Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my $50 back after price matching my previous purchase at $199. They said their policy is to not call anymore, only to check websites and ads. The manager said he would call so I could get the 3d glasses for $20 as well, but only after the line died down. He did give me the $150 price match without calling. He mentioned it was because they aren't supposed to price match clearance, closeout or open box type prices so eliminating calling takes those types of prices out of the equation since those types of prices are usually not advertised. Is this just this BBY that does this? I guess it makes a little sense, but I thought they would PM a clearance price anyways. Isn't the TV and glasses technically on clearance at Kmart?

To anyone who grabbed this monitor, I highly recommend Dirt: Showdown or Dirt 3 to show off the 3D effect. It looks soooo good.

I'll update with what I've found to be the best settings for 3D if anyone's interested.

[quote name='Investor']It's a TV, and not a console. So, if it breaks down every few months, you can still bring it back, right?[/QUOTE]

I understand it's not a console but I based it on the plans they offered, a 2 year and a 4 year, and the links they brought me to.

[quote name='ManCannon']To anyone who grabbed this monitor, I highly recommend Dirt: Showdown or Dirt 3 to show off the 3D effect. It looks soooo good.

I'll update with what I've found to be the best settings for 3D if anyone's interested.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Always good to have 3D recommendations.

[quote name='ManCannon']To anyone who grabbed this monitor, I highly recommend Dirt: Showdown or Dirt 3 to show off the 3D effect. It looks soooo good.

I'll update with what I've found to be the best settings for 3D if anyone's interested.[/QUOTE]

I just googled some settings. Search provided an Amazon discussion from someone who did it by eye and game faqs discussion where someone did it with the Disney calibration disc. Went with the later though they were awfully close

http://www.amazon.com/Calibrating-Sony-Playstation-3D-Monitor/forum/FxDAW09200J2SW/TxN6EWZYSRUT19/1/ref=cm_cd_pg_prev?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0050SZ49Y

http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-/62443677

One of these things are still in stock at a gamestop a wee bit away from me but 200$ for a tiny screen idk..
Then again I'll get and hdmi which a PS3 doesn't come with. They should bundle these things.

I actually own 2 of them. and one of them just barely went out yesterday.and i bought that one back in june.i didnt even use that thing that much either.called sony and they are going to repair/replace it.I also asked if they offer extended warranty on it.they said not on that item.funny.they did try to offer warranty on my vita though.interesting.

[quote name='Investor']It's a TV, and not a console. So, if it breaks down every few months, you can still bring it back, right?[/QUOTE]

It's a display, not a TV ;)

The policy for it falls under a device replacement plan though, so you only exchange/replace it once if it's defective, and then you'd need to re-buy the plan on the new one too if you want to keep it covered. The 1 year Sony warranty should last from the date that it was replaced though. If it was a full warranty like what they have for computers, then they'd charge about 3 times as much for it.

Pretty sure it's not a TV, it's just a monitor.

On the phone to get my $20 price adjustment right now.

So far no real problems with the display. In my fairly bright room the glossy screen isn't as bad as I thought it would be, not really a problem for me. I have had a couple of blank screens but that seems to come from teh computer as the game itself seems to pause as well - I think it might be an HDMI handshake issue but I'm just guessing.

EDIT: Went through, since I couldn't price match teh K-mart deal (local stores were all out) I was able to get this price adjustment. $160 - $20 (motorostorm trade in) is a great deal for this thing IMO. I hope it doesn't die but if it does I still have the Sony warranty.

[quote name='Mugatu']On the phone to get my $20 price adjustment right now.

So you can get price adjustments on the phone or did you buy yours online? I got mine in-store earlier this week, trying to figure out if I have to head back over there to get the adjustment.

[quote name='prayformojo'][quote name='Mugatu']On the phone to get my $20 price adjustment right now.

So you can get price adjustments on the phone or did you buy yours online? I got mine in-store earlier this week, trying to figure out if I have to head back over there to get the adjustment.[/QUOTE]

I did an online order for in-store pick up, sorry. I always do it that way since my closes BB is out of my way so I want to make sure my stuff is there when I reach the store. Not sure if you can just call if you purchased in store.

[quote name='adamical']$160 . . . man, this is harder and harder to resist. Remember when there were people saying "no way it gets to $200"?[/QUOTE]

Im honestly starting to think I should just wait for $100 lol...

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Im honestly starting to think I should just wait for $100 lol...[/QUOTE]

I honestly can't imagine it dropping to 99.99 unless it's black friday or they were reaaaaaally desperate to get rid of stock.

Honestly, it's a pretty good if you can look passed some issues. If you're using it as a PC monitor, here's what you have to worry about:

#1 Red text on black / dark backgrounds will be fuzzy (color space issue that can't be resolved)

#2 To avoid flicker of death, you'll have to drop backlight to 5-7 (out of 10) -- and this still doesn't guarantee safety from flicker of death.

#3 To run 3D natively, you'll need nVidia drivers no higher than 296.10, EDIF override for monitor and nVidia 3DTV Play. If you have all of that, 3D works great.

#4 Glossy screen makes it highly reflective.

#5 Don't bother using the speakers.

#6 Only 2 inputs (both HDMI)

#7 By dropping brightness / backlight, you will increase the ghosting. Blacks levels HEAVILY ghost w/ a red trail on lower backlights....HOWEVER, the ghosting subsides after the monitor has been on for a while. After about an hour of being on, you shouldn't notice the ghosting as bad if you're running at lower brightness settings. I think that's why they have backlight and brightness jacked out of box...

If you're not interested in dealing with all of this, definitely don't bother getting it. If you don't care, you'll be treated with a pretty nice picture and versatile monitor for gaming / pc use w/ 3D capabilities.

I could see it go to $99 - Yet another hot Sony product they completely abandoned after less than a year - but I think it will sell out by then.

Re: #5 I don't mind the speakers - granted I keep it fairly low so I'm not trying to fill a room with explosions but for general use they are fine for me. If you're used to real speaker set up you'll probably be disappointed.

Re: #6 There are also 3 inputs, 2 HDMI and 1 component.

Re: #6: I have no ghosting issues and I dropped the backlight to 5 and dropped the brightness as well - not o avoid any flickering but because they had those set to max from the factory like almost all TVs and that always looks horrible. However, I can't say I've done any testing and I usually surf the web before I game so by the time I fire up something quick moving it has been on for a while so you might be correct, not sure.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Im honestly starting to think I should just wait for $100 lol...[/QUOTE]

even at that i cannot believe how cheap people are even in this forum...

originally $499.99

dropped to 399.99
people said it's not low enough - if it hits 300 they'd buy it.

then 299.99
same people said if it hits 200 they'd buy it.

then 199.99
same people same thing.

now it's at $159 and the SAME EXACT PEOPLE are still saying
meh, i'll wait till it's under $100... serious denial, man.

and it's not just on this, it's like a reoccurring quote in EVERY SINGLE TITLE
IN THIS SITE. there has to be "that" guy. :dunce:

just saying.

[quote name='NINJA V']even at that i cannot believe how cheap people are even in this forum...

originally $499.99

dropped to 399.99
people said it's not low enough - if it hits 300 they'd buy it.

then 299.99
same people said if it hits 200 they'd buy it.

then 199.99
same people same thing.

now it's at $159 and the SAME EXACT PEOPLE are still saying
meh, i'll wait till it's under $100... serious denial, man.

and it's not just on this, it's like a reoccurring quote in EVERY SINGLE TITLE
IN THIS SITE. there has to be "that" guy. :dunce:

just saying.[/QUOTE]

...There's a reason we're called CHEAPassgamer.

That being said, I did pick one up. I played a few minutes of Batman: Arkham City with the TV and I'm now 100% certain that I'm keeping it.

yup, so did i - 3rd time buying and flipping but this time i'm keeping. i can't imagine it getting cheaper than this + they'll all be gone if it does go cheaper.

and about people being cheap - just saying that's all.

I absolutely love the fact that I was called "dumb" for saying this would hit $199 before the year ended. Here we are in September and it's easily found at $160 and at Kmart for $150. I expect stragglers will hit $129 by year's end at this point, lol.

[quote name='mattcube64']I absolutely love the fact that I was called "dumb" for saying this would hit $199 before the year ended. Here we are in September and it's easily found at $160 and at Kmart for $150. I expect stragglers will hit $129 by year's end at this point, lol.[/QUOTE]

I'll buy another one for the kids room @ $129!!!

There is a limit to how far this will drop, if it goes any lower it will hit CHEAP monitor territory. If BBY puts it at $139 or a little less and its not a PM anymore I bet they'll finally get rid of them. Only one BBY has them in stock in my area so I guess people are finally buying them up.

Look around at 24" monitor prices. If you have any inkling to try out 3D and are in the market for a small tv or a PC monitor this seems like a great pick up. If you want a better 24" monitor for gaming without the glare of the glass screen look elsewhere, you can save $20-40 just getting a standard 24" monitor.

I still need to go back and get a PMed extra set of glasses at $20.

The selling point for me however was the component input. Nearly every other monitor on the market doesn't have a way to hook up a Wii or PS2 or anything else component to it. 2 HDMI and a component was perfect for what my gf needed.

If you're worried about the quality of these and the fail rates, get a squaretrade warranty. $27 on a $150 monitor. You can also get a 30% off code if you can find someone who gets them. There are a few threads on SD where people post codes. I think they are sent out on tuesdays. I got my warranty for a $199 HDTV with 30% off code for $21. I got a price match after the fact and got my $50 back from BBY. So my warranty is for $199 not $150.

[quote name='Mugatu']I could see it go to $99 - Yet another hot Sony product they completely abandoned after less than a year - but I think it will sell out by then.[/QUOTE]

If by "hot" you mean "in demand," I doubt they would have abandoned it if that was the case. It apparently wasn't "hot" when it was at a profitable price point.

I saw one post where someone said they were thinking about attaching a fan to the back, so maybe you meant literally hot.

This is very YMMV of course, but both Sears and Best Buy in my area have it in stock. Sears still has it at $489. I couldn't get them to price match the sale price, but they matched $179.99 and with price match plus I got one for ~$150 before taxes.

[quote name='CrimsonTribe']This is very YMMV of course, but both Sears and Best Buy in my area have it in stock. Sears still has it at $489. I couldn't get them to price match the sale price, but they matched $179.99 and with price match plus I got one for ~$150 before taxes.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if this number is still in the system, but I think the Sears' number for the display is 05841728000 (Division 58, item number 41728). If you could check your receipt and tell me if it's something else that'd be great.

[quote name='Byakurai']I don't know if this number is still in the system, but I think the Sears' number for the display is 05841728000 (Division 58, item number 41728). If you could check your receipt and tell me if it's something else that'd be great.[/QUOTE]

The numbers on my receipt are 2058 41728, so that sounds right, but I don't see the full 05841728000 on there. The guy did everything manually, so he may not have had to put everything into the register.

I found the $19.99 PS3 3D glasses thanks! I am enjoying my display so far its been working fine for about 3 months I must have gotten a good unit. Um I hope that you all have the same luck as me and enjoy this monitor... this is my first step into 3d gaming and so far I am enjoying it but its just a little extra and wow to any game so far Halo Anniversary and super stardust are the most notable of the 3d effect.

Ok, I think I've gotten my first hint of a problem with the display. It turned black for a second while playing a movie. If this starts happening more frequently, I suspect I'll have to get Sony to fix it. Is anyone familiar with what I would need to do in that case?

pick up the display two weeks ago but i think im going to return it and re-buy on black friday the tv looks good but i dont like the glare and the size even for my room that is small i have to sit real close to the tv

[quote name='milehighshooter']pick up the display two weeks ago but i think im going to return it and re-buy on black friday the tv looks good but i dont like the glare and the size even for my room that is small i have to sit real close to the tv[/QUOTE]

This is going to be on sale for BF?

OT: just picked mine up and set it up, i'm trying to watch a movie but its saying that it doesn't detect a 3d BR player. Its a ps3, so I know it is. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Nochance']OT: just picked mine up and set it up, i'm trying to watch a movie but its saying that it doesn't detect a 3d BR player. Its a ps3, so I know it is. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Did you make sure to set up the display settings on your PS3 to work with the 3D display?

Bought one myself today, using a $5 rewards certificate, and paid for it with some of the rewards points from my card. Made sure to get the extended warranty too. Thing is pretty sweet, though the glare is a bit distracting.

[quote name='pummy84']Did you make sure to set up the display settings on your PS3 to work with the 3D display?

Bought one myself today, using a $5 rewards certificate, and paid for it with some of the rewards points from my card. Made sure to get the extended warranty too. Thing is pretty sweet, though the glare is a bit distracting.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I got it thanks!

The TV glare isn't so bad for my room, but the glare from things behind me reflected in the glasses is just nuts. I put some black tape on the outer parts where i'm not looking through anyway.

Really great so far for the price. I don't have many 3d movies yet, but I put Lion King on and its definitely cool for a movie that wasn't intended for 3d. There is occasionally a blue outline around characters though that i'm trying to figure out. Its only been in a few parts so hopefully its just the movie.

Im totally getting Toy Story 3 and Tangled tomorrow. I wish I had bought them in 3d to begin with now. Can't wait to try some games later too. I have a great panny plasma and i'm still impressed with the iq so far.

I picked one up, but I'm not sure I'm going to keep it.

I've been trying to get 3d to work on my PC for a good chunk of the day without any luck.

I was following the guide I found here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/nvidia-3dtv-play-mod-sony-playstation-3d-display-1175972/ . So I installed an older version of the Nvidia drivers, installed the display driver so Nvidia thinks the monitor is an officially supported one, and installed the 3DTV software. Once it's installed I get an error "Primary display's adapter does not support 3D Vision."

According to the Nvidia site, my video card (GeForce GT 335M) is in the list of working cards for Nvidia 3DTV Play: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html and in the list of supported cards for 3D Vision http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requirements.html. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SCIENCEEE']How does the best buy warranty work? I'm keeping my receipt just in case.[/QUOTE]

It might tell ya on the back of that receipt your saving ;)

This thread's been quiet for a while...

Anybody have any thoughts/comments/experiences regarding these 3D displays? What percentage are actually dying? You only hear about the duds....

Local BB still has a couple of them...tempting/taunting me.

Ive had mine for over 100 days now and it's still going strong. I use it regularly for PS3 games as well as Star Trek marathons on Netflix.

Haven't had any issues whatsoever. The monitor is on a good 10 hours a day while my 3yr old watches netflix and plays his games.

Got mine a couple of months ago just before Kmart started their clearance on these. I use it everyday for heavy gaming and netflix and stuff, so far it's been working like a champ. The 3D is great if the size fits your needs. I turned down the brightness a bit from the default settings and it still looks gorgeous. I also sprung for the BB 2 year warranty since I had the credit so I'm not worried about it much. But, I have not had any problems with flickering or dead pixels or anything like that.

My only real gripe is the built-in speakers kinda suck, so I just use some pc speakers and that works great.

I hope to be able to afford one of these while they are still in stock. I had my flips lined up to get one from best buy however my wifes phone stopped working and to use my credit towards getting her a new phone. Bah!!!

[quote name='krashhole']Haven't had any issues whatsoever. The monitor is on a good 10 hours a day while my 3yr old watches netflix and plays his games.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but you let your 3 year old watch TV and play games for 10 hours a day? Gulp

He doesn't watch or play that much, the monitor and the PS3 are just on the majority of the day. He might actually play/watch something 3-4 hours out of the day.

bread's done
Back