Old Stock Walmart Clearance games for $5 (YMMV depending on stock)

UncleBob

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Original Post:

This week, Walmart did some clearance price changes on a lot of older video game stock. Many, many titles went down to $5.

A lot of this was older sports titles, so if you've got a hankerin' for some Madden 09, rush to your nearest ghetto Walmart now.

Aside from that, there were some gems. The AC/DC Track Pack went down to $5 (though the bundles with the shirt are still $30).

More importantly, Metroid Prime 3, Wario Ware Smooth Moves and Pokémon: Battle Revolution went down to $5 as well. Managed to pick up the one I needed (Battle Revolution) and a few extras for trade. :D

So, good luck hunting and post your finds in here so others can know what to look out for.

Again, these are nationwide price changes. As long as your store has 'em in stock and has worked the price change (yes, as we discussed in length in the 3DS price change thread oh-so-long-ago, someone in the store, usually the department manager, has to accept the price change before it goes into effect) the prices are good to go wherever the older games are in stock.

==========

TRUE Walmart List for Discounted Games
Go to this post:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9354876&postcount=153

Thanks, N1ntendo.
5.gif

==========

List of (protential) clearance games @ your local walmart. compiled by GTAERgameing

$5
.hack, Part 3: Outbreak :ps2:
AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack :ps3: :wii: :360:
Ape Escape :psp:
Baten Kaitos Origins :gc:
Battalion Wars 2 :wii:
Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WW2 :ps3:
Cabela's Big Game Hunter '10 :360:
Daxter :psp:
F.E.A.R. :ps3:
F.E.A.R. Files :ps3: :360:
FIFA Soccer 08 :ps2: :ps3: :wii:
FIFA Soccer 10 :ps2: :ps3:
Gallop Racer 2006 :ps2:
Madden NFL 2006
Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition :ps3:
Madden NFL 09
Medal of Honor Collection :ps2:
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption :wii:
Monsters vs. Aliens :wii:
NCAA Football 2009 :wii:
NHL 2009 :360:
NHL 2010
NPPL Championship Paintball 2009 :wii:
Odama (with Microphone) :gc:
Pokemon Battle Revolution :wii:
Rapala Fishing Frenzy 2009 :360:
Secret Agent Clank :psp:
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology :ps2:
The Gunstringer :360:
The Simpsons Game :360:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 :ps2:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Wii Motion Plus Bundle :wii:
Timeshift :ps3: :360:
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 :ps3:
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune :ps3:
Vampire Rain
Vanquish :360:
WarioWare: Smooth Moves :wii:
Wipeout Pure :psp:
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009 :ps3:

$8
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

$10
Bayonetta :360:
EA Sports Active 2 Bundle :ps3: :wii: :360:

I was able to grab Fear for $5 at mine. They had tons of ac/dc and some older sports stuff. They had slots for other clearance games like timeshift and bayonetta but they were gone. I didnt really check out the ps3 or ds stuff.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']How has the stickering/shelf tagging been at your stores? I ask because there are known titles we've all worked to list (like I've bought several Gallop Racers or Tiger Woods tagged at higher prices) and then last night I'd find random stuff like Contact for DS for 5.00. That was tagged correctly, of course, but since there's stuff not tagged correctly, it makes me wonder if I've missed out on games.
But this has been great late night fun. I've probably been to 12 stores.[/QUOTE]

As per usual with WM, the stickering has been very random. Like I mentioned earlier, every store I went to had AC/DC at the $5 price, and they were all labeled as such. The Gallop Racer's I picked up today were labeled on the shelf at $5 (although they had a sticker on them for like $39.xx, lol), as well as some of the other games I reported, such as Timeshift, FEAR Files, the Simpsons game, and the couple of different FIFA titles I saw.

Oddly enough, though, Wario Ware only had the correct sticker price of $5 at one store I found it at, although every store I did find it at it rang up correctly, even when the shelf sticker said $39.xx. The same thing with the TW Motion Plus bundle I found; it said $50 on the shelf, but rang up $5. You should have seen the look of surprise that they had on their faces when I bought 4 games that were still labeled as $40/ea for $20 + tax...the lady had to take it over to a supervisor to make sure it wasn't a mistake.

So basically, almost every store I have been to have had at least 1-2 titles clearly marked for $5, although UPC scanning has nabbed me some of the other sale games mentioned here, even though they were still marked at their original price. It's really killing me to imagine what kind of games I'm missing that could be super-cheap because they are not labeled correctly, or haven't been listed here for me to check yet...:bomb:

I have been printing out UPC sheets for the games mentioned here, so I can just go to the price checkers and see the actual price for myself. I have found that CS agents' patience can wear pretty thin when asking for price checks on games in the case (heaven forbid).

I think I'm about to head back out to my 2 closest stores and re-check some of the new stuff that has been mentioned here. I noticed some Madden '09 collectors at one last week, so I might have to go grab a few. Has anyone else seen Gunstringer for the $5 that one guy reported? I have scanned the UPC at a few stores that had some $5 games, and it still came up for $40. :(

Anyway, this has been a real blast, so if I don't get too drunk during the Super Bowl tonight, I might head out of town again and check another 5-7 stores...or maybe I'll just do it tomorrow. :)

Oh yeah, here's one more find to report:

Tiger Woods '10 (PS2) $5

Is Madden collectors on sale for 360? I saw one at a Walmart, but I think I only saw it reported for PS3? We really need a wiki post for this thread. I wish Walmart didn't suck so much at clearance... it's going to be very annoying if DS games are on sale and no one knows. There's a lot of great possibilities... I mean, Contact for 5.00 is just a solid, solid deal. I want more of that sort of thing.

Also, like you mention, the YMMV/Not YMMV mixture of this is very odd. For instance, every Wii motion plus bundle of Tiger Woods has been 5.00. Period. However, I've found several stores with Warioware and Batallion Wars, and not a single one is on clearance. These stores also accepted price changes for other games to drop down to 5.00.

Another thing: does anyone's Walmarts have games that are faded on the front cover? Some of the games look like they've been sitting in the sun despite the fact that there's not a source of sunlight at all. Can fluorescent lighting damage games like the sun? Very, very odd.

And the price checking thing is on point. There is so much resistance that I usually just pretend to want to buy it, then say "Oh, you know what, never mind on that one, sorry." It's dick of me, I suppose, but I had one person perform a price check by pointing at the shelf tag. I never felt like impaling my face through a glass game case until that very moment.

Yeah, as far as I've seen, the only Madden '09 that was reported was the PS3 version, but then again, it's WM, so WHO KNOWS!? :)

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Also, like you mention, the YMMV/Not YMMV mixture of this is very odd.[/quote]

It's not odd - when a Walmart employee works the price changes, they don't hit one button that accepts them all. Home office might drop 300 price changes for a single department in one day. The employee working those price changes has to take them... one... at... a... time...

The employee is supposed to take each of these price changes. They have to find the item, scan it, verify the count (or change the count, if it's incorrect), accept the price change, change the labels, wash, rinse, repeat.

It takes time to work all of the price changes. Combined with everything else the employees there do, it's no surprise it's taking several days for these to get work (and, most often, they don't get worked on the weekends at all).

Another thing: does anyone's Walmarts have games that are faded on the front cover? Some of the games look like they've been sitting in the sun despite the fact that there's not a source of sunlight at all. Can fluorescent lighting damage games like the sun?

Yes - very much so. I've seen some really nasty faded games due to the fluorescent lighting. Also, it turns the plastic wrap super-brittle.

im going to stop by my store on the way to my friends house for the super bowl. I really hope they have The Simpsons.

It's odd because Walmart is evil!!!
Well, I mean they seem grossly inefficient when it comes to clearance. I've worked at Target, so I know their process, and it's a lot more streamlined than Walmart. Not to mention there's a whole team of people dedicated to just clearance drops... from the sounds of it, it's just the people in each department also handling clearance for Walmart? If so, that sucks for you guys... Walmart people are definitely overworked. I can tell it from the people I've seen, and how bare bones the night crews are. And I'm sure it's not any better during the day when it's super busy.

Hit up 3 Walmarts today and picked up these games for $5:

Wario Ware Smooth Moves Wii
Battalion Wars 2 Wii
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Wii
The Simpsons Game Xbox 360
FIFA 10 PS3

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']
Another thing: does anyone's Walmarts have games that are faded on the front cover? Some of the games look like they've been sitting in the sun despite the fact that there's not a source of sunlight at all. Can fluorescent lighting damage games like the sun? Very, very odd.[/QUOTE]
Most of the WalMart SuperCenters I've been to have skylights in the ceiling every so often if you look up. While most of them are opaque in color, I imagine that some stores may have used the clear lenses in them and as such that may allow some sunlight into the store at different times throughout the day.
[quote name='kit352']I was able to grab Fear for $5 at mine. They had tons of ac/dc and some older sports stuff. They had slots for other clearance games like timeshift and bayonetta but they were gone. I didnt really check out the ps3 or ds stuff.[/QUOTE]
Bayonetta for $5 possibly? :shock: I never did finish that(or Dante's Inferno) when I had them last. Maybe I should run to my local WM stores tomorrow to double check.:)

I just hope Bayonetta is $5 for PS3 as well, since that's the only current gen console I have at the moment.

[quote name='kit352']I was able to grab Fear for $5 at mine. They had tons of ac/dc and some older sports stuff. They had slots for other clearance games like timeshift and bayonetta but they were gone. I didnt really check out the ps3 or ds stuff.[/QUOTE]
Bayonetta for $5 possibly? :shock: I never did finish that(or Dante's Inferno) when I had them last. Maybe I should run to my local WM stores tomorrow to double check.:)

Saw some Halo Reach headsets for $25.00 and some ac/dc. Wasnt a total waste i found a swtfu ultimate sith edition for 360 for $39.96.

[quote name='atc250es']Saw some Halo Reach headsets for $25.00 and some ac/dc. Wasnt a total waste i found a swtfu ultimate sith edition for 360 for $39.96.[/QUOTE]

Whoa...$180 for Ultimate Sith on Amazon....any ideas why so much?

[quote name='SuperMario64']^Yup, mine still has MLB 05 for 29.96 for the PS1. THE FREAKIN PS1.[/QUOTE]

one store I went to had N64 Games for $20,they went down to $5 eventually should have bought them they were brand new and still sealed.

[quote name='troy2007']Whoa...$180 for Ultimate Sith on Amazon....any ideas why so much?[/QUOTE]

Wow that is crazy, does anybody know why?

[quote name='myka22']Wow that is crazy, does anybody know why?[/QUOTE]

Late release low print run. Ps3 has probably half the print run of 360, so I don't know why those are priced higher. They retailed for 39.99. I sold a couple for $60 each NEW and now I am kicking myself.

Thanks OP. Picked up the simpsons game, timeshift and NHL 09 all for 360 today.

Also saw Medal of Honor Collection for PS2. Sorry not sure if that was mentioned.

[quote name='fireworkfan']one store I went to had N64 Games for $20,they went down to $5 eventually should have bought them they were brand new and still sealed.[/QUOTE]

One of my local Wal-Mart stores, I cannot remember which one, has the collector's edition of Tabula Rasa for full retail to this day...

Its severs have been dead for 3 years now... :lol:

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']One of my local Wal-Mart stores, I cannot remember which one, has the collector's edition of Tabula Rasa for full retail to this day...

Its severs have been dead for 3 years now... :lol:[/QUOTE]

My local store has 8 of them! I didn't know the server were dead, so now it hilirious.

Who the hell thought it was necessary to stock 500 copies of the AC/DC trackpack? omfg, really? Don't get me wrong, I think AC/DC is a decent band, but both Wal-marts I went to last night had AT LEAST 40 copies of that game for 360 and PS3. They should've just given them away free with purchase of Rock Band

[quote name='pwnthee']Who the hell thought it was necessary to stock 500 copies of the AC/DC trackpack? omfg, really? Don't get me wrong, I think AC/DC is a decent band, but both Wal-marts I went to last night had AT LEAST 40 copies of that game for 360 and PS3. They should've just given them away free with purchase of Rock Band[/QUOTE]
You shoulda seen how many USED copies of those were in the cardboard bins of used games WM stores were getting in while they were trying to do the whole compete with Gamestop thing by having trade-in kiosks for games. Yeah. I think half the bin of 200-300 games were track packs.:roll:

I think Wal-Mart had a deal w/ ACDC when they released their last album black ice, so they probably had to order so many track packs as part of the deal. It all came out around the same time I believe.

I didn't even see any of the games listed in stock at my two walmarts, only tons of AC/DC track packs. For $5, that is a steal (Original price was $40) and it has some fun songs in it if you can get over the fact that they are live versions.

If I didn't already have it, I would have picked it up, but something tells me they probably won't be selling out of them anytime soon...

I hadn't see any posts on this, so I'll just ask: has anyone who's been to a store seen The Simpsons Game for PS3 clearanced? I found the platforming fairly annoying but it might be worth another go for $5.

Haven't been to my local Walmart yet, so I'm guessing AC/DC track packs will be the most likely only thing left by the time I get there in the future. Least, I won't be walking out empty handed. Used to be a lot of the original Rockband, not when I went last week.

Went in the first store looking for FEAR for PS3, surprisingly found a lone copy of dot.hack/outbreak for 5$ in a bin with some other titles. Was strange that it was marked, because they also had about 3 other copies in the display case with a 49.97$ shelf price. So that was a nice score. They also had Gallop Racer, worth picking up to keep sealed maybe?

Then the second store had the usual AC/DC clearanced out behind the glass, but towards the bottom they had a cluster of games all randomly priced. I spotted FEAR with a 30$ price tag. Asked an associate to please scan it, and yep, 5$. His reaction was great:)

All in all, a good trip. Maybe stopping at 2 more stores today or tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JohnnyDeLicious']If anyone finds a stash of WarioWares, I would love to get two copies for gifts. No Wal Marts by me.[/QUOTE]

My 2 stores have a lot of these.

damn i hope if i go 2moro im not late to the party? im working at 11am but could go down there at like 10am and see if mine is doing it too. any list of which games are clearance? like from all your observations? i think only battle revolution would interest me at the moment, and even then not necessarily since id probly never play it but itd be an addition to my game collection

My walmart didn't have a single $5 game :( although, half of the shelves were empty....thanks for the heads up regardless! Always a great find :D

Hey op think you can update the first post with a current list. Might help others snag some goodies if they don't have to search the whole thread for the games.

Also thanks for this. I've got my eye on somethings. My Walmart was scanning in games as I left. I'll check back tomorrow.

I stopped by my local WM for some $5 clearance goodness and left disappointed. Saw a copy of AC/DC but I'm not interested in that. Grabbed a bunch of games I was interested in off the shelf and went to the self scan. "Yeah, it broke and we never replaced it". Jankie. I had the guy scan my stack..."those should all be $19.99". Sure enough they were.

I did find a copy of R-Type: Final for the PS2 at $15. :roll:

Hit the jackpot at one store. 6 Wario Ware Smooth Moves. Plus 10+ the Simpsons for the xbox. However Vampire Rain was out of stock and .Hack Outbreak was still $50. Bought the last 4 Wario Ware Smooth Moves at another one since I didn't want to have to go back to that side of town for them.

As expected, about 100 AC/DC track packs, and other assorted crap.
I saw Mortal Kombat Kollection in the $5 section, but it turned out to be $20 when scanned. :(

i dont think all walmarts are participating in this... i literally scanned some of teh games ppl have been mentioning in the thread...fear 3 dantes inferno red dead undead all were 19.96 not for 5 lol.. even the active sports 2 which was in the clearance section was priced for 10 bucks instead of 5 like some ppl here are saying.. so its not YMMV depending on the stock, cuz the stocks there but the prices arent..

I've got you all beat I think my wall mart still has a copy of Ken Bridget Jr's Smuggest for the SNES. LOL if ever remember to take my phone with me next time I go ill take a picture... its at60$ btw.

I don't know if anyone ever reported EA active 2 as being $5...its been reported at $10, and was that price at the 4-5 stores I saw it at. Some of the other games you mentioned I don't remember seeing reported, as well. Red Dead Undead Nightmare was reportedly found by someone but it was $7-8, not $5.

[quote name='sgaldis']I don't know if anyone ever reported EA active 2 as being $5...its been reported at $10, and was that price at the 4-5 stores I saw it at. Some of the other games you mentioned I don't remember seeing reported, as well. Red Dead Undead Nightmare was reportedly found by someone but it was $7-8, not $5.[/QUOTE]

Red Dead Undead Nightmare rings up for me at $20

$5
.hack, Part 3: Outbreak :ps2:
AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack :ps3: :wii: :360:
Ape Escape :psp:
Baten Kaitos Origins :gc:
Battalion Wars 2 :wii:
Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WW2 :ps3:
Cabela's Big Game Hunter '10 :360:
Daxter :psp:
F.E.A.R. :ps3:
F.E.A.R. Files :ps3: :360:
FIFA Soccer 08 :ps2: :ps3: :wii:
FIFA Soccer 10 :ps2: :ps3:
Gallop Racer 2006 :ps2:
Madden NFL 2006
Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition :ps3:
Madden NFL 09
Medal of Honor Collection :ps2:
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption :wii:
Monsters vs. Aliens :wii:
NCAA Football 2009 :wii:
NHL 2009 :360:
NHL 2010
NPPL Championship Paintball 2009 :wii:
Odama (with Microphone) :gc:
Pokemon Battle Revolution :wii:
Rapala Fishing Frenzy 2009 :360:
Secret Agent Clank :psp:
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology :ps2:
The Gunstringer :360:
The Simpsons Game :360:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 :ps2:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Wii Motion Plus Bundle :wii:
Timeshift :ps3: :360:
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 :ps3:
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune :ps3:
Vampire Rain
Vanquish :360:
WarioWare: Smooth Moves :wii:
Wipeout Pure :psp:
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009 :ps3:

$8
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

$10
Bayonetta :360:
EA Sports Active 2 Bundle :ps3: :wii: :360:

I went to five Walmarts hoping for Warioware and a few others. Found ACDC tracks and a single Bayonetta. Bleh.

Also found a hack/outbreak. Brought it up - $50.00 - bleh.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back