Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one NOT having any issues or complaints so far? I am using this as my PC monitor and 3D display for my PS3 and absolutely love this thing! I have my pc set to 1920x1280 and the zoom at 150% for website text and it looks amazing. Just watched a few HD vids on IGN, youtube and other various sites and I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality and 'pop' of the visuals. I have also tried Uncharted 3 in 3D and that was pretty good, although Ive never really cared about 3D. The screen did go black when my PC went to sleep but came right back on when I moved the mouse. Simply put, this is a great set for the price and when you factor in all the bells and whistles its quite a steal at $200. Its perfect for what I wanted it for and I am very satisfied so far.

[quote name='brewin']Am I the only one NOT having any issues or complaints so far? I am using this as my PC monitor and 3D display for my PS3 and absolutely love this thing! I have my pc set to 1920x1280 and the zoom at 150% for website text and it looks amazing. Just watched a few HD vids on IGN, youtube and other various sites and I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality and 'pop' of the visuals. I have also tried Uncharted 3 in 3D and that was pretty good, although Ive never really cared about 3D. The screen did go black when my PC went to sleep but came right back on when I moved the mouse. Simply put, this is a great set for the price and when you factor in all the bells and whistles its quite a steal at $200. Its perfect for what I wanted it for and I am very satisfied so far.[/QUOTE]

It looks great - I had no complaints with the screen quality. And it works great, too - until it doesn't work at all ;).

But yeah, for just $200 it is worth the risk I suppose. If the one I get back works from now on I can live with that. If I have to deal with 2 or 3 more exchanges then have it die again out of warranty, then, well, not so much. So I won't have a final verdict on this thing until towards the end of 2013.

I just opened the box and set up the screen. Easy-peasy.

It's beautiful. I am hoping for the best!

Edit: Dear Heaven is it beautiful!

One thing I need to add, when compared to my previous LCD 22" Dell monitor, this one really has a lot of reflection. So, just have to make sure the room has to be dark.

I'm planning to buy one of these tv's but all this talk about high failure rates is scaring me. If it does mess up within the first year I can just RMA it and the sony replacement shoudl be a lot better right? At least that's what I'm hearing from the posts. I mainly want it to try out the 3D on a few games namely Uncharted 3. And It would be nice to have a personal tv when you're gaming/netflix.

maybe I just got lucky but I had this for about 6 months and it still works great.

I actually liked it so much that I got another one for my family... but the talk of failure rate is scarying me a bit.

I mean as long as you have the receipt you should be ok for another 6 months. I actually called SONY to verify what they're coverage is on this tv. They verified that buying the tv new is covered by an automatic 1 year manufacture's warranty and if there is a failure they will replace it with a prepaid coffin/cardboard box and free shipping. Like PS3 repairs.

[quote name='matthewhsh2002']maybe I just got lucky but I had this for about 6 months and it still works great.

I actually liked it so much that I got another one for my family... but the talk of failure rate is scarying me a bit.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for double post, Is the picture quality that good? Have you tried out the 3D? How is it?

[quote name='Shadowsteal123']Sorry for double post, Is the picture quality that good? Have you tried out the 3D? How is it?[/QUOTE]

Let me just state that I'm not tech savy nor picky.
To my eyes, they are great. I played games/watched movies on 720p LCD screen before and pictures are much clearer on the PS display. My family thinks its great too.

I honestly thought 3D was cool but to me its just a gimmick. It is cool and some games look great using it.
My eyes get tired/dizzy feeling after about 1 hour of 3D playing and the 3D glasses are not that comfortable.

The screen is super reflective and I personally think sound is pretty good for screen that size.

Just in terms of picture quality, I think its great, especially for $200!
Hope this helps,

[quote name='matthewhsh2002']Let me just state that I'm not tech savy nor picky.
To my eyes, they are great. I played games/watched movies on 720p LCD screen before and pictures are much clearer on the PS display. My family thinks its great too.

I honestly thought 3D was cool but to me its just a gimmick. It is cool and some games look great using it.
My eyes get tired/dizzy feeling after about 1 hour of 3D playing and the 3D glasses are not that comfortable.

The screen is super reflective and I personally think sound is pretty good for screen that size.

Just in terms of picture quality, I think its great, especially for $200!
Hope this helps,[/QUOTE]

It does help, I mean for $200 it seems too good to pass up. It's just that my parents will be paying for it. So I'd look really bad if it messes up like other people have experienced. But on the other hand you and several other buyers experienced no problems so far. And besides one year warranty so I can easily RMA at SONY if all is lost. SO i guess I will take the plunge. Thanks

I snagged one a few days ago from BB and went ahead with the 4 yr warranty just because of the high defect rate. $30 was worth it to me after I dropped $7xx on my last flat panel, just to have it die 3 months out of manufacturer warranty.

We've only used it for TV, blu-ray and Wii so far, but anything we've watched in HD so far is absolutely gorgeous. Even before I read a few others here say it, we were saying everything just seems to "pop," even the Wii looks a bit better.

The Mrs. was telling me that she did see it do the black screen once, for a second or two, kind of like a flicker, but we haven't seen it again yet, so we'll see. Knowing Comcast, it may have been them lol. And screen is very reflective, but for the most part ignorable, and if not, just dim the room lighting a bit while watching it.

I still need to try my PS3 on it, and throw in a 3D game and 3D blu-ray, but I've just been too damn busy:wall:

I got to spend some time with this last night and WOW, I hope this doesn't break on me--because I love it!

First off, it's a good-looking unit that's easy to assemble. When you turn it on--*swoon*--the image is gorgeous. I have a six-year-old, 61" DLP as my main screen and a 46" LCD in the bedroom (both Samsungs), and though they are both excellent, this really stands out. I think it must be the pixel density or something--1080p crammed into a 24" panel looks really smooth.

I tried a Blu-ray (Suckerpunch--looked good) and my first game was Wipeout HD (which blew me away). Even without 3D mode enabled, I'd never seen the game (or maybe any game) look that good. The colors, the smoothness... it was something of a revelation to me.

By then, the glasses had charged and I tried 3D mode. Pow! Nice, deep 3D, though I cannot claim to be an expert as this is my first 3D panel. I did notice some "crosstalk" or whatever the term is for bleeding or blurring, but I haven't messed with the 3D settings and I don't know how much of that is inherent to the technology.

The screen was a bit dimmer, of course, due to the 3D glasses (which I found perfectly comfortable, but perhaps I was expecting the worst). I played in a full-dark room, so the image was plenty bright. Daytime play may be another matter.

I went on to try some Gran Turismo 5. The game already looks incredible, so the 3D came across as more of a novelty there, adding somewhat of a cartoonish depth to the race. I circled the track three times with a big smile on my face.

The real show-stopper was Killzone 3. Granted, all of these games are lookers to start with, but between the monitor's high image quality and 3D, they just jumped to a new level for me.

Killzone 3 looked like a shooting gallery in a box, and I mean that in the best possible way. My gun looked detailed and sharp in the foreground, and the enemies and debris strewn about receded into the distance convincingly. Ashes fell from the sky in remarkably realistic fashion, with some occasionally dropping so close to the "camera" that I felt the instinct to duck.

I went to bed smiling and that smile returned when I woke up this morning and remembered last night's travails.

Now, having said THAT, the screen IS small. The lack of a remote control hurts right away, as setup is unnecessarily troublesome. And by that, I mean any number of four-letter words that I spat through gritted teeth but won't repeat here. Fumbling around for picture and 3D controls, I accidentally powered down the display three times--a damning performance that really highlights this dumb design decision.

The buttons themselves don't feel that high-quality, either. But then again, I've not yet read of anyone complaining about the buttons breaking.

Worse are the speakers. There's a subwoofer in there? Really, Sony? Because these things are horrible, and I can say that unconditionally. The sound that issues from them is embarrassing, and one of the (more sedate) background menu tunes on GT5 made the speakers squelch and squeal in a way that made me think one of them was physically broken. Yes, they're tinny. No, I have no other options (besides headphones) as I am still one of the 21st-century cavemen running an archaic 2.1 bookshelf speaker system (with red and white audio cables) for sound in that room (my office).

I didn't encounter any reliability problems last night--no stuck pixels, the panel seems evenly lit--so I am hoping that by some small miracle I got one that won't have problems. At this rate, for $200 (plus $20 a two-year warranty), I'll put up with one exchange if need be, because this is a pretty low cost of entry for me to get a really nice console/gaming laptop display in the house, and one that does 3D to boot.

The fact that I like it so much makes it doubly disappointing that the product is plagued with such quality issues. It's so darned BEAUTIFUL that I really want to own and to use this thing for years to come. I guess that's what warranties are for. Had this product not had problems, I wouldn't have had the chance to pick it up for two bills in the first place.

I consider it a risk, but in my case, a risk worth taking. Whether the same is true for you depends on your budget and you.

Did I mention it looks gorgeous?

After reading through this thread, I wouldn't mind snagging one of these 3D Display. I just don't want to burn my credit on it. Is it sad that I want to use my credit on $9.99 - $19.99 games? Lol

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']After reading through this thread, I wouldn't mind snagging one of these 3D Display. I just don't want to burn my credit on it. Is it sad that I want to use my credit on $9.99 - $19.99 games? Lol[/QUOTE]

You get motorstorm apocalypse with the tv, which is awesome IMO.

so i went and burned up some great on one of these displays at gamestop. set up was a breeze but i wasnt seeing any 3d displayed on the 3dauto setting. I called customer service and was advised to exchange it. So i go back to the gamestop and do just that. Soon as i got home i tried again and still no 3d auto, they infrared sensors and shutters would only activate when i switch it to top&bottom and side by side which was horrible. So i call customer service again and go through 2 hrs of troubleshooting, different hdmi cords, both ps3's and still nothing. So long story short, a repair box is on its way....im not really mad about it, i have 3 tv's to game on so no big deal. I just wonder if gamestops stock was bad or im just unlucky.

[quote name='Rasen']Just curious, but for all the people who have this TV, does anyone else see a very thin green line at the bottom of the screen? It's not enough to affect anything, it's just that now that I know it's there, I can't unsee it. (I don't know if it makes a difference, but I see the line when playing a DVD on my PS2 slim, using component cables.)[/QUOTE]

Just answering my own question, so that no one thinks that there's yet another problem with the 3D display. It was actually the DVD which had a thin green line at the bottom. The reason that didn't occur to me was because the green line was actually longer than the width of the video.

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']so i went and burned up some great on one of these displays at gamestop. set up was a breeze but i wasnt seeing any 3d displayed on the 3dauto setting. I called customer service and was advised to exchange it. So i go back to the gamestop and do just that. Soon as i got home i tried again and still no 3d auto, they infrared sensors and shutters would only activate when i switch it to top&bottom and side by side which was horrible. So i call customer service again and go through 2 hrs of troubleshooting, different hdmi cords, both ps3's and still nothing. So long story short, a repair box is on its way....im not really mad about it, i have 3 tv's to game on so no big deal. I just wonder if gamestops stock was bad or im just unlucky.[/QUOTE]

I was having a similar issue. /it wasnt a display issue though, it was a set up issue.

Go to Display settings, do auto configuration for the hdmi cable that came with the display. You should get resolutions that say 3d next to them (1080p 3D).

Make sure in Display or Video Settings that the 240hz is set to automatic

Display should be on automatic 3d (not that top bottom crap or side to side crap)

Glasses should be on On switch, and powered up with red light on.

Load up the Motorstorm game that came with the display. When loaded, it will say, Play in 3D?, Select it. Glasses will darken and display will blur.

Of note: I tried to use 3D with Ratchet & clank all4one from ps plus download, and I couldnt get it to work.
3D worked in motorstorm (disc), mortal kombat (digital), sly 2 (digital)

[quote name='Carlanga']Because I think they just updated the offer back down again ;)[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Weird that they would stop it for a day.

[quote name='jedolley']Good to know. Weird that they would stop it for a day.[/QUOTE]
yeah, I think they would have to update the offer @ BB every week since eGS will have it up to 7/31 according to the offer ending date.

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer']I was having a similar issue. /it wasnt a display issue though, it was a set up issue.

Go to Display settings, do auto configuration for the hdmi cable that came with the display. You should get resolutions that say 3d next to them (1080p 3D).

Make sure in Display or Video Settings that the 240hz is set to automatic

Display should be on automatic 3d (not that top bottom crap or side to side crap)

Glasses should be on On switch, and powered up with red light on.

Load up the Motorstorm game that came with the display. When loaded, it will say, Play in 3D?, Select it. Glasses will darken and display will blur.

Of note: I tried to use 3D with Ratchet & clank all4one from ps plus download, and I couldnt get it to work.
3D worked in motorstorm (disc), mortal kombat (digital), sly 2 (digital)[/QUOTE]

So i went ahead and followed your steps. For some reason when i go to video settings it is only outputing in 24 hz..tried with both of my ps3's and no luck...there isnt a option to change the hertz output, or am i just missing something. thanks.

My display went black 3 times last night, just flicked off for two seconds and came back on. Going to try and exchange if a bb around me has one. This black screen is what everyone is talking about, leading to a dead display, right?

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']So i went ahead and followed your steps. For some reason when i go to video settings it is only outputing in 24 hz..tried with both of my ps3's and no luck...there isnt a option to change the hertz output, or am i just missing something. thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant 24hz. Set it to automatic.

Did the ps3 show the resolutions w/ 3d next to them?

720p (3D)
1080p (3D)

Uh has this happen to anybody? I ordered the Playstation 3D Display from best buy with a 4 year warranty which was $30 today at 1:08 pm then I checked my email because I also bought the MW3 map packs that was on but when I checked my inbox to get the code but then I received an order from best buy's customer service at 1:13 pm(5 min. later WTF!?) saying that my order was cancel due to that "they were unable to verify my information"? My information was right andmy credit card(if it was the problem) is also right, I bought stuff before on best buy and I never had a message from them saying that? If anything helps I placed my tv for in store pickup and last night the 4 year warranty was $50 and right now it's $30. I am piss as hell! :bomb:

[quote name='gage006']Is this one of Best Buy's regular sales? Ends Saturday? Any info?[/QUOTE]
It's a Price Match Sale with GameStop. Probably will be reset each week as GameStop keeps the sale or not, so YMMV.

[quote name='jl_rival']Uh has this happen to anybody? I ordered the Playstation 3D Display from best buy with a 4 year warranty which was $30 today at 1:08 pm then I checked my email because I also bought the MW3 map packs that was on but when I checked my inbox to get the code but then I received an order from best buy's customer service at 1:13 pm(5 min. later WTF!?) saying that my order was cancel due to that "they were unable to verify my information"? My information was right andmy credit card(if it was the problem) is also right, I bought stuff before on best buy and I never had a message from them saying that? If anything helps I placed my tv for in store pickup and last night the 4 year warranty was $50 and right now it's $30. I am piss as hell! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I haven't had that problem myself, but I have certainly heard of others receiving similar emails for random purchases.

My best guess would be to call the number that was probably provided in that email from customer service to find out what the problem is. And in the process you might be able to get them to adjust the warranty price for you. You'll have better luck if you act calm, cool and collected and not "piss as hell." ;-)

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer']Sorry, I meant 24hz. Set it to automatic.

Did the ps3 show the resolutions w/ 3d next to them?

720p (3D)
1080p (3D)[/QUOTE]

Cool.Got it work finally. Tried SOTC(Insane) and AC:R. All i was missing was going into option and switching it to 3d. Except i cannot find the option in UC3 for some reason. Thank you for the help! Now if i could only get Walking Dead to work.

[quote name='gage006']Is this one of Best Buy's regular sales? Ends Saturday? Any info?[/QUOTE]

From my understanding it almost seems like a new MSRP for it at best buy. The tag isn't listed on sale or anything just a flat "$199.99"

By the way, how are/were people trading in Motorstorm Apocalypse at Best Buy for $23? Do you have to be a special member or something?

[quote name='Kolgar']By the way, how are/were people trading in Motorstorm Apocalypse at Best Buy for $23? Do you have to be a special member or something?[/QUOTE]

I just did it today.

The TIV is $11 base. That's $22 after the 100% bonus promo that runs until 7/7. Another 10% for the unlocked membership makes it $23.10.

I caved and got the display since I'm stuck in a shitty corporate apartment for the rest of the year with a TINY TUBE TV. Apparently they're pretty rare to find now too.
Is BB the best place to trade-in Motorstorm? I just can't believe brand new its only worth 20 bucks, its a badass game (I already have a copy).

[quote name='ZincAlloy']I caved and got the display since I'm stuck in a shitty corporate apartment for the rest of the year with a TINY TUBE TV.[/QUOTE]

That's awful.
FWP

[quote name='ZincAlloy']Apparently they're pretty rare to find now too.[/QUOTE]

Some local BBs here just restocked, and others have reported similar.

[quote name='gantt']That's awful.
FWP

Some local BBs here just restocked, and others have reported similar.[/QUOTE]

The closest BestBuy that had might have had 1 was over half an hour away. I said fuck that and just went to Gamestop :( (something I hate doing!).
GOD I miss my 55" XBR 929!!!

Does this show 3d with everything on auto mode? Like do you wear the glasses and it gives an effect like the 3ds? I know it's a silly question, but you all seem much more techy then I am.

Lol! It gives much nicer 3D than the 3DS since its active 3d. The 3DS 3D is similar to a pop-up book. The 3D on a display like this with PS3 games (for example Shadows of the Colossus of Resistance 3) is nothing short of amazing.

Well, I now own the world's largest PSP. So far I've only played in that mode, but it's tremendous. Can't wait to hook the PS3 up to it and check out the other features.

This is tempting, if only I had the money for it. I paid $200 for a Samsung HD monitor LED 24' monitor about a couple years ago.

So at this price it is tempting, but back then I didn't have something HD to connect my PS3 to.

Edit: I'd probably jump if this thing had a digital TV tuner built-in/included.

Something similar to those digital to analog converter boxes where you can pull in local television channels without a computer. Until then, I'll keep searching for a digital TV tuner box that uses HDMI or component cables.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']This is tempting, if only I had the money for it. I paid $200 for a Samsung HD monitor LED 24' monitor about a couple years ago.

So at this price it is tempting, but back then I didn't have something HD to connect my PS3 to.

Something similar to those digital to analog converter boxes where you can pull in local television channels without a computer. Until then, I'll keep searching for a digital TV tuner box that uses HDMI or component cables.[/QUOTE]

WOW! $200 for a 24 foot monitor is quite a steal! :)

[quote name='tuffguycore']Does this show 3d with everything on auto mode? Like do you wear the glasses and it gives an effect like the 3ds? I know it's a silly question, but you all seem much more techy then I am.[/QUOTE]
I don't know but I helped my buddy hook up and hang his Panasonic 3d display When we tried to 2d-3d conversion Irobot just happen to be on and the scene where all the robots go rogue for the first time. That itself had me impressed! Wasn't pop out 3d but it did give the scenes some nice depth

[quote name='tuffguycore']Does this show 3d with everything on auto mode? Like do you wear the glasses and it gives an effect like the 3ds? I know it's a silly question, but you all seem much more techy then I am.[/QUOTE]

No

[quote name='ZincAlloy']Lol! It gives much nicer 3D than the 3DS since its active 3d. The 3DS 3D is similar to a pop-up book. The 3D on a display like this with PS3 games (for example Shadows of the Colossus of Resistance 3) is nothing short of amazing.[/QUOTE]

2nd you on SOTC..i was truely impressed with this liitle guy...makes me want to purchase a larger display in the near future...hopefully Black Friday and this will be my pc monitor once i build a gaming rig. Thanks CAG for the heads up! By the way, anyone that purchased theirs from Gamestop, do they offer a extended warranty?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']This is tempting, if only I had the money for it. I paid $200 for a Samsung HD monitor LED 24' monitor about a couple years ago.

Something similar to those digital to analog converter boxes where you can pull in local television channels without a computer. Until then, I'll keep searching for a digital TV tuner box that uses HDMI or component cables.[/QUOTE]

you must be a rich man

[quote name='ZincAlloy']Lol! It gives much nicer 3D than the 3DS since its active 3d. The 3DS 3D is similar to a pop-up book. The 3D on a display like this with PS3 games (for example Shadows of the Colossus of Resistance 3) is nothing short of amazing.[/QUOTE]

LOL, you are kidding, right?

The 3D effect is no different from the 3DS (Except for the hideous glasses you have to wear).

Its a nice screen though, and PC games like Alan Wake are surely worth playing in 3D.

[quote name='DarkPGR']LOL, you are kidding, right?

The 3D effect is no different from the 3DS (Except for the hideous glasses you have to wear).

Its a nice screen though, and PC games like Alan Wake are surely worth playing in 3D.[/QUOTE]

You clearly haven't played Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, or Wipeout in 3D...the 3D of those games looks NOTHING like the 3DS.

Games that weren't built for 3D and are later made compatible don't look as good and have a similar 3DS effect. Such as Arkham City or Assassins Creed Revelations. They have a bit of a pop out and look cool but nothing to wet yourself over.

[quote name='DarkPGR']LOL, you are kidding, right?

Its a nice screen though, and PC games like Alan Wake are surely worth playing in 3D.[/QUOTE]

You are probably one of those people that can't actually see the 3D.

bread's done
Back