Phantasy Star Universe Open 360 Beta! Update: Now Available!

Foolman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
SEGA is proud to announce the start of the Open Beta for Xbox 360 on October 11th!. This will be the first chance to play the newest addition to the long running Phantasy Star series. The Beta test period is expected to run until October 18th and will allow participants to play through a portion of the online game. We encourage users interested in the Multiplayer aspects of Phantasy Star Universe to check out all there is to see in the Beta environment!
Getting started is extremely easy! If you want to participate you must have an active Xbox Live Gold account. The Beta will be available for download on the Xbox Marketplace between October 11th and October 12th. Once you have the beta downloaded, you'll be able to play immediately! Once online, we highly recommend the following activities to get the most out of this Open Beta period:
http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/news_beta.php

Oh man, this is going to be a good week.

EDIT: Well, it has been postponed to an unannounced date.

EDIT2:posted by the PSO board admin:
The Phantasy Star Universe Xbox 360 Open Beta will be uploaded to Xbox Live Marketplace this weekend, so get ready to download and play with your friends! In order to give more people the opportunity to enjoy this exclusive free beta, with extended untinterrupted weekend play, the multiplayer open beta will be available for download for two days only, and will be playable through to Oct. 18.

very cool indeed, I enjoyed PSO1&2 for the xbox so im definently looking forward to trying this out.. thanks for the update.

Oh shizit. This is awesome news. I wasn't going to buy PSO this holiday but the open beta will give me a good chance to see if It's worth my money.

[quote name='Foolman']

Oh man, this is going to be a good week.[/QUOTE]

DAMNIT IT ALL TO HELL!!! I have Finals this week... WHY PSU! WHY!?!

fuck

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Is PSO an Action RPG like Diablo or turn based liked the FF series?

If its action, I'm in![/QUOTE]

Action. But not really like diablo as far as how the game is played.

[quote name='sandrokstar']DAMNIT IT ALL TO HELL!!! I have Finals this week... WHY PSU! WHY!?!

fuck[/quote]Pfffph, you can go to college any time, PSU online beta testing is once in a lifetime! I'm sure your professors will understand.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Sorry this a very n00by question but will the beta testing cost money like the game? (I'd assume not)[/QUOTE]

No, betas are free. The one exception would have been when Sony Online Entertainment charged $5 for the "Star Wars Galaxy" beta discs on the pc. Cheap bastards.

[quote name='valor19']No, betas are free. The one exception would have been when Sony Online Entertainment charged $5 for the "Star Wars Galaxy" beta discs on the pc. Cheap bastards.[/QUOTE]
Sweet, this should be cool then, even if it is a bit buggy.

Perfect. I was hoping to see something like this come along. I really hope they have done some things different from PSO; mainly by finding ways to eliminate the rampant cheating and fake item creation that occurred. Cant wait for the beta.

now says:

I regret to inform everyone that the Start Date for the Open Beta has been changed from Oct 11th to a 'very soon' date. We anticipate the release of the Demo to Marketplace will be in the coming days, but we do not have an official date at this point.

I want to apologize for the confusion this will cause, and request that posters distribute this info as much as they can. We will be updating our Announcements section with new information on the date as soon as we receive official confirmation.

Thanks

It cant possibly be that much longer, unless im mistaken the games already due out by the end of the month, so the beta has to be starting soon.

It's due out on the 24th. I bet this is a one or two day delay, that's all.

EDIT: fuck. They just announced pricing on the monthly fee.
[quote name='"IGN"'] SEGA finally sent out word on their pricing for the upcoming online RPG Phantasy Star Universe for the US. The Guardians license, which is what you'll need to take the game into the expansive and persistent online world, will be available for purchase on October 24, 2006 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, and PC online users for $9.99. Those playing on the PlayStation 2 and PC can also purchase a six month license for $49.99 to save some money.

Although the game will cost 10 dollars more on Xbox 360 with an MSRP of $59.99 and there won't be any initial options for purchasing an extended online license, all is not gloom and doom in 360 land. That is because this Wednesday, October 11 and continuing Thursday, October 12, the Phantasy Star Universe multiplayer open beta will be available as a free download. The free open beta will run for a week and conclude on October 18, 2006. It will be open to all Xbox 360 owners with an Xbox Live Gold account.

Phantasy Star Universe will ship on October 24, 2006 for PlayStation 2, PC and Xbox 360 and is rated "T" for Teen by the ESRB.[/quote]

So, 10 bucks a month. That's not too bad, but I was expecting a cheaper price on the 360 and needing Gold access. The fact that we cant buy a year subscription is really fucked up though.

EDIT Again: Hmm, looks like we might be able to buy Guardian's Licenses with Marketplace Points.

[quote name='"PSOWorld.com"']

Q: How do I play Phantasy Star Universe online?

A: Playing is simple, and available on 3 different platforms! First you'll need a broadband connection, a PS2 and a network adaptor, or a PC meeting the minimum specs for the PC game. Then just grab a Game ID and a GUARDIANS License, and you can hop online!

For the Xbox 360 version, you'll need a broadband connection and an Xbox 360. You'll need to set up an Xbox Live account with a Gamer Tag, if you don't have one already, and then grab your GUARDIANS License from the Xbox Marketplace, and you'll be good to go! [/quote]

$10 a month seems alot to me actually. $120 a year just to play online? Maybe I'm just not used to these MMO costs since I stopped playing PC games.

That's discouraging to hear about the $10 a month fee. Which brings up a question ... why do MMORPG charge monthly fees when they seemingly do the same thing that online games like Halo and BF2 do. Do they require more servers/maintenance? What is it about MMORPG that justifies charging monthly fees?

[quote name='Maklershed']That's discouraging to hear about the $10 a month fee. Which brings up a question ... why do MMORPG charge monthly fees when they seemingly do the same thing that online games like Halo and BF2 do. Do they require more servers/maintenance? What is it about MMORPG that justifies charging monthly fees?[/QUOTE]
Of course they require "more servers/maintenance". They also update most MMO's with new content constantly. Phantasy Star Online might not be an MMO, but they do update it on a regular basis.

Microsoft doesn't know how to keep a date imo. Tiger Woods Demo finally came out today and it was suppost to be out like last month.

[quote name='Maklershed']That's discouraging to hear about the $10 a month fee. Which brings up a question ... why do MMORPG charge monthly fees when they seemingly do the same thing that online games like Halo and BF2 do. Do they require more servers/maintenance? What is it about MMORPG that justifies charging monthly fees?[/QUOTE]

Its the same reason you buy to add maps to a game like ghost recon, more production is put into the game after you initially pay. So there is monthly maintence, constant updates and game masters who look over the game. The only thing is that PSO just wasnt deep enough to warrant pay per month and i feel PSU will be the same.

I wish it was free again like PSO 1 on dreamcast :(

I would be wary of this game, at first atleast. Seems like Sega doesn't have their shit together.

Sega/Sonic Team has never delivered in the past, so its not surprising they show up again asking for money and making promises that they may deliver. I'm picking it up for offline play only. After getting burned on three different online Phantasy Star games, I'm done dealing with their crap.

bread's done
Back