion packs for $5-$10 and some good, new games but nothing that appealed to me. Also, the Sears had some $3-7 and alot of $10 games, and 2 copies of ICO. I picked one up so the other is still there, the video games bin looked hardly touched so someone might find some gems there[/quote]
hey is that sale still going on?

Has anyone gotten a standee or poster or something from an EB/GS/GameCrazy/etc? The EB here in Toledo (on Alexis, and heck even in Springtown Meadows) has a Kingdom Hearts II standee I really want. I dunno how to approach them though...

If anyone else has the cojones and gets it, I will BUY it off you. Free money!

Yes, I have a Kingdom Hearts fetish.

[quote name='nnthomas']Has anyone gotten a standee or poster or something from an EB/GS/GameCrazy/etc? The EB here in Toledo (on Alexis, and heck even in Springtown Meadows) has a Kingdom Hearts II standee I really want. I dunno how to approach them though...

If anyone else has the cojones and gets it, I will BUY it off you. Free money!

Yes, I have a Kingdom Hearts fetish.

[quote name='botticus']Does anyone here frequent the Macedonia GameRush? I'm getting sick to death of the employees at the Cleveland Heights store, and Macedonia is the only other one in driving distance. Curious if I should bother taking my business there for better employees and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

I do. Employees are pretty nice, when had a good laugh when talking about Red Ninja. They rarely ask you any questions. Decent stock, though they have been a bit behind on getting newer items. There's an EB, Best Buy and Target all on the same strip

Dave

[quote name='solid snake']has any one here in ohio gotten ghost recon advanced war fighter for ps2 yet?[/QUOTE]

No (I own the 360 version), but I saw the PS2 version in Game Rush today if you are just curious as to whether it is out.

[quote name='shipwreck']No (I own the 360 version), but I saw the PS2 version in Game Rush today if you are just curious as to whether it is out.[/quote]
is it any good on xbox 360?

[quote name='solid snake']is it any good on xbox 360?[/QUOTE]

It's amazing on the 360. I haven't read anything about the PS2 version, but I would be utterly surprised if it was as good as the 360 version. It's almost hard for me to think that the same game could be on both systems.

[quote name='shipwreck']It's amazing on the 360. I haven't read anything about the PS2 version, but I would be utterly surprised if it was as good as the 360 version. It's almost hard for me to think that the same game could be on both systems.[/quote]
i got it the single player rocks but online blows big time its just stupid online it is like some one wiped thier azz and the online mode is what came off.

Got a question for NE Ohio CAGs - any cafes or chains you know that offer wireless net access? When I go out pillaging, it's usually a 12 hour day with as many stops as I can make, and a lot of times I wish I could hop on the net and check here or ebay or whatnot. I found a Mustard Seed Cafe with a sign outside that said they had wireless access (Solon, OH), and for some reason I remember either Starbucks or Barnes and Nobles offering net access

Dave

If you are near the Indiana line, Chapel Ridge - EBGAMES in Fort Wayne has Premium 360 Bundles for sale. First come, First serve sunday @ 11AM

I saw this in the Contests & Free Stuff forum, but I thought it would be better suited for this forum.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89675

In 1996, a bunch of classic gamers had a 'convention' called RGVC-CON in 1996 at a Day's Inn in Dayton Ohio. This was organized by #rgvc, an IRC channel inspired by the USENET group rec.games.video.classic. Ultimately this gathering moved to Cincinnati and became 'CinciClassic', and a total of six events have been hosted by some of those who organized that original event. CinciClassic grew to the point of having dozens of vendors and hundreds of attendees, but has been absent from the scene for a while.

For the first time since 2002, CinciClassic is back. The event has always been free (or dirt-cheap), and it's free for 2006; vendor fees cover the event costs and all gamers can attend and play without paying admission. The main floor alone will have over forty vendor tables (with wares from every system from Atari 2600 to Xbox 360, including neo-classic favorites like TG-16 and Saturn), and there will be plenty of free gameplay (including arcade machines) and tournaments, in addition to lots of discussion and trading. A new Sega CD game will debut at the show!

I'm making sure that on Saturday we have 10-player Saturn Bomberman (at every CinciClassic we've played it Saturday night), and 2-player Guitar Hero. We're also going to have wireless Nintendo DS gaming, and the more that come to play, the more play we'll have. We’ve always played modern as well as classic systems; Para Para Paradise on the PS2 was a huge hit in 2002.

There are also tournaments with prizes.

The event is Saturday, April 8, at the Fairfield Banquet and Convention Center in Fairfield, OH, from 9am to 11pm (possibly midnight). Friday night is mostly just vendors setting up, but there will certainly be some trading and possibly a little gaming too.

Come on out and say hello, and play! I'll be the guy in the black Vectrex t-shirt.

Gamers from the Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana area should definitely check this out, it's always a blast.

http://www.cinciclassic.org

Columbus CAG here.

I'll most likely be driving down to the Cinci Classic with Jerdogg123 and possibly a few others.

Anyone know if the Polaris SG & Suncoast are still open? They're all the way on the opposite side of Columbus for me and I haven't wanted to make the drive yet.

[quote name='Xeno G']Columbus CAG here.

I'll most likely be driving down to the Cinci Classic with Jerdogg123 and possibly a few others.

Anyone know if the Polaris SG & Suncoast are still open? They're all the way on the opposite side of Columbus for me and I haven't wanted to make the drive yet.[/QUOTE]
From what I recall the Polaris Suncoast was only open for another 4 or 5 days when I was there a couple weeks ago. So I'm guessing no.

Hmm... lived in Cincinnati my whole life (well except for the last three years) and I've never even heard of this thing.

Edit: After looking at the pictures from the 2001 event, I think I'm going to have to pass on this one.

Did some shopping in Dayton today. Gem City Records was slim pickings as usual. I forgot how much nicer Second Time Around is for finds. They had a used 360 HDD for $50 and two wired controllers for $30 each. Prices on games are much more reasonable too.

Went to the Mall at Fairfield Commons after that and looked around. EB had most of the recent price drops already marked. Sam Goody is nearly cleared out at 70% off games. Lots of copies of True Crime, Bulletproof, and old sports games left, but not much else as far as games go. They had a nice stack of guides toward the back. DVDs are still plentiful as are CDs.

Curious if any of the Columbus/Dayton/Cinci CAGs have noticed this or are enrolled in Best Buy's Reward Zone:

http://www.myrewardzone.com/ohio.jspx

To summarize, the program is free in those three cities (as opposed to a $10 fee), but instead of 100 points per dollar, you get 1 point per dollar; currently you receive a $5 certificate for every $150 spent, or 15000 points. The experimental program offers a $5 cert for every $250 spent, or 250 points.

I worked out the numbers, and it will be great for low-volume shoppers at BB since it's free, but if you spend over $1000 a year, you'll be getting fewer rewards.

[quote name='botticus']Curious if any of the Columbus/Dayton/Cinci CAGs have noticed this or are enrolled in Best Buy's Reward Zone:

http://www.myrewardzone.com/ohio.jspx

To summarize, the program is free in those three cities (as opposed to a $10 fee), but instead of 100 points per dollar, you get 1 point per dollar; currently you receive a $5 certificate for every $150 spent, or 15000 points. The experimental program offers a $5 cert for every $250 spent, or 250 points.

I worked out the numbers, and it will be great for low-volume shoppers at BB since it's free, but if you spend over $1000 a year, you'll be getting fewer rewards.[/QUOTE]
I haven't heard of this before and I know a ton of people who work at the local BB. Do they just spam you more to make up the $10? I know you don't get the premier benefits, but it seems like something for nothing.

To follow up on my own question, here's a few spots with free wireless internet incase you need to hop on the net during a shopping trip:

Pulp Juice/Smoothie Bar - Kent: Highest recommendation, good drinks, chicks work there in ass-hanging out shorts, Kent St hotties rotate in and out like clockwork

? Cafe - Stow - on the main road about 1/2 mile past gamestop - it's open 24 hours

Mustard Seed Cafe - Solon - in the same plaza as EB

Dave

[quote name='radjago']I haven't heard of this before and I know a ton of people who work at the local BB. Do they just spam you more to make up the $10? I know you don't get the premier benefits, but it seems like something for nothing.[/QUOTE]
Well, as I described, if you spend over $1000, they'll be giving you less money with the free plan than with the pay one. I'm assuming they've done or are doing market research to determine how their customer spending habits break down around that number.

HAMILTON COUNTY OHIO RESIDENTS ONLY: WIN a private suite at Cincy Reds game

Saw this in CinWeekly magazine, sucks because i'm not a Hamilton County resident....... :cry: The county basically gets a free suite every year as part of the stadium deal and they raffle for 5 winners each game to bring themselves and a guest.

IF YOU WIN YOU TAKIN ME BITCHES!

http://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/hc/gabp_draw.asp

"Hamilton County will provide the use of its suite at Great American Ball Park for citizens selected through random drawings. The drawings will be held periodically through the 2006 baseball season after Board of County Commissioner meetings. The drawings will provide 5 winners and their guest an opportunity to see a Reds game from the suite. The County will provide food and soft drinks.

Commissioners Phil Heimlich, Pat DeWine, and Todd Portune each shared their pleasure in offering this chance to the citizens of Hamilton County.

Please submit this entry form for your chance to win. Once you enter your name it will remain in the hopper for each drawing through the season.

You must respond within 48 hours of notification if you are selected as a winner.
Please contact Amy at 946-4304 if you have questions."

Garfield Heigts CC is opening Thursday night with some goodies like 10% off some stuff. Not sure if they'd have any of the bargain bin games, but if they got anof the cuyahoga falls stock theres a shot

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']Garfield Heigts CC is opening Thursday night with some goodies like 10% off some stuff. Not sure if they'd have any of the bargain bin games, but if they got anof the cuyahoga falls stock theres a shot

Dave[/QUOTE]

I didn't see any bargain bin games there.

I went an hour and a half early, waited and got a free $50 gift card. :applause: I'll use that for Scrubs seasons 2 and 3 on Tuesday. :) I also got a signed picture of the Cavs girls and a Reuben Drougns autograph.

Anyone know when that City View Gamestop is going to open? I haven't looked at the front of it yet to see how far along it is, I've just seen the name on the back.

[quote name='nintendospy']I didn't see any bargain bin games there.

I went an hour and a half early, waited and got a free $50 gift card. :applause: I'll use that for Scrubs seasons 2 and 3 on Tuesday. :) I also got a signed picture of the Cavs girls and a Reuben Drougns autograph.

Anyone know when that City View Gamestop is going to open? I haven't looked at the front of it yet to see how far along it is, I've just seen the name on the back.[/quote]
lucky

Targets are opening up in Streetsboro and Aurora. The Streetsboro one looks ready to go, the other one just popped up - it looks like its going to be a huge shopping complex right across from the other one

Dave

Any desire to try to have an Ohio CAG meetup this summer? I know botticus and I are in the Cleveland area. I'm not really sure what we'd do, but maybe throw down some DS stuff, get together some place where we could play some 4 player Cube or Xbox games. I could supply DDR so that everyone can see me act like a total spazz....

[quote name='daroga']Any desire to try to have an Ohio CAG meetup this summer? I know botticus and I are in the Cleveland area. I'm not really sure what we'd do, but maybe throw down some DS stuff, get together some place where we could play some 4 player Cube or Xbox games. I could supply DDR so that everyone can see me act like a total spazz....[/QUOTE]

It would be cool if we could find a place to have an Ohio game swap. Get together, play some multiplayer, and trade some games.

I head up to Cleveland a couple times a year for movie conventions, I'll definately keep ya in mind next time we road trip. If nothing else, we could get some portable multiplayer going.

Hey, I've often lurked about the boards but never bothered to post so I figure I'll start in the Ohio area.

I'm a tad fed up with eBay and PAypal after having some issues with them in the last 6 months or so but I'm still in the market for a number of older NES/SMS/SNES/Genesis games and was wondering if anyone from around the Akron/Canton/Cleveland area knew of any good, reasonably priced stores that have some selection of those system's titles.

[quote name='eshbums']It would be cool if we could find a place to have an Ohio game swap. Get together, play some multiplayer, and trade some games.

I head up to Cleveland a couple times a year for movie conventions, I'll definately keep ya in mind next time we road trip. If nothing else, we could get some portable multiplayer going.[/quote]
i would deffinitly be up for that but i say have it here in columbus,cause its sorta close to every thing

[quote name='Ilario7886']Hey, I've often lurked about the boards but never bothered to post so I figure I'll start in the Ohio area.

I'm a tad fed up with eBay and PAypal after having some issues with them in the last 6 months or so but I'm still in the market for a number of older NES/SMS/SNES/Genesis games and was wondering if anyone from around the Akron/Canton/Cleveland area knew of any good, reasonably priced stores that have some selection of those system's titles.[/quote]

i know of a place here in columbus,its called trading zone its a really sweet store.

[quote name='solid snake']i would deffinitly be up for that but i say have it here in columbus,cause its sorta close to every thing[/QUOTE]
Except Cleveland :D

I would definitely be up for something if my schedule allows it. Honestly Columbus isn't a bad location, it really just depends on who can host and where, how long, and how many people.

[quote name='Ilario7886']Hey, I've often lurked about the boards but never bothered to post so I figure I'll start in the Ohio area.

I'm a tad fed up with eBay and PAypal after having some issues with them in the last 6 months or so but I'm still in the market for a number of older NES/SMS/SNES/Genesis games and was wondering if anyone from around the Akron/Canton/Cleveland area knew of any good, reasonably priced stores that have some selection of those system's titles.[/QUOTE]

The Exchange has tons of those games. I've been to ones in Cuyahoga Falls, Kent, Solon and Fairlawn, and theres lots more in the Cleveland area. Theres also CD/Game Exchange stores that have a few, but mostly focus on music. I've been to Kent and Cuyahoga Falls, and theres also a lot more of those in Cleveland.

GameCrazy still has NES/SNES/Genny games, and theres 2 in Canton and about 8 in the Cleveland area

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']The Exchange has tons of those games. I've been to ones in Cuyahoga Falls, Kent, Solon and Fairlawn, and theres lots more in the Cleveland area. Theres also CD/Game Exchange stores that have a few, but mostly focus on music. I've been to Kent and Cuyahoga Falls, and theres also a lot more of those in Cleveland.

GameCrazy still has NES/SNES/Genny games, and theres 2 in Canton and about 8 in the Cleveland area

Dave[/quote]

Yea, I've used The Exhange for stuff before but rarely find anything there worth it. I guess I'm just looking for places that charge less than $5 for NES games. I'm too used to eBay I suppose but paying more than a dollar or two for NES games just doesn't sit well with me any longer. Same goes for SMS games.

I'm actually looking for around 45 NES/SMS games and around 30 SNES/Genesis games as part of a way of killing my backlog over the summer. Like a few games a day, just finally knocking out all that stuff I wanted to play as a kid. College will really begin ramping up for me in the next semester (presumably, though I thought the same for this one and it was easy) and I'm looking to be able to focus on just keeping up with current games as opposed to trying to keeping up with both new and old.

For any Dayton area CAGs, the Radio Shack in Fairborn on Dayton-Yellow Springs Rd is closing and having a clearance sale with 20-50% off everything in the store. It wasn't open when I went by, but they had a big banner and signs everywhere. All sales final.

bread's done
Back