Okami Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

I've been using the A button to dot stars and have had no problems.

Is there a trick to the 4 hit combo from the first dojo? I tried getting it for 10 to 15 minutes (with two different Wiimotes) and was never able to get past 3 hits. I was finally forced to quit because my wrist was really starting to hurt. :censored:

You need to time the swing just right. Too soon or too late and it won't recognize the second hit. Chaining the hits feels a lot slower than it looks like it should be, but once you get the hang of it, it gets a lot easier.

Yeah, I think you have to clear it maybe 5 times or so? But it does feel slower than you think you'd need to swing. It also has to be pretty consistent. Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever get the timing down right in an actual battle without seeing the x's or circles knowing I did it right/wrong. Fortunately I don't think the battles will ever get so tough that I'll absolutely need to use it.

Battling gets easier as you learn new moves. Stick to the Rosary for a while. Works great, and keeps bad guys at a distance.

Hmm... I'll have to break this open this weekend and try it out. It's been sitting sealed for a few months now. I'm excited to see what it's like.

I got to the part where you have to help Mr Orange revive the tree by drawing circles around the flowers, and I had to quit after 10 minutes because my urge to kill every ReadyAtDawn employee was getting out of control.

Seriously, the game has never had problems recognizing my circles before that part, yet I couldn't get past 3 circles (and rarely made it past 1. Heck sometimes on the second one it would draw a sun instead of causing the flower to bloom). :censored::twoguns::wall:

I hope whoever programed the circle recognition on that part gets blacklisted from the industry. They don't deserve to work on shovelware.

:lol: I had a few parts like that. Seemingly perfect circles that go unrecognized when half-assed circles worked. It is really a hit or miss control. Sounds obvious, but make sure you close the circle, that seemed to be the clincher for me.

Yeah, I just finished that blossom part last night, and it took me at least 10 tries. I'd always get to the third one, and then it would not recognize it, or it would draw a sun. Very weird. Like Corvin said, I found that making sure I closed the circle completely helped, and I also made them pretty small.

Corvin - when I first read your post yesterday I was like "rosary?!?!" but now i'm like - YEAH ROSARY! Just got that last night and only used it a few times, but it seems pretty cool. And mmmmmmmmmm........CHERRY BOMB.

This game has drawn me in like no other console game has in a long, long time.....there's just so much to do, so much to explore.....I can't stop gushing over this game.....

[quote name='EvyLou']
This game has drawn me in like no other console game has in a long, long time.....there's just so much to do, so much to explore.....I can't stop gushing over this game.....[/QUOTE]

Same here. That's why, despite finishing it the other day, I keep posting. I've been playing it for a month and had no one to discuss it with since it seemed as though I was the only one playing it. :lol:

Wow, this game has been in my backlog for a long time, I just started playing it again and somehow I am magically in love with it.

I keep playing this one on and off, but the last couple of days I've put a bunch of time into it.
One thing I really like is that this game always has plenty of stuff to do. I'm at around 20 hours now, and I think I've spent the last 2 hours just doing optional sidequest stuff.

Even after watching a Youtube video of the Wii version of Mr. Orange's dance and drawing circles like that person did after 20 minutes on Saturday and 20 on Sunday I still can't get past 3 circles. :censored:

It's not really drawing it, but how you do it. If the front and back ends of the line connect at all it should count.

Another 20 minutes wasted tonight. I made sure to close my circles, but I never got past the second flower. Sad thing is I never had a problem using this brush technique to revive the smaller trees in town, but I just cannot get it to work on the main tree.

I might just copy my save to an SD card and send it to someone willing to help me, I just don't know how much more I can take.

How close to the tree were you? Are you trying to do the entire tree or just the trunk? Try a smaller circle around the trunk. I think that worked for me once or twice.

.....but I think he's still having trouble with the buds for Mr. Orange.......not the smaller black trees. I don't know what to say.....take it slow (you seem to have unlimited time when you're using the brush), complete the circle, and make it smaller than you think it needs to be.

Definitely don't give up though.....I've put in a bunch more hours.....up to about 12-13 hours in now
I just found all of the dogs
and am still having a blast. The end seems so far away knowing this will take close to 40 hours, but that's fine by me. I'll be here searching for my missing stray beads.......

I finally got it. My problem was that I was letting go of the B button when I finished drawing the circle like you normally do when you're finished drawing, but apparently at the tree you don't let go, the game ends the time freeze for you when it decides you've finished drawing the circle.

I figured it out entirely randomly, I loaded Okami today to try and decided to try again, and draw double circles. Naturally I was surprised when the game ended the time freeze for me before I finished my first double circle. :shock:

Needless to say I'm glad I figured it out, I was getting close to quitting the game.

[quote name='EvyLou'].The end seems so far away knowing this will take close to 40 hours, but that's fine by me. I'll be here searching for my missing stray beads.......[/QUOTE]

It will take you many more than that to find all the beads. Having recently finished the game I glanced at a guide to see what the beads give you and personally, I'd advise against wasting your time. The extra only benefits you if you play through the game a second time.
It gives you a god mode for your second play through.

No, but I may be disqualified. My address is 408, and I have a friend who lives at 480 on the same street. We get each other's mail all the time, so I wrote my name and his address as well as my real address.

[quote name='Doomed']No, but I may be disqualified. My address is 408, and I have a friend who lives at 480 on the same street. We get each other's mail all the time, so I wrote my name and his address as well as my real address.[/quote]
No one was really disqualified. If they got multiple requests, you get one set. But since all three covers are being sent out, my multiple requests were redundant anyway.

Ugh. I really hate that I missed out on this. I think I bought the game a couple of days after they discontinued the sign ups.

I knew I was going to buy it, I just didn't want to do it until I actually bought the game.

Yeah I wish they would let people order again for a few days. I'm pretty sure the back of the manual has a code on it, just make us input that code.

I'm now about 22-23 hours into the game
I'm about to go into the whirlpool to calm down the water dragon
and I'm still really enjoying it, aside from handwriting recognition issues.

I finally put a little more time into this just now. 32ish hours in and I just beat Ninetails. It looks like I'm about 80% through, so that'd put me close to 40 hours to finish. This certainly isn't helping me get through my backlog at all, but i'm still enjoying this game a lot.

I also took a look at my beads, and it looks like I have about half of the ones I could have by now, 40ish of the first 80 or so. I'm not sure i'll go back and get them all, but I may do a final trip through all of the areas before I finish it up, just so I can try out the new abilities in the earlier areas.

[quote name='EvyLou']
I also took a look at my beads, and it looks like I have about half of the ones I could have by now, 40ish of the first 80 or so. I'm not sure i'll go back and get them all, but I may do a final trip through all of the areas before I finish it up, just so I can try out the new abilities in the earlier areas.[/QUOTE]

Don't waste your time unless you are definitely getting them all. The item you get is only useful if you play through the game a second time, and only attainable if you get every bead.

yep, that's a good point. no reason to get a few extras if i don't plan on getting them all. and i don't plan on playing through the game again, so the "god mode" wouldn't really be of any use for me. did you bother to complete the fish or animal tomes, or the treasure list? or the "wanted" monster lists? i don't want to miss out on any interesting items.

I think part of the reason I get distracted and never finish games is because I aim for the daunting task of 100% completing everything. This is probably why I haven't finished Zelda, Super Paper Mario, or SMG yet. Ugh.

I just finished Okami the other day and I really enjoyed it. The only real problems I had with it was the controls, that sometimes it wasn't clear what exactly I should do next, boss battle repetition, and the transition between different parts of the story (usually after you beat a boss) wasn't handled very well.

I was also impressed with the ending, being fairly satisfying and leaving the door open for a sequel at the same time.

[quote name='EvyLou']yep, that's a good point. no reason to get a few extras if i don't plan on getting them all. and i don't plan on playing through the game again, so the "god mode" wouldn't really be of any use for me. did you bother to complete the fish or animal tomes, or the treasure list? or the "wanted" monster lists? i don't want to miss out on any interesting items.

I think part of the reason I get distracted and never finish games is because I aim for the daunting task of 100% completing everything. This is probably why I haven't finished Zelda, Super Paper Mario, or SMG yet. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

I searched for everything I could during my quest, but once I've seen the ending (about 60 hours) I was ready to move on. Too many other games on the pile to bother with finding inane shit for some goofy bonus item/feature.

I didn't even bother with the stray beads. It's going to be years before I play Okami again (if I ever play it again, I don't usually have time to replay 40 hour games). I think my total playtime was just under 40 hours (not counting the time I wasted helping Mr. Orange with his fucking tree blooming dance).

Not sure where this comment belongs, but I got my new Okami cover art in the mail today. This was a freebie to those who wrote in and asked for a replacement for the IGN-adorned original art.

It came in a big 9x12 Capcom envelope, and had two original cover art sheets, both 2-sided with 2 separate alternate designs on the flipsides.

I wish I had ordered some covers. Oh well.

Anyone else buy the Okami art book? I've been reading through my copy and it has beautiful artwork, along with interesting little tidbits about the game (for example the 8 canine warriors were originally going to be humans but they eventually changed then to dogs. The early sketches of the human versions show them with hair that resembles dog ears).

bread's done
Back