PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

see thats the thing. i think a lot of people were under the impression that even if you didnt have a 4k tv, at least games that werent running 1080p/60fps would be that and judging by what i understood from that long interview, that isnt the case. if you dont have a 4k tv, spencer flat out says buy the slim instead. well the slim isnt going to make a game that ran at 1080/30 or 900/60 turn into 1080/60.

that scorpio video was hilarious marketing wise. it makes it seem like devs are HAPPY that now when they dev a game for scorpio (and essentially neo) that will have to make sure it runs on basically 5 things instead of 2 (xbone, xbs, scorpio, ps4, neo). more work with no real incentive to make more profit.
Spencer's been clarifying his statements but I now get what why he said what he did.

Basically, games are programmed to run on specific hardware. He used Halo 5 as an example, which scales the resolution up/down in certain parts to maintain a steady 60hz based on what the X1 is capable of. Now, if you take Halo 5 and put it in the Scorpio, the game's engine isn't going to know that it's on better hardware b/c it's not programmed to deal with anything other than the X1. Therefore, it'll continue to run as if it's still on X1. Same issue with the Neo, older games will need to be patched to see any performance gains b/c the games were design specifically for the PS4's specs.

I agree with you though, these consoles are gonna be a huge headache for developers and will likely lead to more problems in some form or another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my favorite part of E3 was when the Square Enix logo popped up and the crowd went crazy (presumably thinking a Kingdom Hearts 3 release date was imminent), only to be disappointed with another Final Fantasy 15 trailer.

PlayStation VR demos are coming to select GameStops and Best Buys starting this weekend. I'll be interested to see what it's really like.
My guess is the experience would go something like stopping dead in your tracks upon seeing someone else waving their arms around like a moron and walking away. :lol:

My guess is the experience would go something like stopping dead in your tracks upon seeing someone else waving their arms around like a moron and walking away. :lol:
I remember using VR in the 90s in the arcades and with the virtual boy. It will be interesting to see if the technology is now viable or if it still has a ways to go. I wish they'd just use a traditional controller and leave the motion controls out of it.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/trial/

Here's the link for people trying to go check it out. Looks like my closest BB is having it on Fridays and Sundays the next few weeks. Hoping to find some time to go check it out. Going by the schedules it has my BB and one 30 minutes away. The other one is Saturdays. I'm wondering if it's gonna be the mobile demos that travel back and forth. I'd like to be able to go during a slow time, and spend some extra time with it. I wonder if that'd be possible. I already have my PS VR on preorder, but I'd still like to try it out a few times. Also judging by the times, it seems like they will have someone working the demos.

I was expecting Sony to announce during their e3 conference that select stores woukd have demos set up. I wonder how many people even know about it.

At first I thought the Resident Evil 7 demo was just good. I like the atmosphere. Part of what I liked about the first Resident Evil was progressively unlocking more of the mansion. My first time playing this demo it looked like that was going to be a part of RE7.

Then I played it again wanting to do something I figured I missed. Now it seems like there is quite a bit more exploring in the demo. It's really piqued my interest.

It's even got me interested in VR. You only get one first playthrough. I would like to play the game in VR, so I'll hold off playing RE7 until I get PSVR. But I want to play RE7, so I might be getting PSVR sooner than I thought.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/trial/

Here's the link for people trying to go check it out. Looks like my closest BB is having it on Fridays and Sundays the next few weeks. Hoping to find some time to go check it out. Going by the schedules it has my BB and one 30 minutes away. The other one is Saturdays. I'm wondering if it's gonna be the mobile demos that travel back and forth. I'd like to be able to go during a slow time, and spend some extra time with it. I wonder if that'd be possible. I already have my PS VR on preorder, but I'd still like to try it out a few times. Also judging by the times, it seems like they will have someone working the demos.

I was expecting Sony to announce during their e3 conference that select stores woukd have demos set up. I wonder how many people even know about it.
Thanks. There are surprisingly a bunch of stores in my area that will have the VR demo. Will I need to bring Lysol wipes or will the people running the booth (I presume it'll be a booth) take care of sanitizing the headsets?

Thanks. There are surprisingly a bunch of stores in my area that will have the VR demo. Will I need to bring Lysol wipes or will the people running the booth (I presume it'll be a booth) take care of sanitizing the headsets?
And that's why I'm scared to demo anything. God knows what would be crawling around inside these things. Hahaha!

At first I thought the Resident Evil 7 demo was just good. I like the atmosphere. Part of what I liked about the first Resident Evil was progressively unlocking more of the mansion. My first time playing this demo it looked like that was going to be a part of RE7.

Then I played it again wanting to do something I figured I missed. Now it seems like there is quite a bit more exploring in the demo. It's really piqued my interest.

It's even got me interested in VR. You only get one first playthrough. I would like to play the game in VR, so I'll hold off playing RE7 until I get PSVR. But I want to play RE7, so I might be getting PSVR sooner than I thought.
just fyi for you, that teaser demo isnt part of the game: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/15/e3-2016-resident-evil-7-teaser-demo-not-part-of-the-main-game

I agree with you though, these consoles are gonna be a huge headache for developers and will likely lead to more problems in some form or another.
Video game consoles as we know it become proprietary PCs. Shouldn't be hard to implement the same graphic settings you see on PC games today.

I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet. I don't think many people realize that right now a 4k pc gaming rig cost about $2,000 plus and that's just to run games at a minimum stable rate and not at the high end. When launching a new console these makers like to boost insane stuff that never even come close to what the consumer actually see. Remember 4D or even cloud computing?

The other "trick" is to announce far in advance of release so that the specs looks impressive and expensive, but costs come down some between the announcement and the actual console introduction to the marketplace.

LOL ole cloud computing.

lots of people are saying they have no idea how scorpio ISNT gonna cost $600-$1000. unless microsoft takes a massive hit per console sold which i cant see them doing.

LOL ole cloud computing.

lots of people are saying they have no idea how scorpio ISNT gonna cost $600-$1000. unless microsoft takes a massive hit per console sold which i cant see them doing.
Maybe their plan is to have a premium $800 gaming machine that essentially doubles as a PC. If they market it as a true hybrid, it could get some buzz, but I think steam machines have proven that market isn't one you're going to sell a lot of consoles in. People just won't buy something that expensive to play games.

It hurt PS3, it hurt XB1 (and those were only $500-600). Just because this new one would have amazing specs doesn't mean it would fare any better, the general populous has no idea what most of those words even mean.

Maybe their plan is to have a premium $800 gaming machine that essentially doubles as a PC. If they market it as a true hybrid, it could get some buzz, but I think steam machines have proven that market isn't one you're going to sell a lot of consoles in. People just won't buy something that expensive to play games.

It hurt PS3, it hurt XB1 (and those were only $500-600). Just because this new one would have amazing specs doesn't mean it would fare any better, the general populous has no idea what most of those words even mean.
if the scorpio or the neo are over $600, theyre going to BOMB. anyone who gives that much of a shit about fps and P's owns a gaming PC

So Until Dawn is a total sleeper hit with me. I nearly finished it in one sitting yesterday, only stopping for Game of Thrones and then bed. Haven't been this enthralled with a similar game since Heavy Rain, but Until Dawn manages to outdo it in the risk department. While Heavy Rain managed to grip me with a 'whodunit', none of my actions really felt impactful and I never truly cared about the main character -- only who the killer was. This time around with Until Dawn, once you associate with a character(s) and you start trying to keep them alive, the game really takes off. Suddenly every move you make has risk and one mistake means your favorite character dies off. That hook alone is the real fear factor most "survival horror" games fail epicly to achieve.

So far I've killed off the characters that annoyed me and am on the last chapter with my two favorites still alive. Even without a guide, it's fairly easy to figure out just what will do them in and the game has some unique mechanics to help swap characters in different scenarios based on favoritism (or at least I believe that's what's going on). It's a cleverly designed game that uses so many deep mechanics that I'm truly blown away by just how smart it comes off as. If it is still $15 at Best Buy, I can't recommend it enough, even to desensitized horror fans as it is far and away one of the best I've played since the original Resident Evil.

I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet. I don't think many people realize that right now a 4k pc gaming rig cost about $2,000 plus and that's just to run games at a minimum stable rate and not at the high end. When launching a new console these makers like to boost insane stuff that never even come close to what the consumer actually see. Remember 4D or even cloud computing?
I feel like it's all marketing speak right now and the reality is that it'll use some kind of tricks to get to 4K... much like the X1 uses scaling, I'm guessing MS is working on something. There's also the darkhorse here in DX12, which we haven't really heard much about... MS seemed pretty confident in its performance gains over DX11, maybe they finally figured out how to make use of those gains.

if the scorpio or the neo are over $600, theyre going to BOMB. anyone who gives that much of a shit about fps and P's owns a gaming PC
I can't imagine the Neo being that much. Current rumors seem to suggest it's basically a PS4 with more updated (more efficient) hardware and overclocked. I can't imagine it'll be more than $400, even if it does include a UHDBD drive (as new rumors suggest). The Scorpio though, I can't see it being less than $600.

I still haven't tried the PS VR, but have recently purchased the Gear VR for my Galaxy S7 Edge phone, I'm even more excited for PS VR now. Some really sweet tech. Still haven't got to spend too much time with it, but from what I have checked out, I'm sold. Even though I do feel like a dork while wearing it with my wife home/awake.

I got to try PSVR last weekend. I played the space shooter Eve: Valkyrie and I thought it was pretty cool. The best way I can explain it is that it was like if Star Tours was a video game. I didn't get nauseous like I thought I may, but I think the display still has a little way to go. The effects were really cool, but the display wasn't bright enough.

If anyone lives near one of the demos this weekend I'd go. It's really neat, but I don't know if it's cool enough for me to want to buy one. I do think that FPS games would really benefit from PSVR and it really has me looking forward to the enviable PSVR2.

One really weird thing was the PSVR processor box... That thing is huge!

This is what I have been wondering. Are we talking like two DVD cases stacked, or what? Bigger than that?

Where does the VR Processor rest while you play? On the couch or table between you and the PS4?

This is what I have been wondering. Are we talking like two DVD cases stacked, or what? Bigger than that?
Where does the VR Processor rest while you play? On the couch or table between you and the PS4?
I just assumed it would sit atop the PS4, but I guess that depends on the length of the included cables.

This image seems to show off scale decently.

[attachment=22725:image.jpeg]

Based on the dimensions I think it's slightly larger than 3 DVD cases stacked or slightly smaller than a Wii. They had the box just next to the PS4, the wires are long enough.

I got to try PSVR last weekend. I played the space shooter Eve: Valkyrie and I thought it was pretty cool. The best way I can explain it is that it was like if Star Tours was a video game. I didn't get nauseous like I thought I may, but I think the display still has a little way to go. The effects were really cool, but the display wasn't bright enough.

If anyone lives near one of the demos this weekend I'd go. It's really neat, but I don't know if it's cool enough for me to want to buy one. I do think that FPS games would really benefit from PSVR and it really has me looking forward to the enviable PSVR2.

I tried it out, played the same game, pretty neat to say the least.

So I got to play the tank game Battlezone on Playstation VR over the weekend. It was pretty cool too and the colors were better than Eve, but the VR experience itself is kind of disorienting. 

I randomly went into Best Buy today unaware about the PSVR demos since it isn't really advertised anywhere.

I had one person ahead of me so I got to see the game where you're in the ocean which look like a vr movie and less of a game.

I got to test out the game with the spaceship, the whole ship is design around you and even behind you which was pretty amazing.

I can actually see myself playing that online often with a group of friends.

I enjoyed it for my first VR experience.

I'm having a headset issue with PS4 gold's and wondering if anybody here has any advice. 

So I've been using my Uncharted 4 Gold's for a few months now without issue and just last night I noticed the incoming chat volume is way too low.  I can hear game audio (bullets, sound effects, etc.) just fine.  It's when others are talking to me with their mics that I can barely hear them (it's like a 3 out of a scale of 10).  The problem is only one way.  As in, my friends can hear me loud and clear but I can barely hear them in game.  It's frustrating because it sounds like I'm talking to myself when I'm in the middle of a match since the game audio drowns out the mic chatter.

When I fiddle around with the audio settings, I notice that the volume headset bar is greyed out.  This is the setting where you typically can find when you go under "settings/devices/audio" or just using the PS button from your controller and select "adjust audio and sounds".  It doesn't seem to be an issue with party chat or in-game chat (even in party chat I selected prioritize party chat and I still get the low volume issue).  I've turned off the mic, unplugged the dongle, even restarted my PS4.  I even tried selecting the "chat" function on the headset and turned the volume all the way up.  No change.

I tried googling it myself but there isn't much I could find?  One link to an IGN page had a troubleshoot for the Pulse headset that had similar issues and all they said was to make sure the USB cord was plugged all the way in.  I did that and the volume headset bar is still greyed out.  Besides the obvious warranty process which would just take weeks, I'm hoping I can just figure out the settings issue on my own since I never dropped or even screwed around with the settings in the first place.  TIA

So right now I have two PS4s and I want to move to one before the Neo or whatever comes out.  The goal being to have the Neo replace the oldest one and then keeping the second one around.  Can I backup and restore my older system (2 TB hard drive) to an external hard drive, then place that hard drive in the newer system (replacing the 500 GB stock hard drive) and then restore on the new system?  I know that will wipe everything on the newer system, but that is fine.  If that works, will it become the default PS4 for my PSN account or do I have to still activate it and such after I'm done and then deactivate the other one?

I've been reading and I'm not clear about the limits of backup and restore.  Ideally, I'd like to avoid having to get another 2 TB hard drive to make room for the upgrade.  I guess if the above doesn't work I'll reduce my files down to less than 500 GBs, transfer between the two systems, and then do the hard drive upgrade.

Any help is appreciated.

Also, if it helps I've done the HDD transfer with one system so I'm familiar with that.  It's just switching which system is the primary one and moving its content to another one that I'm not sure about.

So I just took a GameStop survey and they mentioned a PS4 Slim and PS4 Neo as distinct and separate devices. Anyone ever read anything about a PS4 Slim or have I just missed it?

So I just took a GameStop survey and they mentioned a PS4 Slim and PS4 Neo as distinct and separate devices. Anyone ever read anything about a PS4 Slim or have I just missed it?
It's never actually been talked about in specifics or had specs leaked, but it's been rumored as being a thing for a while.

It's never actually been talked about in specifics or had specs leaked, but it's been rumored as being a thing for a while.
I must have missed that. GameStop described it as a smaller PS4 with 4K Movie capabilities starting at $299. So pretty much just like the Xnox One S.

A slimmer ps4 seems like it'd be hard to accomplish. It already seems quite slim, especially compared to the One and even the ps3.

I keep forgetting this forum exists here!

It's three years old. The chipsets have all gotten smaller and it currently has an internal power supply. It's certainly doable, especially if they get rid of the slot loading BD-Drive and go with a pop top.

My Alienware Alpha is much smaller, but it has no Optical Drive.

Sony Increases Price for PlayStation Plus Membership on September 22nd

Starting on September 22, 2016, prices for PlayStation Plus memberships will change to $59.99 USD/ $69.99 CAD for twelve months and $24.99 USD/$29.99 CAD for three months. The monthly plan will change to $11.99 CAD in Canada, and remain $9.99 USD in the U.S. If you are a current member, the new prices will take effect if your membership renews on or after this date.

Sony Increases Price for PlayStation Plus Membership on September 22nd
Starting on September 22, 2016, prices for PlayStation Plus memberships will change to $59.99 USD/ $69.99 CAD for twelve months and $24.99 USD/$29.99 CAD for three months. The monthly plan will change to $11.99 CAD in Canada, and remain $9.99 USD in the U.S. If you are a current member, the new prices will take effect if your membership renews on or after this date.
Surprised it took them this long to be honest. Hopefully we get some solid games for free with this increase.

This right here is why I get my MP games on PC where you don't have to pay a premium on top of a service provider just to play online. The free games have never amounted to anything for me, as I've maybe played 1-2 of them ever. Now to ask even more annually for services we shouldn't even have to pay for to begin with is just mindbogglingly stupid.

Where's the value Sony?

This right here is why I get my MP games on PC where you don't have to pay a premium on top of a service provider just to play online. The free games have never amounted to anything for me, as I've maybe played 1-2 of them ever. Now to ask even more annually for services we shouldn't even have to pay for to begin with is just mindbogglingly stupid.

Where's the value Sony?
It seems like to me they decided to just match Microsoft and figured they might as well earn more money at the same time. I don't like the price hike but as the market leader it doesn't make sense for them to discount their online service compared to their competition.

does anybody know if sony can ban my main psn account for continuing to add profiles with a one month ps plus trial attached to it to my ps4? I have a lot of one month trial codes that I wanna power through

Where's the value Sony?
It seems like to me they decided to just match Microsoft and figured they might as well earn more money at the same time. I don't like the price hike but as the market leader it doesn't make sense for them to discount their online service compared to their competition.

No doubt the main reason here was to match MS as they now have no reason not to. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to spin this as a positive by adding in a VR game every month (maybe taking out PS3 or Vita?) and talking about it during the upcoming event.

Lol, if they try to push VR as added value to PS+, I can't even. . .
I'm not saying it makes complete sense, after all the attach rate/install base will be small in comparison to PS4 itself. But with waning value (honestly they're running out of options on the older consoles, especially PS3) and their insistence on this as a platform instead of a peripheral could make them want to push it that way.

Playstation meeting going on right now. PS4-Slim has been confirmed, arriving September 15th.

The Neo is confirmed, and will be called PS4-Pro. They're bringing Mark Cerny on stage to explain the PS4-Pro.

So far it's all been predictable reveals. The Pro is focused on providing 4K, HDR, all the usual bullet points. Still haven't heard about a release date or price-point. The scalability sounds good, and referring to it as "forwards-compatible" is clever.

Hmmmm... HDR rendering will be made available to all PS4 systems via a firmware update. That's nice. No word on whether or not this will include 4K Blu-Ray support. (possibly not, thanks to the HDMI 2.0 requirement) No word on whether or not the PS4 Slim will have an HDMI 2.0 port either. I would assume the Pro would.

Oh snap, November 10th, $400 for the Pro. We've got a launch date and a price point. And it's a very competitive price point.

Also, with absolutely no news on the Vita, I'd say it's very likely that the Vita is being left to die. Very sad.

bread's done
Back