PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

Did anyone on hear preorder their PS4 at Bestbuy and attend a midnight release?

Just trying to understand how the process went. Did you get an email saying your order is ready for pickup? Did the status of order change as date approached?

Thanks
I preordered it then cancelled the preorder. I got no pickup email. Then yesterday the called me and told me it was ready for pickup. I guess that means it's free?

Any thoughts on the fan noise? That's where my concern lies. Haven't opened it yet because of that issue. Really don't want loud fans in my theater room.
Didn't hear the fan at all, but I was playing with a bunch of other people so I doubt I would have noticed it anyway.

It's definitely quieter than my 360 elite console. That thing sounds like a fuck ing shuttle being launched into space when its on.

What I mean was the wiiconnect standby mode, where it keeps downloading stuff. Nintendo officially recognize that was frying Wiis
yeah that's the wii's standby mode. this is the first ive heard about them dying because of that though. i guess i got lucky. it been sitting in the guest room as a netflix machine for a couple years now. lol!

I remember so much talk about playing a game as it's being downloaded. How do you do that? I don't see an option for that. All I see is 'Downloading' and the 'Back' option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone on hear preorder their PS4 at Bestbuy and attend a midnight release?

Just trying to understand how the process went. Did you get an email saying your order is ready for pickup? Did the status of order change as date approached?

Thanks
i preordered online for store pick up, received an email around 5 saying its ready for pickup at the midnight release. Walked into store gave them my cc,id, and order number and picked it up. pretty smooth process

I remember so much talk about playing a game as it's being downloaded. How do you do that? I don't see an option for that. All I see is 'Downloading' and the 'Back' option.
When you download a game, when the icon appears ont he dash board for that game, click on it an it will play the game while the download continues, did it with FIFA, took me straight into a game while it finished downloading.

Wow, I thought Tomb Raider was graphically amazing on the 360, if they do some touch ups, it might be a great next-gen title. Just weird IMO to relaunch a last gen game to next gen.

A quick update on my defective PS4:

I brought it into the Sony Store yesterday, where they said it would be 2-4 days for a replacement. This morning, they called me and told me that they got a few refurbished units in and it would be first come, first served among those who needed a replacement, so I came in right away.

They ended up going through three refurbished units before they found one that didn't have the Blue Light of Death. The good news is that for now, I have a working PS4 just over 24 hours after bringing my broken one into the Sony Store, but it does concern me that even the refurbished units (which were sealed until they tested them in front of me) are having problems, too. (And I'm really glad I didn't send mine in. I would have been furious if the replacement came in defective after waiting 2-3 weeks for it.)

I'm not sure where to ask this, and I tried googling to no avail. I've downloaded Contrast but can't install it. It just says "installing application" and the little circle spins forever, but the game does not actually install. I even deleted and re-downloaded the game, and it happened again. This did not happen to me with Resogun. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Ughhh, it's so damn disappointing that I received a brick from Amazon. There was absolutely no fucking reason for me to preorder because of it. Preordered in June and I probably won't find one before January. Plus I'm sitting on 6 games I can't even play. :whistle2:(

A quick update on my defective PS4:

I brought it into the Sony Store yesterday, where they said it would be 2-4 days for a replacement. This morning, they called me and told me that they got a few refurbished units in and it would be first come, first served among those who needed a replacement, so I came in right away.

They ended up going through three refurbished units before they found one that didn't have the Blue Light of Death. The good news is that for now, I have a working PS4 just over 24 hours after bringing my broken one into the Sony Store, but it does concern me that even the refurbished units (which were sealed until they tested them in front of me) are having problems, too. (And I'm really glad I didn't send mine in. I would have been furious if the replacement came in defective after waiting 2-3 weeks for it.)
This is a huge red flag for me. The fact that we pay almost 500 dollars for a PS4 and we're given refurbished units. That's kind of ridiculous. That's the reason why I took back my bricked PS4 back to best buy! I didn't want to send it to sony and have them send me back a loose, refurbished PS4 unit. I'll wait until stores get additional units and pick one up. Specifically best buy. They give you your money back in full if your item doesn't work.

Good luck with your new (or refurbished) unit! :D

Just like in store pickup they will email you when they receive it and say you can pick up at midnight. Most Best Buys had two lines, Preorders and walk ups. Everyone pays before midnight and then when midnight hits you give them the receipt and you walk out with your console.
thanks. How early did you get there?

This is a huge red flag for me. The fact that we pay almost 500 dollars for a PS4 and we're given refurbished units. That's kind of ridiculous. That's the reason why I took back my bricked PS4 back to best buy! I didn't want to send it to sony and have them send me back a loose, refurbished PS4 unit. I'll wait until stores get additional units and pick one up. Specifically best buy. They give you your money back in full if your item doesn't work.

I was actually hoping I'd be better off with a refurbished unit, the theory being that they would actually test all of the refurbs instead of the spot check they probably do with new units. But based on my experience today, I guess not. I'm hoping for the best, but I suspect this won't be the last time I walk into the Sony Store with my PS4.

Also, since I signed the sheet acknowledging the receipt of each replacement PS4 before they tested it, can I officially claim to be on my 4th PS4?

thanks. How early did you get there?
I didn't, I just worked there and people have talked about how it worked.. I drove past a Best Buy near my house around 4 and there was a pretty big line, mostly for unclaimed. If you have a system preordered I would say around 10 you could get there? that is usually when they start checking people out

I was actually hoping I'd be better off with a refurbished unit, the theory being that they would actually test all of the refurbs instead of the spot check they probably do with new units. But based on my experience today, I guess not. I'm hoping for the best, but I suspect this won't be the last time I walk into the Sony Store with my PS4.

Also, since I signed the sheet acknowledging the receipt of each replacement PS4 before they tested it, can I officially claim to be on my 4th PS4?
Do they still have stock at the Sony store? Is this the sony store in NYC?

Thank God I'm not the only one having this problem. EA is supposed to be getting back to me in the next day or two about what's up.
LOL. I thought I was the only one too. Hopefully we get some good info. Keep me updated, please. :D

Do they still have stock at the Sony store? Is this the sony store in NYC?
No, it's the one in Seattle. No idea if they have any left, but as I understood it, this shipment was for the people who had already brought their defective systems in. The Sony Store is still probably the fastest route to a replacement, though, since it seems like they're getting refurbs in just about every day.

Pretty sure they werent actual refurbished units. Way too quick for that,and the fact they didnt work should be a dead giveaway. Same way we do it at apple, whenever a new item launches, we're sent replacement units that are just the main item itself, in a non retail non-accessory included box. Refurbished units usually start showing up about a month after, as the faulty launch hardware has actually had a chance to now be refurbished and tested.

Pretty sure they werent actual refurbished units. Way too quick for that,and the fact they didnt work should be a dead giveaway. Same way we do it at apple, whenever a new item launches, we're sent replacement units that are just the main item itself, in a non retail non-accessory included box. Refurbished units usually start showing up about a month after, as the faulty launch hardware has actually had a chance to now be refurbished and tested.
Yeah I think he got a new console but in bulk non retail packaging. It looks like Amazon is setting up the same thing so CS reps have a way to do exchanges on faulty systems.

If sony store are already receiving refurb units, does that mean that sony already knew of this problem even before launch and these units came from earlier batches from testers and such? This sucks! If i bought a new item and its dead out of the box, i wouldnt accept anything less than a brand new one as a replacement.

Not necessarily.  A refurb can be a console that failed their QA testing during production so was looped back through to be repaired and refurbished.  It's perfectly normal for companies to have refurbished products like this right away since they use them to cover the warranty and can't sell them new.

Not necessarily. A refurb can be a console that failed their QA testing during production so was looped back through to be repaired and refurbished. It's perfectly normal for companies to have refurbished products like this right away since they use them to cover the warranty and can't sell them new.
This, depending on their test flow, even some first run shipments may be "refurbished" by the strictest definition.

Not necessarily. A refurb can be a console that failed their QA testing during production so was looped back through to be repaired and refurbished. It's perfectly normal for companies to have refurbished products like this right away since they use them to cover the warranty and can't sell them new.

Id still would want one that has a retail box than one that comes from from a generic box or something. Just fortunate that mine runs ok and i wouldnt have to experience what others are experiencing. These unfortunately people should atleast get something more back for the hassle sony put them through like let say a $10 psn card or something. Heck they had to spend extra time, money and effort just to have the working unit they where suppose to receive in the first place.

and now people are reporting problems with the DS4

dualshock-4-analogue-sticks-wearing-out-increasingly-fast-exebm.jpg

dualshock-4-analogue-sticks-wearing-out-increasingly-fast-f1nie.png

dualshock-4-analogue-sticks-wearing-out-increasingly-fast-srchc.jpg

Mine is still going strong, but WTH??? 3 days after launch and you can see that already??? :hot: What is gonna happen while playing street fighter LOL

Mine is still going strong, but WTH??? 3 days after launch and you can see that already??? :hot:
I would take that with a grain of salt since that's exactly what the controllers at BBY on the demo units look like. So there is definite truth to it but I can't help but think that after less than a week someone's actually worn their controller like that from normal use when mine are still just fine.

dualshock-4-analogue-sticks-wearing-out-increasingly-fast-exebm.jpg

dualshock-4-analogue-sticks-wearing-out-increasingly-fast-f1nie.png

dualshock-4-analogue-sticks-wearing-out-increasingly-fast-srchc.jpg

Mine is still going strong, but WTH??? 3 days after launch and you can see that already??? :hot: What is gonna happen while playing street fighter LOL

Sweaty hands or mishandling? Wouldnt think Sony would skip stress testing materials before putting these badboys in production.

Well right away I thought the analog sticks on the dualshock4 seemed cheap. Don't like the outer ridge around it and it would make sense it would wear down rather quickly. I have dualshock 2 controllers that have had probably thousands of hours of use and their sticks are still in good shape. A $60 controller should be made to last a long time, but it doesn't appear anything about the PS4 is built to last long.

Anyone still have the $5 off PSN at Amazon from the B2G1 they won't be using on their account. I'd like to get the ACIV season pass for $15.

bread's done
Back