Persona 3 Used In-Stock @ Gamestop.com, $40 Shipped after 25% Coupon

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']should I buy a sealed copy of this game just to hold on to? what do you guys think?[/quote]

If you can find one, sure, why not? They are already insanely priced. Imagine what they might be down the road.

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']should I buy a sealed copy of this game just to hold on to? what do you guys think?[/quote]

What ever happened to the days when people ran out and bought sealed copies of games to go home and open them and play them lol..

My Sears has plenty of them. Only think is they put them on these wierd clamp hook things and bend the top of the box. Otherwise I would've bought a few and traded them. I bought mine there but only wanted to play it. I don't care about the book or the cd. After 50 hours on the game so far I've heard the music enough.

Found a new copy at Kmart last week so I snagged it.

I was planning to just flip it via my tradelist, but I'm heavily considering playing it first. All of my instincts tell that it's not the kind of game I'm going to enjoy (I've never played more than an hour or so of any RPG, Japanese-centric games seldom appeal to me) but the more reviews I read and videos I watch of Persona 3 the more I want to tear the package open and give it a runthrough.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If you can find one, sure, why not? They are already insanely priced. Imagine what they might be down the road.[/quote]

FES might kill its value, or it might retain the value; this is one game that's hard to gauge due to the rumor of FES. I doubt the premium goods will be the same, and people might want this still... Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth PSP didn't affect Valkyrie Profile PS1 much.

[quote name='Caliburn']FES might kill its value, or it might retain the value; this is one game that's hard to gauge due to the rumor of FES. I doubt the premium goods will be the same, and people might want this still... Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth PSP didn't affect Valkyrie Profile PS1 much.[/quote]

I think VP:Lenneth did not hurt the PSone version's value because most people either waited till the game was on clearance or just burned it to thier PSP using CFW and home brew programs...

[quote name='Caliburn']FES might kill its value, or it might retain the value; this is one game that's hard to gauge due to the rumor of FES. I doubt the premium goods will be the same, and people might want this still... Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth PSP didn't affect Valkyrie Profile PS1 much.[/quote]
It looks like FES is likely coming stateside. In addition to all the previously existing rumors and the fact that one of the voice actors let it slip that he'd been contracted to do voice work for FES, EGM (who has a respectable rumormill, IMHO) is now saying its looking like its heading our way.

The question is, will it be an add-on disc (which requires the original disc to play, thus will not kill the value, only increase it)

or will be an independant booting expansion? (In which case, yes, it will kill the value)

Either way, i'll be preordering this baby.

BTW, it is in my opinion that the reason Lenneth didn't kill the value of Valkyrie Profile much was because it was a somewhat shoddy port in that in-game load times were worse, menu access has a load time, there is slowdown/stuttering in-game, the stretch aspect ratio cause some of the low-res sprites to appear blurry, and its based off the original Japanese version of the game which is inferior to the U.S. version.

So in that respect, I don't think its really a true comparison between how Lenneth affected Valkyrie Profile and how FES will affect Persona 3.

FES will contains the expansion and the director's cut version of of Persona 3 in 1 disc. Even if it does need the original, you only need it the first time you play it.

Assuming the MSRP is $39.99, more than a few people will try to ebay their Persona 3 to pay for FES. I think a new copy might retian its value, but a used version will likely see a price drop.

also Lenneth is hard on its own so it wont really affect the original

[quote name='62t']FES will contains the expansion and the director's cut version of of Persona 3 in 1 disc. Even if it does need the original, you only need it the first time you play it.

Assuming the MSRP is $39.99, more than a few people will try to ebay their Persona 3 to pay for FES. I think a new copy might retian its value, but a used version will likely see a price drop.
[/quote] Can someone please translate the above quote for me? I'm trying to understand if/when FES is released if I will need the original game to play it or not, and I can't understand what the poster was trying to say.

Well, from what I can gather, FES isn't still a sure thing.
I guess some voice actors said it was , but some games have been scrapped soon release date.

In Japan there are two version of FES, one where you dont need Persona 3 and one where you need it the first time you play FES. Right now we dont know which verison we are getting

[quote name='Don Carnage']Can someone please translate the above quote for me? I'm trying to understand if/when FES is released if I will need the original game to play it or not, and I can't understand what the poster was trying to say.[/quote]
Yeah, I think it was the "Even if" line that makes it confusing.

First I just wanna note that Atlus released both a standalone and dependant version of FES in Japan. The standalone version was the director's cut. It included both Persona 3, and the FES expansion and would boot on its own. The dependent version was an append disc that stored all the expanded content, but required the original Persona 3 disc in order to start a new game.

So again, i'm not sure if North America is looking to get one, the other or both. I just know that the value of Persona 3 will either go up or down depending on it. Like the other poster said, if its the standalone version, then get ready to see a lot more (and cheaper) auctions for Persona 3 pop up. Sealed copies will probably still have some value, but used copies will likely go way down.

Now, what the poster was getting at is that even if its dependant version, you can get around that if you have some kind of access to an original Persona 3 disc as I can't see the append disc requiring verification more than once per New Game. I'll check my EGM again to see just which version they were referring to.

EDIT: I see 62t cleared that up already (the result of getting sidetracked while typing). I just checked my EGM and Quartermann is saying its the append disc (the one that will require an original copy to play). So it looks like the original game will still have high value, especially sealed copies.

In addition, if you're a true Shin Megami Tensei fan, you'd better start planning on puchasing a Playstation 3 if you haven't done so already.

[quote name='VWarrior']In addition, if you're a true Shin Megami Tensei fan, you'd better start planning on puchasing a Playstation 3 if you haven't done so already.[/quote]

I think my wallet just had a panic attack.

[quote name='inefficiency device']I think my wallet just had a panic attack.[/quote]
Mine To.

I was waiting for Kingom Hearts, but now I gotta buy it for Persona 4 :bomb:

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Well, from what I can gather, FES isn't still a sure thing.
I guess some voice actors said it was , but some games have been scrapped soon release date.[/quote]

This is where I stand. All I have seen so far is the reference to the game on the voice actor's website and the rumor in EGM. Thus, it's all speculation right now. Until a firm annoucement, this is like MGS4 on the 360 or any other rumor...possible, but not a sure thing by any standard.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']This is where I stand. All I have seen so far is the reference to the game on the voice actor's website and the rumor in EGM. Thus, it's all speculation right now. Until a firm annoucement, this is like MGS4 on the 360 or any other rumor...possible, but not a sure thing by any standard.[/quote]

Yeah.
I'm surprised no one has imported it.
Atleast in my area.

Is it rare in Japan?

[quote name='VWarrior']In addition, if you're a true Shin Megami Tensei fan, you'd better start planning on puchasing a Playstation 3 if you haven't done so already.[/QUOTE]

Am I missing something? I haven't heard of the series being exclusive for PS3, and Atlus is also supporting 360. There's even been a SMT game for the original Xbox. If nothing else, Persona 4's being released for PS2, so you can hold off on that PS3 purchase at least a little while longer.

finally found a copy to rent at least...

very cool anime themes and presentation, but the "gameplay" after 1.5 hours is pretty minimal. Glad I was able to rent it as this ridiculous hunt for a sealed copy is starting to prove not worth it for the actual code on the disc.

[quote name='expane']finally found a copy to rent at least...

very cool anime themes and presentation, but the "gameplay" after 1.5 hours is pretty minimal. Glad I was able to rent it as this ridiculous hunt for a sealed copy is starting to prove not worth it for the actual code on the disc.[/quote]

I like it! :/
It seems like it's getting better.
Been adding new people to my team recently!
Aigis has a gun! :X

[quote name='whitereflection']Am I missing something? I haven't heard of the series being exclusive for PS3, [/quote]
Indeed you haven't, hence the nature of industry-insider info. I'm only relaying what Quartermann is hearing(and he has a respectable reputation with rumors), and he's saying its a PS3 exclusive at this point.

I seriously wouldn't hold my breath for a new SMT installment on PS2 at this point. Its practically full-blown generation-7, my friend. The grace period for the PS2 during the infancy of its successor are over, the system is dying, if not practically dead in terms of new high-quality software. Of course, you still have scattered releases such a Mana Khemia, but those are games with even smaller budgets and smaller audiences.

And given the reputation of this series in terms of which hardware line has traditionally been its target, I think its reasonable to assume that there will be a PS3 version, if any, and an exclusive is not far-fetched, not when Metal Gear Solid 4 is the doing the same thing.

First post! I got my Persona 3 today from Gamestop, came with the original box and instructions. I am happy, going to start on it today!

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Did you get the extra CD and artbook?[/quote]

No I did not, but getting the original box and instructions is quite a coup from gamestop online in my opinion.

[quote name='IkebotXP']No I did not, but getting the original box and instructions is quite a coup from gamestop online in my opinion.[/quote]

Yeah.

Picked up a copy at Kmart a few weeks and finally started playing it last night. I'm a few hours in...it's late April in the game.

So...does anything happen next? Or do I just keep going to school all day and climbing the tower at night?

I sort of feel like, now that they've established the gameplay mechanics, I'm really just cycling through the same actions over and over.

I only spent like half a day and I ended up getting lucky and through a very fortunate series of events, I got a completely new copy of P3 at GameStop. Has everything. If you look hard enough you can find it in the Chicagoland Area FYI.

Awesome game IMO. I'm about 6 hours in, and I think it's great. Yeah, it's a little repetitive, but what RPG isn't? I like all the original ideas they implemented. The daytime/school parts are kind of a buzzkill, but it breaks up the action pretty nicely. It's a necessary evil in an RPG, and I'd take it over endless hours of talking to villagers any day. I've advanced through the first tower to level 16. Not sure what happens after that, but I can't wait to find out.

Be warned, the first hour or two is a little boring since you don't battle anything. It's all the dating/sim/school elements at first. Flippers, don't be shy about opening this one. I'd rank it as one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

found a new one at my gstop....though a gutted copy and a bunch of tape over the box and artbook....and slight damage to the box

No go at 3 of my local Game Stops. I ended up just getting Devil Summoner for 19.xx. BTW, anyone recommend playing the first two Persona's before Persona 3? Their a little expensive, that's why I'd like to get a little info before buying them.

[quote name='Coper3000']No go at 3 of my local Game Stops. I ended up just getting Devil Summoner for 19.xx. BTW, anyone recommend playing the first two Persona's before Persona 3? Their a little expensive, that's why I'd like to get a little info before buying them.[/quote]

You do not need to play the first 2 Persona's before P3. The stories do not tie in together, just basically the same concept of using Persona's. P2 is not really that expensive, usually goes for $40-$50. P1 is a little expensive and will cost you $80-$100 for a complete copy. I suggest you go get P3 somehow, it is one of the best PS2 games out, and is in my top 5 games. Such a great game.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']I saw two of these at my Local Gamecrazy for 49.99. It was the thick boxed version. Still on the fence if I should pick these up.[/quote]

I would pick them up. One for you to keep and play, because the game is so great. Then keep one sealed since they will be worth money like Nocturne and DDS.

Also Animyers it's hard to say if FES will come to the USA. Atlus has still yet to announce it. EGM had a thing about it in their rumor mill saying it was headed our way, but it's hard to say. I just hope they bring it over here. :pray:

[quote name='farley91']Also Animyers it's hard to say if FES will come to the USA. Atlus has still yet to announce it. EGM had a thing about it in their rumor mill saying it was headed our way, but it's hard to say. I just hope they bring it over here. :pray:[/quote]

There's a lot more to it than just EGM. Two voiceactors had it up on their websites as current projects (before they were removed). There's a lot pointing to the release of FES stateside.

there are still 2 sealed copies at my kmart...if anyone wants them, PM me!

for those interested...I may go and buy them tomorrow to have. I will be selling them for $65 because of the following...

$55 after tax
$5 to ship the product first class with confirmation
$5 for gas to get me there

So in the end, I'm not really making any profit. I will also be interested in trades once I get them. If you still want P3, PM me! If not, I'll eBay them in a few weeks.

[quote name='aznguyen316']okay I'm a bit out of the PS2 but why is this game so popular or wanted? is it b/c it's just a good rpg or is there more to it? rare etc.[/quote]

It is just now getting the praise it should have at release. It is a very good game and people want to play it. It is one of the best games on the PS2. It is getting rare as well. A lot of Atlus games, especially the Shin Megami Tensei series go out of print quickly. Atlus does not print a whole lot of copies of a particular game. You can get them easily at release, but about 6 months to a year afterwards they are then out of print and become rare. Also most Atlus games are generally good, almost can't go wrong with an Atlus game.

[quote name='farley91']It is just now getting the praise it should have at release. It is a very good game and people want to play it. It is one of the best games on the PS2. It is getting rare as well. A lot of Atlus games, especially the Shin Megami Tensei series go out of print quickly. Atlus does not print a whole lot of copies of a particular game. You can get them easily at release, but about 6 months to a year afterwards they are then out of print and become rare. Also most Atlus games are generally good, almost can't go wrong with an Atlus game.[/quote]

thank you, yeah I'm familiar w/ atlus so that's cool.. thanks. I thought this was like only a JP release or something..

[quote name='farley91']It is just now getting the praise it should have at release. [/quote]

Well it wasn't thoroughly marketed, either.

Is this game really that rare? I know of 12 of them within 20 minutes of my house at various gamecrazy, kmart and sears locations.

bread's done
Back