PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Towerfall Ascension and Strider are the Playstation Plus games for July. This is also the last week to pick up the June PS+ games.

(If you don't have it yet, Strider is awesome!)
Perfect timing. I'm looking forward to Strider.

I finally bit. After paying down my wife's school debt, I had the cash flow to invest in a next gen and picked the PS4. Nice way to celebrate after paying off a huge loan: breaking in my PS4 with inFamous now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'll check that out. I actually was thinking about the purple N64 controller (I still have my N64, kilik) when I said that. I never owned that one, but I did have the Extreme Green translucent controller from Toys R Us.

I'm not one of the naysayers for PS+ as I do think it's an amazing service, but I am a bit disappointed that they're no longer offering new games. I knew this would happen eventually but I thought it'd be closer to the year mark for PS4. I already own both of those games so now between the back catalog offerings and not using my PS3 all that much anymore it becomes less and less a service that's for me...

If they ever raise the price I'll probably bail, I never play online anyway.

I'm not one of the naysayers for PS+ as I do think it's an amazing service, but I am a bit disappointed that they're no longer offering new games. I knew this would happen eventually but I thought it'd be closer to the year mark for PS4. I already own both of those games so now between the back catalog offerings and not using my PS3 all that much anymore it becomes less and less a service that's for me...

If they ever raise the price I'll probably bail, I never play online anyway.
They've never offered "new" games. Usually year old AAA games. They now are actually giving new release downloadable titles which will probably continue until there gets to be a bigger library of AAA games at which point I can see them giving 1 older AAA game and 1 new release downloadable title each month. Sad that people don't see value in this. I was going to buy Strider, so getting it free is a bonus. Resogun has been a blast. Contrast was okay, worth the playthrough. Would have never played Mercenary Kings and loved it. And we're barely halfway through the year of a sub I got for $30 on black Friday. And even if I paid full price for the sub I would still think it's an incredible value.

By new I think he meant stuff like Resogun, Stick it to the Man etc. stuff that made its PSN debut (if not overall debut) as a PS+ offering.

I've been wanting to play Strider so I'm happy it get that.

A lot of the ps+ games that we received free on PS4, seem like they were released in the beginning of the month just to be free with plus. Maybe there aren't any new games releasing in July? That would explain why we are receiving older titles. Is there a release calendar anywhere that has PSN games on it? The games that have been releasing on PS4(pixeljunk Shooter, Don't Starve, OctoDad), I never knew the release date until the Blog told me they were releasing that week.

Ended up preorder Sniper Elite 3, after GCU and a $15 Cert, got it for $25. Seems like it will be more open and non linear, more about choice and how you want to do each mission.

congrats Donut hope you enjoy it selling crap to pay off a white bundle at GS.
Thanks bud.

I was considering a white bundle since I was going to get Destiny anyway but my TV setup is too dark for it so I decided to just make the jump now with the financial freedom to join up. If you haven't kept up with the cowboom thread, every now and then, PS4's are getting restocked. You can get it for $250 + tax and people are trading it towards a white bundle (or if the store is too strict, towards a new system to return later for a gift card).

By new I think he meant stuff like Resogun, Stick it to the Man etc. stuff that made its PSN debut (if not overall debut) as a PS+ offering.

I've been wanting to play Strider so I'm happy it get that.
Correct.

Don't get me wrong, Towerfall and Strider are both great - and I'm glad I bought them. But with the smaller debuts on PS4 automatically joining PS+, it became the main draw for me by default. Like I said, I rarely use my PS3 these days and even then I still own 75% of the games they offer. If the trend of offering existing PS4 games continue it becomes a problem for me as I love indies and smaller titles so more often then not I'm going to buy them within 1-2 weeks of release(especially if there is a sale, like there was for Towerfall and Strike Suit Zero).

But then again, as someone who is a big fan of Sony and buys a lot of games(and hates multiplayer!) - I'm not the target audience for + to begin with. I'd never actually let it lapse though, even if I only get 5 games a year and take advantage of the discounts it more than pays for itself. It's just a little disappointing to see PS+ go in this direction.

We already went from 7 games a month to 6, and gotten rid of the IGC. Now with new titles not debuting on Plus for PS4, it only makes me wonder what's next.

Correct.

We already went from 7 games a month to 6, and gotten rid of the IGC. Now with new titles not debuting on Plus for PS4, it only makes me wonder what's next.
I personally don't think this is the case. Maybe July is just a light month and there aren't any smaller Indie games being released? I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Man, PS+ sucks now. I wish they'd go back to offering PS1 titles and minis instead of the crap we're getting now.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Ronnie Sullivan's Snooker. On my PSP. MINIS!

Man, PS+ sucks now. I wish they'd go back to offering PS1 titles and minis instead of the crap we're getting now.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Ronnie Sullivan's Snooker. On my PSP. MINIS!
Screw that, I want some more avatars and themes thank you very much.

With the jump to next gen, i wonder why sony never updated avatars. Would have liked a revamp to them.
It did seem pretty lazy to only include the same ones that came with the 8 year old PS3. However it does seem they want to focus more on using your Facebook profile pic than avatars, so maybe they felt an update wasn't needed.

Pumped about strider, glad I never bought it.

I think the first retail game on plus will happen at some point in the fall. Prolly in Nov or Dec, and maybe both months. 

Would be a good promotion to get people to buy the Quad, with plus, and you get a retail game from plus (knack for nov and shadowfall in dec?) Good way to jump in to the system as they get two retail games for the first two months of their ps+ sub. 

I think the problem for Sony is that once you start offering retail games, people will expect/demand a retail game every month and I dont think there are enough titles out yet for that to happen, so how knows when we see first retail plus title.

989, I totally forgot about them! Some of my earliest PS memories involved Coolboarders 3, Jet Moto 3(though 2 was my favorite) and 3Xtreme... I also had most of those MLB titles.

Y'know, I'd really like to see Jet Moto make a comeback.
Syphon Filter! Loved those games.

I want custom dashboards again on these new systems :/
Xbox One at least lets you customize the color scheme like with Windows on PC/phones, but nothing on PS4 ,or Wii U.

I always thought it was cool how some Blu-rays, when inserted into your PS3, would give you a theme for the system. My background has been Black Dynamite for about 4 years now.

For the Gold Wireless Headsets, how's their bass? That's my main issue. I'd rather not just get a one-dimensional headset (in this case, gaming) in case I use them to listen to music.

For the Gold Wireless Headsets, how's their bass? That's my main issue. I'd rather not just get a one-dimensional headset (in this case, gaming) in case I use them to listen to music.
They aren't anything mind blowing, but the bass is decent(only if you have it in bass boost mode).

Is bass boost mode available outside the PS4 interface?
I believe it is only available for PS3 and PS4. You have to download the app and set it up through the app. If heavy bass is your thing then the Gold Headset is not the right one for you. That said, if you can live without it the Gold Headset is an excellent package for its price.

The key is the price... most of the time you get what you pay for... however I think the Gold's are a great value for the price compared to other headsets. i love that they are just black with a hint of blue, won't be embarrassed wearing them in public because they have a weird gaming design. Not to mention the hidden mic is so well hidden

I believe it is only available for PS3 and PS4. You have to download the app and set it up through the app. If heavy bass is your thing then the Gold Headset is not the right one for you. That said, if you can live without it the Gold Headset is an excellent package for its price.
Actually, Bass Boost is built in and automatically gets turned on when you switch it all the way over to 2(OFF-1-2). The app on PS4 just allows you to switch the Bass mode out with the custom sets that developers create ala Second Son.

But yeah, you're not going to find a better set than the Golds until you get closer to a $200 price point.

Skull candy crusher, those have decent bass. I tried them at BB and I was surprised. It felt like each speaker had a Sub built in.

I wish they would bring out the update that allows the ps4 to play mp3s. I would love to use custom music in The Show. But I'm thinking it won't happen until next year.

I wish they would bring out the update that allows the ps4 to play mp3s. I would love to use custom music in The Show. But I'm thinking it won't happen until next year.
Yeah I really want this too, it just kills created wrestlers in wrestling games. It is just such a stupid thing for neither Microsoft nor Sony to have thought to keep this in from the previous gen. If they didn't do it just because they wanted to push their music streaming crap...... I mean really, does ANYONE actually use those services anyways?

Doki Doki Universe is also free with PS+. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a look. I bought it earlier this year and have gotten hours of pointless enjoyment out of it!

lol You're a robot that explores other worlds. You unlock other worlds by doing favors for people/things. Sometimes you have to visit other worlds to obtain things to finish your missions

I can confirm the Sony PS4/PS3 Gold Wireless Stereo Headset is awesome.

I was finally able to pick one up for $54.99 at Newegg. Works great on the PS4/PS3/PC. There is sidetone available if people did have concerns over that, for me a headset w/ a mic has to have that. The Bass Boost on setting 2 is very good, even for the PC with the wireless USB adapter. I've been limited in testing the mic but so far so good. My only negative on the headset so far is the ear cups don't breath as well as I'd like, but that's really minor. Seriously for the price you can't go wrong.

From an insider:

"Sony is working full on getting Shovel Knight to PS4/PSVita."

If it does happen, hopefully a cross-buy too!
Grabbed it on 3DS and really like what I've played (through 5 of the 8 main stages/bosses).

I'd have waited for Vita if I thought it was coming anytime soon though as I prefer that d-pad and screen. But it is kind of nice to have a reason to use the 3DS I guess since I hadn't touched it since January when I finished Pokemon Y.

Anyone play Valiant Hearts yet? I'm a huge history buff so I'll get it eventually but I was just wondering if anyone had some thoughts on it.

What's messed up is that the Xbox 360 had that feature near the beginning of it's life. Why is Sony taking so long implementing that?

To be fair you could always sync your music over to Xbox Music from your computer then play it on the Xbox One. A lot more work than just implementing basic MP3 support but you still get the same results.

Anybody else have a problem with Twitch on the PS4?  I'm logged in, can stream my live gameplay.. but the chat doesn't work.  Says I can't connect either on the Live from playstation where I'm watching people stream or my own personal stream.  I can chat on Twitch app and their website and Ustream works fine.

Anyone play Valiant Hearts yet? I'm a huge history buff so I'll get it eventually but I was just wondering if anyone had some thoughts on it.
I played it and really enjoyed it. However, it is $15 on PSN and only about 8-9 hours or so of gameplay. The trophies are overall pretty easy and the only "hard" trophy is getting all 119 historical items throughout the entire but you always have chapter select.

Anyone else think it would be cool if the PS4 tracked how long you played each title for? That way people wouldn't say "I put 500 hours into X" and would have proof that they played Killzone for 130 hours or whatever

bread's done
Back