Playstation 4 Pre-Order Amazon.com

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Why? Being on that GS list won't assure the people on the list get a reserve first, right? For the Wii and PS3 (maybe 360 too, that was before my time on CAG) there was a bunch of chatter on these boards about when GS stores would start reserves a few days in advance. I imagine the same thing will happen this time, so it's just a matter of being at the store early enough on the day pre-orders start, which we'll probably all know at least a couple of days in advance. Just save up a vacation day/hope there's no big projects at work/hope there's nothing going on at school and just block that day out for a PS4 reserve.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'll keep this in mind. I didn't get a PS3 or 360 on launch day and all I remember hearing on the news was these system were going on eBay for $1000+ and they're hard to get. The only home console I've pursued on launch day was the Wii U and had good luck with that. I've gotten the PSP, 3DS and my PS Vita on launch days so hopfully I'll have the same luck with the PS4.
Persistence I guess :)

Honestly as long as people aren't strapped in to a job where they absolutely can't miss a single day of work (not unlikely, I know, especially if pre-orders don't happen until September or so when things start heating up most places) or they have a final or something I doubt it will be that hard for CAGs who want a PS4 or an Xbox 8 to pre-order one as long as they all keep on top of the information and monitor the forums/call GS when rumors start to heat up on a semi-regular basis.

The biggest hurdles I see, aside from unpredictable things, are that people wouldn't have the vacation time, they live in a large city (in these areas it may be more difficult/require more waiting than in the suburbs given the sheer number of people), and/or they don't want to get up early enough.

I wanted the MGS PS4 when it came out, and I knew my Walmarts and GS's were only going to be getting one or two a piece. That wasn't even a launch system, but I got to the store around 6 in the morning and there was already another guy waiting there. Luckily they had two. I got to GS the day they started taking original Wii pre-orders (which I found out about through CAG and by calling GS stores) around 6:30 in the morning as well and ended up being the fifth person in line. I think they ended up taking about 10-12 preorders. Just monitor it and get there early the day of and you'll be fine.

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually they didn't. Sony simply said the PS4 will play used games. They said nothing about restricting publishers from implementing activation schemes that lock a game to a particular console or user or account or that require additional payments for multiplayer passes. In fact, they didn't even clearly state that they (Sony) won't implement some similar scheme. I personally believe they will allow used games at least initially just like Microsoft will, but given how PC-like both the Durango and PS4 will be, locked games are probably just a few short years away on both platforms.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this except the part about MS allowing used games. The last rumors I've heard are that MS will block used games. Obviously though that may not be true and I hope it isn't.

Edit: oops missed the part about what you personally believe. Nevermind. I agree with all of it.

If Sony doesn't block used games neither will MS, and vice versa. It's going to be a thing that both companies do at the same time. Microsoft wouldn't risk the short term value that Sony would gain (also no b&M stores would carry the Xbox 8) and I don't think Sony would be short sighted enough to let MS build up the Xbox 8 as the definitive place to buy digital games because it would set them back too far next generation on brand recognition alone.

Next gen though neither will play used games, I imagine.

Got an e-mail from Zavvi last night announcing their PS4 online pre-orders going live... you know, just in case any of you want a UK PS4 and have the gigantic balls it would take to order something like that from Zavvi, given the fact that it would probably be PS4 scrap by the time it actually arrived.

[quote name='blindinglights']Only 1 out of 10 people buying a PS4, actually want a PS4!

If you're going to make up statistics on the spot, you could at least try to make them somewhat reasonable.[/QUOTE]

I am going to say 8 out of 10 want to cash in on ebay. When the PS3 came out, I got one and my wife did too. We sold one on ebay for $1,100 so I know this time around there will be more interest from random people to cash in. Have you been to Best Buy during random deals? There are hoarders everywhere so it wouldn't shock me to see a big ratio of ebay sellers vs those actually want one.

If 8 years ago with a $600 console there were thousands of ebay resellers, imagine now in 2013. It will be crazy.

[quote name='oasisboy']I am going to say 8 out of 10 want to cash in on ebay. When the PS3 came out, I got one and my wife did too. We sold one on ebay for $1,100 so I know this time around there will be more interest from random people to cash in. Have you been to Best Buy during random deals? There are hoarders everywhere so it wouldn't shock me to see a big ratio of ebay sellers vs those actually want one.

If 8 years ago with a $600 console there were thousands of ebay resellers, imagine now in 2013. It will be crazy.[/QUOTE]

We're in a different time and place now than we were in 2006. I don't expect frothing demand or hardware shortages for either the PS4 or 720. These will be no more harder to find than the Wii U was and has been, which is to say not hard to find at all.

[quote name='Kitoro']We're in a different time and place now than we were in 2006. I don't expect frothing demand or hardware shortages for either the PS4 or 720. These will be no more harder to find than the Wii U was and has been, which is to say not hard to find at all.[/QUOTE]

I agree, plus it was one of the biggest mistakes Sony made for the PS3 launch. Yes, the price was high at $599, but there were people willing to buy it at that price. They couldn't make enough and people just moved on to the Wii and the 360. I expect Sony to go all out on this, they can't screw up the PS4 or its going to be the last PS console ever with the way they headed financially.

[quote name='oasisboy']I am going to say 8 out of 10 want to cash in on ebay. When the PS3 came out, I got one and my wife did too. We sold one on ebay for $1,100 so I know this time around there will be more interest from random people to cash in. Have you been to Best Buy during random deals? There are hoarders everywhere so it wouldn't shock me to see a big ratio of ebay sellers vs those actually want one.

If 8 years ago with a $600 console there were thousands of ebay resellers, imagine now in 2013. It will be crazy.[/QUOTE]

You must have sold it on launch day to get $1,100 or you were lucky. I post a lot at another forum. I remember a lot of people there bought a PS3 at launch to resell. I only remember one who got $1,000. His eBay auction ended the night before the console's release. Everyone else set a minimum bid of like $800 to $1,000 and none of them sold. Most of them ended up returning their consoles.

I remember one guy paid 2 people to wait in line with him to buy 3 consoles. He ended up returning 2 of them and kept 1 for himself.

Was it on the CAGcast this week where they were talking about poor Wii U sales. That a big reason was from people returning consoles they bought with hopes of reselling.

I guess all I'm saying is making big money selling the PS4 is in no way gauranteed. I bought my PS3 like 2-3 weeks after launch. They were easily found by then.

The re-sale market will be an either/or thing. Either the PS4 is going to be sold out everywhere or the Xbox 8 will be impossible to find. Comparing this to the PS3 really isn't the same at all because as of now Sony has all the buzz (while with the PS3 the Wii had significantly more buzz). So I think if we are to compare it to the PS3 it's not that Sony=Sony so this will be easy to find 2-3 weeks after launch or Sony=Nintendo so like the WiiU this will be all over the place (the writing was on the wall since the WiiU was announced, no one was excited for that especially after so many were burned by the Wii). If the comparison is to be made it's that the PS3 and the Wii launched around the same time. One was impossible to find and the other wasn't. The PS4 and the Xbox 8 are (probably) launching around the same time, so expect a similar situation here. Though, as of now, it's impossible to tell which one everyone will want and which one will catch the shaft.

:applause: Well said, well said![quote name='TheCollegeGamer']The re-sale market will be an either/or thing. Either the PS4 is going to be sold out everywhere or the Xbox 8 will be impossible to find. Comparing this to the PS3 really isn't the same at all because as of now Sony has all the buzz (while with the PS3 the Wii had significantly more buzz). So I think if we are to compare it to the PS3 it's not that Sony=Sony so this will be easy to find 2-3 weeks after launch or Sony=Nintendo so like the WiiU this will be all over the place (the writing was on the wall since the WiiU was announced, no one was excited for that especially after so many were burned by the Wii). If the comparison is to be made it's that the PS3 and the Wii launched around the same time. One was impossible to find and the other wasn't. The PS4 and the Xbox 8 are (probably) launching around the same time, so expect a similar situation here. Though, as of now, it's impossible to tell which one everyone will want and which one will catch the shaft.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']If Sony doesn't block used games neither will MS, and vice versa. It's going to be a thing that both companies do at the same time. Microsoft wouldn't risk the short term value that Sony would gain (also no b&M stores would carry the Xbox 8) and I don't think Sony would be short sighted enough to let MS build up the Xbox 8 as the definitive place to buy digital games because it would set them back too far next generation on brand recognition alone.

Next gen though neither will play used games, I imagine.[/QUOTE]

Their are plenty of used B&M stores that could care less about used games that would still stock a console, even if it didn't play used games like Walmart, Target and Toys R Us. Yes I know some of those stores have used games but 20 copies of Burger King's "Sneak King" doesn't count as a used game library.

The only stores that really push used games are Gamestop and Best Buy. People on this website talk about used games like that is the majority of the gaming market.

Wait remind me again...HOW IS THIS A HOT DEAL??

Pre-order for vaporware that doesnt even have an MSRP is getting its own dedicated thread in a Hot deals forum on CAG. What a joke.

[quote name='GBAstar']Their are plenty of used B&M stores that could care less about used games that would still stock a console, even if it didn't play used games like Walmart, Target and Toys R Us. Yes I know some of those stores have used games but 20 copies of Burger King's "Sneak King" doesn't count as a used game library.

The only stores that really push used games are Gamestop and Best Buy. People on this website talk about used games like that is the majority of the gaming market.[/QUOTE]

Well, GS is still the sales leader, right? I could see this potentially holding water with Wal-Mart and Target who are in decent shape, have a large presence across the US, and would still sell them, but I'm not sure that would be nearly enough for MS is Gamestop is only selling the PS4.

[quote name='rieper']Wait remind me again...HOW IS THIS A HOT DEAL??

Pre-order for vaporware that doesnt even have an MSRP is getting its own dedicated thread in a Hot deals forum on CAG. What a joke.[/QUOTE]

You do understand threads like this are good for the site right?

This site is able to function becase of click thru referral money. A thread like this will bring in money for Cheapy and CAG once preorder links go live.

Find someplace else to bitch and complain; if you don't know why this thread is where it is then you have bigger issues to worry about.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Well, GS is still the sales leader, right? I could see this potentially holding water with Wal-Mart and Target who are in decent shape, have a large presence across the US, and would still sell them, but I'm not sure that would be nearly enough for MS is Gamestop is only selling the PS4.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft is a bigger rip off with proprietary accessories and XBL and point cards then Sony; if there is money to be made for Gamestop and/or any other retailer that would feel the pain of not being able to sell used games then they will still carry it

I personally still think GS would still carry the device even if it didn't play used games.

Pre-order for vaporware that doesnt even have an MSRP is getting its own dedicated thread in a Hot deals forum on CAG. What a joke.[/QUOTE]

Gotta love fucking morons who don't know what vaporware means.

kZyHF.gif

[quote name='eXiON']Hmm.. decisions decisions. Funny enough I was super excited when the PS3 was announced, now 7 years later I can't really justify a new console. I have a bigass backlog on my PS3 and figure by the time I beat all of them the PS4 might already be cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Buying things because they're a good price and then not having enough hours in the day, haha. or you don't want to feel like you're only playing video games when we have plenty of things to occupy ourselves.

on another note, did anyone realize how amazon messed up the description in the ps4 by repeating themselves?

I probably won't get this on launch no matter what the price is but I'll keep my eye on it you never know. Last system I bought on launch was dreamcast so yeah I'm a wait and see price drop kind of guy when it comes to systems in most cases.

[quote name='Duke Silver']When has anyone not regretted buying a console on launch? I feel like we should have learned by now...[/QUOTE]

Even though my original PS2 and 360 barely lasted 2 years each, I didn't regret it because both had a lot of great exclusives early in the generation.

Then again, I play and enjoy pretty much every genre, so it's easier to please me (I love my launch Vita, for instance, despite the library mostly being ports and smaller downloadable titles).

So, if we got a preorder in, what are the chances that it will be good? Also, what happens if there are two skus? Do they give you the higher sku?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hoffer']1. You must have sold it on launch day to get $1,100 or you were lucky. I post a lot at another forum. I remember a lot of people there bought a PS3 at launch to resell. I only remember one who got $1,000. His eBay auction ended the night before the console's release. Everyone else set a minimum bid of like $800 to $1,000 and none of them sold. Most of them ended up returning their consoles.

2. Was it on the CAGcast this week where they were talking about poor Wii U sales. That a big reason was from people returning consoles they bought with hopes of reselling.

3. I guess all I'm saying is making big money selling the PS4 is in no way gauranteed. [/QUOTE]

1. I sold my PS3 48 hours after launch day. I remember seeing some PS3s going for over $1,500 on day 1 and then gradually went down during the next 24 hours to where auctions like mine fetched $1,100 to $1,300. A day or two later they were going for around $800 - $1,000 (with a few exceptions getting more). I stupidly waited to list my 2nd PS3 since I thought the demand was going to increase as the media went crazy with news about shortages. At the end, I decided to keep the 2nd PS3 for myself.

2. You can't compare the WiiU to a PS4 or XBOX 8. WiiU's customer base are casual fans while PS4 and XBOX 8 are hardcore gamers. They will pay for a console they desperately want and cannot find at their local store.

3. The PS4 will make money for those who can sell one on day 1 and probably day 2, after that, profit will be almost nothing. My estimate is easily over $1k during the first 24 hours.

[quote name='damage.undone']That sucks for them, I sold mine a week after launch for $1280, on ebay, bought a plasma TV with that.[/QUOTE]

I think his memory is not correct with his numbers. As I said, the PS3s were profitable and the PS4 will too.

[quote name='Hoffer']You must have sold it on launch day to get $1,100 or you were lucky. I post a lot at another forum. I remember a lot of people there bought a PS3 at launch to resell. I only remember one who got $1,000. His eBay auction ended the night before the console's release. Everyone else set a minimum bid of like $800 to $1,000 and none of them sold. Most of them ended up returning their consoles.

I remember one guy paid 2 people to wait in line with him to buy 3 consoles. He ended up returning 2 of them and kept 1 for himself.

Was it on the CAGcast this week where they were talking about poor Wii U sales. That a big reason was from people returning consoles they bought with hopes of reselling.

I guess all I'm saying is making big money selling the PS4 is in no way gauranteed. I bought my PS3 like 2-3 weeks after launch. They were easily found by then.[/QUOTE]

That sucks for them, I sold mine a week after launch for $1280, on ebay, bought a plasma TV with that.

[quote name='KratosKilla']So, if we got a preorder in, what are the chances that it will be good? Also, what happens if there are two skus? Do they give you the higher sku?[/QUOTE]

I work for Amazon and can tell you that... come on man. Nobody knows, just wait and see.

[quote name='Kitoro']What's with this "Xbox 8" talk? What significance does that name have?[/QUOTE]

I dont know but I'd guess it's because of Windows 8. Next Xbox w/ Windows integration = Xbox 8?

Personally I like Xbox 540. Made me laugh when I first saw it.

[quote name='Kitoro']What's with this "Xbox 8" talk? What significance does that name have?[/QUOTE]
Windows 8, Windows Phone 8... Xbox 8? :mrgreen:

It means we're guaranteed a shitty user interface.

I'm going to pre-order a console that I have no idea what it looks like, plays like, the price, the launch games...yeah right. Funny as hell.

I'm going to have to guess that an "8" represents two full circles, therefore 720 degrees...

[quote name='screwkick']I'm going to pre-order a console that I have no idea what it looks like, plays like, the price, the launch games...yeah right. Funny as hell.[/QUOTE]

Some of that stuff you can find out already, and price isn't as important as the pre-order itself in this case since through Amazon you can cancel at any time up until right before it ships.

[quote name='screwkick']I'm going to pre-order a console that I have no idea what it looks like, plays like, the price, the launch games...yeah right. Funny as hell.[/QUOTE]

Good point. My first concern when buying a video game console is what it looks like.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Good point. My first concern when buying a video game console is what it looks like.[/QUOTE]

My first concern is not having to work the day GS opens in store preorders.

[quote name='Drclaw411']My first concern is not having to work the day GS opens in store preorders.[/QUOTE]

True story: I got to GameStop around 7:30am the day they started taking preorders for the PS3 and there was a guy in front of me. By the time they opened at 10 there were like 7 guys behind us. My wife hit another location around 9:30am and she was 3rd in line. I don't think I will be able to leave work or be late this time around so I am praying on amazon.

[quote name='htz']Windows 8, Windows Phone 8... Xbox 8? :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

I think you might be onto something actually. Microsoft is trying to make their ecosystem a one stop shop for all technology. Windows 8, Windows Phones, and Xbox 360 all use the same tile like interface with some semblance of integration. I think Microsoft's end goal is to have all of their Windows 8 devices sync and connect seamlessly so that data can be unified and accessed from anywhere. Apple has been setting up the same ecosystem for a few years now as well, but we still haven't seen a true synchronization across an entire platform of products or ecosystems.

So, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Microsoft tag the new Xbox as the "Xbox 8," or at least something similar so that people know exactly what they're buying into.

Just as an FYI...I'm not a fanboy of any of these companies or their products. I'm typing this on a Windows 8 laptop while texting with my iPhone :)

[quote name='vwbeetlvr']I'm going to have to guess that an "8" represents two full circles, therefore 720 degrees...[/QUOTE]

The "8" symbol is for the word "infinity." I guess they are naming the console Xbox Infinity, although it works with Windows 8 as well.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Makes me wonder if this will sell out or not considering the Wii U did not.[/QUOTE]

As long as Sony keeps shooting themselves in the foot, it definitely won't.

[quote name='Duke Silver']When has anyone not regretted buying a console on launch? I feel like we should have learned by now...[/QUOTE]

i never regreted launch console except the WiiU. so, I'll probably get this at launch...just hoping it's totally free region locked...if not, going to have to get two versions.

I buy every console on launch day, only one I really regretted was the Wii. And I know I'll be buying the PS4 and Nextbox on day 1 too

I've purchased nearly every console at launch, and the only systems that I regretted are the ones that had large price drops within 6 months, like the PS1 and Xbox dropping $100 or the 3DS dropping $80.

[quote name='etcrane']Pre-ordered and paid in full, had to call in to Amazon and request to pay the full thousand now, but they gave me free two day shipping.[/QUOTE]

Why in the HELL would you call in to do a special request to pay $1,000 for a console coming out in 8 months and won't cost $1,000?!?!? Just for 2 day shipping? Lol. Prime is a lot cheaper then that.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Could have sworn this topic had 8 pages last time I was here[/QUOTE]

Phantom moderation on all threads tonight like WOAH

[quote name='Bigmeat23']Why in the HELL would you call in to do a special request to pay $1,000 for a console coming out in 8 months and won't cost $1,000?!?!? Just for 2 day shipping? Lol. Prime is a lot cheaper then that.[/QUOTE]

C'mon dude...really? Sometimes sarcasm on the internet can be subtle, but that was a pretty obvious joke.

[quote name='GBAstar']Phantom moderation on all threads tonight like WOAH[/QUOTE]

Yeah...for some reason my post about hopin I don't have to work the day GS opens preorders was deleted.

I just hope they actually produce a decent amount of these. Theres no reason why consoles should actually be rare on launch day.

I'm hoping to pre-order either way, but I'd prefer if I didn't only have a 1 day window to do so.

bread's done
Back