PARANORMAL ACTIVITY - Get the word out!

I thought it was a good movie, certainly not scare the shit out of you and make you piss yourself scary, but totally worth watching.

[quote name='the_deej']I thought it was a good movie, certainly not scare the shit out of you and make you piss yourself scary, but totally worth watching.[/QUOTE]
I agree.

[quote name='refusedchaos']both suck ether way[/QUOTE]

Not really. The 2007 ending to me was at least realistic. The current theatrical ending is so Hollywood, it makes the movie feel like a crappy teen slasher. Fast movement/loud screeching noise is such a cheap, piece of shit way to scare somebody. However, the use of noises that gradually crescendo is a great way to build tension. But when you cap it off with a loud screech that nothing would make, it ruins it. The indie version of the film didn't pull that crap. This movie would probably be a cult classic if it had stayed indie. If you haven't seen that version of the film, you should watch it to see if you truly just don't like the movie...or you don't like what Hollywood did to it.

In all honesty, I found
the idea of her getting out of bed just to stare at him for 3 hours
to be far more creepy than most of the stuff in the movie. The other moment I particularly enjoyed was when
she got pulled out of bed and dragged down the hallway.
The idea itself may have been somewhat predictable, but I think it was executed well, and was genuinely scary.

This wasn't the scariest movie of all time, but I always have to give a show of respect when filmmakers can take these incredibly simple concepts, and turn them into something entertaining. Just the fact that this film only cost $15K to make but has been given a national release is impressive as hell. I also give them credit for not using the bullshit Blair Witch/Cloverfield shaky camera as a means for making the movie more "intense".

^
exactly this movie isn't the best movie ever made or the scariest but it does a lot of good things. For example for a low ass budget they made a fantastic scary movie. It sets a great mood from start to finish. the dialog is pretty funny between the 2 actors.

For most people who dont watch horror movies...this will be scary as shit vs Texas Chainsaw, Night of the living dead, REC, Hatchet, 28 days late...etc. It has a more realism which people who dont watch zombie, slasher films can relate to. Its worth repeating... this is not the greatest horror film but for people like my sister who don't watch many horror films, she will flip watching this film and wont like going to sleep that night.

The marketing for this film was brilliant. Demand it style made it spread via word of mouth which got a lot of people interested in seeing this semi unheard of or mass marketed film (even though it had a few tvspots). You might hate it because it was so manufactured from start to finish but it did the job of getting people interested in a horror film which is rare now adays, especially for a new IP.

I am still not sure how they did that effect w/ her being dragged down the hall...it looked really good not some masking bs

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Not really. The 2007 ending to me was at least realistic. The current theatrical ending is so Hollywood, it makes the movie feel like a crappy teen slasher. Fast movement/loud screeching noise is such a cheap, piece of shit way to scare somebody. However, the use of noises that gradually crescendo is a great way to build tension. But when you cap it off with a loud screech that nothing would make, it ruins it. The indie version of the film didn't pull that crap. This movie would probably be a cult classic if it had stayed indie. If you haven't seen that version of the film, you should watch it to see if you truly just don't like the movie...or you don't like what Hollywood did to it.

In all honesty, I found
the idea of her getting out of bed just to stare at him for 3 hours
to be far more creepy than most of the stuff in the movie. The other moment I particularly enjoyed was when
she got pulled out of bed and dragged down the hallway.
The idea itself may have been somewhat predictable, but I think it was executed well, and was genuinely scary.

This wasn't the scariest movie of all time, but I always have to give a show of respect when filmmakers can take these incredibly simple concepts, and turn them into something entertaining. Just the fact that this film only cost $15K to make but has been given a national release is impressive as hell. I also give them credit for not using the bullshit Blair Witch/Cloverfield shaky camera as a means for making the movie more "intense".[/QUOTE]

those 2 scenes you spoilered i liked in the film everything else was just damn annoying.
in the end i was glad her bf died he was an ass through the whole film and deserved it. not sure if that was what they were going for but thats what i came away with.

[quote name='lokizz']those 2 scenes you spoilered i liked in the film everything else was just damn annoying.
in the end i was glad her bf died he was an ass through the whole film and deserved it. not sure if that was what they were going for but thats what i came away with.
[/QUOTE]

Even though he was an ass for most of the film, at the very end
when he heard Katie screaming, without hesitation, he jumped out of bed and ran to her, which ultimately ended up being his demise. In my opinion, he seemed like a decent guy, considering he stood by a woman who was being haunted by some demon til the very end.

Funny parody of PA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yETgkSZxmrE

Just got around to seeing it today.. it wasn't scary at all. It was actually quite boring and predictable. I like the alternate ending so much more than the theatrical.

^
i saw this at the free screening in chicago so is the alt ending where
the girl gets surrounded by cops?
if so..they did the other ending where
she stays alive after throwing the guy into the camera
maybe they did it for a possible sequel.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17821

I can see why. 15k to make a film ~100-200k in marketing making 62m at the box offices due to its amazing marketing. Why not spend a few mill to make another sequel to cash in a 20-30m boxoffice.

Yeah, the alternate ending is where
there's a scream downstairs. Micah jumps out of bed and runs downstairs and Katie returns with blood near her stomach and clutching a knife. She sits by the bed and rocks back and forth until the morning. The phone rings and it's Katie's friend/sister/mom/whoever the hell had been with her through the movie. Later on in the night, you hear the door open, the above person enters, starts with the usual "is anyone home?" stuff, turns off the alarm, and screams as she apparently discovers Micah's body. Fast forward some more and the cops are banging on the door. They come in, weapons drawn. As they slowly make their way up the stairs, a light in a distant room flicks on, then off. The cops shine their flashlight on Katie, who snaps out of her trance, and approaches the offers asking where Micah is. She has a knife in her hand. The cops see this and open fire, killing her. They continue to search the house, and it says "In memory of Micah and Katie".

So much better than the theatrical bullshit.

[quote name='the_deej']I thought it was a good movie, certainly not scare the shit out of you and make you piss yourself scary, but totally worth watching.[/QUOTE]
Yea, I think with the original ending it is a pretty good horror film. Not worth spending a bunch of money to see, but a good one to see for free.

Leaves a pretty freaky after effect though. Went home to an empty house (at night - after seeing the film) and turned on the ceiling lights in my house. Went to my room and was sitting here and heard a noise out in my living room - went out and all the ceiling lights were off and I can't turn them back on. Way to coincidental... now I'm freaked. :cry:

The movie is fake its a demon that haunts them the guy dies at the end and the girl gets possessed by the demon. OPPPS RICHARD SIMMONS WITH THE SPOILER

[quote name='MrBlonde220']The movie is fake its a demon that haunts them the guy dies at the end and the girl gets possessed by the demon. OPPPS RICHARD SIMMONS WITH THE SPOILER[/QUOTE]

Hence why it's called...A MOVIE.

Shudders at the thought of a sequel. Sequels for movies like this are always crap because they wind up being overpolished Hollywood garbage with career actors and overloaded dialog. It goes from a semi-believable documentary to a generic movie.

It was inevitable. Good movie gets overhyped on the internet and people feel disappointed and want to bash it. It's a very good film with scary moments, but certainly not the scariest of all time or the greatest of all time. But I enjoyed it for what it was and highly recommend it.

And yes, there should be no sequel. All I can think about is the Blair Witch sequel and how horrible it was.

stupid kids ruined it for me. the whole theatre was shushing/telling them to shutup. i'm swearing off going to the movies for a while again. see sig below.

otherwise i imagine i would have been scared by the movie if i saw it by myself in a theatre.

[quote name='Josef']It was inevitable. Good movie gets overhyped on the internet and people feel disappointed and want to bash it. It's a very good film with scary moments, but certainly not the scariest of all time or the greatest of all time. But I enjoyed it for what it was and highly recommend it.

And yes, there should be no sequel. All I can think about is the Blair Witch sequel and how horrible it was.[/QUOTE]

This^ Blair Witch sequel *shudders* the original ending sounds better also.

[quote name='jarvis307']stupid kids ruined it for me. the whole theatre was shushing/telling them to shutup. i'm swearing off going to the movies for a while again. see sig below.

otherwise i imagine i would have been scared by the movie if i saw it by myself in a theatre.[/QUOTE]
Yea, had a few stoners in the back that were constantly laughing. Movie theaters suck...

Here's the original 2007 ending for anyone who hasn't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux0VZOTLPHk

My favorite part:
If you watch at 5:22 the light in the furthest room turns on briefly, and then turns off. Then, the cops start making their way up the stairs.

After discovering Katie, she starts to approach them, and right as they shoot her, the door of that furthest room slams shut. Then, they say "I don't know where that came from." For a second, they think someone else is in the house, but of course, we know it's just the demon having a good time.

Such a better ending than the theater BS. This one cares more about finishing the story than scaring you/setting up a horrible sequel.

I feel like we where tricked into watching and paying for a student film.

Definitely over hyped. Dissapointed that so many people are spreading the word that its good.

[quote name='Lice']I feel like we where tricked into watching and paying for a student film.
[/QUOTE]

I'd rather pay to watch an original student film than pay to watch whatever that shitheel Michael Bay puts out. A movie like this is a lot better than Transformers 2 or X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Or whatever piece of shit Will Ferrell or Jack Black one-liner factory movies half the braindead fucktards in this country go to see in droves. The same kind of people that ask if you watch Family Guy and you say no, then the next time they see you they talk about Family Guy like they are fucking missionaries trying to convert heathens to their religion.

Sorry, bad day at work. Vacations starts NOW!:bouncy:

So did anyone else find this move more hilarious than scary? I couldnt help but bust out laughing when..

The girl got dragged down the hall

Honestly, it makes Book of Shadows look like an emmy worthy film.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I'd rather pay to watch an original student film than pay to watch whatever that shitheel Michael Bay puts out. A movie like this is a lot better than Transformers 2 or X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Or whatever piece of shit Will Ferrell or Jack Black one-liner factory movies half the braindead fucktards in this country go to see in droves. The same kind of people that ask if you watch Family Guy and you say no, then the next time they see you they talk about Family Guy like they are fucking missionaries trying to convert heathens to their religion.

Sorry, bad day at work. Vacations starts NOW!:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

to be fair damn near every movie is better than transformers 2. trans2 is that movie that for a long time people will say " yeah i know its not great but at least its not transformers 2".

for what the guy paid to make the film $15,000 its not a bad film but scary hell no. i hope to see people do more films like this however as long as they do a better job of making it seem real. the first blair witch film was awesome in that way ( except for the lame ending) but i remember seeing it shown some on ifc years ago and i thought it was real.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I'd rather pay to watch an original student film than pay to watch whatever that shitheel Michael Bay puts out. A movie like this is a lot better than Transformers 2 or X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Or whatever piece of shit Will Ferrell or Jack Black one-liner factory movies half the braindead fucktards in this country go to see in droves. The same kind of people that ask if you watch Family Guy and you say no, then the next time they see you they talk about Family Guy like they are fucking missionaries trying to convert heathens to their religion.

Sorry you had a bad day at work.

I Dont think I would call this original by any means. Having a POV camera has been done numerous times and nothing that happened in the film was original. Same stuff in a cheap package.

Yes you pointed out all bad films, but I dont think this one is the counter to those. If you wanted to make a point against transformers etc. why not go see something that is created with an ounce of intelligence. A nice independent movie, not screaming holding a camera.

So america is seeing this in "Droves" so now isnt this as bad as the hollywood movies you are mentioning? Does this movie take more than a "half brained retard" to understand it? I don't think so. I think this movie is right next to wolverine on the special bus.

[quote name='Bezerker']So did anyone else find this move more hilarious than scary? I couldnt help but bust out laughing when..

Honestly, it makes Book of Shadows look like an emmy worthy film.[/QUOTE]

I did. This movie was the biggest piece of sh*t I have seen in a long time. I'm sorry but if you thought this movie was good/scary....well then....I don't want to say it. This movie just sucked a big fat d.

[quote name='Lice']Sorry you had a bad day at work.

I Dont think I would call this original by any means. Having a POV camera has been done numerous times and nothing that happened in the film was original. Same stuff in a cheap package.

Yes you pointed out all bad films, but I dont think this one is the counter to those. If you wanted to make a point against transformers etc. why not go see something that is created with an ounce of intelligence. A nice independent movie, not screaming holding a camera.

So america is seeing this in "Droves" so now isnt this as bad as the hollywood movies you are mentioning? Does this movie take more than a "half brained retard" to understand it? I don't think so. I think this movie is right next to wolverine on the special bus.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever heard of a concept movie? By referring to this as a "student film" it's like you're holding its lack of huge production against it when that's the ENTIRE point of the movie. Whether you liked the subject matter or not shouldn't detract from the concept of a couple trying to figure out the strange phenomena occurring in their home, and trying to capture it on tape.

Also, calling it "screaming holding a camera" makes it sound like you haven't even seen the film because there is really none of that in the movie. 95% of the movie is shot on a tripod. I actually commended it for NOT doing the shaky camera/heavy breathing crap that Blair Witch/Cloverfield did. It might make the movie "boring" to some, but sometimes what you don't see is just as good as what you do see. I believe Alfred Hitchcock said somethign to that effect.

Yes, maybe the material isn't the MOST original in the world (when I first saw the trailer, my thoughts immediately went to Ghosthunters), but there hasn't been a movie like this, and I thought many of the scenes were done well. If you have no background in filmmaking, then maybe you can't appreciate the subtle nuances of the film. But hey, that just makes you "Average Joe Movie-goer", so maybe your opinion is a better consensus than mine is. But at least have the intelligence to recognize why some people might enjoy the movie. I doubt anybody here gives a shit whether you liked it. But that doesn't mean you have to go around bashing anyone who did.

[quote name='CAG 79']Whoever said that must hardly ever watch any horror movies or is simply a pussy. This movie isn't scary AT ALL. Unless you're scared of shadows and loud noises, there's nothing scary about this movie. I was expecting more but I should've known better.[/QUOTE]

I would like to apologize for disagreeing with you. You were right.

So... what'd everyone expect from a movie with a lower budget then most student films and filmed in one house with two actors? I mean, I guess you can take it out of context and rate it against Cloverfield or the Dark Knight. But, I don't really think it is necessary.

Besides the ending, I don't think there was any apparent flaws. It definitely is not a great movie, but I don't understand how people can think, "it was the worst thing I have ever seen!".

I mean even with its SUPER LOW budget it is still better than 80% of horror films out.

That's not the point. The point is every one and their grandma is hyping the shit out of this movie. Go to bloodydisgusting.com. He can't stop talking about how great it is. I don't care if it had a $50 million budget. THE MOVIE SUCKED BIG TIME. Closing doors and loud noises are scary....if your like 12.

[quote name='slickkill77']That's not the point. The point is every one and their grandma is hyping the shit out of this movie. Go to bloodydisgusting.com. He can't stop talking about how great it is. I don't care if it had a $50 million budget. THE MOVIE SUCKED BIG TIME. Closing doors and loud noises are scary....if your like 12.[/QUOTE]
Huh? So as you get older your fears are refined?

What is your new "mature" fear? Pickles with hats?

What are you talking about? I'm not even sure how to respond to this.

So your scared by the same things now that you were scared by when you were 12? As you get older you get a reality check. Things aren't as scary. What's confusing?

And are you saying that you liked the film because it was a low budget film? Again. I could care less if a film has a big budget or not. If its good, its good. Saw for instance was good and it had a low budget. This film was not.

Perhaps you missed the main point of my post/rant. I'll reiterate: Paranormal Activity was a piece of shit and was not scary. Do not waste your time or money. Thank you.

[quote name='slickkill77']What are you talking about? I'm not even sure how to respond to this. So your scared by the same things now that you were scared by when you were 12?

Perhaps you missed the main point of my post. I'll reiterate: Paranormal Activity was a piece of shit and was not scary. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
Uh yea, you're not? If I saw a creepy dead girl in my hall way I'd shit bricks.

And note: I thought the movie was OK. Didn't think it was great or terrible. Exactly what I thought it would be - didn't make me freak at any point, but it did leave me with a creepy feeling and the knowledge to always kill your girlfriend if she watches you for 3 hours asleep.

Uh....ok. Your being a try hard at this point. I'm not referring to a real life situation of a dead girl in your hallway. I'm not even sure where that came from. I was referring to horror movies and what can scare you in them.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Have you ever heard of a concept movie? By referring to this as a "student film" it's like you're holding its lack of huge production against it when that's the ENTIRE point of the movie. Whether you liked the subject matter or not shouldn't detract from the concept of a couple trying to figure out the strange phenomena occurring in their home, and trying to capture it on tape.

Also, calling it "screaming holding a camera" makes it sound like you haven't even seen the film because there is really none of that in the movie. 95% of the movie is shot on a tripod. I actually commended it for NOT doing the shaky camera/heavy breathing crap that Blair Witch/Cloverfield did. It might make the movie "boring" to some, but sometimes what you don't see is just as good as what you do see. I believe Alfred Hitchcock said somethign to that effect.

Yes, maybe the material isn't the MOST original in the world (when I first saw the trailer, my thoughts immediately went to Ghosthunters), but there hasn't been a movie like this, and I thought many of the scenes were done well. If you have no background in filmmaking, then maybe you can't appreciate the subtle nuances of the film. But hey, that just makes you "Average Joe Movie-goer", so maybe your opinion is a better consensus than mine is. But at least have the intelligence to recognize why some people might enjoy the movie. I doubt anybody here gives a shit whether you liked it. But that doesn't mean you have to go around bashing anyone who did.[/QUOTE]

You have skills of subtle film nuances? Impressive.

Im not saying people cant enjoy it, Never said that. You are allowed to enjoy whatever it is you like. What Im saying as 'average joe moviegoer' is that when something is sold to me as being amazing, I go in expecting to see "the scariest movie in years."

Its my opinion. I didn't quote your opinion of you liking it and tell you were wrong. Thanks.

And you got me, I didn't even see it. I just felt like posting about a movie I didn't see so i could anger some guy in North Carolina with film nuance detection.

Uh....ok. Your being a try hard at this point. I'm not referring to a real life situation of a dead girl in your hallway. I'm not even sure where that came from. I was referring to horror movies and what can scare you in them.
What are we talking about?

I'm just saying, fear is so different to so many different people. There is NO movie that is SCARY to everyone and there will never be. I mean, my moms "scariest movie" is Godzilla... It is just ridiculous declaring something to be, "not scary".

This movie didn't really do anything - if you are scared of this sort of thing you'll be scared - if not you wont be.

Good, bad, scary, not scary are all opinions. There's no right or wrong in this situation. I watched the movie in a dark room late at night and viewed it as a possible true situation and it seemed pretty damn freaky to me. After the movie was over and thinking back on it, i realized overall it really wasn't a scary movie. I probably wouldn't want to go to the movies and pay $8 to watch it either, but i thought it was a pretty decent movie and enjoyed it.

I'm not shitting on this movie or thread but I've never really been into "scary" movies, they are after all just movies, what's so scary about a movie?

[quote name='Lice']You have skills of subtle film nuances? Impressive.

Im not saying people cant enjoy it, Never said that. You are allowed to enjoy whatever it is you like. What Im saying as 'average joe moviegoer' is that when something is sold to me as being amazing, I go in expecting to see "the scariest movie in years."

Its my opinion. I didn't quote your opinion of you liking it and tell you were wrong. Thanks.

And you got me, I didn't even see it. I just felt like posting about a movie I didn't see so i could anger some guy in North Carolina with film nuance detection.[/QUOTE]

If you bought into the hype, that's your business. I didn't go in with those expectations. First of all, it's a horror movie. How many good ones have there actually been and how often are they made? Besides that, if you saw the trailer, how much did you actually expect from the movie? Did you expect an all out blood bath ala Amityville or something?

Since I likened the film to Ghosthunters the second I saw the trailer, I wasn't really expecting a whole lot of action. I also didn't read blog upon blog to build the anticipation of seeing the movie. I just went in with reasonable expectations and found that I liked some things they did and didn't like others. But when it was over, I didn't feel so let down to come on a message board and rant about it.

As for my "subtle nuance detection", whatever dude. I have a bachelor's degree in this area. I don't watch movies the same way anymore (which can be annoying as shit sometimes). I notice things like camera angles, lighting, shot sequences, sound effects, etc. I wasn't trying to come off holier than thou. Just saying I have an appreciation for that kind of stuff, and enjoyed what the film did in that regard. If that's not your thing, good for you.

Finally, I never said your opinion was wrong. Just that it wasn't necessary to bash others for liking the movie (as several in this thread are doing). You didn't like it. We get it.

[quote name='Bezerker']So did anyone else find this move more hilarious than scary? I couldnt help but bust out laughing when..

Honestly, it makes Book of Shadows look like an emmy worthy film.[/QUOTE]

One of the few scary/creppy scenes in the movie actually.

I LOL'd. Best culture post of the year!

The girlfriend and I went and saw it last weekend.

It was kinda slow. I called pretty much every thing that was gonna happen...before it happened. (I said he'd bring in a Ouija board, and that it'd burn, how the movie would end, etc.) Not that that detracts from the movie...it's just, it was pretty funny at how much I got right.

My "OMG I love horror films!!!!" girlfriend agreed that it plodded along.

Not a bad film. Pretty much what I expected. But definitely not something I need to see again.

[quote name='Rig']The girlfriend and I went and saw it last weekend.

It was kinda slow. I called pretty much every thing that was gonna happen...before it happened. (I said he'd bring in a Ouija board, and that it'd burn, how the movie would end, etc.) Not that that detracts from the movie...it's just, it was pretty funny at how much I got right.

My "OMG I love horror films!!!!" girlfriend agreed that it plodded along.

Not a bad film. Pretty much what I expected. But definitely not something I need to see again.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The Ouija board part was insanely predictable. I still like the way they shot it (even though the wind and demonic moans were a BIT over the top, lol). It was still well executed. I also liked her reaction when she saw he had the Ouija board. She was like "Oh hell no!!!" *door slams* I think anybody could see him being dumb enough to try it though, haha.

Saw it tonight and also saw both endings. I mostly didnt like the movie but Katie's tits/legs kept me in it till the end. 2 parts stuck out to me:

The part where he has the Oujia board and she says something like "I told you not to get a Oujia board and you ran out and got the best looking fucking Ouija board I've ever seen!" was fucking funny as hell

The part where she gets drug from the bed was really good and the only part where I was like "Oh Shit!"

As for the endings, I think the one where Micah is thrown at the camera is better just because you actually get to see something happen (her lunging at the camera was dumb).....the cop ending was meh at best but more "realistic" i guess

couple things that bothered me...

when she went outside and sat in the swinging chair the alarm didnt go off

when the friend came into the house and found micah's body (cop ending) even though the alarm sounded and the bitch ran out it still took cops like 20 something minutes to get there

there were some other things that my wife mentioned but I forget them right now

It was better than torture porn, and that's all that really needs to be said.

Things that could "happen" in real life are way scarier than a guy wearing your face carrying a chainsaw.

I haven't paid any attention to the hype for this movie but I'm thinking about seeing it. Is this more in the vein of Blair Witch Project or Saw? I'm avoiding most of this thread to avoid spoilers so I'm looking for opinions. I enjoyed BWP for what it was but I'm not a big gore fan.

[quote name='neocisco']I haven't paid any attention to the hype for this movie but I'm thinking about seeing it. Is this more in the vein of Blair Witch Project or Saw? I'm avoiding most of this thread to avoid spoilers so I'm looking for opinions. I enjoyed BWP for what it was but I'm not a big gore fan.[/QUOTE]

I actually enjoyed BWP a lot but this movie was bleh. I think the thing I liked so much about BWP was that the people were actually scared, confused, etc. They had no idea what was going on and only had notes to go by. BWP was also much more believable since nothing "paranormal" happened (that i can remember).

BWP is more comparable to this than Saw though.

i have no clue which ending actually does it justice, but I would like to see the 3rd ending where she
cuts her wrists or something like that

That's what I was thinking, that the tone was more like BWP than a gorefest. I really enjoyed BWP for the same reasons in that I liked the way it was just screwing with their minds (the actors and the viewers) I won't expect this to be as good but from what little I've seen I might enjoy it. Thanks, I think I'll check it out.

I enjoyed it.
if you can get past the its a movie and get into the story the constantly buildign suspense was great.
watching the daytime stuff both dreading and excited to see what would happen next was great.

Micah was crap and the couple arguements i felt needed better writing.

bread's done
Back