PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

I pre-ordered from Amazon back in Feb. when it had a placeholder price of $1,000 and it changed to the launch edition automatically.

Dropped by GS today to pre-order the stand alone console instead of one of their online bundles. I'm ready, also FF Versus might be the first FF game I'll be buying since 7. :bouncy: 

I pre-ordered from Amazon back in Feb. when it had a placeholder price of $1,000 and it changed to the launch edition automatically.
When is this placeholder price going to change? It's weird now with the skus changing. Will it recognize the $399 as the Launch Edition price to correct itself with? Is it going to take until two days before launch for the price to correct itself? Any help?

I have no idea how to check if i have a launch edition or not with Amazon. I ordered it last night, and then tonight I go and look and it just says "Playstation 4," not "standard" or "launch."

What do I do>

I have no idea how to check if i have a launch edition or not with Amazon. I ordered it last night, and then tonight I go and look and it just says "Playstation 4," not "standard" or "launch."

What do I do>
The order itself does not indicate (at least not on mine).

First make sure you are logged in to Amazon.

Then go to the page for Playstation 4 preorders. There are two options: "Standard Edition" and "Launch Edition". Probably the "Standard Edition" is selected by default. Switch to the launch one and you should see a yellow bar appear above the page saying:

Instant Order Update for Xxxx Xxxxxx. You purchased this item on June 10, 2013. View this order.
To be 100% sure, switch back to the "standard" and the bar indicating you ordered it should disappear. Or, if it is the other way around you are hosed ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
When is this placeholder price going to change? It's weird now with the skus changing. Will it recognize the $399 as the Launch Edition price to correct itself with? Is it going to take until two days before launch for the price to correct itself? Any help?
The placeholder just changed today, and it dropped everyone's order down to the $399 price, launch and standard editions. Launch is no longer available though.

EDIT: Also, anyone have an estimate of how long after release I'll have to wait if I get a standard edition? By the time I made my decision to pre-order it they had already run out of launch editions.

EDIT: Also, anyone have an estimate of how long after release I'll have to wait if I get a standard edition? By the time I made my decision to pre-order it they had already run out of launch editions.
I don't think there's any way even Sony would be able to know that. The consoles are most likely being manufactured now and they probably don't have a handle on just how many they will have at launch let alone retailer allotments and such. But hopefully most retailers are doing a first come/first served thing with the preorders so even though you missed the "launch" systems you were pretty close so you would probably at least get one from a second wave shipments. Also, hopefully the number of "launch" systems were estimated pretty conservatively so that a lot of early non-launch people may very well get them at launch anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.

The interesting thing is that indications from Gamestop, at least, are that they were taking many more preorders per store for PS4 than for Xbox One. That could just be due to a very limited release for the "Day One" console (and more regular Xbox Ones will probably be out the same day). Or it could mean MS is having or expecting to have more trouble getting the same numbers out as Sony - possibly due to Kinect or whatever. This is total speculation on my part but it does seem that GS was allotted 2-3 times as many PS4 as Xbox One for their initial preorders.

I don't think there's any way even Sony would be able to know that. The consoles are most likely being manufactured now and they probably don't have a handle on just how many they will have at launch let alone retailer allotments and such. But hopefully most retailers are doing a first come/first served thing with the preorders so even though you missed the "launch" systems you were pretty close so you would probably at least get one from a second wave shipments. Also, hopefully the number of "launch" systems were estimated pretty conservatively so that a lot of early non-launch people may very well get them at launch anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.

The interesting thing is that indications from Gamestop, at least, are that they were taking many more preorders per store for PS4 than for Xbox One. That could just be due to a very limited release for the "Day One" console (and more regular Xbox Ones will probably be out the same day). Or it could mean MS is having or expecting to have more trouble getting the same numbers out as Sony - possibly due to Kinect or whatever. This is total speculation on my part but it does seem that GS was allotted 2-3 times as many PS4 as Xbox One for their initial preorders.
Yeah, I didn't really expect there to be anything concrete, but It'd suck if I was just a little too late an dead to wait like a month if the number of orders was to high.

Yeah, I didn't really expect there to be anything concrete, but It'd suck if I was just a little too late an dead to wait like a month if the number of orders was to high.
Like I said it is really hard to say at this point. However, it seems the console makers and retailers have gotten a little smarter about this sort of thing since the original Xbox 360 launch and they tend not to take too many preorders. As I remember the 360 fell way short of fulfilling all those "day one" preorders and things were pretty hectic after that. But just a year later with the PS3 and Wii Gamestop, at least, was able to provide all preorders with consoles and still have more left to sell in store on launch day. So chances are you will really get one at launch or pretty close to it if you preordered mere hours after the launch ones sold out.

to those that pre-ordered from amazon did you buy the insurance if so is it any good?
if you do buy insurance, it is still probably best to use squaretrade.com with a 20-30% off coupon.

For the PS4 the 3 year insurance plan comes to around 40 dollars (with 30%off coupon) But you have 30 days after your item ships to purchase it.

For others, some credit cards offer 1 free extra year of insurance coverage, so check to see if your credit card offers this.

My cc offers the extra 1 year for free, so I wont be buying any insurance since i'm covered for 2 years already.

I preordered the ps4 on amazon the minute after the e3 conference ended.

Ive just checked my order and its not a launch edition?? Ughh
wow I ordered mine 4-5hours after the conference ended and I got the launch edition.

Awesome job on the OP, iRandom. Thanks!
Dropped by GS today to pre-order the stand alone console instead of one of their online bundles. I'm ready, also FF Versus might be the first FF game I'll be buying since 7. :bouncy:
Yes thanks for all the info here and contributors to this thread. I went with my original plan of paying in full with trade credit at game Stop rather than Amazon, thus paying no tax in my state. That way don't have to worry about shipping delay(unlikely though it is) and I will have it day one. Preorders were still open at my store as of 5PM yesterday. Like Midget said, I just got the base model since the games I hold out hope for some Christmas season deal somewhere. No game deals, no worries still have lots more Game Stop credit if I have to pay full price :whistle2:( Only worry is camera/controller shortages.

Just a reminder...

5% cashback at Amazon with a Chase Freedom card in the 4th quarter (October through December) of 2013.

Get $25 off and get your PlayStation 4 for $379 with no tax for most.

I preordered mine yesterday morning.   I just checked Amazon, and it is the launch edition.  

I don't have prime, but the $8 shipping for release date delivery is not too bad.

Pre-ordering last night will hopefully get me into the 2nd wave at worst from Amazon. If not, guess I'll be waiting all day somewhere that has an allotment for walk-up customers like I did for 360. :D

I preordered mine yesterday morning. I just checked Amazon, and it is the launch edition.

I don't have prime, but the $8 shipping for release date delivery is not too bad.
How can you tell?

I pre-ordered the thing within minutes of it being put up on the website. There was no differentiation between a "launch" and "standard" like I see there is now.

I better not get screwed over on this...

May just cancel the Amazon preorder and pick up locally at Best Buy.  Totally forget Amazon collects sales tax in Texas.

Gotta love how I pre-ordered right after the press conference Monday and now I might not even get it on time because I didn't wait for Amazon to release the 'Launch Edition'? Should I even bother contacting Amazon support?

Gotta love how I pre-ordered right after the press conference Monday and now I might not even get it on time because I didn't wait for Amazon to release the 'Launch Edition'? Should I even bother contacting Amazon support?
If you preordered right after the conference you almost certainly have the 'launch edition'. Did you check by going to the page and looking for the 'instant order update' text at the top of the page?

If you preordered right after the conference you almost certainly have the 'launch edition'. Did you check by going to the page and looking for the 'instant order update' text at the top of the page?
I actually just read a few pages back and although it doesn't say in 'My Orders' I actually do have the Launch Edition. Thanks though!

Why does no one on this thread read? The same questions get asked AND answered page after page, page after page. The whole standard/launch edition thing and how to determine if you're getting a launch edition should be put in the first post, along with the whole "this place charges your credit card every week and etc". I must've seen it asked like at least 5-10 times.

Does anyone know how GS system in store pre-orders work for consoles? I was the 2nd person to preorder the ps4 at my store. Does that mean on launch day no matter what I'll be the second to receive my console? As in they rearrange the line according to who preordered it first? Or will it go by who's first in line on launch day? To those who preordered it of course.

Does anyone know how GS system in store pre-orders work for consoles? I was the 2nd person to preorder the ps4 at my store. Does that mean on launch day no matter what I'll be the second to receive my console? As in they rearrange the line according to who preordered it first? Or will it go by who's first in line on launch day? To those who preordered it of course.
From what I understand (and based on the WiiU pre-order scenario) if you already put down a paid pre-order ($100 minimum), then come release date you will have a PS4 system reserved under your name for 48 hours. It just depends how many systems the store will receive during launch day. So if they have at least 2 available, you should be good to go without standing in line. Just call your store the day before and they should be able to confirm whether or not they have your reservation ready.

I preordered mine yesterday morning. I just checked Amazon, and it is the launch edition.

Did the same. Pre-ordered around this time yesterday morning when there was no Standard or Launch edition. Just checked and I'm down for the Launch edition. With the $8 RDD shipping and tax (damn them for having a distribution center in-state) my order came to $432.45.

I'm wondering if the difference between Launch / Standard is just when they'll guarantee a launch day shipment. Either way... pre-ordered and looking forward to it :D

Ok, so my wife preordered the system for me because I was working. She told me she also ordered a controller because the employee told her supplies would be limited.

Maybe they wouldn't be so limited if GameStop wasn't pushing them so hard?

Ok, so my wife preordered the system for me because I was working. She told me she also ordered a controller because the employee told her supplies would be limited.

If you guys want to play two player locally then an extra controller is worth pre-ordering. I doubt they will be on sale anywhere until well into 2014.

What do I do>
The order itself does not indicate (at least not on mine).

First make sure you are logged in to Amazon.

Then go to the page for Playstation 4 preorders. There are two options: "Standard Edition" and "Launch Edition". Probably the "Standard Edition" is selected by default. Switch to the launch one and you should see a yellow bar appear above the page saying:

Instant Order Update for Xxxx Xxxxxx. You purchased this item on June 10, 2013. View this order.
To be 100% sure, switch back to the "standard" and the bar indicating you ordered it should disappear. Or, if it is the other way around you are hosed ;).
The Amazon page says that the Standard and Launch versions are identical, so I doubt it really matters.

Just a reminder...

5% cashback at Amazon with a Chase Freedom card in the 4th quarter (October through December) of 2013.

Get $25 off and get your PlayStation 4 for $379 with no tax for most.
How exactly do i get that 5% to show? Or does it just give me 5% more points? Or is it a credit to the CC after purchase? Sorry i'm so uninformed :p

I'm wondering if the difference between Launch / Standard is just when they'll guarantee a launch day shipment. Either way... pre-ordered and looking forward to it :D
That's exactly what it is. It isn't like the Xbox One. It just differentiates the preorders that will be launch and the ones after launch.

To those with prime are you able to update your shipping speed to one day? I tried to but it only list standard and free two day.

To those with prime are you able to update your shipping speed to one day? I tried to but it only list standard and free two day.
I'm no longer a Prime member, but the two day option said RDD for me. I only had the choice of FSS, Standard, and two day.

For those wondering I got the standard version with prime one day shipping but it is saying January 2, 2014 by 8pm is when I will get it so I am wondering if I am in the 2nd wave or not.

Speaking of which, I don't think we got any confirmation on local co op launch games though. Killzone 3 had nice local co-op through the campaign, but it looks like Shadowfall ditched local co-op.

Preordered from my local Best Buy.  Looking forward to my first launch console despite playing games since the NES.

No, but I have Prime and whenever I preorder games they come the day of release. Think it will be the same with this.
I hope so, just thought it was a little weird that I couldn't upgrade. Also, to those who only have a pre-order at BB (instore specifically) I would try and get a backup plan cause I was there today and was told even if you pre-order you are not guaranteed to get one on launch. I said screw that and I'm just going with GS and Amazon on this.

How are you guys pre-ordering in-store at BB again?  I looked through their little pre-order computer yesterday, and couldn't find listings for either of the next gen systems.

I placed my order on Amazon right after the conference ended.  So once I read about "Standard" and "Launch", I decided to email their support.  The order page itself does not specify.....if I click "launch" it says that I ordered this item on June 10th.  Amazon customer support emails me back and says they show I have "standard".

Time to call Gamestop?

How are you guys pre-ordering in-store at BB again? I looked through their little pre-order computer yesterday, and couldn't find listings for either of the next gen systems.
I had to go to register and ask cashier. She had a store print out of all the SKUs for ps4 and accessories.

Just checked my receipt. BB SKU for system is 8240103. Hope that helps. :)

bread's done
Back