oops

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']i konw this is stupid to ask, but this is only in the new orleans area?[/QUOTE]

yes
otherwise, this thread would be 99999999999999 pages long

[quote name='raveneyes']and it seems they are trying to fuck gametrader over, awesome I'm all for that. heh I didn't talk to him about work stuff. apperantly the dm is pissed at some GT promotion. don't expect this to last long tho.

~b[/QUOTE]

I never even thought of that - now it seems reasonable
Althought the EB/GS in Hammond seem to get along with GameTrader since GT will take shit..uh, 'quality past-gen merchandise' that EB won't touch with a ten foot pole :whistle2:s plus, EB's trade-in on newer stuff is only a few bucks less than GT with a much superior selection.

[quote name='twiztidjester']so who all is going todaY?[/quote]

I was actually just checking this thread to see when you were going (you mentioned it yesterday). What time you heading out? I'm not personally going, but I'd love to know if the deal was true.

I just called the Laplace GameStop and this deal was confirmed. I asked for how long, the guy said he didn't know but it would be good all day today and they close at 9pm. I will be going there about 8 pm after I go to a wedding reception in New Orleans and will be on my way home to Hammond( where there is no deal).

[quote name='Scorch']I was actually just checking this thread to see when you were going (you mentioned it yesterday). What time you heading out? I'm not personally going, but I'd love to know if the deal was true.[/quote]
Are you serious? Do you see the giant receipt picture on the front page? I have the original pics that are much larger that I can post if you want.

[quote name='Scorch']I was actually just checking this thread to see when you were going (you mentioned it yesterday). What time you heading out? I'm not personally going, but I'd love to know if the deal was true.[/QUOTE]

i got called into work so i am going tonight around 6:30 or 7

it's for store credit only, for cash they'd give the normal amount minus the normal 20%(if they even still give cash, I'm not sure)

I'm not really interested in trading in stuff that isn't mine, sorry.

[quote name='zackattack']Are you serious? Do you see the giant receipt picture on the front page? I have the original pics that are much larger that I can post if you want.[/quote]

Oh no, I saw it, but the fact that it's hosted on a Cox members page with username "wtfhax", titled "lol.jpg" didn't really fill me with confidence. No offense or anything.

[quote name='zackattack']Nothing you can say would offend me.[/QUOTE]

you're a stupid idiot.
no one here likes you so get lost.

just kidding
:)

[quote name='twiztidjester']WooHoo it is true while i was there i ran in to 2 CAGs great guys. i made $572

[/QUOTE]
Holy Shit!!

I am sooo jealous of you right now :lol:

[quote name='whoknows']Holy Shit!!

I am sooo jealous of you right now :lol:[/QUOTE]

wait till guessed gets on he had four big ass boxes of games.

[quote name='twiztidjester']wait till guessed gets on he had four big ass boxes of games.[/quote]

I just hope he makes it down there before the deal ends. Last I heard, he was driving down early this afternoon. If he gets in there, he's gonna clean up big time.

[quote name='Scorch']I just hope he makes it down there before the deal ends. Last I heard, he was driving down early this afternoon. If he gets in there, he's gonna clean up big time.[/QUOTE]

he was there when i was there

[quote name='twiztidjester']he was there when i was there[/quote]

Wow, he got down there pretty fast. He's going to have some insane amount of credit.

Cripes, just use that amount for a PS3 preorder or 360 games for the next year or something.. good god, I wish I lived close, I could trade in about 75 games...

[quote name='zackattack']well I shouldn't have posted this apparently, my friend is pretty upset. Please lock/delete, and expect this deal to be over soon.[/QUOTE]

huh?!

[quote name='twiztidjester']i think he got in trouble.[/QUOTE]

got in trouble for what?!
posting a deal that was advertised in store?! (doesn't that ruin the definition of advertisement?!)
does the op's friend own that gamestop or something?!
does the manager of that gamestop not realize that how much crap people will be trading in at these prices?! (If i was closed enough, I would probably trade in 99% of my current generation games/system. I'm sure that I'll get back more money than what I originally paid)

[quote name='wbc1228']got in trouble for what?!
posting a deal that was advertised in store?! (doesn't that ruin the definition of advertisement?!)
does the op's friend own that gamestop or something?!
does the manager of that gamestop not realize that how much crap people will be trading in at these prices?! (If i was closed enough, I would probably trade in 99% of my current generation games/system. I'm sure that I'll get back more money than what I originally paid)[/QUOTE]

well it is not truly advertised they didnt have any signage

I got $318 in credit, I was very happy when I left. I may go back tomorrow and bring my PS2 slim and all my PS2 games.I may also bring my ds in( if I can get my wife to agree to it, she has been playing NSMB nonstop) to preorder a ds lite.
I am sure guessed will be part owner in the esplanade store with all the games he had. I can't believe he had so many games. I would love to know how much he got and what time he got out of the store. They had to close the store earlier to take in all the games. Good stuff in my opinion.

[quote name='bluenatas09']I can't believe I didn't go out there today...geez, oh well. Hopefully it stays up for another day or two.[/QUOTE]

if you go today let me know if it is still on.

[quote name='projecteightysix']poop, nobody quoted the OP... what is this deal?[/QUOTE]

high trade in prices at two of the ebgames over in New Orleans. the trade in value is $5 less than what they charge for a used item. i guess that store is losing a lot of money and the op's friend is somehow connected to that store.

[quote name='Scorch']HAHAHAHA! Yeah, that sounds like Guessed. Holy crap, he's gonna have so much credit.[/QUOTE]

This thread has to stay open until we find out how much he got.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Sounds like a glitch to end all glitches.[/quote]

This was no glitch, it lasted more than one day.

Anyone have a picture of the original receipt? I saw Jester's, I wanted to see the OP's again

[quote name='Scorch']This was no glitch, it lasted more than one day.

Anyone have a picture of the original receipt? I saw Jester's, I wanted to see the OP's again[/QUOTE]

it wasnt a glitch they have to manually change the prices.

[quote name='twiztidjester']it wasnt a glitch they have to manually change the prices.[/quote]
That sounds more like a corrupt employee than anything else.. or a corrupt manager trying to boost his trades or something.. it'd explain why the person got upset that the OP posted the deal..

[quote name='Scorch']That sounds more like a corrupt employee than anything else.. or a corrupt manager trying to boost his trades or something.. it'd explain why the person got upset that the OP posted the deal..[/QUOTE]

i went in again and another manager was doing it.

[quote name='BABETOOTH']As of right now, can anyone confirm if this is still going on, or is it dead ???
Thanks in advance !!![/QUOTE]
I'm not really sure what you hope to do with this deal since you live in NY...unless you know someone down in NO.

First, I'd like to post that my GF is awesome to have agreed to the trip from Nashville to New Orleans.

Secondly, I would like to apologize to the OP and his friend. It was never my intention to get anyone in trouble, and if I had known that would be the result, I would have stayed home.

To those speculating that EB/GS are going to lose a ton of money on this, you are wrong. They may make slightly less than usual, but there will not be any huge loss. I received credit -- credit which must be spent at an eb/gs. Sure, they paid money for the 360 that I spent the credit on, but they will make all or most of that back selling the games I traded. They may have to lower the prices on some of them, and that is where any minor loss they might have would be generated.

The trade the first night (Saturday) was a mess. I had packed up as much as I could in the trunk of my GF's Volvo. I tried to sort through some of it before packing, but I didn't have time to do much. Most of it was still boxed up from our recent move, anyway. By the time I finished loading the car and we left (about noon), I was dripping sweat. Not a good way to start an 8-hour road trip. We drove down there, went to the wrong store at first (one a little farther down the same road), turned around, and got to the right store (in the mall) at about 8:20 PM. I brought in a couple of boxes full of games, plus a brand new in box Xbox (I had bought it as a spare, but never ended up using it. I would have traded my other one, but it is on loan to a friend), then went back out to the car a few more times for some more boxes. I'd like to apologize to any fellow CAGs for any odor I may have been emitting, I usually don't smell like that (recall the sweating earlier and the 8+ hours in the car).

Once the employees saw how much we had, they closed the doors, and only the people who were already in the store were helped. We only did one transaction (66 games and the Xbox) that night, we didn't want to keep them any later than we already had (I think it was past 10 when we finally got out of there). The employees were very cool about the whole thing, and one of them even used a handtruck to help us get our remaining games back to the car. I ended up trading some items that I hadn't intended to trade, and some that I just wouldn't have traded for the amount that I got, but overall, I was pleased. Many, possibly most, of the games that I traded were still sealed, and all were complete, as I hadn't gotten a chance to play them. The process of trading was that they printed out a list of what I had brought in, marked them in red on the printout, and manually adjust each of them to $5 under the used price -- this was not a glitch, it was a deliberate promotion.

We drove around a while, found a motel that accepted pets (I forgot to mention earlier that we brought our 3 year old white lab), and I made several trips between the car and the second floor, bringing all the boxes into the motel room. Then, I took a much needed shower. I spent the next couple of hours, and a couple hours after I got up in the morning, online, researching the ebgames.com/gamestop.com used prices for each game that I had remaining, and deciding which ones I would try to trade, and which ones I wouldn't. I checked half.com for some of them, if I thought that they should be worth substantially more than the eb/gs price. I ended up with less than half of my games in my "to trade" boxes, and the rest went into the "don't trade" boxes.

The second day we went to the other store (a GS) that was running the promotion. It went much better, partly because of the research I had done, partly because the GS computer system seemed more capable of handling the adjustments, and partly because I arrived at the store when they opened and were empty. They wouldn't let me and my GF trade the few duplicates we had, which kind of sucked since we are two separate people, but I understand the reasoning, and I wasn't going to push it. The GS system fits far fewer trades into a single transaction, though, so we ended up with 5 or 6 transactions at that second store. Also, where we got the credit on an edge card from the EB, for the GS trades, we were given paper slips indicating our trade credit amounts -- we better not lose those. I still ended up making a few poor trades that second day -- I would not have intentionally trade WarioLand 3 for $1, but that's life. Also, I am kicking myself for not bringing my DS to trade. I had planned on my GF and I getting a Lite, but hadn't considered both of us getting Lites.

After all the trades (just after noon), we went down to the French Quarter, got some lunch, walked the dog down by the water, then headed back towards Nashville around 4PM.

--
1. I have totalled it up, and we now have about $1600 trade credit .
2. I calculated that the trip would cost us roughly $300. $100 for gas, $130 for a motel room that accepted pets, and about $70 for food and incidentals. That calculation was correct until we got within 50 miles of home on our return trip, and my GF got a $172 speeding ticket. Ouch :wall:
3. I am very tired.
4. Again, I apologize to the OP and his friend, I did not expect anyone to get in trouble over this.
5. To be perfectly honest, I probably could have gotten more through ebay and half.com, especially after deducting expenses, and considering that I would have gotten actual money that I could have spent anywhere, but this was an experience. We had never been to NO, and we wanted to look around a bit. It just sucks that the trip ended so badly with the speeding ticket.

[quote name='guessed']First, I'd like to post that my GF is awesome to have agreed to the trip from Nashville to New Orleans.

Secondly, I would like to apologize to the OP and his friend. It was never my intention to get anyone in trouble, and if I had known that would be the result, I would have stayed home.

To those speculating that EB/GS are going to lose a ton of money on this, you are wrong. They may make slightly less than usual, but there will not be any huge loss. I received credit -- credit which must be spent at an eb/gs. Sure, they paid money for the 360 that I spent the credit on, but they will make all or most of that back selling the games I traded. They may have to lower the prices on some of them, and that is where any minor loss they might have would be generated.

The trade the first night (Saturday) was a mess. I had packed up as much as I could in the trunk of my GF's Volvo. I tried to sort through some of it before packing, but I didn't have time to do much. Most of it was still boxed up from our recent move, anyway. By the time I finished loading the car and we left (about noon), I was dripping sweat. Not a good way to start an 8-hour road trip. We drove down there, went to the wrong store at first (one a little farther down the same road), turned around, and got to the right store (in the mall) at about 8:20 PM. I brought in a couple of boxes full of games, plus a brand new in box Xbox (I had bought it as a spare, but never ended up using it. I would have traded my other one, but it is on loan to a friend), then went back out to the car a few more times for some more boxes. I'd like to apologize to any fellow CAGs for any odor I may have been emitting, I usually don't smell like that (recall the sweating earlier and the 8+ hours in the car).

Once the employees saw how much we had, they closed the doors, and only the people who were already in the store were helped. We only did one transaction (66 games and the Xbox) that night, we didn't want to keep them any later than we already had (I think it was past 10 when we finally got out of there). The employees were very cool about the whole thing, and one of them even used a handtruck to help us get our remaining games back to the car. I ended up trading some items that I hadn't intended to trade, and some that I just wouldn't have traded for the amount that I got, but overall, I was pleased. Many, possibly most, of the games that I traded were still sealed, and all were complete, as I hadn't gotten a chance to play them. The process of trading was that they printed out a list of what I had brought in, marked them in red on the printout, and manually adjust each of them to $5 under the used price -- this was not a glitch, it was a deliberate promotion.

We drove around a while, found a motel that accepted pets (I forgot to mention earlier that we brought our 3 year old white lab), and I made several trips between the car and the second floor, bringing all the boxes into the motel room. Then, I took a much needed shower. I spent the next couple of hours, and a couple hours after I got up in the morning, online, researching the ebgames.com/gamestop.com used prices for each game that I had remaining, and deciding which ones I would try to trade, and which ones I wouldn't. I checked half.com for some of them, if I thought that they should be worth substantially more than the eb/gs price. I ended up with less than half of my games in my "to trade" boxes, and the rest went into the "don't trade" boxes.

The second day we went to the other store (a GS) that was running the promotion. It went much better, partly because of the research I had done, partly because the GS computer system seemed more capable of handling the adjustments, and partly because I arrived at the store when they opened and were empty. They wouldn't let me and my GF trade the few duplicates we had, which kind of sucked since we are two separate people, but I understand the reasoning, and I wasn't going to push it. The GS system fits far fewer trades into a single transaction, though, so we ended up with 5 or 6 transactions at that second store. Also, where we got the credit on an edge card from the EB, for the GS trades, we were given paper slips indicating our trade credit amounts -- we better not lose those. I still ended up making a few poor trades that second day -- I would not have intentionally trade WarioLand 3 for $1, but that's life. Also, I am kicking myself for not bringing my DS to trade. I had planned on my GF and I getting a Lite, but hadn't considered both of us getting Lites.

After all the trades (just after noon), we went down to the French Quarter, got some lunch, walked the dog down by the water, then headed back towards Nashville around 4PM.

--
2. I calculated that the trip would cost us roughly $300. $100 for gas, $130 for a motel room that accepted pets, and about $70 for food and incidentals. That calculation was correct until we got within 50 miles of home on our return trip, and my GF got a $172 speeding ticket. Ouch :wall:
3. I am very tired.
4. Again, I apologize to the OP and his friend, I did not expect anyone to get in trouble over this.
5. To be perfectly honest, I probably could have gotten more through ebay and half.com, especially after deducting expenses, and considering that I would have gotten actual money that I could have spent anywhere, but this was an experience. We had never been to NO, and we wanted to look around a bit. It just sucks that the trip ended so badly with the speeding ticket.[/quote]

I am quoting this because this is the single most fascinating post I have ever read on CAG. Seriously.

First, you are a lucky man to have a GF willing to do this with you.

Second, you are more motivated than I ever could be.

Third, I would have killed to see the experience documented on film. That would have made a killer youtube video.

[quote name='speedy05']I wish that I could figure out exactly what happened here[/quote] Insane trade-in prices at two Eb games in the New Orleans area. Isn't it obvious?

The deal was that you get only $5 less of its used price.

[quote name='guessed']First, I'd like to post that my GF is awesome to have agreed to the trip from Nashville to New Orleans.

--
3. I am very tired.
5. To be perfectly honest, I probably could have gotten more through ebay and half.com, especially after deducting expenses, and considering that I would have gotten actual money that I could have spent anywhere, but this was an experience. We had never been to NO, and we wanted to look around a bit. It just sucks that the trip ended so badly with the speeding ticket.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I got a free week to kill.

According to Mapquest: Total Est. Time: 16 hours, 34 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1068.54 miles

Hmmm.

Dave

I've been thinking about it, and having a trade in deal of that caliber without advertising it is retarded, imo. I'm still leaving my pic down and not reposting the info I originally posted, but don't feel bad guessed.

I went back today, except I went to the GS in Laplace instead of the EB at West Esplanade. I got 500 on this trip and 318 on Saturday. I agree with guessed that GS was way more efficient than EB. The guy at GS said they have 2 ways to do the trade-ins and they didn't know why EB did it the way they did. I had the same guy that did the trade ins for guessed. The oddest trade I had was Dance Dance Mario. They do not take the dance pad(I don't know why) and they gave me $40 for the game only. If anyone is interested just call the 2 stores and ask them if they are still giving extra credit on trade ins. They will tell you, they told me Sat. and today. My brother-in-law is going tomorrow if the deal is still on. As far as the store losing on this deal the employee said that this looks good for there store because of the high number of trade ins that they have. I still may trade in my ds to get the ds lite.
Thank you zackattack for the heads up on this deal and thanks to the GS employees that were so cool and nice.

Wow I have to say I been keeping my eye on this thread and have to say congrats to everyone who has been able to get in on this deal. I am also surprised to hear everyon say how helpful and nice the employees have been. Seen a few people say it was slow, but that can be expected with large trades. Seriously how many times have you read about a gamestop/eb employee being nice and helpful in one of the threads.

As to the deal itself I don't imagine they are really losing money. Think about it Maybe you trade in 20 games they typically sell for $500 used and they give you $400 credit in the deal. The key here is it is credit, so anything you are purchasing with the credit has been marked up. Even if you bought a xbox 360 with a low mark up they still didn't have $400 tied up in inventory. Plus I imagine the person getting a xbox 360 would want a few games and maybe accessories to go with it and spend additional cash at the store.

I imagine its driving up traffic and sales for the stores. Now its true people walking away with $500 in credit probably wasn't what they intended, but they probably had there reasons for the deal. As the employees told someone above it probably shows the store in good favor with the P&L although the numbers only show part of the story.

bread's done
Back