Phantasy Star Universe Open 360 Beta! Update: Now Available!

i honestly wont be able to play this game like i used to in the old dc days.... but ill pick it up just because pso is like my favorite game..

Sega's Phantasy Star Online support has always sucked. They totally abandoned gamers on PSO on DC and GC/Xbox. But they still took their monthly fee happily. People were doing shit to not only erase or damage your character profiles, and generally ruin the in-game experience...but also stuff that could potentially damage your hardware. Yet, Sega did nothing to stop or prevent this type of thing. I like Phantasy Star games, and I've sunk many hours into them, but Sega can go shit a brick on this one.

I'll second dobiewan's assertion. I don't quite understand what was so amazing about PSO; it was fun, IMO, but (1) the lack of diversity in the game made it worth far less per month than $10, and (2) the amount of cheating in the game made it ludicrous to think that Sega was using the money for upkeep in the game.

They put together a fun game, but one that wasn't diverse, and one that wasn't well-kept or updated after release. I can't support Sega this go-around. Even if I did, I'd have to go with a PC or PS2 release, since the monthly subscription is substantially cheaper.

This was posted on the PSO boards by the admin.
The Phantasy Star Universe Xbox 360 Open Beta will be uploaded to Xbox Live Marketplace this weekend, so get ready to download and play with your friends! In order to give more people the opportunity to enjoy this exclusive free beta, with extended untinterrupted weekend play, the multiplayer open beta will be available for download for two days only, and will be playable through to Oct. 18.
Well, I'm not going to be home all weekend. I'm screwed.

[quote name='Foolman']This was posted on the PSO boards by the admin.

Well, I'm not going to be home all weekend. I'm screwed.[/QUOTE]

4 day beta? Whoopie shit! With all the problems that came with the Japanese launch, you think they're take their sweet time with this.

i was hyped for this game, until i remembered my connection sucks :(

my computer handles PSO with no problems for the most part...occasionally it slows down. but I can't play a straight game of doa4 online. i hope it won't effect PSU. glad there's a beta. even if it's a weak one.

This isn't even a beta, it's an online enabled demo. The game comes out a week after the beta ends, so even if people find problems with the game, like bugs or glitches, it would be way too late for SEGA to even do anything. They shouldn't call this a beta, it's a demo.

No, Sega can't change anything on the disc, but playing online does require connecting to game servers which have - gasp - software on them. Don't you think Sega can fix things on their end? :roll:

[quote name='pete5883']Don't you think Sega can fix things on their end? :roll:[/QUOTE]

You're making an awfully large assumption Sega is going to do something they haven't done in the past.

Still can't understand how they charge $9.99 per month for this either, especially since games like Guild Wars and Diablo 2 (oldy but goody) are free online.

Eitherway look forward to downloading the beta this weekend.

[quote name='terribledeli']You're making an awfully large assumption Sega is going to do something they haven't done in the past.[/QUOTE]
Don't get me wrong, I know about Sega's poor track record with PSO's, but just because the game discs have already been made, doesn't mean Sega can't make any improvements based on this beta. To me it sounded more like a server stress test anyway.

thats one big problem with PSO, it has a monthly fee and still runs rampant with cheating, if sega cant even keep an equal online playing field what exactly are we paying for? just gonna have to wait and see with PSU but I doubt it will be any different.

I'll be picking this up when the price drops, theres to too many good 360 games coming out next month. Iam also not down for the $10 monthly fee. I'll just be playing the single player mode.

[quote name='terribledeli']You're making an awfully large assumption Sega is going to do something they haven't done in the past.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, they've continually fixed problems and bugs with PSO:BB, even in the English release.

However, Blue Burst is a PC version and is much easier to patch than a console game. Time will tell how much attention we get for PSU. :(

3 day beta now, thanks to MS pulling Live down on the 17th. However, you may still be able to play that day.

If it's like FF11, you can log in and stay logged in when Live goes down. However, if you log off, you wont get back in.

So log in the 16th and leave the 360 on.

Thanks MS. =\

Yeah, pretty slow for me too, but it's kind of a good thing. >.> Otherwise, I know I'd end up ignoring this 10 page story I have to write for class tomorrow.

Don't worry about it going slow or being stuck mine finally downloaded but now I am getting server issues before it will let me even log in... If it is like this @ 5am (local time) this beta will be a mess.

Actually, it's probably worth noting in the OP that the beta isn't a stress test, and that there will only be limited number of concurrent sessions/players at any given time. If you can't get on, it may very well be by design, and you may just need to wait and try again later.

Ok I got on and played through the tutorial then got into a party then the server booted me for some odd reason. Meh I will try again latter.

*download completes*

Hooray! \\:D/

*awaiting response from Phantasy Star Universe Server*

:cool:

*connection to Phantasy Star Universe Server failed*

:whistle2:s

*retry*

:whistle2:k

*retry X 10*

:cry:

*retry X 25*

:wall:

*retry X 50*

emotsuicidejs2.gif

same here, but you can just play without listening to it.

The game is very pretty, and my wireless logitech keyboard works with it, yay!

[quote name='Sporadic']*download completes*

Hooray! \\:D/

*awaiting response from Phantasy Star Universe Server*

:cool:

:whistle2:s

*retry*

:whistle2:k

*retry X 10*

:cry:

*retry X 25*

:wall:

*retry X 50*

emotsuicidejs2.gif
[/QUOTE]

:lol:

currently DLing it. I started this morning, then like a dumbass, set my laptop on stand by before I left for class (my 360 gets its signal from there.)

probably won't be going out tonight, so add me or message me if you wanna play some PSU!

[quote name='megabadd']same here, but you can just play without listening to it.

The game is very pretty, and my wireless logitech keyboard works with it, yay![/QUOTE]

Wait, there is voice right? Why would you need keyboard if you have voice?

[quote name='OGHowie']Wait, there is voice right? Why would you need keyboard if you have voice?[/QUOTE]

To talk in the lobbies. Voice only will go so far, so you're not spammed with some dumb kid going LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOOLO forever.

If you are having trouble connecting:

Back out ALL THE WAY to the start screen, where you choose Xbox Live. For some reason, if it doesn't connect, you have to do that or it'll just keep saying no connection.

Game is cool , but still learning item system and attacks it all seems weird at moment. Will see how it turns out though.

Anyone know how to get back to the tutorial? It froze during it. I have never played a phantasy star game so I have no idea what im doing.

[quote name='coltcannon']Anyone know how to get back to the tutorial? It froze during it. I have never played a phantasy star game so I have no idea what im doing.[/quote]In your room talk to little robot thing and their an option for tutorial.

You can redo/restart the tutorial in your room. Talk to the Personal Robot guy "Talk" and then you can select Tutorial somewhere there. I had the tutorial freeze on me twice - guess that is why it is a BETA. But finally got through it. Decent game so far - but hate those subscription games. CHEERS!

bread's done
Back