OTTer for iPhone, Xbox 360, Playstation3, Nokia N95 for being your pleasure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm. Ok so I need an HD Box. If it doesn't have HDMI spot is that still ok? But I want to get one AND order a cable from monoprice too. Hmm. I'm glad I asked

[quote name='wubb']The 37" Olevia LCD reviewed pretty well in Consumer Reports. Although it was a different model than the one our Target currently stocks. Kind of common with these things that have new models released all the time. PITA.[/quote]If they did the 537H, it's essentially the same as the 237T at Target. If they did another set, then I'd have to go back to the Olevia site to see how it compares.

[quote name='lilboo']This is such a dumb question (but at least I'm admitting to it). But I don't need anything special to watch TV.. right? Just plug it in..and.. that should be it. Yes yes?[/quote]That TV has a tuner built-into it, so you can watch shows OTA (over the air). A cable box is a preferred option, obviously.

[quote name='Maklershed']Lilboo - If you have Comcast I recommend you get a dvr box. First of all the dvr is just the most awesome thing ever .. it's like Tivo but easier to deal with and the best part is that the hd signal is provided for free through it. So it's like two pay services in one for only $9.99.[/quote]The DVR from Comcast is a piece of crap compared to a Tivo. Yes, you're paying a lower point of entry, though it doesn't hold a candle to a Tivo.

If you get a Tivo HD with two cablecards in it, you wouldn't need the cable box nor the DVR from Comcast. Plus, you can pull shows from the Tivo and watch them on your PC, for starters.

[quote name='wubb']Yeah, you should plan to upgrade to HD service from your TV provider ASAP or there isn't much point to getting an HD set IMO. Hopefully you'll get a box with an HDMI out.[/quote]The cable provider here, Charter, won't give you an HDMI-capable cable box. Only their DVR's do HDMI out.

[quote name='lilboo']Hm. Ok so I need an HD Box. If it doesn't have HDMI spot is that still ok? But I want to get one AND order a cable from monoprice too. Hmm. I'm glad I asked[/quote]If the box doesn't have HDMI out, then you'd need component cables, which Monoprice.com also sells.

[quote name='lilboo']Hm. Ok so I need an HD Box. If it doesn't have HDMI spot is that still ok? But I want to get one AND order a cable from monoprice too. Hmm. I'm glad I asked[/QUOTE]

Sometimes they'll give you an HDMI cable with the box, but it's pretty cheap from monoprice anyway.

Any HD box will have either HDMI or component output. You can get an HD signal from component so it's not the end of the world but HDMI is preferable. I bet most every place does HDMI by now.

[quote name='TFN']Time Warner needs more HD channels.

Theres shit shitty movie network where they show tons and tons of crapfest HD movies like ''D2: The Mighty Ducks" and "Renaissance Man" :([/quote]

I heard rumours TWC was in the process of adding Food as well as a couple others, but right now, it seems to be mainly downstate (in my area).

[quote name='TFN']Do you have Time Warner, boo?

All of their HD boxes have the HDMI port.[/QUOTE]

Nah just Comcast.

[quote name='wubb']Sometimes they'll give you an HDMI cable with the box, but it's pretty cheap from monoprice anyway.

Any HD box will have either HDMI or component output. You can get an HD signal from component so it's not the end of the world but HDMI is preferable. I bet most every place does HDMI by now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just ordered Wii componet cables.. $8.78 WITH shipping. That's crazy! I'll wait to order an HDMI cable, just in case. I can't believe Comcast (or any cable company) would give you a box meant for HD and not give you component or HDMI cables.. :lol:

I don't really mind Oddball or Crazy King - hell I like Crazy King and it's usually pretty quick - every now and then but about 80% of people seem to veto them every time. :whistle2:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back