Pinball FX 2 - Free Paranormal table from 10/26 to 11/2!!!

[quote name='Wombat']I have had the game for about a week now, it is 100% worth the 10 bucks if you love Marvel & Pinball.[/QUOTE]I do love both Marvel and Pinball, so I bought them without even bothering with the demo. I tried Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Wolverine earlier this morning before I had to get my kids off to school; I like them a lot. Going back now to try out the Blade table.

I got up early this morning and played around with Spider-man and Wolvie. Awesome! I'm glad its old school art which has a nice nostalgic ring to it for me even though I don't really follow comics much anymore.

Feel free to add me. These are my first PFX2 tables and I need friends to beat

So far I've tried three of the four tables... (Wolverine, Iron Man, and Spider-Man)

Seems like allot of people online are racking up some insane scores on Spider-Man... and I wasn't expecting to be one of them... But i guess I am.

I went from breaking 3Mil on Wolverine and Iron Man to breaking a 155Mil!

My next best table (high score wise) I think is King Arthur at 25 million some I'm a little shocked right now. (I also more than doubled my pinball score too.)

Don't think I'll be playing Secrets of the Deep for awhile with the new tables out. By the way, I need some Pinball FX2 playing friends.... PJOC

The marvel pinball tables are an excellent edition to my 4 Pinball FX2 tables. I don't see myself getting the original tables unless they go on sale, hope they do sometime soon.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I need more average players to compete with on the leaderboards. GT: Heatseeker2

Finally broke though to 100k wizard score so I got my robe.

Impressions on Marvel tables:

Blade: Nice artwork, I like how it goes light and dark like Pasha. Seems open and designed like modern pinball tables.

Spider Man - Not a fan of the flipper controls flipping. Too many ramps. Doesn't seem like there's much to do. Probably my least favorite table.

Wolverine - Probably my favorite so far. Old school design.

Iron Man - Somewhat reminds me of the Stern table. Lots of ramps and very difficult.

Definitely worth downloading if you're a marvel or pinball fan. These tables seem better designed than 2's tables.

[quote name='2DMention']Spider Man - Not a fan of the flipper controls flipping.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by that? Is this like that wizard-ish mode in Simpsons Pinball Party where the flipper controls get swapped? The trick there, and it was really fun, was to cross your arms and hold opposite flippers. Really a fun mode. However, swapping like that with a game controller could definitely be more problematic. Could be pretty annoying. Anyway, is that what you're talking about?

We need a pinball controller for the xbox, preferably with motion controls for bumping. :)

Well I managed to scrap up 10 bucks and downloaded the new Marvel tables. It's going to be a while before I figure them out but I'm liking them so far. I've played the Spiderman, Wolverine and Iron Man tables so far. Still playing right now and it's a perfect distraction from the blizzard outside, ahh I love winter!

I love that the Iron Man table has a Party Ramp, hahaha!

[quote name='bigtaco55']Stupid question...but do I need to purchase Pinball FX 2 before I can purchase the Marvel tables?[/QUOTE]

You need to download the Pinball FX2 "client" for the Xbox, but that is a free download.

[quote name='crunchewy']What do you mean by that? Is this like that wizard-ish mode in Simpsons Pinball Party where the flipper controls get swapped? The trick there, and it was really fun, was to cross your arms and hold opposite flippers. Really a fun mode. However, swapping like that with a game controller could definitely be more problematic. Could be pretty annoying. Anyway, is that what you're talking about?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I believe it's one of Mysterio's attacks, and it swaps the flipper controls. I just held my controller upside down until it passed. Cool effect, though.

I'm really loving all of these tables. Out of the 4, I'd say Blade gives me the most trouble, although it's the only one of the 4 from which I got more than 1 achievement. Go figure... I can always hit the ramps when their not lit, but as soon as I need to, I miss every time... Such is the way of pinball, I suppose.

[quote name='crunchewy']What do you mean by that? Is this like that wizard-ish mode in Simpsons Pinball Party where the flipper controls get swapped? The trick there, and it was really fun, was to cross your arms and hold opposite flippers. Really a fun mode. However, swapping like that with a game controller could definitely be more problematic. Could be pretty annoying. Anyway, is that what you're talking about?

We need a pinball controller for the xbox, preferably with motion controls for bumping. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah Spidey gets poisoned or something and the flipper controls get swapped just like you are talking about. It is kind of annoying. I just end up pressing both at once and hoping for the best ;)

[quote name='BlueWingX']Yeah, I believe it's one of Mysterio's attacks, and it swaps the flipper controls. I just held my controller upside down until it passed. Cool effect, though.

Such is the way of pinball, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='porieux']I just end up pressing both at once and hoping for the best ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would have never thought of holding the controller upside down, nice. I agree I usually use both controllers but that can be dangerous if the ball is near the middle gap. Pinball is all mental and everytime you NEED to hit a ramp you can't but other times you just do it like it's second nature. (That damn oil tanker ramp on Agents for example.)

I got 161M on Spiderman, wooo first day too! I think Spiderman is my favorite table out of the 4 although I enjoy Iron Man a lot.

so pumped up for the Marvel tables but damn, $10 for 4 tables? Am gonna hold off until the weekend and see if i can get a good deal on them first. I think some of the other tables are $2 so eh might go for it. I'm glad this game finally got the recognition it deserves and that they're supporting it via dlc and such.

Has anyone experimented with using an arcade stick or other controller types. After long gameplay stretches my hands really begin to cramp up.

I use the LB/RB buttons and L. Analog for nudging. I wish I could use the right analog for nudging, that would be the most comfortable.

I am enjoying all four of the marvel tables, its a good mix of simplistic to complex table designs. I love the way how Iron Man highlights the necessary ramps that are needed to complete mission mode, very easy to identify quickly. Blade has a lot of complex rules, thankfully the rule sheet does an above average job of explaining things. I had beginner's luck on spiderman managing 50 million in my first game.

I may sound like a loser for saying this but Marvel Pinball and Pacman DX are on my GOTY contenders list....awesome value and quality! Fill free to add my Gamertag....its under my avatar

Unlike Williams Pinball Hall of Fame, I really like how PFX2 actually has rules pages that tells you how some of the mechanics work. Still, I have trouble understanding how to take pictures for Jameson or to even get the locks working for Silver Samurai.

On Wolverine, does anyone have a helluva hard time getting the ball on to Sabertooth's disc? I can knock those panels out but I can't seem to find that sweet spot to get it in there.

[quote name='heatseeker2']
I wish I could use the right analog for nudging, that would be the most comfortable.
[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you can change this in the settings. I had nudge on R analog for awhile, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']On Wolverine, does anyone have a helluva hard time getting the ball on to Sabertooth's disc? I can knock those panels out but I can't seem to find that sweet spot to get it in there.[/QUOTE]It certainly seems very finicky at times and not at other times... Early in the countdown I can nail it past with only knocking one panel down... Late in the countdown it seems like even perfect shots get bumped aside.

But I'm not the one to ask... I really 'hate' that table as I lose to far too many balls down the right hand side of the table.

I, myself, would like to know if anyone has had any luck figuring out how to do the skill shot off the Sentinel's foot when lunching the ball on Wolverine? (I've done it a few times... Always with the auto launcher which makes me wonder if its a timing thing other than an amount of force thing.)

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Unlike Williams Pinball Hall of Fame, I really like how PFX2 actually has rules pages that tells you how some of the mechanics work.[/QUOTE]

I thought Williams HOF help was much better in the way the narrator took you around the table and said things like "hit the targets, here, here, and here, to light the ramp here" with arrows clearly showing each shot. Most of the rules stuff I'm learning from FX2 tables comes from discussion boards.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM'] I, myself, would like to know if anyone has had any luck figuring out how to do the skill shot off the Sentinel's foot when lunching the ball on Wolverine? (I've done it a few times... Always with the auto launcher which makes me wonder if its a timing thing other than an amount of force thing.)[/QUOTE] Yeah, I'd like to know that, too. I haven't gotten it once yet.

Having a ton of fun on these so far. Stayed up way too late last night on Spider-Man alone. Looking for some leaderboard pals, so hit me up if you're so inclined: Brett Zacksteve

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Unlike Williams Pinball Hall of Fame, I really like how PFX2 actually has rules pages that tells you how some of the mechanics work.[/QUOTE]

What? PHoF had great rules explanations with fly bys of the playfield and hilighting what you needed to do. What more did you want and where is all that in Pinball FX 2? The rules sheets in FX 2 are woefully inadequate.

Originally Posted by INMATEofARKHAM
I, myself, would like to know if anyone has had any luck figuring out how to do the skill shot off the Sentinel's foot when lunching the ball on Wolverine? (I've done it a few times... Always with the auto launcher which makes me wonder if its a timing thing other than an amount of force thing.)
[quote name='Danimal']Yeah, I'd like to know that, too. I haven't gotten it once yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I believe it is a pressure thing, akin to the Biolab table. Need to know the sweet spot for each location.

I have trouble hitting that damn saucer on the Wolverine table. I'll get it, will just take some time though.

Bought these totally spur of the moment while pretty intoxicated last night and I've got to say this is one of the most fun Arcade games I've played to date. Not really a pinball guy however being a HUGE Marvel nerd I wanted to try it out. Thank God I did. Gonna add a few of you to have someone to compete against on the leaderboards if ya don't mind. So far I'm most proud of my 17mil on Spider-Man, but have a feeling that's little to nothing compared to your guys' score.

I am just getting into Pinball but please feel free to add me to as a friend for some friendly competition Username: BloodzAT (Xbox 360)

[quote name='Nealocus123']Gonna add a few of you to have someone to compete against on the leaderboards if ya don't mind. So far I'm most proud of my 17mil on Spider-Man, but have a feeling that's little to nothing compared to your guys' score.[/QUOTE]If you haven't added me already, feel free to- you'll still be able to feel good about that score. Yeah, some of the guys in here will score much higher than that, but there's not much danger of me passing you on that table. :lol:

By the way, anyone reading this thread who wants to add me, please mention that you're a CAG. I usually don't accept friend requests from random people I don't know, but I'll always accept a request from a fellow CAG.

I'm loving these new tables so far - especially Iron Man and Spiderman. If anyone wants more mediocre scores for their friend list - feel free to add me.

does anyone know if you can cheat the having to purchase anything for achievements if you download the TRIAL marvel pinball tables?

will you still get achievements?

Well I put some time into the new tables... Maybe about half an hour each. I am really enjoying them. I knew I would, lol :) Discovering new things with each and every game.

I know Blade will be my fav once I learn the rules for it... Seems to have the deepest rule set out of the 4. In terms of pick up an play, Spiderman is prolly the best. Those ramps and rails are incredible. Reminds me of Sega's Batman Forever machine a little bit.

It seems that the rule sheets are a little expanded for these new Marvel tables which is nice. Nice to know what to do even if it is brief. PHoF did a much better job explaining rules.

Anyone bust out the claw save on Wolverine yet? I haven't done it myself but it looks pretty sweet. You have to hit the sinkhole on the left I think 5 times to activate it.

Also wondering about that dracula magnet thing on Blade when you hit the pop bumpers a certain amount of times. I know it activates the D in Dracula for the wizard mode but is there anything else to do with it? Should I be trying for more pop bumper hits or sending it up that dracula ramp afterward?

If any of you feel that you have a decent grasp on any of the tables, old or new, feel free to post a mini guide or something to that effect to clue us in that haven't figured it out yet. I can try my best for some of the PFX2 Core Collection (Pasha, SoTD, and Rome)... still haven't completely figured out Biolab yet. I should be able to write a decent guide for Wolverine soon once I get a better grasp on what happens when I do certain things. Hopefully more to follow.

Let me know if any of you guys would be interested in a little write up on any of those tables and I will be happy to share what I know. I might have to copy and paste a few of the details from other guides I have found on the web.

Managed to beat my Spider-Man score by a fair amount this morning, even with a couple of battles with flipper-switching a-hole Mysterio. I'm not too proud to admit flipping over the controller. I guess I could read through the instructions again, but does anyone know how to take photos for Perry? I think I accidentally finished that stage this morning, but I don't know how.

Thanks to EvyLou and Nealocus for adding me as friends. It makes such a difference having people to compete against.

[quote name='eastx']Photos for JJ, you mean? Spidey doesn't work for the Daily Planet.[/QUOTE]

I'm such an idiot...

I don't blame anyone who wants to unfriend me for what is a geek offense punishable by death... or at least a strongly worded, all caps forum post.

In my defense, I'm fighting off a cold.

I just added you easper - you should put your XBL username in your profile so it shows up on the left. Anyway, I don't have the Marvel DLC yet, but I have all the other machines. Probably going to get the Marvel DLC once my BestBuy points card comes in.

[quote name='easper']Managed to beat my Spider-Man score by a fair amount this morning, even with a couple of battles with flipper-switching a-hole Mysterio. I'm not too proud to admit flipping over the controller. I guess I could read through the instructions again, but does anyone know how to take photos for Perry? I think I accidentally finished that stage this morning, but I don't know how.

Thanks to EvyLou and Nealocus for adding me as friends. It makes such a difference having people to compete against.[/QUOTE]

I saw you beat my score this morning after I woke up, needless to say I was a tad bit upset haha. I'm gonna put in some time and see what I can do.

Only have one friend with this game, so it's tough to tell how mediocre I actually am. I think the new tables are pretty fun, though I wish the Blade table didn't dim down to simulate night. If you want, please add me as a friend so I can find out how bad I truly suck.

Yeah I agree the rulesheets for the new Marvel tables are a lot better at explaining the tables than the core FX1 or FX2 tables. Probably feedback from the fans saying what the hell do I do on this table?! haha

[quote name='koheed']What viewing angle do you use most often? I tend to stick with 3, I was just wondering what everyone else likes.[/QUOTE]

I use 3 as well...

Anyone actually fought with Sabertooth much? I've probably spent 3 hours with the table and gotten about 6-7 fights initiated. But I can never accomplish much. Sometimes I get the hidden ramp to show but I'm unsure about what to do next.

I have never gotten past one Silver Samurai unlock. Anyone had better luck?

Probably the easiest "event" on Wolverine's table for me is the hand ninjas. I just use that top right flipper to get in there and then I de-ninjafy those fools.

[quote name='koheed']What viewing angle do you use most often? I tend to stick with 3, I was just wondering what everyone else likes.[/QUOTE]

I usually default on 3 or 4 but sometimes I use 6 to get a nice zoomed out view. Works well for Bucanner, Speed Machine and Biolab.

I like 4. Though I've not spent major time on each view.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Anyone actually fought with Sabertooth much? I've probably spent 3 hours with the table and gotten about 6-7 fights initiated.[/quote]

I probably come close to a 1 to 1 with it if I'm trying for it but call it more of a 2 times out of every 3 games just because no one is perfect...

That said I never try for it that much as I have higher scores not going for it... Mostly because I never come close to winning the fight. (best i did was got him down to half life)

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I have never gotten past one Silver Samurai unlock. Anyone had better luck?[/quote]

Nope.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Probably the easiest "event" on Wolverine's table for me is the hand ninjas. I just use that top right flipper to get in there and then I de-ninjafy those fools.[/QUOTE]
I do pretty good at that also... Though I've never gotten the ball drop achievement on it.

Which of the individually available tables do you guys think is best? A huge pinball arcade just opened here in Austin so I don't really want to drop 800 MSP on the Marvel tables yet, but I am interested in having at least one FX2 table to play at home. I'm leaning towards SF2.

I'd say the best individual table is Earth Defense or Excalibur. Stay away from SF 2 - it's horrible.

After playing Williams again after playing PFX2 Marvel tables, I have to say the Marvel tables are better. Lots more modes and rules, the physics are polished, and they look great. Maybe I've just played williams too much, I don't know.

bread's done
Back