PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

That sucks. Amazon said if I cancel the game I lose the promotion. And since NFS was my free game out of it I just won't get anything back. Wish  Amazon would step it up. All the stores around me have stock of the game wish Amazon would fix their's.

I've been reviewing games awhile and split the values down further, down to .s.

I was expecting a good racing game and it delivers and has good graphics, but it has yet to prove to me it's a great racing game. I prefer Forza. That doesn't mean you have a better option right now for PS4 though, as far as racing games go.
Quick question, do you think NFS Rivals is anything like the Burnout games? I really like the Burnout series (especially 3 and Revenge), and watching some videos I felt like it has that vibe to it.

For those of you who bought warranties:

1 From Which Store

2. How Much

3. Amount of Time of Warranty
I bought mine off PSN.
$60 includes accidental coverage for 3 years.
The square trade one people r talking about will only cover the console up to the cost of the console. So if they just ending up giving u $400 to replace it 6 months from now ur warranty will be done. The Sony one from PSN u can replace ur console as many times as u need to within 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the feature where you can charge your controller while the PS4 is off one of the one's that got delayed? I know I can just plug it into my adapter in the wall and charge it that way since it's micro USB.

Also, I'm ordering Need for Speed and Lego Marvel (it sucks because both are out of stock on Amazon, says it'll notify me when they're available) and wondering what you guys think of those 2 games?
It has to be in standby I believe, which is done by holding down the PS button and selecting it.

How'd you come up with the .2? I've heard a lot of great things about the game surprisingly.
When it comes to reviews and really anything on a scale where you get a value for how good you did, it's more accurate to have more precise numbers.

Like some sites do a scale out of 4, which means anything in the 75 - 90+ range will score a 3. Thats not really helpful though.

Other sites do it out of 5, which allows for more variety.

Others do it out of 5 with .5 numbers allowed and that is basically just a 10 point scale (even though people insist a 4.5 and a 9 are different).

A 10 scale with .5 numbers allowed is really just x out of 20.

And a 10 point scale with . numbers allowed is really just a 100 point scale.

The great thing about the 100 point scale is that you can give your scores more meaning, since you're not lumping every game into a class of scores. There are also a lot of games that are awesome, but you might not want to give them that bump, like an 8.2 that gets bumped down to 8 because 8.5 is too high. However, after a 100 point scale it becomes pointless.

Quick question, do you think NFS Rivals is anything like the Burnout games? I really like the Burnout series (especially 3 and Revenge), and watching some videos I felt like it has that vibe to it.
My editor in chief said it reminded him greatly of Burnout.

It has to be in standby I believe, which is done by holding down the PS button and selecting it.

When it comes to reviews and really anything on a scale where you get a value for how good you did, it's more accurate to have more precise numbers.

Like some sites do a scale out of 4, which means anything in the 75 - 90+ range will score a 3. Thats not really helpful though.

Others do it out of 5 with .5 numbers allowed and that is basically just a 10 point scale (even though people insist a 4.5 and a 9 are different).

The great thing about the 100 point scale is that you can give your scores more meaning, since you're not lumping every game into a class of scores. There are also a lot of games that are awesome, but you might not want to give them that bump, like an 8.2 that gets bumped down to 8 because 8.5 is too high. However, after a 100 point scale it becomes pointless.

My editor in chief said it reminded him greatly of Burnout.
Thanks for the info! Looking forward to this game (whenever Amazon finally ships it, not sure what their problem is).

For anyone that pre ordered there ps4 at target, did you have any trouble picking one up?  I know when the wii u came out some targets were letting people pick up there pre orders at a different store then they pre ordered at by mistake.  My brother has a xbox one pre ordered at target and we just want to know if he will run into any problems.

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to this game (whenever Amazon finally ships it, not sure what their problem is).
i ordered mine last tuesday, finally shipped yesterday, expected delivery tomorrow. when i ordered i had that message that said "cannot give an accurate release date" or something like that

@RiPPn, that is a GREAT list right there.  Funnily enough what I was seeing this morning looked closest to the HDD problem they couldn't reproduce (pulse blue, white, off, pulse blue)

Personally, I skip numbers and if I review a game, I rate them as "Awesome", "Good", "Ok", "Not Good", and "Terrible".

For anyone that pre ordered there ps4 at target, did you have any trouble picking one up? I know when the wii u came out some targets were letting people pick up there pre orders at a different store then they pre ordered at by mistake. My brother has a xbox one pre ordered at target and we just want to know if he will run into any problems.
Unless I am mistaken, preorder cards for consoles this time around were numbered. The tea am lead would have gotten a memo by now to tell them exactly how many systems to hold in the back and how many systems to put on display.

The thing is tho, I don't know how long Target holds a reserve. So I would say, to be on the safe side, to be there at console launch.

I prefer my reviews as Buy NAO!, Wait for a sale, wait for bargain bin, don't bother.  :)  Because that's pretty much what plays out in my head when I see a low review ;-P

Unless I am mistaken, preorder cards for consoles this time around were numbered. The tea am lead would have gotten a memo by now to tell them exactly how many systems to hold in the back and how many systems to put on display.

The thing is tho, I don't know how long Target holds a reserve. So I would say, to be on the safe side, to be there at console launch.
They hold them for 7 days, but he will be there release to pick it up.

Sold through = sold to consumers. I think shipped is as good as sold through in this case anyway though seeing as they're pretty much sold out everywhere.

Really interested to see how Xbox compares.
That is indeed a very impressive number.

Xbone won't do as well is my prediction. Taking a poll of my local Gamestops the preorder numbers are still 2:1 in favor of the PS4. If anything, I do think there will be a bigger scarcity issue with the Xbone as compared to the PS4. Sony is pumping these out quick. My local manager (at least for his store) is expecting another restock right before the Xbone launches. Timing wise it's brilliant if they stock the shelves when the Xbone sells out.

Last Friday I had a huge itch to just cave and pickup the console but with everybody's input on the launch games, it only confirms for me not to jump into the next gen just yet. I'm still on the fence as to which system to buy actually.

My Target set aside the same number of PS4s as reservation cards sold. I had multiple people tell me this is how it would, but after the wiiu launch, I decided to go when they opened. They had everyone line up and handed out numbered tickets for the first come first serve systems. When they let us in they had a corresponding number of first come systems (13) behind the counter. 5 people into the line all the employees started saying this is preorders only. One girl, 7th in line believed this and did not ask for clarification. She did not have a reservation so she left. I was still half asleep cause I could not sleep the night before. Otherwise I would of asked for more clarification. They were giving walk in systems to everyone and this line was a mix of preorders and walkins, and everyone had the 1-13 tix for the walking systems When I got closer to the front of the line I asked for clarification. Reserved systems were in the back. They went to get my system and gave a guy in front of me who had a reservation a walkin system, A mild cluster. In the end there were a few people behind me and they gave the last walkin system to the person in front of me.

On another note, a guy walks in and instead of getting in line or asking whats going on, he waits a few minutes. Then he demands, "I would like a PS4 please".

I'm really enjoying Knack so far.
The narrative has a slight Uncharted taste to it.
Me too. It's a very simple game, but I think it's a lot of fun. It can be quite difficult at times too.
Count me as well! Fun and cute story line. Of course every time I get one of the items, The sound it makes when it is going into your inventory reminds me of Dark Cloud. :)

Did Contrast download twice for anyone else? I shows up in the download list twice, and when I tried to delete one, it deleted both.
All my downloaded games have two entries in the dl list. Once as downloaded ane another as installed. Perhaps this is what you saw?

To anyone that has a plasma tv: do you find that the light from the controller is annoying?
No plasma here, but it's annoying in general when trying to plug in USB to recharge. The light is pretty bright and flashing it in your eyes while trying to see the port sucks. It's not really a factor while playing though. Still, wish they hadn't put something like that on there when I have no use for a move controller.

Sony wants to make sure it can meet demand in competitive regions. It is the equivalent of political candidates only campaigning in battleground states and is a smart strategy.
Well said.

For anyone that pre ordered there ps4 at target, did you have any trouble picking one up? I know when the wii u came out some targets were letting people pick up there pre orders at a different store then they pre ordered at by mistake. My brother has a xbox one pre ordered at target and we just want to know if he will run into any problems.
No problems. The employees were very aware of the 'store address' stamped on the cards indicating where the reservation was made. I witnessed an employee informing his replacement of what to look for and how to handle redeeming reservations. As you can imagine some stores will be more thorough than others. As long as you're there by midday you should be fine. There is a away to exploit Target's reservation system but this can be remedied by calling the store on Wednesday AND Thursday and suggest they keep the bottom portion of the reservation card or punch a hole in it if they're going to give it back to the customer.

If anything, I do think there will be a bigger scarcity issue with the Xbone as compared to the PS4. Sony is pumping these out quick. My local manager (at least for his store) is expecting another restock right before the Xbone launches. Timing wise it's brilliant if they stock the shelves when the Xbone sells out.
If Sony is selling consoles at a rate of 2:1 over Microsoft, why do you think the Xbox One will be scarce?

MrFocus said:
If Sony is selling consoles at a rate of 2:1 over Microsoft, why do you think the Xbox One will be scarce?
Sony obviously has had the production going much longer than the X1, so it is reasonable to assume the X1 will be scarce for a brief period of time.

All my downloaded games have two entries in the dl list. Once as downloaded ane another as installed. Perhaps this is what you saw?
My Contrast had 2 files too; I thought it was a repeat but I looked closer, and one was 2+GB and the other was about 600MB i think...maybe one was a "setup" file or something.

So I jumped back on the ps3 to play with some buddies who won't be getting their ps4 until later and wow...I hate the ps3 remote so badly now. 

My biggest complaint is....why must there be so many steps to take to accept a friends request D=

Assuming that there is a slight edge in Sony buyers than MS buyers, that will likely lead to more MS buyers left without a console.

Hypothetical:
150 Sony customers vs 125 MS customers.

100 PS4 consoles vs. 50 Xbone consoles.

The 75 MS customers left out in the cold will drive up the demand more than the 50 Sony customers. Add on top of that, Day One editions will most likely be sold out within the first 24 hours, you'll see a pretty sizable demand for the Day One editions.

Sony obviously has had the production going much longer than the X1, so it is reasonable to assume the X1 will be scarce for a brief period of time.
The demand for the PS4 is obvious. I'm however missing the link between where Sony has been "obviously" producing PS4's long before Microsoft started its' production of the XBone and the "assumption" of scarcity. Where did you hear that Sony started production before Microsoft?

Sony wants to make sure it can meet demand in competitive regions. It is the equivalent of political candidates only campaigning in battleground states and is a smart strategy.
Just seems so weird for Japan to be such a minor player in their launch roll out. I'm sure a lot of it is knowing that they would have to go light everyone's cat on fire to lose to MS in Japan but still.

Just seems so weird for Japan to be such a minor player in their launch roll out. I'm sure a lot of it is knowing that they would have to go light everyone's cat on fire to lose to MS in Japan but still.
They actually said before they are holding back in Japan because they felt the launch lineup didn't really have much that would interest Japanese people so they pushed it back to get some more titles in there.

Example, they have 5 Japanese only games launching with the system in February.

Assuming that there is a slight edge in Sony buyers than MS buyers, that will likely lead to more MS buyers left without a console.

Hypothetical:
150 Sony customers vs 125 MS customers.

100 PS4 consoles vs. 50 Xbone consoles.

The 75 MS customers left out in the cold will drive up the demand more than the 50 Sony customers. Add on top of that, Day One editions will most likely be sold out within the first 24 hours, you'll see a pretty sizable demand for the Day One editions.
Just because Sony is selling more consoles doesn't mean Microsoft will ship less. If the ratio is 2:1 and 100 of each console arrives at the store then there will be 50 XBones sitting on the shelf.

Maybe you're assuming Microsoft produced less units than Sony but basing it on the ratio is comparing two totally separate indicators.

They actually said before they are holding back in Japan because they felt the launch lineup didn't really have much that would interest Japanese people so they pushed it back to get some more titles in there.
Makes sense with their domination over MS there and that NA and EU are more important now for early adoption but it just seems so foreign.

Are people really so naive as to believe that there is no problem with the console just because Sony said it? It's a profit seeking company, not a "look out for the little guy" non-profit. Unless this blows up in their faces, they'll continue to repeat the tiny defect numbers. Have we forgotten what MS said after it's last launch?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/microsoft-responds-to-watchdog
You're the same person that said the defect rate was 50% based off the Amazon reviews. Credibility.

To anyone that has a plasma tv: do you find that the light from the controller is annoying?
When I am in the middle of frantic action in Killzone or Lego Marvel I don't notice it at all. While watching a cutscene I often realize it is there. Very tempted to put tape on the back of the controller.

The demand for the PS4 is obvious. I'm however missing the link between where Sony has been "obviously" producing PS4's long before Microsoft started its' production of the XBone and the "assumption" of scarcity. Where did you hear that Sony started production before Microsoft?
Developers pretty consistently said that PS4 tools and kits were a month or two ahead of XBox One. And Major Nelson announced the XBox One's GPU speed bump after they started test production and internal beta in July (announced on an August 2 podcast).

People are getting retail PS4's with August assembly stamps, so it's fair to assume the PS4 entered mass production at least a couple weeks before XBox one.

Example, they have 5 Japanese only games launching with the system in February.
I know a cover up when I hear one. Their focus is on our beloved U.S. markets.

My Contrast had 2 files too; I thought it was a repeat but I looked closer, and one was 2+GB and the other was about 600MB i think...maybe one was a "setup" file or something.

I believe the smaller one is the title update like version 1.01. Same for resogun and black light

Finally got around to playing my PS4 (famn work and OT). Resogun is phenomenal. Such a great game and free for PS+ to boot. Just picked up COD Ghosts.

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to...ThunderChunky_62

Developers pretty consistently said that PS4 tools and kits were a month or two ahead of XBox One. And Major Nelson announced the XBox One's GPU speed bump after they started test production and internal beta in July (announced on an August 2 podcast).

People are getting retail PS4's with August assembly stamps, so it's fair to assume the PS4 entered mass production at least a couple weeks before XBox one.
Thanks.

Just because Sony is selling more consoles doesn't mean Microsoft will ship less. If the ratio is 2:1 and 100 of each console arrives at the store then there will be 50 XBones sitting on the shelf.

Maybe you're assuming Microsoft produced less units than Sony but basing it on the ratio is comparing two totally separate indicators.
Microsoft had a smaller preorder window than Sony. The fact that they cut off the preorders should be an indication of their initial supply run. Sony releasing in more markets and having publicly started they will do everything they can to fulfill demand are just more indicators they will have a greater supply. Obviously MS will seek to stock the shelves like Sony by the end of the year, but as for launch weekend the point is that the demand is looking like it will exceed the supply.

The link is where the preorder numbers come in. Xbox One only had a set number available, where as PS4 was seemingly limitless.

bread's done
Back