PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

Anyone in NY get a charge yet? Still sitting on Not Yet Shipped but not really surprised since they usually ship out from their NJ warehouse with a 1 day delivery.

Just curious if anyone in the area got a shipment.
I'm in CT, and either get shipped from NJ or NH. Both usually 1 day receipts.
My CC was hit for a couple bucks (I miscalculated tax by a couple bucks) overnight last night and my system is now listed as prepping for shipment.

Few reasons, I'm planning to get the 4 year Geek Squad protection from Bestbuy
-Sony only covers 2 years
-Would have to wait 2 weeks everytime I needed repairs, as opposed to rapid exchange at the store
-Highly likely I'm sent a refurbished or repaired system, as opposed to a new system every time

How much does it cost??
Can you exchange in any bestbuy, even if you move to another state??

Anyone in NY get a charge yet? Still sitting on Not Yet Shipped but not really surprised since they usually ship out from their NJ warehouse with a 1 day delivery.

Just curious if anyone in the area got a shipment.
I'm from NY. Newegg charged me early this morning.

Few reasons, I'm planning to get the 4 year Geek Squad protection from Bestbuy

-Sony only covers 2 years

-Would have to wait 2 weeks everytime I needed repairs, as opposed to rapid exchange at the store

-Highly likely I'm sent a refurbished or repaired system, as opposed to a new system every time
Now hold on, wait a second. You do realize that the Best Buy extended warranty period includes the Sony 1 year warranty right? In other words, if you buy a 4 year warranty from Best Buy, you're only buying a 3 year warranty (years 2-4) because that first year they just use Sony's warranty repair. The Sony warranty extension is only $50 and it's 2 years beyond the manufacturer warranty (years 2-3). That means you're getting a 3 year warranty from Sony for $50 vs a 4 year warranty from BBY for $180 That means you're spending $130 for that last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you exchange in any bestbuy, even if you move to another state??
Yes.

Now hold on, wait a second. You do realize that the Best Buy extended warranty period includes the Sony 1 year warranty right? In other words, if you buy a 4 year warranty from Best Buy, you're only buying a 3 year warranty (years 2-4) because that first year they just use Sony's warranty repair. The Sony warranty extension is only $50 and it's 2 years beyond the manufacturer warranty (years 2-3). That means you're getting a 3 year warranty from Sony for $50 vs a 4 year warranty from BBY for what...$150?
I haven't seen the terms but most of their protections are also consumed if they actually replace the console.

I haven't seen the terms but most of their protections are also consumed if they actually replace the console.
I edited my post because I found the actual price for the 4 year plan, it's 180. And yes, in my experience Best Buy considers the warranty "redeemed" or some such term after the warranty replacement. $180 for a warranty is too much. That's almost 50% of the cost of the console. I'm sure they made it just a little less than that to make it appear less expensive.

I edited my post because I found the actual price for the 4 year plan, it's 180. And yes, in my experience Best Buy considers the warranty "redeemed" or some such term after the warranty replacement. $180 for a warranty is too much. That's almost $50 of the cost of the console. I'm sure they made it just a little less than that to make it appear less expensive.
Where did you find the price for their 4 year warranty? Normally when you go from a 2 year warranty to a 4 year the price doesn't double. For example it would be $19.99 for 2 year warranty on headphones vs. $29.99 4 year warranty.

Woah....just got an best buy email saying by order can't be processed because my credit card info has an error.

I used my stored card, which has had the preauth for months, which I just used for an order two weeks ago. I pre ordered the first hour or two it was live.

If they say I'm not getting one someone at the call center is going to hear about it

Where did you find the price for their 4 year warranty? Normally when you go from a 2 year warranty to a 4 year the price doesn't double. For example it would be $19.99 for 2 year warranty on headphones vs. $29.99 4 year warranty.
From another site where someone reported it. It's possible that it's not accurate. Do you know what the 2 year warranty price is? Keep in mind - a 2 year warranty is only a 1 year warranty because the 1st year is covered by Sony's warranty. A 4 year warranty is a 3 year warranty. In other words with a 3 year warranty Best Buy's liability period isn't doubled, it's tripled.

From another site where someone reported it. It's possible that it's not accurate. Do you know what the 2 year warranty price is? Keep in mind - a 2 year warranty is only a 1 year warranty because the 1st year is covered by Sony's warranty. A 4 year warranty is a 3 year warranty. In other words with a 3 year warranty Best Buy's liability period isn't doubled, it's tripled.
Yeah I know and I don't mind the price increase. But $180 is ridiculous for 4 years. The 2 year warranty is $90, it says so on the Ultimate gaming package page. And to me specifically the Sony warranty will not be used if I'm getting the Geek Squad protection, but only if the price is around $120-$150, not almost $200. I highly doubt the 4 year is $180 because the the price and time don't double at a 1:1 ratio.

b2g1 games shipped yesterday, say ill get today.

ps4 is now preparing for shipping, hopefully I get it tomorrow, still says estimated deliver for friday. Looks like they are going to do 1 day shipping on it.

The 2 year warranty for 90 is still a ripoff imo because it is really a 1 year warranty after the Sony warranty ends (I assume the PS4 has a 1 year warranty)

Although after the first year if it were to brick/break then going to bestbuy for a replacement would be nice.(unless they attempt to repair consoles now?)

Compare that to a squaretrade "3" (really 2 year) year warranty for 53.99 - 30%off code = 39 dollars with free shipping both ways and 5 day guarantee.

That's mostly for laptops and phones. Video game consoles aren't repaired by Bestbuy or Geeksquad. But instead replaced with a new one.
Like I said I haven't seen the terms but for the 360 and PS3 plans they were considered redeemed when they gave you a new console and you would have to purchase another plan if you wanted it still.

Yeah I know and I don't mind the price increase. But $180 is ridiculous for 4 years. The 2 year warranty is $90, it says so on the Ultimate gaming package page. And to me specifically the Sony warranty will not be used if I'm getting the Geek Squad protection, but only if the price is around $120-$150, not almost $200. I highly doubt the 4 year is $180 because the the price and time don't double at a 1:1 ratio.
Look, while I don't know if that price is accurate, my point was that it's not a 1:1 ratio. Best Buy's liability goes up 1:2. In the 2 year warranty they're only responsible for the second year (a single year). In the 4 year warranty they're responsible for year's 2, 3, and 4.

If the console breaks down during year 1 they send it back to Sony for free repair work.

Their liability TRIPLES under a 4 year waranty, not doubles.

The 2 year warranty for 90 is still a ripoff imo because it is really a 1 year warranty after the Sony warranty ends (I assume the PS4 has a 1 year warranty)

Although after the first year if it were to brick/break then going to bestbuy for a replacement would be nice.

Compare that to a squaretrade "3" (really 2 year) year warranty for 53.99 - 30%off code = 39 dollars with free shipping both ways and 5 day guarantee.
The funny thing about SquareTrade is that if your electronics break under the manufacturer warranty period, they don't do anything other than tell you to call the manufacturer for a free repair. Personally I think the Sony warranty for $50 sounds pretty fucking good.

@Blaster, your'e right during the first year square trade does nothing. But you are already covered by Sony so it doesn't really matter much. I thought BB does the same thing during the first year, according to their website for protection plans for gaming it says they will repair it 3 times before handing out a replacement ... which seems even more annoying .

Either way BB is way overpriced and I wouldn't pay for a 2nd year warranty for 90, or 180 for 3 years.

If I absolutely had to buy one.. than squaretrade 2nd and 3rd year for 39dollars would be where my money would go.

So what is better?? Sony or squaretrade??
IMO Sony because SquareTrade limits the repair work to the total cost of the electronics. It's more of an insurance plan than a warranty. Basically, if you buy a $1,000 TV and put it under a SquareTrade warranty then it breaks down and the repair costs $700, they'll pay for the repair. Then if it breaks down again and it costs $800, they'll send you a check for $300 and you're responsible for the other $500. My assumption is that the same is true for the PS4. In other words, you can have it repaired as many times as necessary until the total repair cost hits the cost of the PS4. Once that happens they stop paying.

@Blaster, your'e right during the first year square trade does nothing. But you are already covered by Sony so it doesn't really matter much. I thought BB does the same thing during the first year, according to their website for protection plans for gaming it says they will repair it 3 times before handing out a replacement ... which seems even more annoying .

Either way BB is way overpriced and I wouldn't pay for a 2nd year warranty for 90, or 180 for 3 years.

If I absolutely had to buy one.. than squaretrade 2nd and 3rd year for 39dollars would be where my money would go.
Best Buy used to have a product replacement plan where they would swap it out with one in the store. My understanding is that they really made those plans worse over the last few years.

SquareTrade:

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pop/popup_sampleWarranty.html

LIMIT OF LIABILITY:
The total amount that We will pay for repairs or replacement made in connection with all claims that You make pursuant to this Service Agreement shall not exceed the Coverage Amount of the Product. In the event that We make payments for repairs or replacements, which in the aggregate, are equal to the Coverage Amount, or provide a cash settlement reflecting the replacement cost of a new item of equal features and functionality, We will have no further obligations under this Service Agreement.

of Best Buy's call centres including the elite/ Reward Zone program or down.

http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/terms-and-conditions/index.htm

THIS SERVICE PLAN IS INCLUSIVE OF THE MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY; IT DOES NOT REPLACE THE MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY, BUT PROVIDES CERTAIN ADDITIONAL BENEFITS DURING THE TERM OF THE MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY. LOSSES COVERED BY THE MANUFACTURER DURING THE MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY PERIOD ARE NOT COVERED UNDER THIS SERVICE PLAN

This seems like the 2 year warranty overlaps the manufacturer first year no?

http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/terms-and-conditions/index.htm

THIS SERVICE PLAN IS INCLUSIVE OF THE MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY; IT DOES NOT REPLACE THE MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY, BUT PROVIDES CERTAIN ADDITIONAL BENEFITS DURING THE TERM OF THE MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY. LOSSES COVERED BY THE MANUFACTURER DURING THE MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY PERIOD ARE NOT COVERED UNDER THIS SERVICE PLAN

This seems like the 2 year warranty overlaps the manufacturer first year no?
Yup, looks like it. That means that it's no better than Best Buy's in terms of the warranty period. It's just significantly cheaper.

So will Bestbuy update my instore pick up pre order. It still says payment validated, hopefully it will be ready before midnight tomorrow. Anything think that BB will screw people out of their pre orders?
I have the same thing, but when you go into order summary on the bottom it says "confirming store inventory"

BTW, my preference in terms of warranties is not to pay for any and instead call them and yell at the CSR until they give you a free out of warranty repair. I've done it twice with Xbox 360's and once with my Wii.  Also I did it with some car repair work. 

I remorsefully cancelled my amazon preorder this morning since Walmart is giving me a 25% off thingie for working a bajillion hours on black friday, hopefully PS4 and Xbone are still around in December so I can save $225.

Yup, looks like it. That means that it's no better than Best Buy's in terms of the warranty period. It's just significantly cheaper.
Here's what I'm unsure of:

Sony allows you to buy the warrenty any time during the first year after the console's purchase, correct?

By reading the warrenty terms, it seems like the warrenty is in effect from the date of purchase of the WARRENTY, not the console. At least, that's what I get out of the legalease.

So, if you buy Sony's warrenty on day 363 after purchase, you get 2 years of coverage from that date? That's a question, not a statement.

Legalease is not fun...

I remorsefully cancelled my amazon preorder this morning since Walmart is giving me a 25% off thingie for working a bajillion hours on black friday, hopefully PS4 and Xbone are still around in December so I can save $225.
Read the fine print on that voucher! It VERY OFTEN has exclusions.

My wife got one, a few years back, and consoles and a couple other items were specifically excluded. That very well could have changed, but...I'd make triple sure.

Sony allows you to buy the warrenty any time during the first year after the console's purchase, correct?

By reading the warrenty terms, it seems like the warrenty is in effect from the date of purchase of the WARRENTY, not the console. At least, that's what I get out of the legalease.

So, if you buy Sony's warrenty on day 363 after purchase, you get 2 years of coverage from that date? That's a question, not a statement.

Legalease is not fun...
That sound about right, I'm gonna ask about Bestbuys warranty and pricing when I pick it up tomorrow morning, and when I get home I'll speak to Sony CS and make my decision.

Legalease is not fun...
Unless there's ANOTHER warranty that can be purchased at any time during the first year...

CONSOLE DEVICES (only available for PS3™ and PS4™) - In addition to coverage for Product hardware failures due to defects in workmanship and/or materials, or due to normal wear and tear, this Service Plan also provides coverage for accidental damage from handling (such as drops, liquid spills, and cracks) and failures that occur during normal use and operation in accordance with the manufacturer's written specifications, in an appropriate operating environment. Coverage will apply only if purchased within thirty (30) days from the date Your Product was purchased. Product inspection for neglect or abuse will be performed prior to service and the determination is at the sole discretion of the authorized service provider.

Legalease is not fun...
The site says two years extended from end of manufacturers. The accidental one had to be bought within 30 days, not sure about the non accidental.

Opps, after re-reading that portion I quoted above - it seems to only apply to the accidental coverage.  i guess in case you accidently drop your PS4 into a bathtub?

Unless there's ANOTHER warranty that can be purchased at any time during the first year...

CONSOLE DEVICES (only available for PS3™ and PS4™) - In addition to coverage for Product hardware failures due to defects in workmanship and/or materials, or due to normal wear and tear, this Service Plan also provides coverage for accidental damage from handling (such as drops, liquid spills, and cracks) and failures that occur during normal use and operation in accordance with the manufacturer's written specifications, in an appropriate operating environment. Coverage will apply only if purchased within thirty (30) days from the date Your Product was purchased. Product inspection for neglect or abuse will be performed prior to service and the determination is at the sole discretion of the authorized service provider.
I think that's the accidental (cheaper) version. Definitely have to buy that one within 30 days.

They do have another version...a "non-accidental" (basically, "we cover everything") version, which is more akin to the warrenties being talked about here. That's the one I think you have one year (well, 364 days) from console purchase to buy.

The site says two years extended from end of manufacturers. The accidental one had to be bought within 30 days, not sure about the non accidental.
I saw it on the site, but wasn't sure if that was an "up to 2 years" or "you get 2 years added no matter when you purchase it". Again, the legalease in the actual terms is (as is usually the case) isn't 100% clear to me.

But I like your interpretation. :)

I definitely plan on picking up Sony's warrenty at some point over the next year. Seems worth it, and I was burned by the RROD with my launch 360...so once bitten, twice shy.

Payment to Amazon declined for no reason.  new delivery estimate nov. 19, 2013. NOoooooo.  Had to call amazon customer support in bangledesh, no help.  Ugggghhhh.

Payment to Amazon declined for no reason. new delivery estimate nov. 19, 2013. NOoooooo. Had to call amazon customer support in bangledesh, no help. Ugggghhhh.
Could be fraud control on your card. Call the card issuer, first, and see if they can tell you IF they even tried to authorize the charge (really) and then why it might have been declined.

If they didn't actually hit the card...I'd go ape crazy on them.

One suggestion: Try going into the order, selecting one day shipping, and then try to get Amazon to refund the shipping amount. I've had better luck with that, at times, than trying to tell a whole convoluted story. It's seems it's much easier to get the to react to "refund my shipping" than "this one time at band camp" stories.

Is that regardless of the date of purchase? I mean, their terms state something different which is weird.
what do you mean? it starts from date of delivery, not purchase. you have 30 days from purchase to obtain the accidental plan, but he regular plan you can get it at anytime.

I think that's the accidental (cheaper) version. Definitely have to buy that one within 30 days.

They do have another version...a "non-accidental" (basically, "we cover everything") version, which is more akin to the warrenties being talked about here. That's the one I think you have one year (well, 364 days) from console purchase to buy.
Accidental covers everything

NON-accidental doesn't cover accidents

Get it?

bread's done
Back