Okami Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

This is that rare occasion when I'm really thankful for the delay. I've got so much on my plate right now, and being well away from the release of Smash Bros. can only benefit this game.

Funny that they moved it to Tax Day, though.

[quote name='Strell']This game needed the delay for two reasons.

1) Because coming out anywhere near the Brawl shockwave guarantees instant incineration, immolation, and damnation.

2) Because they should get the fucking paper filter working. How shitty do the people porting the game have to be to not get something working that the PS2 can do? Hell, I bet the GC could do (looking at Viewtiful Joe as evidence).[/QUOTE]

One of the developers at Eat Sleep Play posted over at NeoGAF that the paper filter is in, and IGN and others are previewing an old build.

This seems like a pretty good shop, I trust the port will be solid.

As for the delay, this just gives me time to finish Twilight Princess to justify a day one purchase.

Gamespy just had a hands-on with this and found the controls to be broken and just plain awful. I haven't heard about these issues elsewhere, but this is the most recent preview I've seen so I trust the build they're playing on is the newest. I'm hoping the port turns out well as I'd love true widescreen and think drawing with the wiimote would work well, but honestly the game was never broken before, so if the port fails I'll just replay the wonderful PS2 version.

[quote name='The Crotch']Damn. I don't want to put Okami back on my PS2 WTTF list...[/QUOTE]

I'd wait for the Wii version... the PS2 version look great without pro-scan or widescreen support, I can only imagine how beautiful the Wii version will be.

I'm not worried about the looks here. Not that I think that this will end up like crap, but this isn't particularly encouraging.

I never did have any problems with the PS2 controls. At all.

I would imagine the drawing would actually be harder to do with a Wiimote.

I'm just a sucker for 480p and WS, but if it's as broke as they say, I'll stick with the PS2 version.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']WTF is up with the $39.99 MSRP?[/quote]
Huh? You mean $10 cheaper than the PS2 version? And apparently requiring a lot more work for the developers than RE4 with less chance of selling as many copies? It seems totally reasonable to me.

[quote name='zewone']I never did have any problems with the PS2 controls. At all.

I would imagine the drawing would actually be harder to do with a Wiimote.

I'm just a sucker for 480p and WS, but if it's as broke as they say, I'll stick with the PS2 version.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that myself... watching some gameplay vids, it looks like a lot of people couldn't get the shapes down right.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm thinking that myself... watching some gameplay vids, it looks like a lot of people couldn't get the shapes down right.[/quote]
I suspect it's due to the same problem a lot of people have with the Wiimote and trying to make precise movements. A lot of people expect the remote to behave like it does in Wii Sports and can't seem to reconcile that with the sensitivity of the remote when using IR instead.

I really hope they didn't fuck this up! Even though I wouldn't buy it (even if I kept my Wii) I really wanted it to sell well on the Wii in hopes of getting a sequel down the road!

[quote name='mephitical']Huh? You mean $10 cheaper than the PS2 version? And apparently requiring a lot more work for the developers than RE4 with less chance of selling as many copies? It seems totally reasonable to me.[/QUOTE]

Anything more than $30 for a bare-bones PS2 port doesn't seem reasonable to me.

I'm just going to wait until it inevitably bombs and pick it for around that price.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Anything more than $30 for a bare-bones PS2 port doesn't seem reasonable to me.

I'm just going to wait until it inevitably bombs and pick it for around that price.[/quote]
This is odd logic - it should not matter if it is a bare-bones PS2 port, it is Okami. I am assuming you did not buy it for the PS2, in which case you are currently without Okami. Even if it was pixel-for-pixel the same game as the PS2 version, you are currently without Okami. It's still $30 new for the PS2 most places, without 16:9 or 480p, and you are currently without Okami. Oh yeah, also, you are currently without Okami.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Anything more than $30 for a bare-bones PS2 port doesn't seem reasonable to me.

I'm just going to wait until it inevitably bombs and pick it for around that price.[/QUOTE]

It's not barebones... it'll have widescreen support and progressive scan, things the PS2 version did not. Oh, and the controls will be redone too.

But I agree, even with those additions, anything more than $30 seems like a bit much- especially since I already beat the PS2 version.

You know, I hate to be like that dirty slut Negative Nancy, but it IS ashame when something like "480p, 16:9" for a game gets confirmed it's a good thing. It should be the standard, IMO.

Signed,
A Nintendo fanboy and NOT a graphics whore.

[quote name='lilboo']You know, I hate to be like that dirty slut Negative Nancy, but it IS ashame when something like "480p, 16:9" for a game gets confirmed it's a good thing. It should be the standard, IMO.

Signed,
A Nintendo fanboy and NOT a graphics whore.[/quote]
That's true. Nintendo should require all games support 16:9 and 480p.

Just came across this on Gamefly and I might just rent it out and see how it is since I enjoyed the PS2 one. Sigh....wish they'd come out with a sequel for it.

$39.99 seems reasonable to me, I don't have Okami on the PS2 and I haven't ever played it.

And I'd rather have 16:9 and 480p support than a cheaper game.

I'm a little concerned now since I just traded my PS2 version of Okami and then heard comments on the 1UP Yours podcast saying the PS2 version is better. I do want 480p visuals though.

Having never played it, I don't think I would miss the PS2 controls since I wouldn't know the difference. I know almost nothing about this game but watching videos and other CAG's recommendations sold me.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Having never played it, I don't think I would miss the PS2 controls since I wouldn't know the difference. I know almost nothing about this game but watching videos and other CAG's recommendations sold me.[/quote]

Supposedly if you've never played it the Wii version will control fine but if you've played the PS2 version you will notice the difference...

[quote name='Hostile']Controls during battle.[/quote]
"Battle" in Okami is basically pressing one button over and over, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if you haven't played the PS2 version.

Is this really confirmed at $30 MSRP now lika Sofa King Cool mentioned?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']... Keep reading.[/quote]
Gotcha. I was too excited to read I guess. I am looking for justifications to own the exact same game on two systems and the cheaper this is the easier that is to do.

[quote name='mephitical']"Battle" in Okami is basically pressing one button over and over, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if you haven't played the PS2 version.

Is this really confirmed at $30 MSRP now lika Sofa King Cool mentioned?[/quote]

The problem was with the brush strokes, IIRC.

[quote name='Hostile']The problem was with the brush strokes, IIRC.[/quote]
I guess we'll have to play to see. I suspect it was due to the standard issues people have with the sensitivity of IR, but who knows.

1UP is notorious for complaining about Wii controls anyway. Didn't you remember when they get pwned after dissing the controls for SSX Blur?

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']1UP is notorious for complaining about Wii controls anyway. Didn't you remember when they get pwned after dissing the controls for SSX Blur?

--R.J.[/quote]

Do you have any other examples or was that it for your argument against 1UP?

I listen to 1UP Yours all the time and it was on the 3/21 podcast.

[quote name='Hostile']Do you have any other examples or was that it for your argument against 1UP?

I listen to 1UP Yours all the time and it was on the 3/21 podcast.[/quote]

That is correct, they did in fact complain about the wii brush controls. One guy thought you might as well buy the ps2 version. Another guy still wanted the wii version for the 16:9 and he hadn't played the ps2 version before.

Things don't look good for the game, and this is coming from Nintendo Power

As posted in GoNintendo.com
-Beautiful aesthetics
-Lots to do
-Controls didn’t make the jump as well as they should have
-Pointing and drawing is faster and allows more freedom than analog stick
-Harder to be precise, resulting in recognition problems
-Awkward combat - slow, timed flicks of remote are required for consecutive hits; swing too fast and it’s not recognized
-No motion-based fishing
-Issues can be overcome with practice
-Play PS2 version instead (apocalypse now?)

Looks like it's time to track down a PS2 version for me, which is a real shame. =(

Damn, that's awful! I guess it's what comes from hiring a mediocre developer to remake a game. Especially annoying since Capcom will see the inevitable poor sales as a sign that stylized, hardcore adventures shouldn't be financed, when it'll really be the fault of the shit controls. I'll stick it in my Goozex queue though when it comes out; I'll wait for opinions here before I give up all hope.

I'll probably still rent it, at least... all other things being equal, I prefer not to buy stuff for my PS2 anymore since fewer systems being played is better. So if the visuals make up for less than awesome controls, I'll deal.

Don't throw in the towel on this just quite yet. The guys on IGN's Nintendo podcast were waxing rhapsodic about the game today. Cassamassina said he's put in like 10+ hours or so on the final build and that it plays great, including drawing with the brush (and yes, he played the PS2 version). Bozon was agreeing. So I'm still holding out hope.

I think I'm just going to get it. I haven't played the PS2 version nor do I own it. And, since I still have that Walmart $10 giftcard from the Brawl fiasco, $30 isn't bad at all.

bread's done
Back