Pinball FX 2 - Free Paranormal table from 10/26 to 11/2!!!

Got my review codes last night. Going to check this out tonight most likely. I never played the original so I'm going into this with an open mind.

[quote name='mtxbass1']All tables should have a trial now...

Biolab is an absolutely amazing table. There is a pretty cool minigame where you guide the ball through a maze by using the bumpers. Great graphics and sound on that one.[/QUOTE]

I could be mistaken, but did all the tables have a trial beforehand?

Also, I second Biolab. It was one of the tables that made me really want the game. I traded a CAG for the codes for both the original and Pinball FX2 last night.

I'm a bit of a pinball junkie. I remember playing Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gotlieb Collection with much fondness during the brief time I owned a PSP. Pinball of the Dead for the GBA was much-loved, and Metroid Prime Pinball was a delight.

So saying, yeah, I had to own this.

[quote name='Spybreak8']By the way the Rocky and Bullwinkle table is the most produced table within the bunch so I don't understand your reasoning thinking it's crap.[/QUOTE]

What does that mean, that it's the most produced table?

[quote name='Spybreak8']I'm digging the wizard shirt. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm digging the wizard girl set. I'm a little confused about the wizard scoring system. I played this morning, and on the first table it said that I now had a wizard score of 5. It seems to have a tournament and a friends multiplier, as well as a multiplier based on how many tables I played. I played the table a second time, and my wizard score was still 5.

Does this score start over every day? Otherwise, I don't know how I'm supposed to hit 100,000 to get that avatar award.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I could be mistaken, but did all the tables have a trial beforehand?

[/QUOTE]

Not to my knowledge. I know that every add on table I bought in part 1 was a pure blind buy.

To someone else above. I feel the same way about the older tables now. They're actually playable and fun. The nightmare dlc table used to really suck and now it's so fantastic.

I plan on supporting every single table they put out for this game.

I tried a bit of the demo last night after finally getting the thing to download right. Live was acting very weird for my yesterday. It was saying not all services were available, but I had Pinball FX (and the Lara Croft DLC) queued up via the web page and they downloaded, but then were no where to be found. Actually they did show up in the Memory section of the Xbox settings, but Pinball FX was nowhere to be found in my list of games. I tried "redownloading" which took all of 2 seconds, but still it didn't show up. I gave up and then later it seemed like Live was back up and I could browse games in the marketplace, but still Pinball FX 2 didn't show up. So finally I deleted it from the hard drive via those memory settings and then redownloaded it and *finally* it showed up. Weird. Anyway, I liked what I played of it for the most part. The physics are certainly much better then the original (that I didn't like at all, in part because of that.) I've spent my 2400 this month, but I may pick this up with my freebie 800 points once I get that.

[quote name='JessFest']I'm a bit of a pinball junkie. I remember playing Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gotlieb Collection with much fondness during the brief time I owned a PSP. Pinball of the Dead for the GBA was much-loved, and Metroid Prime Pinball was a delight.[/quote]

I admit I am too. Williams Hall of Fame really got me interested in playing the real thing. There's a bowling alley/bar about 25 minutes from me that has like 40 machines, even the new ones Avatar and Iron Man!

[quote name='2DMention']I admit I am too. Williams Hall of Fame really got me interested in playing the real thing. There's a bowling alley/bar about 25 minutes from me that has like 40 machines, even the new ones Avatar and Iron Man![/QUOTE]

Same here, except there's no local place to play. I've got a local contact that is wanting to sell me a completely restored Funhouse machine for $1500. It's absolutely perfect but I just can't justify that much for a single machine.

I found a table locally for sale, but the owner wants to research how much it's "worth" before he gives me a price. I am trying to lowball him because it's missing the key for the coin bank and doesn't have any balls. I'll post a pic when I get home.

OT:

While I am overloaded with AAA games to play, I spent a good amount of time yesterday with the FX1 tables and had a good time. I'm going to try and pickup some points this weekend and buy the FX2 tables and a couple DLC ones

[quote name='utopianmachine']I could be mistaken, but did all the tables have a trial beforehand?

Also, I second Biolab. It was one of the tables that made me really want the game. I traded a CAG for the codes for both the original and Pinball FX2 last night.

I'm a bit of a pinball junkie. I remember playing Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gotlieb Collection with much fondness during the brief time I owned a PSP. Pinball of the Dead for the GBA was much-loved, and Metroid Prime Pinball was a delight.

So saying, yeah, I had to own this.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I have been playing virtual pinball for a while with Epic Pinball on the PC and also Metroid Pinball for the DS (the rumble pack with that game is really cool).

What does that mean, that it's the most produced table?
I'm saying it's the best table to use the license and have quality sound effects and diolague from the source material.
I'm digging the wizard girl set. I'm a little confused about the wizard scoring system. I played this morning, and on the first table it said that I now had a wizard score of 5. It seems to have a tournament and a friends multiplier, as well as a multiplier based on how many tables I played. I played the table a second time, and my wizard score was still 5.

Does this score start over every day? Otherwise, I don't know how I'm supposed to hit 100,000 to get that avatar award.

Yeah I can't figure out how to start a tournament or how that factors into the score but if you buy other tables that table multiplier will go up. I believe if you have friends you play the game as well you get a bonus there too.

I'm sitting around 126 for my Superscore and I purchased the new tables, imported the old ones and beat a few friend's highscores. Yeah haha I could play this game for hours with 13 tables to choose from now. :bouncy:

Oh one question though, with the Deep table how do you use the crane to collect the probe. I use the flipper to move the crane but always loose the probe even if I'm close to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I played a lot of pinball when I was kid but nobody ever "taught" me how to play pinball. What exactly is the tilt supposed to do? I thought it was just used in real machines to avoid free balls or cheating or something and don't quite understand the use of it in a digital pinball game.

[quote name='woodcan']OK, I played a lot of pinball when I was kid but nobody ever "taught" me how to play pinball. What exactly is the tilt supposed to do? I thought it was just used in real machines to avoid free balls or cheating or something and don't quite understand the use of it in a digital pinball game.[/QUOTE]

You can often bump a machine to shift the playing field under a ball. Lots of players will bump from the bottom of the machine to force a ball back out on to the field that has passed the bottom bumpers. It takes real skill to tilt a machine correctly, but once you learn how, it's quite awesome.

[quote name='mtxbass1']You can often bump a machine to shift the playing field under a ball. Lots of players will bump from the bottom of the machine to force a ball back out on to the field that has passed the bottom bumpers. It takes real skill to tilt a machine correctly, but once you learn how, it's quite awesome.[/QUOTE]

Well, you use to be able to do "death saves" and "bang backs", but you haven't been able to do them on machines for quite some time now - they designed it out of newer games (newer being relative - you have to go many years back). I mean the real machines, of course. More importantly, that was, in effect, a cheat, which is why they designed it out of the games.

The real part of the game comes in the form of bumping the machine to affect the ball while it's in play (not out of play), and doing so without tilting. That's always been a part of the game. It's not a cheat - you can't just shove the machine and expect good results - too much and you're going to tilt. Pinball machines have a little pendulum inside them - a "tilt bob". It's a pendulum with a metal ring around it. If the tilt bob hits the metal ring it makes contact and you get a warning. Typically games are set up to allow two warnings, and then the third time it hits the ring you tilt. On older machines (early solid state and earlier), there were no warnings. If you were just to shove the machine the tilt bob would swing back and forth like crazy and hit it three or more times in one fell swoop and you'd tilt immediately.

There's a lot of skill to it. There's general bumping to coerce the ball somewhere (or away from somewhere), but then there's things like slap saves, which I'm pretty pretty good at. In essence you slap one side of the machine while flipping (slap the button), which for an instant jars the ball toward that flipper, then nearly immediately do the same thing on the other side. "BAP-BAP". If you do it just right you'll knock the ball over to the other flipper and then be able to flip it back up onto the playfield with that flipper. You do this when the ball is headed down the middle, but closer to one flipper then the other.

Alas, slap saves I don't think any video game has ever simulated. Not to mention the bumping in general. Pressing a button to bump the machine is not even remotely the same thing.

EDIT: while death saves and bang backs where designed out of the games, there was one Sega pinball machine that actually gave you a bonus for performing a death save. I can't remember which one it was now. It did this by noting that the ball had hit the rollover switch in an outlane, which would normally mean the ball drains. If you did a death save or bang back the ball would end up back on the playfield and if it hit another switch (likely), it then figured you'd done a death save and gave you a bonus.

EDIT2: Oops, not Sega, Data East. But really they were the same company. In fact the lone remaining pinball manufacturer, Stern, is really Sega, which was Data East. Sega bought Data East, then Gary Stern bought Sega Pinball. Anyway, the game was Data East's The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends (1993).

Ok I finally got how to control the crane for Secrets of the Deep and was able to grab the achievement. ^^

Anyone understand the tournament system in this game?!

So it appears the original Pinball FX has been delisted...along with all the DLC for it. So much for getting the rest of the achievements. Why didn't they give us a warning before they took it down? I had planned on buying the dlc tables then importing them into Pinball FX 2.

[quote name='Redrazorback']So it appears the original Pinball FX has been delisted...along with all the DLC for it. So much for getting the rest of the achievements. Why didn't they give us a warning before they took it down? I had planned on buying the dlc tables then importing them into Pinball FX 2.[/QUOTE]

You can still buy all the old tables. You do it through Pinball FX2 now. One nice bonus is that all the tables have demos now, whereas before they didn't.

I didn't know they added split-screen in part 2! You can only use it with the new tables, though. So I bought the new tables. Looking forward to playing them soon.

I played a lot of multiplayer last night. It's pretty fun if you can get a good group. You basically get unlimited balls and it's a race to a pre-set score. You get a score penalty for each ball you lost (like 10%).

Fun times. We should get some people on here online and playing.

[quote name='eastx']I didn't know they added split-screen in part 2! You can only use it with the new tables, though. So I bought the new tables. Looking forward to playing them soon.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if it was only the new tables. Oh well. I'm looking forward to my hubby and I battling each other! We really like the game and ended up buying 4 of the old add-on courses. I would have bought Street Fighter II as well, but there's a glitch where you can't buy it. It's not even available on Xbox.com. If you try to buy through the console, it errors out.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I played a lot of multiplayer last night. It's pretty fun if you can get a good group. You basically get unlimited balls and it's a race to a pre-set score. You get a score penalty for each ball you lost (like 10%).

Fun times. We should get some people on here online and playing.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering what that 10% penalty meant. Tried to get in on a multiplayer game the other night but it seemed to glitch up and nothing happened.

[quote name='utopianmachine']You can still buy all the old tables. You do it through Pinball FX2 now. One nice bonus is that all the tables have demos now, whereas before they didn't.[/QUOTE]
I realize you can buy the old tables for Pinball FX 2, and I'm glad they've added demos, but does buying them through Pinball FX 2 unlock them in the first game? There were achievements specific to the dlc tables that I never got and I was hoping to be able to finish those up. I'm not sure thats possible now though.

Okay, I've determined it's almost impossible to reach 100,000 Wizard score. Certainly, it can't really be accomplished on your own. You would have to have quite the roster of friends with quality scores to ever achieve 100,000 WS. It makes me sad, as I really liked that pinball wizard outfit.

[quote name='Redrazorback']I realize you can buy the old tables for Pinball FX 2, and I'm glad they've added demos, but does buying them through Pinball FX 2 unlock them in the first game? There were achievements specific to the dlc tables that I never got and I was hoping to be able to finish those up. I'm not sure thats possible now though.[/QUOTE]

dlc is dlc. It'll work on both. I'm still able to get the achievements from pinball fx 1.

If anyone is up for multiplayer, I'd be down. I have most all tables.

I'm also always down for some competitive play! I like the challenges addition here but again does anyone understand the tournament system? Is that when the dev decides to make a tournament maybe?

Hey. I just downloaded this full game for free at 1:15 Central time. Not sure why it allowed me to do it or if that is how it works for this game.

I finally decided to buy this and it's fun, but like when I tried the first one a long time ago, I find the rules to be confusing, or perhaps more correctly, it's difficult to figure out what you are suppose to be doing. Reading the rule sheets is painful and not always really that helpful as they aren't clear either. Maybe it's just me. Still, it's pretty fun. Tonight for some reason, though, I see no scores of friends on any of the games. Yesterday when I played I could see friends scores and got notified as I went along who I was approaching in score and such which is very cool. Tonight there was none of that. Anyone else see this issue? I was online. Maybe just a temporary live issue?

Anyway, please add me as a friend so we can compare scores and perhaps play a multiplayer game. I'm "crunc is".

Man, do I love this game... So, couple of questions for everyone, just out of curiosity... First, what view does everyone use? Personally, I use 3, but that's mainly because it helps me see a little better on my SD tv.

Second, what are everyone's fav and least fav boards? I really like Secrets of the Deep, though I do better on Biolab (My score was ranked 23rd for a while. It's dropped down into the 40's since...) On the other hand, I really don't like Rome. Usually, I can't score above 1 million on that one. I have a hard time telling where it wants me to shoot a lot of the time...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I was looking forward to buying this and the first game, but it seems like they've pulled the first game for no reason.[/QUOTE]

The first game is still available as the Classic Pack within the Pinball FX2 menu. The free Pinball FX2 download is actually an a la carte menu for downloading any of the tables past or present. All the achievements are still available on older tables as well. So if you were looking to play the first game there's nothing stopping you from doing so.

[quote name='BlueWingX']Man, do I love this game... So, couple of questions for everyone, just out of curiosity... First, what view does everyone use? Personally, I use 3, but that's mainly because it helps me see a little better on my SD tv.

Second, what are everyone's fav and least fav boards? I really like Secrets of the Deep, though I do better on Biolab (My score was ranked 23rd for a while. It's dropped down into the 40's since...) On the other hand, I really don't like Rome. Usually, I can't score above 1 million on that one. I have a hard time telling where it wants me to shoot a lot of the time...[/QUOTE]

View 6 for me as I like to see the whole table. Actually does anyone know if you can set a default view? I couldn't find the option, but it's annoying to have to scroll through the views each time I play a different table.

[quote name='BlueWingX']Man, do I love this game... So, couple of questions for everyone, just out of curiosity... First, what view does everyone use? Personally, I use 3, but that's mainly because it helps me see a little better on my SD tv.

Second, what are everyone's fav and least fav boards? I really like Secrets of the Deep, though I do better on Biolab (My score was ranked 23rd for a while. It's dropped down into the 40's since...) On the other hand, I really don't like Rome. Usually, I can't score above 1 million on that one. I have a hard time telling where it wants me to shoot a lot of the time...[/QUOTE]

I switch between 3 and 5. Mostly 3 though.

Fav board? Probably Buccaneer or Biolab.
Least fav? Street Fighter. I just can't get a high score to save my life. There are so many dead zones in the table. Way too many flipper shots result in hitting nothing and a ricochet straight into the gutter.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Okay, I've determined it's almost impossible to reach 100,000 Wizard score. Certainly, it can't really be accomplished on your own. You would have to have quite the roster of friends with quality scores to ever achieve 100,000 WS. It makes me sad, as I really liked that pinball wizard outfit.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. I've got one guy on my friend list that has played the game. I played all the original tables, including DLC tables. My wizard score is around 300. Even if I bought all the FX2 tables, I don't think I'd even reach the 5,000 wizard score. To get to 100,000, I'd need like 20 people on my friend list that put at least a little time into this game. We should maybe have a group of CAGs to friend up.

I either really stink at pinball, which I do, or I need to figure out these different tables. I read the descriptions for the different achievements and no idea how to get them. Either it is luck, or I need to read a guide to help me out.

[quote name='Hoffer']
I was thinking the same thing. I've got one guy on my friend list that has played the game. I played all the original tables, including DLC tables. My wizard score is around 300. Even if I bought all the FX2 tables, I don't think I'd even reach the 5,000 wizard score. To get to 100,000, I'd need like 20 people on my friend list that put at least a little time into this game. We should maybe have a group of CAGs to friend up.

I either really stink at pinball, which I do, or I need to figure out these different tables. I read the descriptions for the different achievements and no idea how to get them. Either it is luck, or I need to read a guide to help me out.
[/QUOTE]

Shoot me a FR on Live. I've got a pretty good score, and so does a buddy on my list, so you'll definitely get a boost if interested.

[quote name='whiptcracker']View 6 for me as I like to see the whole table. Actually does anyone know if you can set a default view? I couldn't find the option, but it's annoying to have to scroll through the views each time I play a different table.[/QUOTE]

Whatever view you choose for a table sticks, so the next time you play it you get that view. You could choose a different view for each table if you want. I wish there were some more choices for fixed views. I don't care for the scrolling, but I wish there were fixed views that showed a more direct from above view. The existing low-angle fixed views make it hard to shoot things in the upper portions of the some of the game playfields, and it's hard to play without a fixed view because the scrolling is so jarring. But worst of all is that the games are not intuitive at all. Like somebody else said, it's difficult to tell what you are suppose to be doing in many of the games. This is because the developers of this game are obviously (real) pinball fans, but probably have only Pinball FX 1 as experience in designing games. Oh well. Still fun, but I'd rather play Pinball Hall of Fame. I hope they make a sequel to that soon. Yesterday in fact.

Yeah that was one of the main problems with the first, always having to switch to your preferred view. I usually use 4 as it's zoomed out enough to give me a warning if the ball is in danger but not too far so you can't see what's going on. I like the zoomed in views but like I said you can't tell where it's going most of the time.

My favorite board is Speed Machine but Buccaneer is a close second. My least fav is still Extreme, I just don't like the layout of that table at all. It is easier to play with the new physics though.

As for the rules of each table, like the original, there will be people helping you out there over on the xbox forums. Once I read a rule sheet of what to do for each mission on Speed Machine my score and fun for that table trippled. I kind of like not knowing everything about the table; you have to explore it and try to master the table, which is half the fun.

Woohoo I got the Pinball Wizard outfit over the weekend. I wish it didn't have that stupid looking belt though.

Just keep adding friends who play the game and if you get enough with decent scores eventually you'll unlock the Pinball Wizard outfit. In my case I had to add about 30 friends to unlock it. If you only have a couple tables it'll probably take you a hell of a lot more friends since one of the multipliers is the number of tables you've played.

Got and accepted your request Pure, and I just sent a bunch of requests out myself, so if you see one from crunc is, that's me!

This is a great game. Played it over the weekend with all the tables I had from the original version. Plus a few downloads Nightmare Mansion, Rocky and Bullwinkle and the Street Fighter Table.

I just picked up a 4000 points card so I think I am going to buy table pack for part 2.

What are the opinions on Excalibur and Earth Defense?

What are the opinions on Excalibur and Earth Defense?
You might want to ask someone else because I like em all lol. I tend to enjoy Earth Defense a bit more just because it's easier for me to hit the places that need to be hit. Excalibur is neat as it has a varied board though.

No one on my friend list is playing this, so feel free to add me (via PM) if you're trying to unlock the Wizard Outfit as i'd like it as well. Am just missing a couple of tables but will be purchasing them tonight. Gotta love the sf2 table and wait for it...Rocky & Bullwinkle.

[quote name='flybrione']This is a great game. Played it over the weekend with all the tables I had from the original version. Plus a few downloads Nightmare Mansion, Rocky and Bullwinkle and the Street Fighter Table.

I just picked up a 4000 points card so I think I am going to buy table pack for part 2.

What are the opinions on Excalibur and Earth Defense?[/QUOTE]

I really like playing Excalibur.

[quote name='flybrione']This is a great game. Played it over the weekend with all the tables I had from the original version. Plus a few downloads Nightmare Mansion, Rocky and Bullwinkle and the Street Fighter Table.

What are the opinions on Excalibur and Earth Defense?[/QUOTE]
I bought both recently. They're like 200 points each. If you're on the fence, just do it. It's $2... ;)

I do prefer Excalibur more than Earth Defense.

Seems like everyone is leaning towards Excalibur so I will buy this one first. I have 300 points right now that I really can't do much with and then buy the rest later. If anyone wants to add me to help them get the Wizard Outfit feel free.

I did the trials of all the add-on machines (including classic Pinball FX) last night. None of them jump out as that great - they all definitely feel like an old version of the game. However the trial isn't that long so it's hard to tell. I'll probably pick them up at some point, in large part because I love how this game handles high scores. Just need more of you folks to accept my friend request so we can compare scores! :) Of the ones I tried, certainly Excalibur and Earth Defense seem the most interesting, so I'll probably get those first.

I could be retarded, but I was wondering if you guys would help me out...I just downloaded the Excalibur table this morning (200 points) and it will not show up on my FX 2 to play. Any thoughts?

I had trouble getting the trials to show up within the game, and I think the problem proved to be that you can't navigate away from the download window within the game or the downloads stop. You can continue them later by starting tge download again and it will resume. Could that be the issue for you?

Looks like none of the Pinball FX2 avatar awards work after the dashboard update. This is the only game I have they are not appearing for.

bread's done
Back