Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (AA5) - DLC episode released!

I purchased and downloaded the game yesterday. Unfortunately, I was otherwise occupied for the evening, so I didn't get to play it at all. Hopefully I will be able to get to it over the weekend, but I'm very busy at the moment.

Gotta say, the new Examine setup is much improved. The cursor tells you if you can examine an item or not and checks off stuff that you have already examined. Much better than older games.

Was also neat using Apollo's bracelet outside the courtroom.

Is it just me, or did Apollo and Trucy hit a massive growth spurt between games? It's only been one year game-time but they went from teenager-sized to adult-sized. Then again, Athena is supposed to be 18, so maybe it's just the art style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say, the new Examine setup is much improved. The cursor tells you if you can examine an item or not and checks off stuff that you have already examined. Much better than older games.

Was also neat using Apollo's bracelet outside the courtroom.

Is it just me, or did Apollo and Trucy hit a massive growth spurt between games? It's only been one year game-time but they went from teenager-sized to adult-sized. Then again, Athena is supposed to be 18, so maybe it's just the art style.
Actually it is worst because now you can't search random places (like the office). They were some of the best conversation in the game.

For anyone still following this thread, I just wanted to remind you to get the free costumes while they're still free!

While we're on the topic... is anyone actually using them yet? I tried Athena's schoolgirl outfit, but the novelty wore really fast...

Yea, I ended up switching Athena back to her default outfit.

Seeing Apollo in casual duds and a backpack doing his lawyering thing was funny, though.

Finished Case 2. Blackquill is very Godot-like (sans any hatred for Apollo) but his bird Taka and his interactions will Fulbright (who is AWESOME) were fun. The final clue minigame thingy at the end was pretty interesting too.

The free costumes are through the game. There's an "extras" menu that will navigate you to purchase the costumes.

Finished the first case; loving it so far. Welcome back, Nick! It's been way too long.  :bow: 

Going back and forth between this, Pokémon X, and Investigations 2 (legal Japanese DS copy + walkthrough).

Started Case 3. Klavier's return was great and the mock trial was one of my favorite scenes in any Ace Attorney game yet.

For Junie's sake, I hope she doesn't have Maggie's luck...

I took a brief break and played through the first half of the first case. Loving it. Definitely has that classic Phoenix Wright charm that I enjoy so much. Just hoping I'm able to scrounge up the time to play some more this week.

Finished Case 3 and started Case 4. The rather puzzling technology of this world pops up again. We have a holographic scanner that can read emotions and heartbeats, yet a crucial piece of evidence in Case 3 is an early 90's tape recorder. And no, it's not digital.

Finished Case 3 and started Case 4. The rather puzzling technology of this world pops up again. We have a holographic scanner that can read emotions and heartbeats, yet a crucial piece of evidence in Case 3 is an early 90's tape recorder. And no, it's not digital.
Haha, it doesn't get much better later on.

Finished the game. Wow. The last chapter of Case 5 was pretty mind-blowing. Comes pretty close to topping the final chapter of Case 3-5.

Will likely play some more Pokemon, then go back into Case 5-5 to get the Non-Standard Game Overs.

Yeah, Case 5 was a doozy.  For a while I thought
a robot did it, at least the old crime from 7 years ago
but that ended up not being the case.

I initially thought that
Clay was the initial culprit and Arme was the second, but by mid-case I had no idea and figured it was a 3rd party killer like....well...DeKiller

In hindsight, I can understand why the staff made that person the culprit. Anybody the least bit Genre Savvy knows the accused didn't do it, and the two other people didn't fit. And you know it wouldn't be a returning character. By process of elimination, there was only one answer.

I also thought
Metis may have killed herself somehow, but that wouldn't add up with the event in the present day either like with the robot theory.  Also thought for a moment it could be Aura but I figured they wouldn't go there.

Yea,
Aura was one of my top suspects until the hostage situation. There would be no point in that if she was the Phantom.

The whammy also provides a nice RL reason why Gumshoe, Meekins, and Ema do not appear. They would have taken away his limited screen time and the Player Punch would not have been as hard.

Yeah I totally didn't suspect
him because I just assumed he was the new Gumshoe.  I'm glad he isn't, he was kind of annoying.  Hopefully Gumshoe comes back next game.  One thing about the ending is that it still leaves things unanswered.  The phantom was obviously working for someone.  But who?  I guess it's out of the scope of Phoenix's work but we are just never going to get an answer, are we?

It is out of the scope of Phoenix's work, but NOT Edgeworth or Franziska's, especially going by Investigations. I wouldn't be surprised if Kristoph or DeKiller know who Phantom was working for.

Finally got around to buying this game (my first time buying from the eShop) - downloading now, but it's taking a while. I haven't clicked any of those spoilers yet, but I was tempted to.

GDI...bought game on release and didn't even know about any DLC for it until today which is now after the free period.  Thanks for nothing Capcom... :evil:

I finished the first case, and have started into the second. Still has that signature style and flair that I love this series for. Very reassuring. I also have to say that I love the way in which they've handled the 3D graphics in this installment. They've done a masterful job of paying homage to the pixel graphics of the original, while still integrating the strengths of using 3D graphics. The visual style and animations in the game are just delightful.

The only thing I miss is that, since Ema isn't around, there's no forensics minigames like last time. There is a fingerprint analysis later on, but it happens off-screen.

The DLC case is now out for $5.99. You can buy it through the DLC option, and it can be accessed after purchase with the "Special Episode" option on the main menu.

...I now need downloadable pirate costumes for Phoenix and Athena. Especially Athena.

EDIT: Yay! The forensics kit returns!

Yea, it pretty much encapsulates what the series is all about.

I was hoping Dr. Crab would be in a cutscene and voiced by Steven Blum, though. It was just begging to happen.

Finally completed the game and I'm working on the special case. Anyone know if Capcom plans to do more episodes in the form of DLC?

GDI...bought game on release and didn't even know about any DLC for it until today which is now after the free period. Thanks for nothing Capcom... :evil:
Yeah, I did the same. Oh well, my impression is that the DLC case is worth the price. Not sure about the costumes though.

Already finished the first 3 cases. I look forward to the next cases.

I finished playing the main game last week. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It didn't quite live up to some of the previous outings, but I think they were finding their feet a little bit dealing with the new 3D approach. By the end it had managed to hook me in that signature Phoenix Wright way.

I was already considering getting the DLC case, but I'm going to wait a little bit. I started playing through Twilight Princess to clear out some of the major titles in my backlog, and I'm far enough into that game that I know I'm going to see it through.

bread's done
Back