Persona 4 Arena | $19.99 @ GameStop

[quote name='deftrance']I won this in a raffle at the Atlus booth during the Gamestop Expo last year. This game is brilliant. Warning: If you have not played Persona 4 yet, you will see a fair amount of spoilers from the game.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the heads up. I haven't played it, waiting to. Ni No Kuni is my next RPG.

[quote name='Romeo']Thank you for the heads up. I haven't played it, waiting to. Ni No Kuni is my next RPG.[/QUOTE]

It's a fighter based on the persona 4 RPG. hope you know that.

This is probably one of the most accessible fighters I've ever played. I had a bunch of friends over who sucked at fighting games (I sort of suck myself) and we had a blast for 4-5 hours straight. If you always wanted to play Blazblue but the complexity turned you off, this game is amazing for it.
Story mode is OK too, though it's super text heavy and way into exposition. The P3/P4 crossover bits are cool, though.

[quote name='Lemstar']Got a used copy for $14 with a 20% coupon and PUR discount. Thanks![/QUOTE]

cool thats the route ill probably take too.

Picked up a PS3 copy in Boston and it was sealed and came with the soundtrack so huzzah!

I know there are some Persona 3 characters, are there a lot of P3 spoilers or just for Persona 4 (which I am finishing up right now!)

[quote name='Romeo']is there anything that links Arena and Golden for the vita? Should I keep all of them on a linked platform?[/QUOTE]

No, though that would have been cool if I could carry my saves over.

Closest store had one, gutted, therefore used. Store 15mi away had four, ALL GUTTED. Store 25mi away has five, one sealed, other four gutted. Will be picking up the sealed one tomorrow.

[quote name='tham1988']how do i get this 20% off coupon?[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336148

For people complaining about "gutted" copies: They've probably had them since release with all the stuff behind the counter. This means they have a good chance of including the soundtrack. The one I bought today did.

[quote name='Graff^']For people complaining about "gutted" copies: They've probably had them since release with all the stuff behind the counter. This means they have a good chance of including the soundtrack. The one I bought today did.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter. If a store has multiple copies, all should not be gutted. And gutted = used.

i kinda wished i would have bought this at $20 instead for $30 a few weeks ago but i just love the cast of the Persona 4 characters to really care!

Totally worth it. Fighting game of the year for sure. (2012)
I have a arcade stick for the 360 so I would pick that. Otherwise it depends if you want active online, 360 seemed dead when I played this a month or two ago.

[quote name='Romeo']Doesn't matter. If a store has multiple copies, all should not be gutted. And gutted = used.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. I used to be an employee for Gamestop many years ago. Employees are allowed to take home used copies of games to *test out*. There's a dedicated sign out book for used games.

Also, gutted copies of games can also be signed out. That's under the condition that the employee doesn't damage the disc or have to pay the retail price.

I was also trained on how to use a shrink wrap machine in conjunction with a hot air blow drier to "re-wrap" gutted games.

All in all, selling "gutted" copies of games as new is a despicable practice, you have been warned.

[quote name='Romeo']Doesn't matter. If a store has multiple copies, all should not be gutted. And gutted = used.[/QUOTE]

No. Used = used. It's pretty simple. Opening something does not make it used. You have never purchased a car that had 0 miles on it and had never been started or opened. Have fun spending extra cash to drive 25 miles away for the privilege of cutting the plastic off yourself.

[quote name='biledriver']No. Used = used. It's pretty simple. Opening something does not make it used. You have never purchased a car that had 0 miles on it and had never been started or opened. Have fun spending extra cash to drive 25 miles away for the privilege of cutting the plastic off yourself.[/QUOTE]
Wow, you are literally the first one I saw on CAG that defends GS gutted copies.
I have no say in this because I have never bought new games from GS except for some rare CEs, which being sealed or not makes a BIG difference.

[quote name='biledriver']No. Used = used. It's pretty simple. Opening something does not make it used. You have never purchased a car that had 0 miles on it and had never been started or opened. Have fun spending extra cash to drive 25 miles away for the privilege of cutting the plastic off yourself.[/QUOTE]

Talk to me when you can back up your comments with facts. You are not a GS employee so you have NO idea what you're talking about. The gutted copies get checked out by anyone to borrow for up to four days. Reps at my stores take release day games home and beat them the week of release.

P.S. Try to return a gutted game that's 'new' and watch any rep at any retail store laugh at you. Unless you opened it, it's open box/used.

[quote name='Romeo']Talk to me when you can back up your comments with facts. You are not a GS employee so you have NO idea what you're talking about. The gutted copies get checked out by anyone to borrow for up to four days. Reps at my stores take release day games home and beat them the week of release.

P.S. Try to return a gutted game that's 'new' and watch any rep at any retail store laugh at you. Unless you opened it, it's open box/used.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've seen numerous gutted copies where the disc is NOT in new condition. They take the disc out, put in in a sleeve, and throw it in the drawer. After a while, it can look just like a used game.

Here we go again comparing video games to cars. Because it makes sense to compare a boxed media item to a fucking automobile.

[quote name='Josef']Here we go again comparing video games to cars. Because it makes sense to compare a boxed media item to a fucking automobile.[/QUOTE]

In this case the car example is hyperbolic in the opposite direction. The wear imposed on a car from test-drives and time spent sitting on the lot has an appreciable impact on the car's performance at the time of purchase. The opening of a game and putting it into a sleeve has no such effect on the performance of the game.

EDIT: I'm only really playing devil's advocate here. I think that selling opened games at the price of a new copy is pretty lame, but it's not something that I'm going to pick out as a crusade either. I rarely shop at GameStop because I don't like to support such practices, but when I do decide to shop there to take advantage of an excellent deal like this I'm not going to throw a tantrum because the disc has been sitting in a sleeve behind the counter rather than in a case behind the counter. It's just not worth stressing over.

[quote name='Graff^']In this case the car example is hyperbolic in the opposite direction. The wear imposed on a car from test-drives and time spent sitting on the lot has an appreciable impact on the car's performance at the time of purchase. The opening of a game and putting it into a sleeve has no such effect on the performance of the game.

EDIT: I'm only really playing devil's advocate here. I think that selling opened games at the price of a new copy is pretty lame, but it's not something that I'm going to pick out as a crusade either. I rarely shop at GameStop because I don't like to support such practices, but when I do decide to shop there to take advantage of an excellent deal like this I'm not going to throw a tantrum because the disc has been sitting in a sleeve behind the counter rather than in a case behind the counter. It's just not worth stressing over.[/QUOTE]

I also agree here, there is no tantrum to throw over the practice, you can simply you know... walk away if they don't have copies that meet your personal specification.

I really hope that Amazon price matches. I called Gamestop, they don't have any. Then I went to both Target and Best Buy thinking I could get them to price match and neither of them had it.

[quote name='Deader2818']If you buy it for ps3 and gutted I wouldn't worry to much about the disc condition. Its pretty hard to scratch up a blu ray.[/QUOTE]

That's not the point, the point is Gamestop shouldn't gut games and sell them as new.

That's fine and I can agree with that. Just letting people know because maybe its not worth it to drive to another store if there is low risk of any damage to the disc.

They shouldn't. But nothing will make them change this practice so its either accept it or don't shop there sadly.

Gutted = used. As someone stated before GS employees can check out gutted games and play them. If they have been played before its used regardless of the condition and no one should be paying the full price for game that have been played by others. That is the definition of a used game. we have the right as consumers to refuse GS or why not just price match at BB. GS has been pulling this crap for years but you always have the option to say NO! NO! NO! (end rant)

To keep on topic, this is one of the better fighting games on the market and though it has a persona veneer, the blaz blue blue print is all over this game .

[quote name='Blaan']I really hope that Amazon price matches. I called Gamestop, they don't have any. Then I went to both Target and Best Buy thinking I could get them to price match and neither of them had it.[/QUOTE]

I'll help ya out.... most TRUs will have this in stock.

Picked up a pre-owned copy a while back with a coupon for like $20 on the 360. If I find a PS3 or 360 one still sealed with the soundtrack I guess I should just keep it sealed, right?

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Picked up a pre-owned copy a while back with a coupon for like $20 on the 360. If I find a PS3 or 360 one still sealed with the soundtrack I guess I should just keep it sealed, right?[/QUOTE]

Why...?

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Picked up a pre-owned copy a while back with a coupon for like $20 on the 360. If I find a PS3 or 360 one still sealed with the soundtrack I guess I should just keep it sealed, right?[/QUOTE]

For the most part fighting games are like sports games: when they come out with a sequel or update the community loses all interest in the previous versions, the demand falls and so does the price. P4A is developed by Arc Systems so it's probably only a matter of time before we see a revision of this game.

I actually decided to cave in and buy this on impulse. While picking up some groceries, I noticed that there was a Gamestop across the street. I went in and ask and the clerk was actually knowledgeable. He looked into finding a sealed copy and gave it to me for 19.99. He asked me if I wanted to preorder anything and I told him I hardly shop here. He said that's cool, didn't pester and rung me up. I was in and out in less than 3 minutes.

The game itself is fantastic! I can't wait until I get a fight stick to go with this. Any one know any decent ones that aren't too expensive?

[quote name='Scenttii']The game itself is fantastic! I can't wait until I get a fight stick to go with this. Any one know any decent ones that aren't too expensive?[/QUOTE]

Hori sticks are ok. They're far from the best, but they are pretty cheap.

[quote name='Thrinn']Hori sticks are ok. They're far from the best, but they are pretty cheap.[/QUOTE]

How responsive are the buttons? I've had a TE stick before but ended up having to let it go.

In terms of the buttons, do they get stuck too often? I'm not totally competitive, I just want something that won't wear away at my thumbs. :lol:

[quote name='Scenttii']How responsive are the buttons? I've had a TE stick before but ended up having to let it go.

In terms of the buttons, do they get stuck too often? I'm not totally competitive, I just want something that won't wear away at my thumbs. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Those are ass compared to the Sanwas on a TE.

[quote name='Draknight']Gutted = used. As someone stated before GS employees can check out gutted games and play them. If they have been played before its used regardless of the condition and no one should be paying the full price for game that have been played by others. That is the definition of a used game. we have the right as consumers to refuse GS or why not just price match at BB. GS has been pulling this crap for years but you always have the option to say NO! NO! NO! (end rant)

To keep on topic, this is one of the better fighting games on the market and though it has a persona veneer, the blaz blue blue print is all over this game .[/QUOTE]

This is the truth. When I worked there, I didn't take games out so that I could still say they were new, and never played. I always said they should make it one gut copy or just inserts for the games, and revert the one copy to used if someone "rented" it from the store. That, of course, fell on deaf ears.

That being said, I still would get a gutted copy if they had it, considering it's a 1 dollar difference(not counting PUR) and the idea that no one probably rented it(at least near me, they all seem like they aren't into RPGs/fighting games that much).

[quote name='Scenttii']How responsive are the buttons? I've had a TE stick before but ended up having to let it go.

In terms of the buttons, do they get stuck too often? I'm not totally competitive, I just want something that won't wear away at my thumbs. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Both Hori sticks I've owned have had problems with the buttons. One occasionally would have a button get stuck and the other had a button that eventually became so sensitive that just the slightest touch would activate it.

I wish I could give you a better suggestion for a cheap stick. Unfortunately with Hori sticks it's pretty much a case of "you get what you paid for." If you're after something better you'll either need to be willing to mod a cheap stick with better parts or be willing to shell out more money for a high end stick.

[quote name='roymustang']Submitted to Amazon for price match., hopefully will be able to get it tax free.[/QUOTE]

You don't want to pay $1.50 or so in taxes? Damn...

bread's done
Back