Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='D.Choy']I am sure you probably have like a nice 1920 x 1200 display. I currently have one and use it as my main monitor while I have the 3D monitor right next to it to sometimes extend my desktop but mostly I use it to game on Xbox 360 or PS3. [/QUOTE]

Yup, this is exactly what I will be doing. Will keep my current monitor as my main browsing and working screen and will use this for gaming

[quote name='D.Choy']Still, the price point now is great but you could always argue putting that $199 towards a full fledged television rather than a monitor.[/QUOTE]

I already have a 65 inch 1080p TV I just wanted a 3D one to futz around with without breaking the bank.

[quote name='kitsunisan']My cousin tried mine out with his pc, had to do a little configuring, but didn't need any hacked drivers to work with his 570 graphics card. He hadn't updated his drivers to the latest, don't know if that makes a difference.[/QUOTE]

Any idea if it's different for ATI users?

Thanks for the insight guys!

[quote name='Pounce!']I'm referring to the PS3 ones at BB.
SONY COMPUTER ENTNMT AMERICA- 3D GLASSES
Model:98079 SKU:2904117[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks! These weren't coming up in my searches on Best Buy's site. Having the sku made all the difference. Much appreciated!!!

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but I've had luck accessing best buy stock with a website called Milo.com. I have no idea how it works, but it showed the display in stock at a store near me and there were 2 there when I went. It's YMMV, but it's worth checking out.

So far it's been actually working great. Tried on Motorstorm last night and it's quite nice in 3D but I think I'll trade it back to BB anyway since I don't like the game that much. I'm mainly using it as a computer monitor and no real complaints - I turned down the sharpness (to 0), backlight (to 50%), and made a few little tweaks and it looks great now - IMO the sharpness being cranked to 100 by default really made the fonts look horrible, looks good now. I do with it had tilt functionality (or more than the minimal amount it does have).

Haven't tried 3D gaming on the PC yet (thanks to those who responded earlier) but nothing definitive on how to get it working with ATI. Maybe I'll actually try today if I can find a game I have in 3D or maybe I'll try with 3D Youtube videos. I have read that to get it working you need to switch to 1080p24 but that's horrible for the desktop (mouselag) so I'm hoping I can find a way for it to autoswitch.

The 3D button on my PS3 Bluray remote doesn't seem to do anything either. Not sure how that's supposed to work but I have a sneaking suspicion that the generic Sony code you enter on that thing to make it work with this monitor is meant for other Sony TVs and that's why it's not working.

I'm gonna finally get one of these. I already own motorstorm so I can trade that in before hand to take $20 off the total cost. I have a stupid amount of 3d games and movies I've been dying to try out.

Consensus is to not get the best but warranty i know. Suggestions? Direct from Sony? squaretrade?

When I bought my first 1 a couple months ago I went ahead and got the Best Buy warranty. I've been told by numerous CSR's that it will be based on sku, so even after I ship it out to Sony for the flicker issue I do have, if they send me back a different refurb, the Best Buy warranty should still be valid. For me the $30 is worth the few extra years warranty.

And I plan on picking up another 1, stress testing it until I do get the flicker, and sending that 1 right off too lol.

Never thought I would jump on one of these, but decided I needed a screen for the man cave. Traded in enough games with 100% deal that I have a large gift card for Best Buy and they have it for only $180 now. Then trade in Motorstorm (which I already have) and that comes to $160. The closest TVs in that price at Best Buy are 22"-24" refurb, off brand 60hz LCDs. Killer deal.

Got mine hooked up and I'm loving it save for one problem, I can't figure out how to make 3D work! I tried using the program Tridef with a couple games but I just get half the screen displaying in one eye and the other half in the other eye. What are some good 3D games and how can I make them work with my Radeon 6950?

Got bb to price match KMart. Traded in my copy of motorstorm beforehand. $150-$20 (or so) = good deal in my book. Now to cross my fingers

[quote name='ManCannon']Got mine hooked up and I'm loving it save for one problem, I can't figure out how to make 3D work! I tried using the program Tridef with a couple games but I just get half the screen displaying in one eye and the other half in the other eye. What are some good 3D games and how can I make them work with my Radeon 6950?[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm at my wit's end here. I've tried both IZ3D and Tridef and in both enabling side by side mode in 3d just stretches my monitor's resolution across both eyes. If I close my right eye I can see the left half of the screen, if I close my left eye I can see the right half of the screen.

I'm thinking maybe the Simulview splitscreen mode is somehow active, but I see no way in the menu or the documentation to turn it off. (EDIT: Okay, after some research this is not the case)

I've been screwing around with this thing for the past 5 hours and I've about lost my mind. If anyone has any insight I'd very much appreciate it.

[quote name='SCIENCEEE']Simulview is only for PS3 games, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Yup, it wasn't the problem. Frankly, I still don't know what was but it just started working in IZ3D for some reason. Tweaking the settings now but it looks cool!

Unfortunately I can only get things to work in IZ3D. I can't even get 3D Youtube videos to work. For anyone who has this monitor, how do you get 3d youtube videos to work?

[quote name='ManCannon']Yup, it wasn't the problem. Frankly, I still don't know what was but it just started working in IZ3D for some reason. Tweaking the settings now but it looks cool!

Unfortunately I can only get things to work in IZ3D. I can't even get 3D Youtube videos to work. For anyone who has this monitor, how do you get 3d youtube videos to work?[/QUOTE]

With the YouTube videos, which 3D option are you selecting? Use side-by-side, and on the back of the monitor, hit the bottom (3D) button to switch to Side-by-side mode. For the video, it has to be expanded to full screen. I don't know if there's an easier, or auto-3d way to do it, and this is where having a V2 PS3 Remote (with 3D button) would come in handy.

I'm really tempted by this for some reason after seeing Dredd in 3D last night and the 3d not bothering me as much as it used to.

Plus I love the look of it and have $300 in credit at BB which I should use to pay for all the Fall releases instead but I'm still tempted.

Plus I already have a 32" in my room and really nowhere to put this besides replacing the larger screen which just happens to be mounted on the wall where the 24" can't.

I know I shouldn't be tempted by this but I am

[quote name='shadowkast']Got bb to price match KMart. Traded in my copy of motorstorm beforehand. $150-$20 (or so) = good deal in my book. Now to cross my fingers[/QUOTE]

I'm holding Motorostorm for a bit just in case I decide to return this thing. I like it so far but if it fails in the 30 day return window I won't bother keeping it.

[quote name='ManCannon']Yup, it wasn't the problem. Frankly, I still don't know what was but it just started working in IZ3D for some reason. Tweaking the settings now but it looks cool!

Unfortunately I can only get things to work in IZ3D. I can't even get 3D Youtube videos to work. For anyone who has this monitor, how do you get 3d youtube videos to work?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I really don't get this 3D stuff all that much - it's way too complicated at the moment.

I have a 3D regular TV and i can get that working with Youtube and Bluray and other stuff but even that's not that easy at times (sometimes it will detect, sometimes I have to go to the menus and cycle through 3D modes). Nevermind the different formats for viewing glasses as well.

3D is more of a gimmick as far as I'm concerned, nothing I care that much for, but I really think this complicated crap of it working sometimes and not others and all the different formats is really hurting it from being adopted by consumers.

Just my $0.02

[quote name='sp00ge']For the video, it has to be expanded to full screen.[/QUOTE]

Didn't realize it had to be fullscreen. Thanks!

Oh man, was able to play a little bit of Borderlands 2 in 3d with this last night and it looked so damn good. This thing was an absolute steal at $180 in my opinion.

So what's the easiest way to play a 3D movie on this bad boy? And is there a consensus on the most impressive 3d flick out today? Sorry to ask so many questions, but this was a total impulse buy and I haven't paid attention to 3d content for a while.

[quote name='drakma676']God don't know if to get this or save up for the wiiu[/QUOTE]

I'd grab this. It's a very good deal and I've always found buying a console at launch to be extremely disappointing. After the initial honey moon period is over and you've finished the rushed, content starved launch titles and you enter the inevitable drought, you start thinking of all the other things you could have bought with that money and maybe even the money you could have saved waiting.

That's not to say the Wii U isn't going to be a great system, I'm sure it will be, but buying at launch is just so rarely a good idea. Last system I got at launch was a 3DS. Once the drought kicked in I regretted my purchase and sold it. A month ago I grabbed the 3DS XL when it came out and was greeted with a great lineup and a whole host of great games I could buy for half price or less.

[quote name='drakma676']God don't know if to get this or save up for the wiiu[/QUOTE]

I'd grab this. It's a very good deal and I've always found buying a console at launch to be extremely disappointing. After the initial honey moon period is over and you've finished the rushed, content starved launch titles and you enter the inevitable drought, you start thinking of all the other things you could have bought with that money and maybe even the money you could have saved waiting.

That's not to say the Wii U isn't going to be a great system, I'm sure it will be, but buying at launch is just so rarely a good idea. Last system I got at launch was a 3DS. Once the drought kicked in I regretted my purchase and sold it. A month ago I grabbed the 3DS XL when it came out and was greeted with a great lineup and a whole host of great games I could buy for half price or less.

[quote name='sp00ge']With the YouTube videos, which 3D option are you selecting? Use side-by-side, and on the back of the monitor, hit the bottom (3D) button to switch to Side-by-side mode. For the video, it has to be expanded to full screen. I don't know if there's an easier, or auto-3d way to do it, and this is where having a V2 PS3 Remote (with 3D button) would come in handy.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Thank you! It worked great!

PS. the 3D button on the remote doesn't seem to do anything and I believe I'm not the only one with that problem - I had to use the 3D button on the display itself as well.

When i price matched to KMart the guy says "i don't feel like calling them, your an honest guy, I'll take your word for it." Guess it pays to be a regularat best bbuy.

Now just gotta tinker with settings to remove the ghosting. Had 10 mins to pay before i headed back to work

Ok, i got it working with Battlefield Bad Company 2 with my ATI 5850 on Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Got the IZ3D RC drivers (1.13) from here:
http://www.iz3d.com/driver

2. Did full install and reboot

3. Forced DX9 for BFBC2 by editing settings.ini to read DXVerion=9 (default is Auto) - before I did this the game crashed upon starting up
C:\Users\[username]\Documents\BFBC2

4. 3D wouldn't work so I went to the IZ3D drive in the start menu and changed output to "120Hz 3D Devices (trial)"

5. Relaunched game and it just worked perfectly - it's actually quite nice (didn't even have to press the 3D button on the display, it automatically switched)

Now the question is, the IZ3D driver is no longer supported (sounds like they went out of business) and all settings except default are only trial modes that stop working after 30 days. How can we unlock the 120Hz Device mode so it doesn't go away?

Forgot to add, I'm running the game in 720p @ 60Hz since I heard 1080p won't work with 3D.

[quote name='drakma676']Can someone put the picture or the weekly ad link for this tv at kmart. I can't find it on there site form$149. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
Its not in the weekly ad. You'll have to call a store that has it in stock to price match....took me 7 calls/stores to find one

[quote name='GoVols']It is actually 179.99 online now.[/QUOTE]
It rings up that price instore as well. $149.99 @ KMart is still a nicer price match though

[quote name='shadowkast']It rings up that price instore as well. $149.99 @ KMart is still a nicer price match though[/QUOTE]

They said they could not price match cause i didn't have an ad. And could not call kmart

[quote name='ManCannon']Didn't realize it had to be fullscreen. Thanks!

Oh man, was able to play a little bit of Borderlands 2 in 3d with this last night and it looked so damn good. This thing was an absolute steal at $180 in my opinion.

So what's the easiest way to play a 3D movie on this bad boy? And is there a consensus on the most impressive 3d flick out today? Sorry to ask so many questions, but this was a total impulse buy and I haven't paid attention to 3d content for a while.

That's not to say the Wii U isn't going to be a great system, I'm sure it will be, but buying at launch is just so rarely a good idea. Last system I got at launch was a 3DS. Once the drought kicked in I regretted my purchase and sold it. A month ago I grabbed the 3DS XL when it came out and was greeted with a great lineup and a whole host of great games I could buy for half price or less.[/QUOTE]

I was like this on the vita. Got so hyped for it and even got the special edition. Man I regret it now

[quote name='SuperMario64']Mine crapped out on me yet again, don't buy it.[/QUOTE]
I am thinking about buying it with 4 yr extended warranty for additional $29.99.

If it doesn't crap out on me in 4 yrs, $210 is great price for a 3D TV like that.

If it does, I think I can get my money back assuming this model will be discontinued in near future, if it already has not.

Picked one of these up as well as a Squaretrade 3 yr warranty for $20 (30% code).

The picture is great, but the speakers frankly suck ass. Get a little loud and they vibrate like crazy. Is this with all of them, or did I get a broken one? My gf doesn't mind, it is her's by the way, so I guess it doesn't matter. Got it at bestbuy, once I decide to keep it oficially I'll trade in Motorstorm for $20 at BBY.

Going to get a price match as well at $179, I paid $199. I also paid for most of it in store credit so $160 after trading in Motorstorm is a pretty good deal imo. Add in $20 for the warranty, do not get the bestbuy warranty, the fine print is utter bullshit and contradicts what employees and the pamphlet in store says. So $180 aint bad for a pretty nice 24" monitor that happens to have 3D, component input, and built in speakers with a 3 yr warranty.

Nothing has gone wrong with it yet, although its only been 2 weeks. Seems very YMMV to price match kmart, but even for $180 its a pretty good deal, if you want to risk yours being one of the high % that have issues.

Anyone find the "best" settings to use? I got it somewhere I like it, but wouldn't mind hearing others' opinions. There aren't many settings really to mess with though.

Hmm I'm going to price match from Kmart and get that warranty too, $150 was my magic price point. OK, time to get this done!

As a reminder the fine print for BB ext warranty allows for a 1 time replacement of glasses. (at least my 4 yr one does). So with enough usage the batteries might die.

Man not looking forward to calling kmarts tomorrow morning. I guess it'll be worth it if I can get my $50 back.

Will they price match it if I bought it 2 weeks ago. I'd imagine it would work the same since they have a 30 day pm policy I believe. right?

edit: nvm their policy says during return/exchange period, which I assume is 30 days.

I picked up the display a couple of months back. I love it. I use it as my computer monitor also. It was well worth the $200. I traded in motorstorm game for $36.00 too using BB 100% trade deal

[quote name='WarpCoreX']I picked up the display a couple of months back. I love it. I use it as my computer monitor also. It was well worth the $200. I traded in motorstorm game for $36.00 too using BB 100% trade deal[/QUOTE]

Nice! I only have a ps2 and gamecube at the moment but could play my ps2 via component until I get a ps3 or wii u.

Finally found a Kmart with one. F-ing Long Beach, which is barely in the 25 mile limit for price matches for me. One store looked up the UPC and checked the other stores, but every other one I called that it said had it in stock either had their computer system reject the UPC or they couldn't find it.

Put it on hold to make sure I can get it price matched at BBY. Worth all the calls I guess since I already bought it at $199, I want my $50 back!

Will any passive 3D glasses like the ones they give out in the movie theaters work with this TV, or do you have to buy another active Sony one?

How are y'all getting it price matched at best buy. I tried 2 best buys And they said that they could not find it on there website and that they do not call the stores.

Is this information correct? I thought the Best Buy warranty is based on SKUs. If not, why on Earth would anyone purchase a 3 year+ warranty if they could only return the defective product just once???

[quote name='mark_IV']Due to the problems with the display I would advise against the Best Buy warranty. If yours goes out and they still have them in stock more than likely they will give you a replacement display in which you will need to purchase another warranty for. The chances are good that the replacement display will have the same problem as the first and the vicious circle will never end. Also I believe Best Buy still has the "comparable technology" clause in their warranties which means they give you a percentage of the purchase price should they no longer sell the item, towards the purchase of a new display.

I have no first hand experience with the warranties and only found out about the clause by overhearing a conversation with an angry customer while waiting at customer service. Personally I would save the money and just go with Sony's service instead.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Investor']Will any passive 3D glasses like the ones they give out in the movie theaters work with this TV, or do you have to buy another active Sony one?[/QUOTE]

No. Different tech.

Active glasses only, not necessarily Sony but compatible to IR.

[quote name='jooanyenna']I am thinking about buying it with 4 yr extended warranty for additional $29.99.

If it doesn't crap out on me in 4 yrs, $210 is great price for a 3D TV like that.

If it does, I think I can get my money back assuming this model will be discontinued in near future, if it already has not.[/QUOTE]
Definitely get the warranty if you plan on getting it, just be prepared to exchange it every few months. It works great but only when it works. Unfortunately, I owned it long enough not to get a refund.

I'm really thinking hard on this for my dorm room. Problem is 24 inches is a little small. I'll be about 3-5 feet away. At 3 feets it's probably ok, but at 5, it'll be a little small.

I either get this now or wait til BF for a 32 incher. I can't decide :(

bread's done
Back