PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

"Sony and Viacom have a tenative deal in place where Sony will have access to all of Viacom’s hit television properties. This includes MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, and VH1."

"Sony’s currently unnamed service wouldn’t follow the Netflix strategy of offering television shows sometime after they air on cable, but instead would allow subscribers to watch live cable feeds. While that is groundbreaking enough to potentially disrupt the current cable service market, what’s even better news is Sony would bring this service to the PlayStation brand."

"Now that the Viacom news has slipped out, Sony has approached Time Warner and Disney about programming deals as well"

"So, rather than hooking your cable subscription into your Xbox One and having some kind of overlay, Sony’s service would allow you to subscribe to and access cable through your console, rather than being victim to expensive cable packages filled with channels you never watch."

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/164108-playstation-tv-sony-to-bring-internet-tv-service-to-the-ps4

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's not clear yet if this will really be any different than cable, other than being streamed. It's unclear if they will offer a la carte, or if that is even feasible economically. It might just be the same shit for the same price. But streamed. LOL.

I hope they have figured out how to offer a la carte at a reasonable price. We shall see.

It should be interesting to see how this works.  I wonder if it's actually an over-the-top service or if it's going to work with your current cable subscription like Xbox does?  The real problem with an a la carte TV option is that most of us use our cable provider for TV, phone, and Internet and paying for all of them isn't a whole lot more than paying for just Internet and phone for most of the companies. 

As I said in the other thread, didn't really need confirmation but thinking about it now I get why.  They're drumming up interest so people will watch the presser and get the hype machine rolling.

Two birds with one stone, heh.

As I said in the other thread, didn't really need confirmation but thinking about it now I get why. They're drumming up interest so people will watch the presser and get the hype machine rolling.

Two birds with one stone, heh.
Rumors have been flying that it will be in October. It's possible that they're trying to get ahead of the rumors. Once more leaks occur they'll lose their "surprise".

"Sony and Viacom have a tenative deal in place where Sony will have access to all of Viacom’s hit television properties. This includes MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, and VH1."

"Sony’s currently unnamed service wouldn’t follow the Netflix strategy of offering television shows sometime after they air on cable, but instead would allow subscribers to watch live cable feeds. While that is groundbreaking enough to potentially disrupt the current cable service market, what’s even better news is Sony would bring this service to the PlayStation brand."

"Now that the Viacom news has slipped out, Sony has approached Time Warner and Disney about programming deals as well"

"So, rather than hooking your cable subscription into your Xbox One and having some kind of overlay, Sony’s service would allow you to subscribe to and access cable through your console, rather than being victim to expensive cable packages filled with channels you never watch."

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/164108-playstation-tv-sony-to-bring-internet-tv-service-to-the-ps4
xbox 360 has had this kind of thing for two years now with verizon so it's nothing new. I just love that people bashed left and right about xbox having tv stuff and now you guys seem like hey seeing it's by the best company in the world sony that' its great and not bad at all.viocom has awful channels like mtv, cartoon channels. Plus sooner or later every isp will have internet caps on their internet and this feature will be useless unless sony gets deals with isp to allow the no cap internet to be used on this service. Even if with xbox one you still need a cable box for the tv stuff to work it's a great idea. Alot of people tv's only havel like one or 3 hdmi inputs i know for me i have to unplug a thing to use another and x1 will make that not needed.

xbox 360 has had this kind of thing for two years now with verizon so it's nothing new. I just love that people bashed left and right about xbox having tv stuff and now you guys seem like hey seeing it's by the best company in the world sony that' its great and not bad at all.viocom has awful channels like mtv, cartoon channels. Plus sooner or later every isp will have internet caps on their internet and this feature will be useless unless sony gets deals with isp to allow the no cap internet to be used on this service.
I have fios. This description isn't what xbox has. Xbox is essentially a cable box over wifi that doesn't carry all the channels of a real cable box. What I think I read here is a replacement for cable...

I have fios. This description isn't what xbox has. Xbox is essentially a cable box over wifi that doesn't carry all the channels of a real cable box. What I think I read here is a replacement for cable...
too bad viocom channels are like mtv,cmt,bet and other ones and good chance if they get a deal with twc it would be same price as normal cable packages.

too bad viocom channels are like mtv,cmt,bet and other ones and good chance if they get a deal with twc it would be same price as normal cable packages.
If it was a couple bucks then I'll probably do it for the kids channels but if its like 20 bucks then forget it.

I just love that people bashed left and right about xbox having tv stuff and now you guys seem like hey seeing it's by the best company in the world sony that' its great and not bad at all.viocom has awful channels like mtv, cartoon channels.
People bashed the xbox one's tv stuff because at the console reveal thats all they focused on, heck we saw Price is Right footage before we even saw actual xbox one games LOL. Sony didn't lead with TV BS, thats the difference. As for Viacom, they have some pretty popular channels IMO. Its still early but if everything shakes out right this can be very big for Sony.

Still have my fingers crossed for a late October laucnh. :razz:

People bashed the xbox one's tv stuff because at the console reveal thats all they focused on, heck we saw Price is Right footage before we even saw actual xbox one games LOL. Sony didn't lead with TV BS, thats the difference. As for Viacom, they have some pretty popular channels IMO. Its still early but if everything shakes out right this can be very big for Sony.

Still have my fingers crossed for a late October laucnh. :razz:
well i was happy ms got htat awful non gaming stuf out of the way before e3. most gamers don't care about mtv,cmt,bet,nick channels only one i could see worth it is comedy central. but it's about time sony does this and i agree it's a big thing for them. Lets face it at this point causal gamers is what is making the game industry grow like it is right now and those people want a thing that can do everything from tv to video games.

Insiders at Neogaf are saying late October is the release date for PS4. So that 21st/week of the 21st rumor is probably true.
I think its pretty much a given at this point, and a big LOL to all those who were saying there was no chance for a October laucnh. Sony is really firing on all cylinders, I really can't believe how smoothly everything has gone for them thus far regarding the PS4 (knock on wood haha). Can't wait to watch the gamescom stream! :bouncy:

I feel like Sony has to be aware of the rumor of October 21st at this point and will make a solid effort even if it wasn't the original plan to make that happen. They don't want to derail the hype train they've been riding or let go of the firm chokehold they have had on MS since E3.

The important factor for release date in the U.S. is that it arrive sometime before Black Friday. As to the exact date, I have no idea. New games usually launch on Tuesday, alongside new DVD and Blu-Ray releases. But that isn't a hard-and-fast requirement, and all bets are off when it comes to a major hardware launch. It could come out any day of the week. Mid-to-late October would give them a decent ramp up to Black Friday, but production restraints might prevent them from launching that early.

Mid October to mid November is the safe-bet window. (also kind of obvious) If they miss Black Friday, it will hurt sales to a certain degree.

On an unrelated note to the PS4, X1 advertising seems desperate. Just got this in my email (check spoiler).

308y2dl.jpg

Meh I think they are both going to be blitzing us pretty hard with media, maybe MS just got a head start?

Both of them have a right to advertise overwhelmingly, considering this is a war that will be decided pretty quickly out of the gates and there won't be another console war for at least 5-6 more years. That being said, I expect some kind of release date on or at least close to October for the PS4. They'll want to run with that and appease the fans, that's been their big thing from the start.

I'm pretty stoked for Gamescom. I already have my Playstation 4 and Killzone pre-ordered, so it will be nice to know when I should be expecting it. Hopefully they show some more games and give us a better idea about what we should be expecting out of it at launch during the first year.

I also hope we start seeing some third party accessories. I'm really hoping that someone makes a AUX/USB hub for the rear of the console. 

MS's launch library is very impressive. Lots of multiplatform titles but also some big exclusives (Dead Rising 3, KI, Crimson Dragon, Ryse). I'm not gonna be able to watch it but it's still pretty exciting to see how Sony responds. 

I say...

-Oct 25th

-Vita is officially $199

-Bundled PS4/Vita for $550.

-Uncharted 4 teaser for 2014

-Suikoden 6

-Vita gets more games

OH GOD, M$ is giving Sony the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. :rofl:

But seriously, lets get this started Sony. . .

WHOO, FINALLY!

Unfortunately, I'm going to leave halfway through. I have a meeting that I can't skip out on. I'm gonna miss out on seeing some of the news first-hand.

This conference is going to be big for Sony. Europe is their market to lose. It's also a growing force in the game development community. Re-establishing their hold on the European market would be huge for Sony.

Starting off the presentation with a Gran Turismo 6 video. That's a pretty safe, if predictable move.

That bit where he watched his friend play then hopped in was freaking awesome.  So psyched for the PS4 - I hope there's some rockin' Vita stuff as well.

Unfortunately, I'm going to leave halfway through. I have a meeting that I can't skip out on. I'm gonna miss out on seeing some of the news first-hand.

This conference is going to be big for Sony. Europe is their market to lose. It's also a growing force in the game development community. Re-establishing their hold on the European market would be huge for Sony.

Starting off the presentation with a Gran Turismo 6 video. That's a pretty safe, if predictable move.
Ya I have to leave at 11:25, so them starting 8 minutes late and then having about 5 more minutes of nothing really fuck ing sucks.

Oh well, I'll read about it later I guess.

I hope they announce some more launch titles because right now for exclusives it's pretty much Killzone, Drive Club and Knack. That's pretty weak. Anyone know how long it's running? My I have to leave in about 90 minutes for a doctor's appt so I may have to miss the last bit if it's longer than that.

bread's done
Back