PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

For those of you that have played Killzone Shadow fall. Is it worth the $45 newegg wants?
I'm a bit biased since I don't like console shooters but I gave this one a chance and once again Killzone fails to impress. Part of my problem with it is I don't like being forced to use the touchpad for selecting OWL modes but it's only a minor grievance. More importantly the gameplay is super bland: send OWL to do something, sneak past or shoot enemies in the back, rinse repeat. Surprisingly the game doesn't exactly scream next gen in the graphics department either, but I'm probably jaded given I'm used to PC graphics. Environments also feel too artificial and 'clean' if that makes sense, unlike a game like Last of Us where everything is alive and organic. It's just one of those awkward launch titles (you know the type) where developers are still exploring what the new console can do and the quality will just take time and experience to improve. That said, I only lasted about an hour with the game and will probably sell it soon.

So having had some time to digest the PS4 UI and play around with it, I like it but not so much the social branding. I could personally do without all the 'blog wall' interfaces on games and the main UI. I don't need things to look hip; just an interface that has a top-down menu list will suffice guys. The absence of themes seems like a huge oversight considering how they're quick to nickel and dime you for such things in the PS Store and I miss my Dark Souls themes already. Other than that, things feel more streamlined and intuitive. It has a very PC like feel in that you can run games in the background and alt-tab with the PS button to manage things like the store without needing to quit out first.

So question about sharing: I recall Sony saying the last 90s or so is always committed to streaming memory in case you want to capture a moment and make a VOD, but what about recording something for longer? I haven't set up my Twitch yet where you can probably do that on their end, but what about youtube? TBH I didn't mess around with the share button really at all, but if anyone has some knowledge on what it supports I'd like to know how to go about doing stuff like that. Ideally if I could record footage and then transfer it to PC for video editing that would be sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im debating if I should use my 10 PSN code to upgrade COD. I already have BF and Killzone and I didn't really like the Ghosts MP too much. Not sure if its better on the PS4. Plus I think 3 FPS games is a little overkill.

I cant get it to work for some reason, I'm probably doing something wrong.
Im debating if I should use my 10 PSN code to upgrade COD. I already have BF and Killzone and I didn't really like the Ghosts MP too much. Not sure if its better on the PS4. Plus I think 3 FPS games is a little overkill.

I hate that I wasted the free $10 on the upgrade. I been playing COD forever. IMO, Ghosts is complete garbage. My PS3 copy will be up for sale locally tomorrow.

Killzone is not overly impressive in terms of gameplay. It looks beautiful, but there are certain design decisions that just make me scratch my head. Like the OWL UI is in the middle of the screen for the majority of the game. I am having fun playing through it, but if you aren't a killzone fan or someone who is looking for a shooter on the PS4, COD or BF4 is probably a better bet. So far the game is about a 7/10. Sony definitely flexed their muscles in terms of graphics for this one. 

Also I played Contrast and there are a lot of bugs and a few progression blockers that made me reload the game. I was pretty upset because it was one of the downloadable titles I was looking foward to and if it wasn't buggy it would a solid 8-8.5 but the blockers were driving me nuts. Someone people may not run into these bugs and that will probably change their opinion of the game, which in that case, congratulations! Buy a lotto ticket. 

These are typical launch issues and I am not worried about the overall quality of the system, just first day, week, month, 6 month jitters. 

Blahhh mine was a DoA unit, can't fix it with anything.

AZ refunded me $80 without even asking but at this point I don't know if I'd rather just try to buy one at a store or what.

The anticipation is killing me since I can't hook it up until a week or so. I want to know if I have a DoA unit.

If so, I'm just going to return it, get my money back and wait a while for an updated version of the console in a handful of months. I only purchased one game for it, and my backlog is so big, nextgen can wait.

MooseTheCorgi said:
Also I played Contrast and there are a lot of bugs and a few progression blockers that made me reload the game. I was pretty upset because it was one of the downloadable titles I was looking foward to and if it wasn't buggy it would a solid 8-8.5 but the blockers were driving me nuts. Someone people may not run into these bugs and that will probably change their opinion of the game, which in that case, congratulations! Buy a lotto ticket.
Interesting - I'm more than half way through and never had to restart. My character did get hung up a few times on things and I could not jump out - but the circle button (charge attack thing) got me out every time. But yeah, so far it is an 8-8.5 for me. The atmosphere and production on it are great.

Enjoying AC4. Thinking I might pick up BF4 at Walmart a little later this morning. I'm a little worried hearing all these problems, but I have a 3 year replacement plan on my system.

Looking forward to Octodad and N++ more than anything else through 2013. I'll try picking up Skylanders from Walmart on brack friday.

I'm not much of a multiplayer gamer, but enjoy comparing trophy lists and Sleeping Dogs / Assassin's Creed style friend list 'progress challenge' stuff. CAGs feel free to add me :)

Is it eay to return amazon orders? I don't feel comfortable with having the ps4 at the moment. I haven't opened my shipped box at all but do I just file for a return and send I back like that?

I had ordered from Newegg for next-day shipping on Friday. They have no tax in PA and offered a discount for Next Day Shipping ($10). I even had a pre-order with Amazon with Prime that I foolishly canceled. The package was supposed to ship from CA to PA. Ever since Thursday, the package has been in California. I called Fedex and they told me that the package will not arrive until Monday since there was some issue with freight in California.

Interesting - I'm more than half way through and never had to restart. My character did get hung up a few times on things and I could not jump out - but the circle button (charge attack thing) got me out every time. But yeah, so far it is an 8-8.5 for me. The atmosphere and production on it are great.
I'm not halfway, but I agree with everything you said, game is really immersive, really like the jazzy early 20th century vibe the game gives.

As for the Amazon reviews, who knows if all are truth, maybe some Xbots bought systems to flip and are using it as an opportunity to slander. Maybe they are genuine. There is definitely something shady with the same customer writing multiple reviews. But even if all are truly defective, it's 200 of tens of thousands of these that were sent out. And in the first 24 hours how many people are going to write a positive review compared to those who have had a bad experience are going to write a negative one. This is just getting blown up because Xbots finally found a negative in the PS4.

I mean, it was your fault for not updating the payment as soon as your card was cancelled. You're responsible for stuff like that - not Best Buy. They can't be expected to fix your problem when you call in at the last minute. I'd feel sorry for you if the system was actually for you. Hopefully the person who got it actually wanted it and wasn't looking to flip it for profit.
Actually it is their fault. When they e-mail me to fix it then I do fix it within the time frame that they gave me and then they tell me that everything is fine and it isn't that is their fault.The person that I called and gave the new credit card information to didn't do their job. That didn't process it. If they would have processed it then everything would have been fine.

Also the reason for me wanting it doesn't even come into play with what I am talking about. You are just one of those people that get mad when someone flips something for a profit. I eventually do want a PS4 but I rarely ever buy launch editions of systems because of all the problems. There are already plenty of them so that proves my point.

The only thing I've noticed since I booted up my PS4 this morning is when I'm streaming the signal to my tv will cut out randomly and then appear back after a few seconds. I had my stream open to see if the screen went black on there too but it didn't so I'm not sure what's causing that.

Are you fucking serious? Why does everyone think I'm trolling their console of choice?
Oh I don't know, maybe because you're posting a negative article that is over a month old that has no relevance to the discussion, and if it does have relevance your "If true, this is fucked up." sure didn't show any.

Oh I don't know, maybe because you're posting a negative article that is over a month old that has no relevance to the discussion, and if it does have relevance your "If true, this is fucked up." sure didn't show any.
How is an article about manufacturing defects not relevant when people have bricked consoles?

Oh and in case you haven't seen, apparently I troll all video game consoles because I clearly hate video games. Or maybe I'm just more realist than most people.

Weird, I was going to turn my ps4 on and noticed a orange light blinking. I did some research and found out it means the ps4 is on stand by mode. Do you guys know if I can remove the stand by mode? I don't know if this is dangerous in terms of overheating or not

Never mind, I found it
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5050
As long as the fan runs it's probably fine and as long as you don't care about wasting electricity. Back when the Wii can out, people were making claims that WiiConnect24 wasn't harmful then it destroyed peoples GPU's (mine included) and they had to patch in change to run the fan during that mode.

What I don't get is you can download the full Battlefield 4 game, but it's still showing me that you can't do the ps3-ps4 upgrade until November 29th. Has anyone been able to do it?

No issues at all with my PS4 put alot of time into it last night and this morning. The only thing I haven't tried is a blu ray. 

I haven't opened my Battlefield yet because I preordered it for the X1 because most of my online gaming is on that system. Was stuck with BF4 because I had to preorder that bundle because that was all that was available.

I am liking Killzone despite what the reviews say. I jumped last night playing it lone when the audio log came through the controller.

Need to give AC4 a spin today at some point. Wondering what I should trade BF4 at Wally World for. I never had a basketball game. For those of you that have NBA2K14 what's your impressions? I never played any other one.

I need more friends on PSN. Please add me. PSN ID faustus71

I had 2k11 and 2k13 on the ps3. Rented 2k14 for the ps3 when it came out. All are good games, just takes a while to learn all the moves and such. 2k14 for the PS4 just looks super sick. I plan on scooping it up come Black Friday.

I had 2k11 and 2k13 on the ps3. Rented 2k14 for the ps3 when it came out. All are good games, just takes a while to learn all the moves and such. 2k14 for the PS4 just looks super sick. I plan on scooping it up come Black Friday.
Yes indeed it does look great. I don't play too many sports games other then FIFA. Friends school me at Madden and I find jumping into it now after years and years it looks too complicated. I am excited for THE SHOW to come out.

I feel bad for people who are having issues.  I've been playing mine since yesterday with no problems, and I have several people on my friends list who have been doing the same.  The interface is really slick.  I love the messaging, and everything is lightning fast.  The only thing I hate is having to see my real name everywhere instead of my screen name - maybe I just haven't figured this out yet.  I know that my friends can't see my real name.

I've only been playing Lego Marvel, so nothing too impressive next-gen wise, but there is zero load time between anything.

Yes indeed it does look great. I don't play too many sports games other then FIFA. Friends school me at Madden and I find jumping into it now after years and years it looks too complicated. I am excited for THE SHOW to come out.
I suck at sports games also. Just ask anyone who has played Madden with me, or the show, or 2k13...you get the point lol I even let a friend talk me into getting Fifa 13. I owned the game for literally 2 weeks :bs:

BF4 is insane with 64 players, had a blast playing that last night. Only problem was not being able to get into a conquest match, it gave me an error everytime I tried to join. Thats my favorite game mode so it kinda sucked. It also took me a while to get used to using the triggers for shooting, I died plenty of times early on pressing the bumpers instead.

I feel bad for people who are having issues. I've been playing mine since yesterday with no problems, and I have several people on my friends list who have been doing the same. The interface is really slick. I love the messaging, and everything is lightning fast. The only thing I hate is having to see my real name everywhere instead of my screen name - maybe I just haven't figured this out yet. I know that my friends can't see my real name.

I've only been playing Lego Marvel, so nothing too impressive next-gen wise, but there is zero load time between anything.
Same here, man. Hoping they can get their consoles replaced in a timely fashion. I have to admit I was nervous as hell setting mine up yesterday.

are you guys having trouble with the store? Sometimes I am browsing the store and just gets kicked to the main screen. It is strange...
That happened to me a couple of times too.

i feel for anyone having issues...sucks tbh

fwiw i have ps4 from amazon...no issues (knock on wood) played kz, ac4,nba, about to try nfs

used my own hdmi cable, hardwired ethernet, downloaded firmware from psn, standing vertical, store and even uplay working flawlessly

if you havent opened, perhaps sacrifice a chicken or something?

Since I'm one of the unlucky Amazon ones, I think I might just return it and try to find one locally.

Do I have any chance of finding one anywhere today? 

so judging from all the bricked ones, are they mostly from Amazon?
I'd be interested in know this. All the ones that I have been reading about seem to be coming from Amazon. Maybe Amazon got a lot of the first run systems and could be the cause of the problem.

Put me down for a DOA from Amazon.

Since I'm one of the unlucky Amazon ones, I think I might just return it and try to find one locally.

Do I have any chance of finding one anywhere today?
If you have one locally, try a Sony Store. They seem to still have availability. If you are not opposed to a bundle, Amazon seems to periodically get the bundles back in stock (just not the Launch Editions to replace all the broken one :( )

bread's done
Back