Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (AA5) - DLC episode released!

All costume DLC is coming to the West.

Oh and the game is going to be $30 exactly. Perfect for those with the $30 credit from the FE:A & SMT4 promo.
What about sales tax? I heard people can make their state one that doesn't get taxed, but isn't that tied to Club Nintendo info? Anyway with it being digital only, there'll likely be a sale.

I wonder how Nintendo feels about all the Phoenix Wright games they'll be selling later this year. ;)
What other games this year?

Unless GameStop is offering one of their in-store purchase things, there's no way to pre-order. The eShop just has a normal Wish List.

Regarding my comment about how Nintendo feels about all the Phoenix Wright games they'll be selling... I just noticed that just about everyone I've seen online has mentioned they're burning their eShop credit on AA5.

Would love the original Phoenix trilogy on 3DS, though... :bouncy:

/and Investigations 2, but that's beating a dead horse

Capcom has announced (Warning: Link may contain spoiler screenshots regarding a returning character) a release date for the US/EU: October 24th, 2013!

On another note, the fan translation team for AAI2 released a beta patch that translates Cases 1 and 2 for that game, you can find more details on GAF or Court-Records.

Finally! They were taking their sweet time on announcing the release date. I wonder if it had anything to do with the localization. I know what I'm going to be doing that weekend.

Yup, definitely going to use my $30 FE:A/SMTIV credit on this.  I hope sales for Dual Destinies are good enough to get Investigations 2 localized, along with Vs. Professor Layton. 

Yeah, unless they decide to port the AAI games to something else, your best bet to play AAI2 in English will likely be the fan-translation.

Last edited by a moderator:
A demo for this game is supposed to be going up on the eShop today.

Demo is really short.  The 3D characters look like shit so I'm not sure why they didn't just stick with 2D.  The voices are shit as expected; they had the money to dub the voices but not put this out at retail?  Otherwise it's the same old AA game everyone knows and loves.  Still not sure if I want to support Capcom, but AA fans shouldn't be disappointed.  I consider myself a fan but I think my hatred of Capcom might override that...

I rather liked Donatello as Phoenix...

And Wendee Lee as Athena is pretty expected given how hyperactive she is.

Demo is really short. The 3D characters look like shit so I'm not sure why they didn't just stick with 2D. The voices are shit as expected; they had the money to dub the voices but not put this out at retail? Otherwise it's the same old AA game everyone knows and loves. Still not sure if I want to support Capcom, but AA fans shouldn't be disappointed. I consider myself a fan but I think my hatred of Capcom might override that...
But if you like what Capcom puts out why don't you want to support that?

But if you like what Capcom puts out why don't you want to support that?
Because, I guess, Capcom could actually REALLY use it now ($152 million, anyone?), and people still angry at them think they deserve to go under. I don't know.

Meanwhile, I'll have likely spent enough to cover all the folks here who truly ARE cheapass enough not to purchase the game they KNOW they want! $150 for the LE import and buying it stateside, too. Super excited.

So, given that this is Cheap Ass Gamer—has anyone figured out a way to score this for less than $30?

3DS prepaid cards, store sales, etc.?

I'm willing to spend full price, but if there's a sale I'll be all over it :)

That's one of the worst things about digital download—there's no competition between stores, so you don't get sales or combo deals.

So, given that this is Cheap Ass Gamer—has anyone figured out a way to score this for less than $30?

3DS prepaid cards, store sales, etc.?

I'm willing to spend full price, but if there's a sale I'll be all over it :)

That's one of the worst things about digital download—there's no competition between stores, so you don't get sales or combo deals.
Well you can flip physical games and buy e-shop money with said GC's such as Bestbuy or Gamestop.

I have been waiting for this game too long to wait for a sale. I bought Fire Emblem and SMT for this game and by God, I am getting it Day 1.

I have been waiting for this game too long to wait for a sale. I bought Fire Emblem and SMT for this game and by God, I am getting it Day 1.
^ THIS! I am counting down the days until I can blow my eShop credit on the latest Phoenix Wright game. I was afraid it wasn't going to come out here.

I bought the last three Ace Attorney games the day they launched for full price. It will be no different for this one. There aren't many series that I'm willing to do this for, but this is one of them. I get Ace Attorney as soon as I can, and I usually play through it immediately.

Yeah... I am also in on Day 1. I'm just used to physical media like Blu-rays where even on release day you can find the cheapest store, tack on a coupon, and get the movie at half price. Or iTunes, where you can get everything for 20% off if you stock up on gift cards ahead of time--but I haven't seen any discounted prepard cards for 3DS.

Hm, they announced this at the beginning of the month, but with the demo and all, it sort of flew under the radar.

The Extra Costumes DLC will be available for free during the first two weeks after release (10/24-11/7). After the promo period is over, the costume DLC go to $0.99.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/xantista/blog/2013/10/01/play-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney---dual-destinies-right-now

We’re happy to announce that these costumes will be available DAY ONE when the game launches on October 24th. The price, you ask? Well, prices don’t get much lower than FREE, my friends. That’s right, for limited time (from Oct. 24th to Nov. 7th to be precise) those alternate costumes will be available for zip, zero, nada.

Following that two week period, the alternate character costumes can be unlocked for $.99

Flew under the radar, eh? Story of this franchise's life. :roll:

I'll pick up the costume pack to play as Classic Feenie, should I tire of Modern Feenie.

Any news on the bonus case's pricing?

Heh, Eurogamer Italy accidentally posted their review a little early. They've removed it, but I managed to grab the text from Google Translate:

Eurogamer Italy: 9/10
The years pass, change video games and consoles evolve, but some series continue to maintain the magic that has helped them get into the hearts of fans. Since 2001, the year in which Phoenix Wright made ​​his first appearance in Japan on the Nintendo GameBoy Advance, things will have changed a lot and so many more or less famous sagas have been forced into deformation in an attempt to maintain a prominent position in a changing market and capricious.

Just think of examples such as Sonic, Final Fantasy or Resident Evil to realize how in more than 10 years things have changed drastically and how, some more and some less, celebrated sagas have struggled to stay afloat, often alternating between good performance in flasks unforgivable.

In this panorama of the Phoenix Wright series is a pleasant exception, because although not always maintaining the same peak quality has been satisfying fans by offering intriguing cases, excellent scripts, witty dialogue and characters over the top.

While remaining firmly rooted in its origins, in fact, the saga of Phoenix Wright has found the right balance between introducing new mechanics (especially during interrogation, pivotal point of the experience) and the maintenance of the traditional elements so dear to fans.

During the evolution of the series we have seen him perform and then disappear characters of some importance, even assisting in a shocking change of character with the episode dedicated to Apollo Justice, a character very different from the glorious Phoenix but still be able to hold up the scene and excite players.

Although it has proved to be pleasant, however, the parenthesis of Apollo did not convince the general public to the point of leaving behind the figure of Wright, who in Dual Destinies reprising the title role, alternating with just the good from the Justice booming voice.

And it is alternating characters from the previous chapters that Dual Destinies manages to exceed expectations, offering comprehensive experience of the most popular gameplay mechanics of the past, suitably complemented by new elements to discover.

Depending on the characters involved in the cases proposed the game offers its users several ways to put pressure on witnesses during trials, now analyzing any nervous tics due to lack of sincerity, now presenting evidence to the defense scardinarne, or still controlling the mood or searching out the links between particular events.

These last two mechanics, in particular, their debut in the Dual Destinies and are in addition to other instruments that the player can use to solve complex cases in the game. Cases that, as usual, not only are distinguished by the absurdity of the situations presented, but also and especially for the constant reversals they face between a witness and the other.

The system called Mood Matrix is ​​the strength of Athena Cykes, an expert in computer science and criminal psychology able to combine these two skills to make clearer statements of witnesses prey to conflicting emotions.

Using this technique, in practice, to the four corners of the screen shows the emoticons associated to the same moods that light follows the course of the deposition. When two or more conflicting emotions are shown at the same time the player must choose which of these is not in line with what was said by the witness and thus indicate the way to go during the interrogation.

For the rest of the game continues to follow the traditional pattern of the other chapters of the series, alternating phases of investigation at the crime scene, interviews with possible witnesses, gathering evidence, and finally, the inevitable process, where all the work done up to then finally gives the desired results.

This gear is perfectly balanced by years of history is going to enter a brand new technical realization, which leaves the two-dimensional illustrations in favor of highly detailed polygonal models and that, fortunately, do not miss the old graphics.

All the characters have been designed with great care to the point of being identical to their counterparts drawn. The difference is that, in the Dual Destinies, animations of each character in the game are fluid and convincing, to the benefit of the already excellent characterization that was guaranteed in the past.

The transition to 3D also allowed the development team to play a lot more with prospects and with the shots, opting for dramatic camera movements during the most intense action. All this, accompanied by the usual soundtrack of the highest level and be able to point out with perfect timing every single change the atmosphere of the game, gives Dual Destinies charisma typical of the series, if possible, further expanding with new touches included in the recipe .

Watching the beautiful animations of Phoenix, Apollo, Athena and some very welcome return (no spoilers, do not worry), but most of the witnesses and prosecutors (perfectly able to meet the high expectations of fans after the excellent figures of past episodes ), is not only rewarding but also extremely fun thanks to the excellent characterization work done by the development team.

The use of polygonal models, moreover, also affected the gameplay of investigative step, allowing you to observe the environments from multiple angles in search of clues more or less important to build customer advocacy.

For obvious reasons we do not go into details about the cases in the game (one of the greatest strengths of the series is just the quality of the script to reveal a little at a time), but from a game that unites the spectacle of wrestling to the ancient monsters of mythology Japanese, putting everything in a crime that you can not expect great things.

What else, then? Dual Destinies is a very good episode in the saga of Phoenix Wright, as well as being able to effectively exploit the potential of the Nintendo 3DS duty. Precisely for this reason the regret of not being able to buy the physical copy is rather important, because if there is a saga that deserves to be collezionata with love, this is precisely Ace Attorney from Capcom.

9/10

Flew under the radar, eh? Story of this franchise's life. :roll:

I'll pick up the costume pack to play as Classic Feenie, should I tire of Modern Feenie.

Any news on the bonus case's pricing?
No major news on that front, though they just updated the official site with DLC info/instructions:
http://www.ace-attorney.com/dualdestinies/dlc/

The DLC case is TBA; the page says that it now unlocks the Young (Ah-chooAh-chooAh-choo) Phoenix costume upon completion, something the Japanese version of the DLC case didn't do.

Apparently the game is out now. The reviews are coming in and seem to be largely positive. I tend not to read all the way through them. (I don't want any spoilers) But most seem to indicate that the elements I loved from the previous games in the series are alive and well in this installment. That's all I need to hear. I'll snag a copy from the E-Shop when I get home. My 3DS is in the charging cradle right now.

Yep, they added it with the normal eShop update this morning. I'm downloading it now. The size is 4432 blocks (554MB).

I have a day job. I can't just bring my 3DS in to the office. So when a game is launched like this, I have to wait until after work before enjoying it. I'll only be able to play a little bit of it tonight as well. I've been working on a costume for Halloween lately, and I only have a week to finish it. I've actually made some great progress, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have this week so I'm trying to hurry.

bread's done
Back