Pacific Rim

I really don't think it was filmed in IMAX as I said from viewing in the other day in IMAX 3D.  It might have been upscaled to IMAX..but that's a no no.

So if you can save your money and see it in 2d/3d. 

Also, I don't see how a sequel is impossible. There would need to be a reason to rebuild the Jaegers, but there's no guarantee the Kaiju's Masters are wiped out. They're been around since the dinosaurs, no way all of them were concentrated in that one plant.

From what I have been able to find it was not shot on IMAX.  It was also not even shot in 3D, but up converted later on.  Also a lot of the film was edited out so it could hit the 2 hour mark.  I wonder if their will be any chance of that coming out in a directors cut when it hits DVD and BluRay.

Got a buddy who's taking me (yes that means paying for me) to try out D-Box after I told him how much fun the IMAX 3D was. I'm pretty excited if it's that much better than IMAX.

With the size of everything I think seeing it on a large screen is a must.  I could do with out the 3D, but everywhere you go you have to see 3D to see IMAX now a days.  In the articles I read del Toro had no interest in shooting 3D due to the size of the Jaegers and Kaiju.  After he saw a test print in 3D he loved it and wanted it converted.  So he did approve it after seeing some of it in 3D.  The issue with shooting in 3D and IMAX was that it would have been shot at 4K so to render it in 3D would have caused an issue with processing power.  I think I read that this was shot at 2k resolution.  

See the only reason why you would want to shoot in IMAX is for those grand landscape/cityscape scenes like in TDK/TDKR.  All the K vs J shots are CG from the start and we don't really see much of backgrounds because it's mostly raining (with the exception of the hong kong beat down scenes.)

Watching it in Rave Xtreme then IMAX didn't give me a bigger wow seeing it in IMAX.. As a matter of fact it would seem that the Rave Extreme screen is just as big as the IMAX screen.  Maybe if I sat closer than sitting all the way in the back it might have awed me more, but the last time I sat in the near front was when we saw Green Hornet in IMAX 3d... big mistake as it was too close.

The Rave Extreme screen being just as bis as the IMAX might be why you didn't get any different wow factor.  Around here you have IMAX and you have a screen that may be about half the size give or take.  That is why movies like this I see on the IMAX.  It would just be nice to not have to pay for the 3D.

went to see this last night,and wasn't as blown away. It was a great movie though, but i guess I was expecting more, especially after reading how this movie was so amazing and the movie of the year...

Why do Americans just not love piloted giant robots?
They do........but I think what happened was it just got released too close to DM2, Turbo, GU2, MU. I think that's what hurt it. It's just crawling towards making back it's money. That's a bad sign for a sequel :whistle2:( Unless Del Toro can convince the studio other wise, there may not be a sequel.

They do........but I think what happened was it just got released too close to DM2, Turbo, GU2, MU. I think that's what hurt it. It's just crawling towards making back it's money. That's a bad sign for a sequel :whistle2:( Unless Del Toro can convince the studio other wise, there may not be a sequel.
To be fair, the film is doing better in the foreign markets then in the US. At this rate I Think it'll break even and possibly make a bit more, but it'll be dependent on DVD and Blu sales if we can get a sequel.

The time this came out was just bad.  I'm not really sure what week would have been better, but the past two weeks were not it.  As much as I would like another I don't see it happening.  

I would describe this film as epic. It's a shame it's made crap at the domestic box office.

Plot is iffy but what a fun movie!

Seen it in normal non 3D now for a total of three times I've seen the movie now. Yup, it's still awesome and my friend enjoyed it more then she thought she would.

The time this came out was just bad. I'm not really sure what week would have been better, but the past two weeks were not it. As much as I would like another I don't see it happening.
I'm not sure what a better time would've been honestly. If goddamn idiots choose Grown Ups 2 over this then really I have no hope for the movie going public in this country as a whole. Like movies of the past few years that have found bombed in the box office, but were amazing (Dredd, Scott Pilgrim spring to mind) I can blame on shit marketing, but this movie was perfectly advertised as big awesome giant robots fucking shit up without Shia LeBeouf. It should've worked in that sense alone, but nope somehow people just don't goddamn get it.

Seen it in normal non 3D now for a total of three times I've seen the movie now. Yup, it's still awesome and my friend enjoyed it more then she thought she would.

I'm not sure what a better time would've been honestly. If goddamn idiots choose Grown Ups 2 over this then really I have no hope for the movie going public in this country as a whole. Like movies of the past few years that have found bombed in the box office, but were amazing (Dredd, Scott Pilgrim spring to mind) I can blame on shit marketing, but this movie was perfectly advertised as big awesome giant robots fucking shit up without Shia LeBeouf. It should've worked in that sense alone, but nope somehow people just don't goddamn get it.
Like I said, I'm not sure when a better time would have been for this to have come out. I'm just wondering how many kids wanted to see this but their dumb ass parents wanted to see grown ups 2 instead. I know as a kid I would have wanted to see robots fuck shit up instead of yet another Adam Sandler movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNwECmiJNFw

I'll just leave this here. On the good news though is the movie will probably make back it's money since China and Japan haven't opened yet and I pray they're smarter then American audiences so we can get the sequel. I Still want Gipsies combining together to make one big ass robot to happen.

Oh good...it did very well overseas.  I kinda tinkered with the whole merge Jaegers into one, but the cool factor would have lasted for a second before everyone in the audience would have laughed out loud. :(

I really hope this comes out in steelbook form.  Can't wait for the UV copy to come with it to watch it anywhere I want to with wifi :p

Oh good...it did very well overseas. I kinda tinkered with the whole merge Jaegers into one, but the cool factor would have lasted for a second before everyone in the audience would have laughed out loud. :(

I really hope this comes out in steelbook form. Can't wait for the UV copy to come with it to watch it anywhere I want to with wifi :p
I'm just hoping that it comes in some for of director's edition with the extra stuff that was cut. That is if it was filmed. I'm definitely getting whatever edition comes with the most content. If I can get ones that is a steelbook with everything I will. If not I will have to talk myself out of double dipping.

I think I'm going to go see it again with my youngest (my oldest doesn't want to see it), and this time in IMAX 3D. I figure we should see it that way while we have the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going tomorrow to see it again in IMAX.  I say you should make your oldest go see it.  If they don't go they are grounded.

You know what's funny?  Every time I finish seeing another movie I will pop in to this one to see where they are in the movie and 3 times already I walk into it when Newt is about to get grabbed by the Monster.

I'm seriously digging this Japanese poster that Del Toro asked Katsuya Terada, illustrator of Blood: The Last Vampire, to make.

pacific-rim.jpg

I personally think this movie is going to do really well in Japan.

I just came back from seeing this again.  Sadly maybe only 5 people including myself were there to see it.  I really hope this does well in Japan so we get a sequel.  

Well it broke over 200 million so it made it's money back and then some. 

Anyone else having trouble finding the figures at TRU?  I was lucky to find CT but not GD. :\

Well it broke over 200 million so it made it's money back and then some.

Anyone else having trouble finding the figures at TRU? I was lucky to find CT but not GD. :\
They're on Amazon as well.

Same place I ordered the art book, which looks amazing (backordered at the moment), plus the soundtrack on MP3.

They're on Amazon as well.

Same place I ordered the art book, which looks amazing (backordered at the moment), plus the soundtrack on MP3.
Cool... yeah I should have ordered the book when I got the soundtrack. I will get it later. Toro better film it in real IMAX next time...not this Digital IMAX Upscale bullshit.

I will probably see it in normal 2d this week.

I don't usually buy movies, but I might buy this one.

Question about UV: is it possible to watch those on an Xbox? Is there a UV player on there?

OOOOOhhh DAMMMMNN!!!

Now I can't decide between that or a steelbook.... the figure version is probably going to be like 70+ and go on ebay for 200! :(

Nothing is said about a DC :whistle2:\

bread's done
Back