Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cagfansub']Dude, if you want to use it with the PC and possible HDTV.. check out the
Samsung 24" T24B350 (price $199).. it has a ATSC TV Tuner as well but unfortunately no 3D feature.[/QUOTE]

I was looking for a monitor mainly for PC. I'm not really interested in a tv tuner nor 3D. I was tempted by this display due to its 3D capabilities but its questionable reliability turned me off. So I'm pretty happy with the ASUS I got from Amazon. With the rebate, it came out to $135 (which I used Amazon credit to buy). But thanks for this recommendation. I did consider it but since I wanted a DVI connection, I went with the ASUS.

Newegg jumping on the $200 is a tempting purchase. A part of me thinks it's a great deal, but then a part of me wonders what will happen if I'm out of a monitor for 1-2 weeks due to this thing having problems.

I might just end up keeping my current monitor as a backup (but I have a friend willing to buy this one if I do get this).

2 questions for owners of this monitor:
1. What resolution is this monitor?
2. What warranty company did you go with? I heard Squaretrade is very good and a 3 year warranty for HDTVs according their site is only $35. I might contact them to get an exact estimate, but I'm curious on what others have bought with it as well.

EDIT: Just called for the heck of it and Squaretrade said they would sell me a 4 year warranty for the display for only $35. The website said $40 for this, not shabby. It's very tempting at this point.

[quote name='SanjiX']Newegg jumping on the $200 is a tempting purchase. A part of me thinks it's a great deal, but then a part of me wonders what will happen if I'm out of a monitor for 1-2 weeks due to this thing having problems.

I might just end up keeping my current monitor as a backup (but I have a friend willing to buy this one if I do get this).

2 questions for owners of this monitor:
1. What resolution is this monitor?
2. What warranty company did you go with? I heard Squaretrade is very good and a 3 year warranty for HDTVs according their site is only $35. I might contact them to get an exact estimate, but I'm curious on what others have bought with it as well.

EDIT: Just called for the heck of it and Squaretrade said they would sell me a 4 year warranty for the display for only $35. The website said $40 for this, not shabby. It's very tempting at this point.[/QUOTE]

I was able to get a 4-year Squaretrade warranty for $24.49 after coupon. I found this coupon in my email during Father's Day but it still worked last week. Use a credit card that extends warranties to add another 1 year on top of that.

Well crap. I cannot get this to work as my computer monitor. I have a Vista computer with Geforce 8500GT video card, with DVI and HDMI out but neither is working with the PS 3d Display. I don't even care about 3D on the computer I just want it to work as a monitor.

I bought a DVI to HDMI converter and that didn't work either.

When I boot up the initial setup screen shows on the display but then nothing. The Vista intro screen and nothing that follows is coming up. Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any help

-V-

[quote name='venturin']Well crap. I cannot get this to work as my computer monitor. I have a Vista computer with Geforce 8500GT video card, with DVI and HDMI out but neither is working with the PS 3d Display. I don't even care about 3D on the computer I just want it to work as a monitor.

I bought a DVI to HDMI converter and that didn't work either.

When I boot up the initial setup screen shows on the display but then nothing. The Vista intro screen and nothing that follows is coming up. Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any help

-V-[/QUOTE]

Are you using dual monitors? Were you using the DVI or HDMI on your other monitor before hooking this one up?

Sounds like this is a windows issue. If you can, try booting with both displays connected and see if windows comes up on one or the other. If it only comes up on one, Left click -> Screen Resolution -> Detect. I had no issues at all getting mine set up, just plugged it in and that was all.

I have my PS3D hooked up to HDMI and my HP 2009m hooked up to DVI on a Radeon HD 6670.

I'm not too terribly impressed with the turnaround on getting this monitor fixed (or replaced with a refurb most likely). It has been a week and I still have not even received the coffin yet.

[quote name='io']I'm not too terribly impressed with the turnaround on getting this monitor fixed (or replaced with a refurb most likely). It has been a week and I still have not even received the coffin yet.[/QUOTE]
When did you talk to the rep? Don't forget that this was a holiday week.

[quote name='simmias']When did you talk to the rep? Don't forget that this was a holiday week.[/QUOTE]

It was well before that - last Thursday or Friday I think. And I mean before the week of the 4th. They sent me an email on Monday (the 2nd) saying the coffin would arrive in 3-5 business days. So, OK, it is has been 4 if you take out the 4th.

Still, though - they say it will be 7-10 business days once they receive the display back from me. That's like 2 weeks. So let's say I get it this week, then add another week for return delivery: it's going to be about a month turnaround time. I mean Microsoft was much, much faster when my 360 got the RRoD.

Just to give you guys an update...I finally tried it out on my pc using a DVI to HDMI cable on my 9800GT. I have not changed any settings and everything looks fine. Even red text on dark. Everything looks great straight out of the box.

Standard settings which is everything around 50. I think the monitor looks fantastic and knock on wood, has not had any flicker problems.

I've tried general browsing and gaming L4D2 or Diablo 3. Running in dual screen set up with a 19" view sonic. The only issue I've noticed, which I can't be certain isn't simply from my older vid card, is slight input lag. Mouse def seems a frame or 2 behind on the ps3 display compared to moving it on the viewsonic...

So far so good, I'd say..

I am on the fence to buy it, but was wondering if $199 is the new MSRP price for this monitor. I looked it at few Best Buy stores in my area as well as Game Stops and all have a regular price tag of $199, not CLEARANCE or SALES tag. Having in mind that this is the second week with the same price is it posible $199 is the new MSRP and than if still some are left after few weeks the retailers may starting discounting it even furder down on clearance or sale?

Just got one of the last ones near Phoenix AZ. I got it at a best buy and have played around with it for quite some time today. (My Primary Focus for this is connection to my Imac and 360). I have gone on youtube......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSGfN9rr78Q (MUST WATCH) and have been blown away. 360 Gaming is great and It is the best display in my house. I have a Sony Bravia 40" and a 42" Sharp from black friday. The brightness is great on it and it seems to run nice and cool. Watched a UFC Blu Ray from 2008 and was also blown away. If you are on the fence... my advice is DO IT. I bought the 4 year warranty from best buy for 30 bucks so im not gonna be too worried over the display messing up.

To the PC Users I had no issues in Windows 7 64Bit in bootcamp on a 2011 Imac. OSX 10.7 runs and looks well on it.

GO BUY THIS THING. 200 is worth it. I said I'd bite when it got to 200... and so I did.

[quote name='xJoeGrizzly']Just got one of the last ones near Phoenix AZ. I got it at a best buy and have played around with it for quite some time today. (My Primary Focus for this is connection to my Imac and 360). I have gone on youtube......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSGfN9rr78Q (MUST WATCH) and have been blown away. 360 Gaming is great and It is the best display in my house. I have a Sony Bravia 40" and a 42" Sharp from black friday. The brightness is great on it and it seems to run nice and cool. Watched a UFC Blu Ray from 2008 and was also blown away. If you are on the fence... my advice is DO IT. I bought the 4 year warranty from best buy for 30 bucks so im not gonna be too worried over the display messing up.

To the PC Users I had no issues in Windows 7 64Bit in bootcamp on a 2011 Imac. OSX 10.7 runs and looks well on it.

GO BUY THIS THING. 200 is worth it. I said I'd bite when it got to 200... and so I did.[/QUOTE]

On another note.. on the youtube video you should watch full screen and set the 3D on side to side on the youtube player. Also watch in 1080p (worth the bandwidth)

To those of you with faulty units, could you confirm for me your model number?

TMK, the # is something like CECH-ZED1U...i don't remember exactly but I ask because my unit model ends in _X. I was wondering if all units ended in that model number or if maybe the X signifies a revised version...

So far after about four days of use as a console monitor, tv monitor and pc monitor, I haven't had any flickers, ghosting or blurred text people complain about. If we could confirm if there is indeed an updated model number, it could help new purchasers locate a working unit

Had this display for around 2 weeks when it suddenly gave me a black screen followed by the blinking red light. Fortunately i was able to return it to BB, hope the rest of you have better luck.

[quote name='cagfansub']Another 24" TV/Monitor that just came out is the Samsung T24A350B. It is 1080p with 2 HDMIs. It has a tuner. This may be good for those looking for ATSC tuner for over the air HDTV. I think this is also good for PS3 gaming (non-3D). Also, it can be used as PC monitor (via VGA input). Much better sound quality than the Target's Sceptre.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod6560096

Sams Club selling for $198.[/QUOTE]

Finally able to go to a sams club today but the price is up to $238 now. I even checked last night at 11 to make sure the price was still $198, which it was but I went today and if you check te price it is now $238. I didn't even get to check it out in hd because they all had iron man 2 playing from a cheap DVD player. Oh well

Hey, I've been letting it play dvds for long stretches of time, and I'm not sure if there've been any problems because I'm not really watching (I just wanna put the display through its paces)

When the screen goes black, is it like a half-second flicker or does it last for a couple seconds? Does the sound still play when it does?

According to people with the issue, sound keeps playing and screen goes black for 2-4 seconds. By all reports, not a quick flicker.

Further updating on my experiences with this display, I still have not run into any flicker issues or "all text is fuzzy". However, I DID test the red text on black and it is pretty bad. I never noticed while playing games or even red text on black in Diablo 3. It always looked fine. However, while browsing, it looks pretty bad. For example, the red text in these forums, the smaller fonts can't even be read.

So issues:

#1 Red blurry font on black backgrounds (while browsing & probably anything non-gaming)
#2 Edge lit LED. This causes the left and right side of the monitor to show a stronger "brightness" because that's where the LEDs for lighting the monitor are. On bright scenes, it appears whiter and on dark scenes it appears with a greenish huge. Depending on your viewing angle, this can be a severe distraction or hardly any.

I'm already on my 2nd week with the display and I used this thing NONSTOP for 5 days in a row (I was stuck at home sick) for Netflix/games. Literally 24 hours a day (I'd leave Netflix on to fall asleep), and play videogames the rest of the day, even leaving it on while cooking meals for myself. Knock on wood! But ZERO problems so far and it still looks beautiful.

[quote name='ZincAlloy']I'm already on my 2nd week with the display and I used this thing NONSTOP for 5 days in a row (I was stuck at home sick) for Netflix/games. Literally 24 hours a day (I'd leave Netflix on to fall asleep), and play videogames the rest of the day, even leaving it on while cooking meals for myself. Knock on wood! But ZERO problems so far and it still looks beautiful.[/QUOTE]

I hate to be that person...but you really need to get out more.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']I hate to be that person...but you really need to get out more.[/QUOTE]

huh? dude said he was sick. If you haven't been sick for 5 days ever, consider yourself lucky. Not uncommon to have a case of the flu which lasts at least for a few days before you start feeling better.

Update on Sony's repair process: I'm now 8 days out from when they supposedly shipped my coffin and I still haven't gotten it.

CECH-ZED1U_X. It's presumably a recently stocked unit, but I don't know for sure.

Don't know if it's faulty or not yet.

I'd also like to see if there are different model numbers out there, and if so, if one of them appears to be "fixed." Based on the lack of response to your post so far, though, my expectations are low.

[quote name='KryllFood']To those of you with faulty units, could you confirm for me your model number?

TMK, the # is something like CECH-ZED1U...i don't remember exactly but I ask because my unit model ends in _X. I was wondering if all units ended in that model number or if maybe the X signifies a revised version...

So far after about four days of use as a console monitor, tv monitor and pc monitor, I haven't had any flickers, ghosting or blurred text people complain about. If we could confirm if there is indeed an updated model number, it could help new purchasers locate a working unit[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gantt']CECH-ZED1U_X. It's presumably a recently stocked unit, but I don't know for sure.

Don't know if it's faulty or not yet.

I'd also like to see if there are different model numbers out there, and if so, if one of them appears to be "fixed." Based on the lack of response to your post so far, though, my expectations are low.[/QUOTE]

Did a quick check of mine and mine too ends in an X. Haven't had any issues with moderate use in the past 2 weeks and i've been looking out for the flicker of death...

CECH-ZED1U_X is the same model as mine, and it has started having problems. While frustrating, I'm not sweating it too much, I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. Now to just get them to ship me a coffin, buy another one at BB while I wait for Sony to return a repaired unit, then maybe return the second one. Or keep it :) Then just be prepared to send that one in too:roll:

[quote name='godsmack13']CECH-ZED1U_X is the same model as mine, and it has started having problems. While frustrating, I'm not sweating it too much, I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. Now to just get them to ship me a coffin, buy another one at BB while I wait for Sony to return a repaired unit, then maybe return the second one. Or keep it :)[/QUOTE]

i'll buy the fixed one for 160 :roll:

For only $200, decided to give it a shot... not much to lose and I'll play around with some of the 3D stuff... seems like a nice display when it works.

Either no one is buying these or newegg had a crapton of them... still in stock... and they're even limiting them to 20 per customer ;-)
-checking their inventory, looks like 13 left today...

[quote name='gugaplex']Did a quick check of mine and mine too ends in an X. Haven't had any issues with moderate use in the past 2 weeks and i've been looking out for the flicker of death...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='godsmack13']CECH-ZED1U_X is the same model as mine, and it has started having problems.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing. So it appears the _X units may not be "fixed." Oh well, was too much to hope for.

Used mine for work over the weekend. Text can be adjusted so it's not noticeable. I haven't played many games on it but I'm looking forward to trying out some 3D in the next few days.

If people insist on buying this pos I would suggest 2 things 1) buying a small fan to blow on the back of the unit, as the LOS/black screen flash might be heat related. I experienced the black screen 2 weeks after purchasing and it had gotten so bad I was ready to put my foot through it when I noticed it was overheating, now I only experience the black screen when everything in the room radiates heat. 2) buying an anti-glare film. With the unit's very beautiful and very annoying black piano finish, which in imho causes the cross-talk (ghosting) which is really (really) noticeable when attempting to enjoy Uncharted 3 (sadly). It also helps eliminate the person staring back at you, especially when the screen goes black and they ask "Was it worth it?". For those expecting to use this as a PC monitor I'm sad to say it sucks, lol badly as it is next to impossible to adjust the depth of black and somethings just look like a black hole where not even light can escape.

Where are you guys looking at the model number? Mine doesn't list CECH-ZED1U_X like that. Above the sticker I see a model No CECH-ZED1U (without the _X) but on the sticker below that it does start with "ZED1UX"

Does that mean mine is different or the same as the rest of yours?

^

Plenty of people on the PS Boards have already confirmed that WITH a fan or during pure cold of winter, their display still blacked out. Thus heat is not the issue. There are also those that have had 0 problems in standard room temperature. As far as ghosting, that sounds like you have a faulty unit because I, along with many others, have not encountered ANY ghosting on this monitor.

I still have a pretty big problem with pure-red text on black backgrounds (kinda-reds look fine). Those of you browsing w/ the display right now can test it by looking at the red font used all over these forums dictating the forum rules.

As far as I can tell, this is an issue with the display working at 4:2:2 color space and typical PC monitors working at 4:4:4. There's a "chroma subsampling" going on that most TVs can disable in "pc mode" but as this monitor does not have a "pc mode" the only thing you can do is reach a balance with the "sharpness" filter between ordinary text getting to crunch and red text looking good enough.

Lowering brightness, color, and contrast seems to help in making the problematic red text a bit better.

[quote name='FadeToOne']Where are you guys looking at the model number? Mine doesn't list CECH-ZED1U_X like that. Above the sticker I see a model No CECH-ZED1U (without the _X) but on the sticker below that it does start with "ZED1UX"

Does that mean mine is different or the same as the rest of yours?[/QUOTE]

I was looking on the box. I haven't actually looked at the sticker on my actual display. On the big white box the display comes in, there's a sticker that shows through the graphic sleeve that has model #, serial #, and 3 barcodes. I found my ZED1U_X there.

[quote name='FadeToOne']Where are you guys looking at the model number? Mine doesn't list CECH-ZED1U_X like that. Above the sticker I see a model No CECH-ZED1U (without the _X) but on the sticker below that it does start with "ZED1UX"

Does that mean mine is different or the same as the rest of yours?[/QUOTE]

I was just reading the model number off the box it came in, but I think it would stand to reason yours is still the same. If no one else has confirmed it, I will try to look at the back of the actual display when I get home tonight, whenever that may be o.0

[quote name='godsmack13']I was just reading the model number off the box it came in, but I think it would stand to reason yours is still the same. If no one else has confirmed it, I will try to look at the back of the actual display when I get home tonight, whenever that may be o.0[/QUOTE]

Ah, yeah, I already stored the box away. Sounds like they are the same. I can't imagine there were many iterations of this model to begin with.

Can someone help me nitpick the hell out of my display. I bought it from best buy and am trying to figure out if I should return it or just go with it... I believe I have about 5 dead pixels and 4 stuck ones. I've been hooking this and a TV together from a ati 5770, and apparently through my dvi converter I can't access "pixel format" in the catalyst and the colors look all dull. So much for using the old HDTV's superior speakers, I'll have to dedicate the one HDMI port to this better looking display for the good pixel format. Anyway, here is a few questions that would calm the OCD.

1. What's the little R on the bottom front side of the bezel mean?

2. When you turn your display on and put your ear behind the display, do you hear the buzzing from the component input side? I havn't owned many monitors, so I'm not sure buzzing is common in most new ones. Laptop screens don't buzz. I also thought that maybe this is the power supply slowly dying...

3. My display came out of the box with a few minor scuffs and some weird glue stuff stuck along that part of the bezel with the little R on it and the ps logo. Is there a peel-able piece of plastic there or do you think it is possibly "used" or refurbished already?

I too have the ZED1U_X on my boxes sticker, and ZED1UX(etc) on the display itself. Not sure where you'd see it without the X.

[quote name='slugboss']Can someone help me nitpick the hell out of my display. I bought it from best buy and am trying to figure out if I should return it or just go with it... I believe I have about 5 dead pixels and 4 stuck ones. I've been hooking this and a TV together from a ati 5770, and apparently through my dvi converter I can't access "pixel format" in the catalyst and the colors look all dull. So much for using the old HDTV's superior speakers, I'll have to dedicate the one HDMI port to this better looking display for the good pixel format. Anyway, here is a few questions that would calm the OCD.

1. What's the little R on the bottom front side of the bezel mean?

2. When you turn your display on and put your ear behind the display do you hear the buzzing from the component input side? I havn't owned many monitors, so I'm not sure buzzing is common in most new ones. Laptop screens don't buzz. I also thought that maybe this is power supply slowly dying...

3. My display came out of the box with a few minor scuffs and some weird glue stuff stuck along that part of the bezel with the little R on it and the ps logo. Is there a peel-able piece of plastic there or do you think it is possibly "used" or refurbished already?

I too have the ZED1U_X on my boxes sticker, and ZED1UX(etc) on the display itself. Not sure where you'd see it without the X.[/QUOTE]

The bottom has a long strip of protective plastic... ANyone have some settings they can share with me for optimum PC use??

My monitor is damaged..any one have any used HD monitor for playing ps3 that can sell to me in a cheaper price>>>< I dont have too much money>

[quote name='cigaro']The bottom has a long strip of protective plastic... ANyone have some settings they can share with me for optimum PC use??[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I was afraid I was damaging the plastic picking at it. Don't have any precise configuration yet, but setting the sharpness to 0 is a MUST for PC use.

[quote name='slugboss']Thank you, I was afraid I was damaging the plastic picking at it. Don't have any precise configuration yet, but setting the sharpness to 0 is a MUST for PC use.[/QUOTE]

... and lower the brightness (reds look horrible otherwise as if bleeding and blacks are not as crisp)

I picked up one of these and so far the unit is great. 3D on PS3 is surprisingly addictive. Been struggling with trying to get the thing to be recognized as an HDMI 1.4 device through NVIDIA control panel on my PC to mess around with 3D. Any one have any recent advice that works without resorting to last years drivers for NVIDIA?

Thanks

[quote name='Smite']I picked up one of these and so far the unit is great. 3D on PS3 is surprisingly addictive. Been struggling with trying to get the thing to be recognized as an HDMI 1.4 device through NVIDIA control panel on my PC to mess around with 3D. Any one have any recent advice that works without resorting to last years drivers for NVIDIA?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
The display is not supported by nvidia for 3D..... youre going to have to modify inf files to trick it into thinking it is a different display

Actually, that might depend on the nvidea graphics card being used. My cousin has a 560ti and had no issues getting Arkham City running 3d with it. I have dual 550's but haven't bothered with it just yet.

After exactly 2 weeks, my BestBuy bought display is completely broken. When I try to turn it on, I get the dreaded Red Light of Death. I'm going to BestBuy tomorrow to figure out my options. I had bought the 4 year protection plan on it. I already traded in the game however. Not really sure what to expect. lol

So far I am enjoying the display and I must say the 3d is nice and in general 1080p looks so beautiful (I'm coming from 480i) I havent had any problems yet but I want to know does Sony charge to fix repair it or does the company warranty cover it when you buy it?

Does anypony know if we can use any regular remote like those 4$ Ann remotes at walmart for this display?

LOL - my kid left this on over night, from 9pm until 6am, however it had the Roku screen saver on for 95% of that time, thank god! back was barely hot at all. Turned it off and on, worked fine. Fingers crossed I got a super unit!!

now to check the power saver settings on this biatch, if there even are any..

I've had mine running for 3 days straight and so far no problems (knock on wood). I hope mine is a good unit as well!

[quote name='io']Update on Sony's repair process: I'm now 8 days out from when they supposedly shipped my coffin and I still haven't gotten it.[/QUOTE]

I've not call Sony yet because mine just blinks..and just stablize after that. Not consistent with dead red that other forumers have complained.

Wondering if they would pay for the RMA or do you have to pay for shipping?

I hate to see how much it will cost plus insurance since it is such a big box.

bread's done
Back